My shortcoming/being shallow?

Lynn

Okay, not quite a rant, but sort of. And sort of moaning.

It's just that if I see one more witch/pagan with a title in front of their name such as, Rev. so and so, or Sorceress such and such, or Mistress, or magistrate, ahhgggg!!! How petty is that? Why the heck should I even care? Is it a gut reaction? Perhaps it just seems fake or forced or put-on to me? Reminds me too much of christian fundy ministers? :wacko:

*sigh* :sickwitch:

Maybe I just have PMS or sumpthin. :spellcaster:

Now that I wrote it down, it seems even more ridiculous and shallow. I guess I'll go through posting it, Heck at least everyone will see the good AND the bad of me. Good way to get to know someone. I might chicken out after awhile tho and alter this, lol.:pumpkin_rolleyes:

Okay, not quite a rant, but sort of. And sort of moaning.

It's just that if I see one more witch/pagan with a title in front of their name such as, Rev. so and so, or Sorceress such and such, or Mistress, or magistrate, ahhgggg!!! How petty is that? Why the heck should I even care? Is it a gut reaction? Perhaps it just seems fake or forced or put-on to me? Reminds me too much of christian fundy ministers? :wacko:

*sigh* :sickwitch:

Maybe I just have PMS or sumpthin. :spellcaster:

Now that I wrote it down, it seems even more ridiculous and shallow. I guess I'll go through posting it, Heck at least everyone will see the good AND the bad of me. Good way to get to know someone. I might chicken out after awhile tho and alter this, lol.:pumpkin_rolleyes:

Toooooooo Late....Lynn......... I "captured" it ! LOL ! Don't be so hard on yourself, some just like to flaunt their Ego, in my opinion in regards to the Craft. Now in fairness, I don't have a problem when someone EARNS their degree's and such in the mundane world. IE: Doctor, Professor, .... they earned that title with hard work, that to me is deserving of that title, and possibly are defined by that achievement.

Regards,

Gypsy

Toooooooo Late....Lynn......... I "captured" it ! LOL ! Don't be so hard on yourself, some just like to flaunt their Ego, in my opinion in regards to the Craft. Now in fairness, I don't have a problem when someone EARNS their degree's and such in the mundane world. IE: Doctor, Professor, .... they earned that title with hard work, that to me is deserving of that title, and possibly are defined by that achievement.

Regards,

Gypsy

Aren't people within the craft working hard in ther workings. Well they should be atleast. I'm not ordained nor do I feel called to be in this moment and time. But if I did and I went to an interfaith ministerial group/school etc. I would feel as if I worked just as hard as anyone else to use reverend, etc.

Same goes for title f sorcerer/ess. Perhaps the people that are using these titles have put forth big sacriices and hunks of their lives to their path. I know we all work daily on our path, but some go through certain trials and experiences and come out changed on the other side. To me they have earned the right to use the title.

Of course some people do just had big egos and using a fancy title feeds that part of them. But it makes no matter to me personally one way or another. I have my own path to work, and my own spirits/familiars/etc. I have to work with and feed. Should I have to go through an initiatory rite brought on by the spirit world, and upon succeeding at it I am given a title by the spirits and led to share and teach the information I will use the title. But until then my birth name is fine.

I've got no problems with it, depends on the person. Some people who call themselves doctors aren't actually doctors, and some who call themselves magisters etc. aren't really that. Overall though, if someone uses a title like that I assume that they've done something to earn it or that it means something to them. If they're a douchbag I judge them on their douchbagginess, but try not to attach that to their title so I don't accidentally judge a really cool person as a douchbag in the future, just because they use the same title.

I totally get that Raven, its an achievement, I have no problem with a Peer that has earned the right to be called a Bukor. That is a title also, that in that Tradition carries alot of weight and admiration to those who walk that path. I also recognize and appreciate those in the Craft who are still humbled and teachable by their experiance. They walk the talk, unlike some of others who think that having a title, gives them entitlement over another's belief system, and have the arrogance to look down on another, because they want you to change your thinking to align with theirs.

Just because they have a title, doesn't be " they've arrived " at all there is to be a Witch. I'll be a practicing Witch, untill I take my last breath. Think about this..... some " Titles " gets one into trouble, how's that for hiding in plain sight ? lol ! I'm not sure one would want certain notoriety, but then again.... maybe so.

