• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 seacow

seacow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

Since we live in the same country, I can give you some advice, though I don't know whether you live up North or down South.. And no, this is NOT meant to sound like a guide to acquire drugs of any kind, just want to give a helping hand ;)

For the question considering Psilocybe semilanceata (also known as liberty caps) , I would recommend you to wait maybe a month or two still. In the North (like Kuopio/Oulu and such) the season comes earlier, and the shrooms seem to be a bit more effective. Here South, the season is probably due October, if the warm weather seems to stay the way it is - unfortunately, the later the summer lasts, the more the season delays. I had a chat with a friend the other day, and he seemed quite confident though that September would be the perfect time to start!
If you've never found liberty caps, here's some advice. First of all; it takes time and patience, I would even say a meditative/spiritual state. Do not try to rush or force the gifts to be relieved too early, Mama Nature knows just when you should spot the first ones - and usually, once you spot one, there most definately is a bunch nearby!
Second of all; take time to scout the perfect place. Though once you know how to "think like a shroom" the places are pretty easy to find, but on the first try you'll probably be less lucky. Try to look for a damp place (usually you should try just after it has rained) on a meadow - birches and grass that grows on bunches (ruohotuppaat) are a good indicator of a spot. Our luckiest spots were on an old cow pasture and a sheep pasture.

I recommend to be very cautious with liberty caps, since shrooms always have something to tell. Sometimes they'll show you how beautiful the nature is, sometimes they just make you go all question marks, which doesn't necessarily help during a working. Though, if you just want to listen to what this piece of Nature has to offer and say, it requires a bit of courage and an open mind. A watcher, "tripsitter", is good to have around - someone from the "real world" you can rely on, and someone to remind you that everything is ok, at times of doubt. I once was the tripsitter for a friend on shrooms for the first time, and she acted like I was the Great Wise One - or her mother. "Can I sit down now? Can I use the toilet? Hahahah I wanna laugh - is it ok if I laugh? Hey why do I feel this weird? Is it ok if I feel this way? Hey wtf am I doing?" And I of course answered all her questions - to her, they were very important and valid.

I wouldn't recommend trying to get ayahuasca in Finland. There are some people who do it, but since they are not shamans, I do not trust what they do - of course, if you would brew it yourself, it would be a whole different thing, yet I feel that for the trip to be "perfect", there'd still need to be that one shaman taking it further and further.

I'm from Espoo, so I guess I'll still have to wait a while! :/ but oh we'll, more time to think.

And yeah, I'm not jumping into anything, going to really think about this. I wan to try it though. Part of my heritage is shamanism, and I would like to delve deeper into that.

Go I hate typing on the phone..

#42 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

In the past I have tried drugs for recreation and they were just that, for fun although that’s a long time ago now.

Herbs are different, they demand respect from the user for what they can do. I don’t agree with the thought that plants have spirits or intelligences, they are what they are, and their constituents can have an effect on the body and on the mind.

I have psilocybin mushrooms growing on a nearby rugby field from September to November, amanita muscari growing in a nature reserve about ten miles from here at the same time of the year as psilocybin. My garden grows datura (thornapple), henbane and deadly nightshade freely; datura grows wherever it throws its seed, henbane needs to be grown in my greenhouse, it’s too cold here for the seed to germinate at the right time, and nightshade throws out roots so it covers the whole of the part of the garden it occupies. There is also hemlock growing in the lanes around here, distincive by the olive colour of the leaves, the smoothness of the stem and the purple marks, one to definately leave alone as its very toxic, having nothing to recommend it except probably death.

My favourite is nightshade; it’s relatively gentle compared with the others and can be used combined with others to heighten the experience.

The difference between using mind altering herbs for pleasure and for working is that for pleasure it’s an experience where the herb leads the way, when working it works best if its controlled, and the best way of doing this I have found is to be led through the working by someone who has knowledge of how to do it.

