Sign in to follow this  
Vicky

Basics of binding

As far as the binding of children, I would absolutely bind my child or stepchild to myself as a safety measure. My step-daughter just started kindergarten, and I think a binding would be an excellent way to keep tabs on how she's doing during the day. Unfortunately, we live in some scary times for school children, and I think this binding would give me a measure of reassurance. 

I think that's an acceptable use for binding on children.  As a sort of cord of connection to better protect the child.  

There was a question on here about whether or not a banishing would be better than using a binding (restrictive type) on a child.  To that I answer, it depends on details of the situation but in theory I agree.  In my situation, it would not have helped because the bullying was occurring at school, on the way home from school and at the park and other places my sister would play. It was a group spear headed by one child.  This little girl was following her around town to torment her for whatever reason.  This was the kind of bullying where kids push other kids in front of vehicles and physically beat them, not calling names and lowering self esteem. After the cops being called and it still happening, I took action. This girl has not been a problem since.  She is bound from harming my sister and I will not release it.  This will not happen again. 

I think it is perfectly acceptable to bind a child if that child is repeatedly trying to cause damage to another living being. If not stopped that type of behavior has the potential to grow and turn the child in to a criminal.

I also think it may be acceptable to bind a child's abilities in the case of a witch's child, if the child can not deal with it mentally and is being tormented by it; as in the case of seeing spirits at a young age, for instance at toddler age and preschool age.  This type of binding should be reevaluated when the child develops a little more at the discretion of the parent witch. Not everyone may agree with this, but I feel that children should not have to deal with that until they know what they are seeing and how to handle it and are able to keep quiet about it so they don't end up trying to be medicated by a "well meaning" school or teacher, which is very damaging. I believe that children should have the option to be children and not be tormented by things that others can not see and they should be able to choose whether or not they want to enter that world at a given age where they have more of an understanding of what it is and what is going on. That age will vary by family but for me I would wait to ask that child at about 14 or 15 depending on the maturity of the child. At that age, more formal teaching can begin and the binding lifted. I would see no reason, though, to bind a child that could handle their abilities or handle them with a little parental coaching. Each child is different.  What I speak of is the children that are very emotionally upset by what they see and are ruled by their fear and can not over come it.  Not everyone sees the same "kinds of things". These are just my beliefs, I'm sure other will not subscribe to them.

How do you feel on the topic of binding the abilities of a child witch?

• Upvote 2

I agree with you Whitrose. If the child wants it and is okay with it, then no binding, but if not, I would give them the choice (if they are able to make a wise choice)regarding abilities.

As for the bullies, they need to be stopped, and your child protected.

. . . I also think it may be acceptable to bind a child's abilities in the case of a witch's child, if the child can not deal with it mentally and is being tormented by it; as in the case of seeing spirits at a young age, for instance at toddler age and preschool age.  This type of binding should be reevaluated when the child develops a little more at the discretion of the parent witch. Not everyone may agree with this, but I feel that children should not have to deal with that until they know what they are seeing and how to handle it and are able to keep quiet about it so they don't end up trying to be medicated by a "well meaning" school or teacher, which is very damaging. I believe that children should have the option to be children and not be tormented by things that others can not see and they should be able to choose whether or not they want to enter that world at a given age where they have more of an understanding of what it is and what is going on. That age will vary by family but for me I would wait to ask that child at about 14 or 15 depending on the maturity of the child. At that age, more formal teaching can begin and the binding lifted. I would see no reason, though, to bind a child that could handle their abilities or handle them with a little parental coaching. Each child is different.  What I speak of is the children that are very emotionally upset by what they see and are ruled by their fear and can not over come it.  Not everyone sees the same "kinds of things". These are just my beliefs, I'm sure other will not subscribe to them.

How do you feel on the topic of binding the abilities of a child witch?

To an extent, I agree; however, as you stated it would depend on the situation.  IMO, any adult, who is able to bind another's powers in that manner, however, should also have the ability to protect the child from such torment, through spells or other means.  Hence, making binding one of many options.  It would not be my first.  I am pretty sure that members of my family took a variety of actions in my best interest, but based on what I can recall and what I know about them now, a complete binding was not and is not their style.  Of course, I was not paralyzed by fear, as you stated.  If the situation had been different, perhaps their actions would have been different, too.

I do not think I would bind any type of ability, whether a natural talent for seeing or for playing the piano (on child progedy scale). I believe  you can stop a person from doing something with a binding, but I don't think one could change that person's nature or any talents (whether good or bad ones) they may have. One could stop a person from having access to a piano, or something happens to their hands, etc., or the physical behaviour of playing is bound to them, but I don't think one could take away the talent and desire to play. Not if it's born into them. Same with a child who happens to be born with a specific talent to see things. For me, personally, if I had a child who saw things, I would spend much time talking to them about it, acknowledgeing it so they didn't think they were crazy, discussing the importance of privacy as most of their friends will not be able to see it and will therefor judge it by society's standards, teaching them good manners and common-sense protection when dealing with strangers (including spiritual ones). And very importantly how to protect. 