Regards,

Gypsy

I've got no problems with it, depends on the person. Some people who call themselves doctors aren't actually doctors, and some who call themselves magisters etc. aren't really that. Overall though, if someone uses a title like that I assume that they've done something to earn it or that it means something to them. If they're a douchbag I judge them on their douchbagginess, but try not to attach that to their title so I don't accidentally judge a really cool person as a douchbag in the future, just because they use the same title.

^ Yup. If it makes 'em feel good to use the title, let 'em. To quote some really famous person (I'm sure - a nobody wouldn't have said something so memorable), it's what's inside that counts.

I think its a little off putting in the context of a TW forum, to see a fancy title like Priestess or Priest or Rev, I bristle a little if I don't already know the person. However, I do my best to put my biases aside. I think those sorts of titles are so connected with religion that its a little off putting in a community that is more non religious or focused on self guided spirituality.

I think its a little off putting in the context of a TW forum, to see a fancy title like Priestess or Priest or Rev, I bristle a little if I don't already know the person. However, I do my best to put my biases aside. I think those sorts of titles are so connected with religion that its a little off putting in a community that is more non religious or focused on self guided spirituality.

I quite agree!

I agree, too. To each their own, I guess, but there really is no purpose for that sort of thing here. I read the title and think . . . yeah, whatever. Really doesn't amount to a hill of beans to me, personally.

I totally get that Raven, its an achievement, I have no problem with a Peer that has earned the right to be called a Bukor. That is a title also, that in that Tradition carries alot of weight and admiration to those who walk that path. I also recognize and appreciate those in the Craft who are still humbled and teachable by their experiance. They walk the talk, unlike some of others who think that having a title, gives them entitlement over another's belief system, and have the arrogance to look down on another, because they want you to change your thinking to align with theirs.

Just because they have a title, doesn't be " they've arrived " at all there is to be a Witch. I'll be a practicing Witch, untill I take my last breath. Think about this..... some " Titles " gets one into trouble, how's that for hiding in plain sight ? lol ! I'm not sure one would want certain notoriety, but then again.... maybe so.

Regards,

Gypsy

I totally agree with what youve written here. I personally may or may not use a title should i ever receive one based on the noteriety factor.

Some people have to "come out of the closet" if they are wanting to do work such as readings, rituals, have a coven, etc.

I've had to come out twice once for being gay, and secondly when I opened my etsy store and linked it to my Facebook. I don't have a self claimed title but im still not 100% hiding in plain site due to my small business.

So a title doesn't necessarily make someone a douchebag it just sometimes help point them out.

It's interesting the way people view this sort of thing. I have a title, one I earned and worked hard for and recieved upon initiation but I don't really use it all that much. I know there are people out there who get the titles and use them as a means to promote themselves as extremely knowledgeable or powerful and do abuse it and of course, half the time make up the title instead of actually earning it in a legitimate fashion. I by no means think my title makes me knowledgeable, in fact there is so much more to learn that I wouldn't even be presumptuous enough to claim that I know a lot about any one thing or that I am an expert. I know in Traditional Witchcraft titles don't mean much and to be fair I did earn it before I fully embraced this path but I'm not ashamed of it nor do I deny it. However if I was to start a coven or meetup group it would be handy because it would indicate that I have had training and experience that would allow for me to be qualified to do so. I prefer to go by my given name, I like my name and it suits me for now, my 'intiation' name also suits me and at that time was completely relevant also.

I quite agree that self-imposed titles of that sort are rather silly. It occurs to me that hoary old spirits, if truly provoked, are able without my added judgement to make their displeasure known. Perhaps, however, it is possible that some people would use this sort of thing more as a self-realization fetish or method of reinvention more for their own use than for anyone else's.

I dont really care one way or another. It doesn't impact my path in anyway. Someone could call themselves Princess Moonbeam Rainbow-Ass and I would shrug and say "Hey Princess, how's it going." B)

I dont really care one way or another. It doesn't impact my path in anyway. Someone could call themselves Princess Moonbeam Rainbow-Ass and I would shrug and say "Hey Princess, how's it going." B)

I have to say I like the way you think there Whiterose; I was thinking Princess Bramblepuss Deluxe, Oracle of the New Age, but thought that might be a little too sarcastic sickwitch.gif

I know that in some circumstances people of a family will state their lineage when working with the otherworld, it leaves no error of who that person is and what stands pehind that person, especially in certain situations. And I know that in other traditional covens some members have titles (which are often more like job-descriptions). My finding with new-age things is often people will do a thing, or an adulteration of a thing, not knowing its original reason or purpose for being done so misunderstand and therefore mis-use the custom. Sometimes I have wondered if the usage of a new-age-bestowed title, or even a self-made up title, is not reflective of a misunderstanding of some of these usages.