In my opinion it’s difficult enough to discern imagination from reality when dealing with the realms and those who exist there, without using drugs or herbs to confuse the situation. This is where someone leading the working comes in handy.

Edited by atropa, 18 August 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#43 snowebird

snowebird

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

This is an intriguing topic. I know personally, I enjoy having a drink or two to get the mental lubrication going when I want to do divination or ritual, not to say it counts as a "drug" but it helps put me in a different state of mind, and I only do it every once in a while. I have used mushrooms once, for recreational purposes and had such a terrifying experience I can't imagine a) doing it again or incorporating it with magic. I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying, if you don't take the time to study, learn, and develop a relationship with whichever herb you plan on using, it can have nasty side effects. Everyone I've spoken to says to make sure you're in the right state of mind, and need to be in a place you feel safe before doing any kind of hallucinogen, and I think proper preparation is part of that.

Edited by snowebird, 19 August 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#44 Petra

Petra

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:41 AM

There is a book about this topic that might be helpful to you: The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs, by Richard Alan Miller

I don't have the book, so cannot comment on it. However, it's on my Amazon wish list, as I have read multiple places about the effectiveness of mushrooms (in particular) in spiritual practice. Have not personally tried them, though.

Edited by Petra, 22 September 2012 - 03:44 AM.

#45 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

1348285292[/url]' post='134238']
There is a book about this topic that might be helpful to you: The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs, by Richard Alan Miller

I don't have the book, so cannot comment on it. However, it's on my Amazon wish list, as I have read multiple places about the effectiveness of mushrooms (in particular) in spiritual practice. Have not personally tried them, though.

It's not a bad book small but quite nicely researched and written, it's on my shelves.

#46 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

I was pretty undecided about posting to this thread after all my huddy is a cop lol so I think you will understand my hesitation about posting here. I want to say up front I would never discuse any of your choices with him and even if I did he would not act on that unless someones life was in imminent danger, I think we can all agree if some one was threatening to blow up a federal building or school law enforcment officers (Leo ) should be contacted. Ok enough about that, yor probably going to find my views a bit suprising lol.

I live inside the boundrys of a reservation so certain laws for drug use in ceremonial settings don't apply. That's because tribal members have been using certain halucanagentics for centurys. Here we mainly use peyote for these ceremonies, it's never just one person and it's approached with reverence and a deep desire to expend our spiritual knowladge. Having participated in these ceremonies and rituals I can say they open the mind in a whole new and diffrent way. The objective is not to get high it's to see visions and communicate with the spirits, that's why there's ritual cleansing and chanting sometimes prayer or meditation before hand. I have never gotten a hangover afterwards probably because it doesn't take a lot to push you through the barrier once your in the right state of mind.

I don't advocate drug use for the goal of getting high, I also don't suggest breaking the law as the consiquences are costly in many ways. There are however some legal halucanagentics that are more natural and might help get you to a place you might not archive with out it. Even alcohol , sage, Tabaco and other herbs can help induce the right state if used properly. I have and will never use anything not found in nature to get to that spiritual state. These are very sacred and highly traditional ceremony's , and I have to say that it drives me a little nuts when some people try to make out like its some crazy drug binge . I do think you can practice magic with out these halucanagentics and that I never use them on my own or even usually it's only during the ceremonies or rituals where we are following a deep ancestoral tradition.

Edited by Athena, 22 September 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#47 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

Here we mainly use peyote for these ceremonies, it's never just one person and it's approached with reverence and a deep desire to expend our spiritual knowladge. Having participated in these ceremonies and rituals I can say they open the mind in a whole new and diffrent way. The objective is not to get high it's to see visions and communicate with the spirits, that's why there's ritual cleansing and chanting sometimes prayer or meditation before hand. I have never gotten a hangover afterwards probably because it doesn't take a lot to push you through the barrier once your in the right state of mind.

