53 replies to this topic

#41 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Getting back to the topic at hand- I understand that there are elements of the craft, what interests me is when one element sort of rules for a person. Say you are more of a Seer than a Necromancer, for example. It seems reasonable to me that for some people their practice is going to revolve over one aspect. For example, Sarah Lawless revolves around Necromancy (as far as I can tell).

I'm curious as to how others feel about this in their own practice. Do you have one aspect your practice revolves around? Do you still attempt to incorporate other aspects or do you not see the need? Do you feel newbs should focus on what suits them or seek a "well rounded" education in the craft by touching on different aspects, whatever those may be?

Just speaking for myself, my goal is to be as well rounded as possible-but I have to work hard at a lot of things. For example, the subject of herbs and plants has been the hardest for me, and the most elusive, because I have, for the longest time, had an incredibly hard time keeping plants alive and connecting with them. I actually killed a cactus once that my mother had bought me. LOL!

I think because my mother is such a natural with plants & we always had them around growing up, I couldn't understand why I had such a black thumb. Finally, after years of trying, I think I figured out where the disconnect was <through a lot of reading and a bit of trial and error> and now I am growing my own successfully. Being someone who more or less has a natural inclination to "spiritual" things, it dawned on me one day, that I wasn't connecting to the spirit of the plant. Once I started on this road, it seemed I learned how to grow them. So, thinking about it, I guess I took an aspect of the craft I was already inclined toward, and used it to connect to another aspect of the craft that I was having trouble with, to find success.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#42 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

What ever happened to just getting off one's behind and just doing ?

Example : Take one native plant to your area, and learning all there is to know about that certain plant, and the whys of it, most animists believe if not all of them that, that particular plant has a soul, and offers a dualistic approach to a Path and or The Craft.

Example : Take one Tarot card and study it throughly, take that Tarot card and put it up to another in a different Deck, examine the symbolism, the colors used, find the interpretation.

Example : Study a local tree in your area, look into it's lore what plants are this tree's allies, what grows around it.

Example : Take one herb like Bay Leaf, why is it attached to the Craft, if your path is aligned with the Divinities, what God or Goddess benefits the Witch by the usage of this pantry herb ? Study the herb and it's otherworldly meaning.

Once one has exhausted all measures of ascribing the knowledge one has learned by a particular method or application, write it down, for reference for future exploration. Take the initiative to challange oneself. One will not succeed if one doesn't attempt.

Personally, I'm endeavoring to create by my hands a special healing candle, made entirely from materials that are Bee related. I've not worked much with insects or their attachment to the Craft, but I do know from what I'm studying that, that particular Kingdom of Insects for me, offers illumination for my individual Journey. I'm using everything at my disposal for this, books, my Peer's council and wisdom, the internet, and now a simple telephone call. I won't rest untill I have all that I acquire by my own activity in my quest for this, as I strongly believe that outcomes are important keys to the Witch.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#43 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

I like this thought CG,I do believe IMO,that most of us have a natural afinaty with in one aspect of a craft,but to access all round knowledge should be something to strive for.It can be so easily done, as you have stated.one small step at a time.A leaf that has fallen,what is it called,what tree dose it come from, what uses ,what lore etc .It can only make you stronger.

#44 Coyote

Coyote

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:07 AM

Very nice and to the point, Sara.

Funny as we walk our own paths and do our own thing many of us seldom stop and try to break it all down in our heads like that.
What you say makes a lot of sense and I bet that its a very valuable bit of info for someone just starting out.

When I started out the web (as it is today anyway) didn't even exist yet! Newcomers these days have access to a wealth of information on here and what
you posted is a nice little jewel for those who are new.

Regards

C

#45 Bast13

Bast13

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Thank you for this! So informative... as one who is "new" to this but has always been curious, I find it kind of marvelous that I've been doing so many of these things already without even realizing it!! The automatic drawing especially...I've been on fire with this one!

#46 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

I find that I am heavily enjoying the "put down the book and go do it" method. I'm still trying to find a balance between "traditional" (as in, what other people do that works) learning and doing things for myself to find out what works, and I imagine I'll be continuing to find the balance for some time.

For example, I spent two days trying to find the "best" way to protect the entrances & mirrors in my home, before I realized that I hadn't once sat down and asked myself what I thought would work and what I could do with the resources around me. So I cooked up something to put around all the doorways and windows, worked out a statement of intent, painted up my house, and as soon as I got done I realized what I did was ineffective. If I had found some ritual in a book or online, I would have probably followed it to the letter and just assumed it would work, without even bothering to ask myself basic questions or learn anything from the experience. I wasted two days trying to get book learning on a subject when fifteen minutes of actual witchy work taught me a couple of very valuable lessons.

I've noticed that when I'm in a new city, if someone else is driving, I would never be able to find my way home. But when I'm at the wheel and it's up to me to navigate, I'm never lost. I think it is often best to kick other people out of the driver's seat and explore on your own for a while.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#47 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

Do the bump!!!

bumpy bumpy bumpiddy bumpiddy

;)

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#48 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the bump!
I have the problem that I can't get started or don't finish. Still working on it because I'm not going to get anything done this way.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#49 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

I think that sometimes we intellectualize ourselves into a corner, over think, and thus impede our progress.  Pick something simple, and do it...

Just my 2c.  If you need help, if you have a discussion point, feel free to post, start a new topic, or what you feel you need to do!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#50 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

I think that sometimes we intellectualize ourselves into a corner, over think, and thus impede our progress.  Pick something simple, and do it...

Just my 2c.  If you need help, if you have a discussion point, feel free to post, start a new topic, or what you feel you need to do!

My lord, this is quite topical for me lately.

[avatar source]

#51 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

Nothing to see here... :ninja:

Edited by Wexler, 07 May 2014 - 11:01 PM.

[avatar source]

#52 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

LOL

Just do the dew.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#53 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:17 PM

Thank you SS for the organized list of TW topics. It is exactly what I was looking for. Lists really pull the thought processes together. These five topics are all things I do, some obviously better than others, but they are all a part of the daily do-list. I learned them through contact with other people or through natural exposure and experience, without books. Not until some books fell on my head did I know these things had names. And once you know the name, it empowers the will.

#54 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

Oddly enough, sometimes things are obscured...A subject that you should have ran across on the internet or through books escapes your attention and you haven't read the common knowledge. You discover it on your own and work with it. It isn't until you have experience with the subject that you find the written material. 

That's a way that your guidance teaches you, because having preconceived ideas impedes your own discoveries. Once you have understanding of the material then you can find the written confirmation and further explanation of what you have uncovered on your own. This validates your experience.