M

Regards,

Gypsy

Oh definitely! I don't mind that at all! Like you said, they earned it through hard work . Anyway, I know a few profs . One's my Dad. :)

Oh phooey--captured eh? *sigh* Yeah i have to admit when I woke up this morning and remembered this post, I was a bit mortified.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head Aloe. I think I am too judgmental and prone to eye-rolling--that I do allow that to happen. But each person I meet in person, I do treat with respect and I am open to them being an excellent person, as opposed to "expecting": them to be an idiot, or someone putting on false airs. I think I get that attitude more with seeing the title and name in print, or beside a photo of the person.

Thanks for your comments and all!!

I'm hip. ;)

I quite agree that self-imposed titles of that sort are rather silly. It occurs to me that hoary old spirits, if truly provoked, are able without my added judgement to make their displeasure known. Perhaps, however, it is possible that some people would use this sort of thing more as a self-realization fetish or method of reinvention more for their own use than for anyone else's.

Thats an interesting idea. Sort of like changing one's name legally to declare the past is the past; this is who I am now. Thanks!

BUT would you be able to say that with a straight face???????????

Hello all, princess rainbow arss aurora here "snort" sorry, I just can't help myself hehe .To be honest,I really don't give a fart. It dose not impress me much, whatever the title you bear,I'll know if i like you or should agree with you,if I agree that you are right.

Hello all, princess rainbow arss aurora here "snort" sorry, I just can't help myself hehe .To be honest,I really don't give a fart. It dose not impress me much, whatever the title you bear,I'll know if i like you or should agree with you,if I agree that you are right.

You know I've been comming back to Lynn's post a few times today. Something was bugging me ! I'm not picking on Aurora but I like this candor she sets forth.

What and why do Witches even entertain the thought process of having " short commings or being shallow " ? That's what furrows my brows about this.

When a Witch looks within, and embraces the power that is there to deal with situations and issues the way the Witch with self knowledge acquired sees fit, I personally would not call that a " short comming, or shallow ".

My Peer Witches are a very confident sort of folk, at least from what I've observed and when I've sought their council and wisdom on a few things, they have readilly pointed me in the right direction, and 9 times out of 10 have told me... " What's your gut, telling you ? " When I've come to a place in my Path, that I can't quite reason the whys or how comes, my Witch Peers advise me to " look within ".

Oftimes, one gets so hung up on the frustration of the complexity of a certain thing, that one forgets to be silent and listen to that inner voice of crystal clear reason.

Regards,

Gypsy

I have to say I like the way you think there Whiterose; I was thinking Princess Bramblepuss Deluxe, Oracle of the New Age, but thought that might be a little too sarcastic sickwitch.gif

Lol, that's a good one too. :laugh:

BUT would you be able to say that with a straight face???????????

Most definately..... then I would laugh like a fool after they walked away. :roflhard:

You know I've been comming back to Lynn's post a few times today. Something was bugging me ! I'm not picking on Aurora but I like this candor she sets forth.

What and why do Witches even entertain the thought process of having " short commings or being shallow " ? That's what furrows my brows about this. . . .

Regards,

Gypsy

I agree with CG. I do not see how speaking your mind and being straight forward is a short-coming at all. Some people who use fancy titles out of context ARE being pompous asses. Some, but not all. If someone has issue with you pointing this out, I say that is their problem. I think enough folks here have offered the alternative perspective to balance out the discussion, but it isn't necessary for you to give yourself a verbal spanking to show how nice you really are. You spoke the truth and weren't overly mean or derogatory about it, after all.

Jevne

My finding with new-age things is often people will do a thing, or an adulteration of a thing, not knowing its original reason or purpose for being done so misunderstand and therefore mis-use the custom. Sometimes I have wondered if the usage of a new-age-bestowed title, or even a self-made up title, is not reflective of a misunderstanding of some of these usages.

M

I agree with you on this. So many things have been borrowed from so many places that unless a person really searches for where a practice came from and how it has changed since then, the practice no longer makes sense. Even from the perspective of a person who doesn't necessarily see the world from a 'logical' perspective.

Archived