I don't advocate drug use for the goal of getting high, I also don't suggest breaking the law as the consiquences are costly in many ways. Even alcohol , sage, Tabaco and other herbs can help induce the right state if used properly. I have and will never use anything not found in nature to get to that spiritual state. These are very sacred and highly traditional ceremony's , and I have to say that it drives me a little nuts when some people try to make out like its some crazy drug binge . I do think you can practice magic with out these halucanagentics and that I never use them on my own or even usually it's only during the ceremonies or rituals where we are following a deep ancestoral tradition.

( The Highlighting of her words are mine ) Thank you Athena, your wisdom couldn't be more crystal clear on these points.

I've not experianced the use of an outside herbal assistant, but in all honesty I would like to try to reach a deeper spiritual connection with it. For myself my mindset towards alchohol has always been recreational, I really believe I couldn't get passed that mindset. I've never practiced my Path workings under the influence of alchohol, due to it's my mindset of recreation, and not a spiritual connection. Tobacco, I have used when going to the cemetary, but I don't smoke, only there, or I've left it as an offering.

I too, am on the fringe of a Reservation, and I know the catholic priests up here grow a " special plant ", and when they interact with the Native Americans up here, they smoke that to incorporate that NA Tradition with various ceremonies. Trust me, it's not Sage, they are working with.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#48 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Interesting responses here on how people view the link between drugs and magic. I don't actually mix the two myself. I use alcohol and certain herbal/non herbal drugs for relaxation purposes. I have no interest at all in "getting high" but I like the mellow peace of resting my mind with certain substances. Its actually not as effective for me as a prolonged session of meditation would be but it has the advantage that taking a substance can be a much quicker way to get to a stage of relaxation. I wouldn't use alcohol (beyond ceremonial wine in moderation) in ritual work as I want my mind to be alert and focused and alcohol will make me sleepy and less with it. Same with drugs, I have no problem with using them but I don't want to blur my experiences in my rituals. I personally would not feel my experiences were genuine if I was under the influence. That's a personal viewpoint and I wouldn't say other people using drugs in ritual were having a less genuine experience but I know the way MY mind reacts and I know what's right for me.
Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#49 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I was pretty undecided about posting to this thread after all my huddy is a cop lol so I think you will understand my hesitation about posting here. I want to say up front I would never discuse any of your choices with him and even if I did he would not act on that unless someones life was in imminent danger, I think we can all agree if some one was threatening to blow up a federal building or school law enforcment officers (Leo ) should be contacted. Ok enough about that, yor probably going to find my views a bit suprising lol.

lol your views are exactly what I expected them to be. ;)

BTW, we have other cop-spouses, and at least two actual cop members here that I know of.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#50 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:14 PM

Are there any witches out there who use drugs to stay rooted in this realm?

After an extended hiatus from the "real world", during which time I developed my esoteric knowledge and abilities in a controlled environment with few interferences from the outside world, I discovered upon re-entering society that I attracted a great deal of attention (nearly all of it unwanted, mundane as well as magical). I have since begun using certain substances to both blend in and stay grounded. Although using these plants is only temporary and will not become a lifestyle, I feel that- aside from the rare benefit of stress relief- my primary intentions with them are to protect myself and my Craft.

(Using substances for this purpose sounds like the "easy" way to address an obviously bigger problem, but sometimes the stage of Life isn't set up to adequately accomodate all of our needs, regardless of how hard we're willing to work to manage those needs.)

#51 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

I am so so so sensitive to substances. I don't use drugs or alcohol as they hinder anything for me.

#52 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

I'll have a drink every now and then, and have considered using it for magic, but that's about the only substance I can take. I tried marijuana once, and spent the entire night regretting it. I HATE not having complete control of my faculties.  Part of my problem is how unpredictable it can be. I'm an insomniac so even my response to booze can change daily. I don't always realize how little sleep I may have gotten the night before, so some days I can drink my 6'2'' Romanian husband under the table, other days half a beer will knock me flat on my ass.