As parents we teach our children about human "strangers"  and how to manage such situations. Which ones are safe, what to do if you don't know, (i.e. if you get separated from mum and dad at a shopping mall, go into the first store and up to the cashier and ask them to call security and find your parents for you - don't just jump into the car of a stranger who offers you a lift home, etc.).  From the time he could talk I spoke to my child about human strangers, and also taught him the questions to ask himself when trying to figure out the situation (Would my parents allow me to do this? Does doing this make me feel funny? etc.). Had my child been one who saw spirits, I would have taught him the same things when dealing with non-human strangers. But for me, walking him through it daily, as if it were a natural thing, would be my first answer. And if he could see house and land spirits, then he would know some are friends and it could be discussed which ones to trust, that are known to one's family, and which ones to treat politely but as strangers.

This culture spends a lot of time protecting people from everything rather than teaching people good boundries and common sense self-protections, even to the extent of having laws that cars must come to a stop by school busses so the kids don't get run over. As my dad used to say, it'd make a helluva lot more sense to teach the kids how to cross the street safely.  We create a false sense of security that the world will protect them from every possible mishap. And to me that's just not reality. Bad things happen, and for me it's more empowering for a child to grow up accepting that, and knowing how best to protect themselves and who they can turn to for back-up.

M

• Upvote 2

... Bad things happen, and for me it's more empowering for a child to grow up accepting that, and knowing how best to protect themselves and who they can turn to for back-up.

M

Your entire post (not just the above) makes a great deal of sense to me.  It is my belief, from what I have seen, that the approach that you describe is the one taken by many experienced Witch parents.  In extreme cases, as mentioned by Whiterose, binding might be an option, but it would not be my preference.  To me, binding a child's ability sends the wrong message. 

I  For me, personally, if I had a child who saw things, I would spend much time talking to them about it, acknowledgeing it so they didn't think they were crazy, discussing the importance of privacy as most of their friends will not be able to see it and will therefor judge it by society's standards, teaching them good manners and common-sense protection when dealing with strangers (including spiritual ones). And very importantly how to protect. 

. But for me, walking him through it daily, as if it were a natural thing, would be my first answer. 

M

Of course this would be the first thing to do I agree, but normal instances is not what I'm talking about as I stated in my post. 

This is a great thread!

Before I go completely in a different direction regarding binding spells, I want to applaud Michele's connection to bindings being infused into knot work (such as Macreme & Tatting), needle work, & even making Dream Catchers. With every stich either a thought, memory, and even emotion is being tied into a tapestry of different energies.

As far as using binding spells on, or teaching children, the only type I have used is to teach a child using knots in friendship bracelets, as a promise of friendship. If the friendship ends, cut it off & dispose of it as appropo. :wink:

Now, my favorite, & really ONLY kind of binding I do, these days is to "Bind" my herbs, when preparing to dry them. I gatherthem in a bunch, noose them with twine, to preserve thier purpose. After drying, de-stemming, and the dry leaves are tightly stored, I burn the bunched stems in a small fire for the purpose I deem fit.

Here's a pic, if it will post. :biggrin:

[url=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/Willaus_pics/media/HerbBinding.jpg.html]HerbBinding.jpg[/url

What about using binding as a sort of emotional control for extreme emotions?  Has anyone tried or done this?  For instance binding an irrational fear of something. This is something I am thinking about right now and have been advised by the spirits that there are unforeseen consequences using this method. It makes sense and I would imagine the emotion being bound would sink in to the subconscious and if not dealt with would eventually explode through its bounds at some later date. Though I wonder if its applicable for a temporary time period. Say, in the case of fear, when one is in that exact situation to face it.  For instance speaking in public. As long as one were to release the bounds right after, I would imagine there would be no harm done and the person could work to overcome their fear by systematic desensitization. Thoughts?

I did once a very long time ago.  It did not turn out well.

I understand what you're getting at with the public speaking thing but if it's not released completely it just leads to more problems.

Did you ever see the movie Click?  This guy gets a magical remote control and ends up losing out on just about everything.  You just want to get through this one thing and it worked out ok so you try it again with something slightly different and before you know it - you lose everything important.

To me, any irrational fear is still a fear and fear of a specific thing can sometimes BE rational. So I think it would be hard to have a spell decipher the difference between when the fear of, say an illness, is a rational one (and thereby a warning) or an irrational one. I think that for me I would more try to recognize the fear/emotion and not feed it and do a working to boost my courage, confidence and especially my understanding and interpretations of the symbols/fears. Work with something/item that knew well and relates to  (insert the thing one fears) and would thereby help my fears of it be more rational, or at least grounded in understanding the feared thing (which would go a long way for me to ratiionalizing the fear).

M

My understanding of binding, which is based on the assumption that the Witch is responsible for the person or thing bound, makes the binding of emotion of any kind an undesirable option.  If the emotion is mine, I engage it, own it, and either come to terms with it or discard it.  If the emotion is someone else's, I am generally not interested in binding me or them to it, as I would view it as feeding it.  In most cases, I would encourage the person to work through the emotion.  If they chose to bind it for a short period that would certainly be a viable option.

My understanding of binding, which is based on the assumption that the Witch is responsible for the person or thing bound, makes the binding of emotion of any kind an undesirable option.  If the emotion is mine, I engage it, own it, and either come to terms with it or discard it.  If the emotion is someone else's, I am generally not interested in binding me or them to it, as I would view it as feeding it.  In most cases, I would encourage the person to work through the emotion.  If they chose to bind it for a short period that would certainly be a viable option.

This last part is what I was thinking of, just long enough for the person to remove themselves from or endure the situation.  I agree though that working through it is the better option. 

I bound someone from using some knowledge they had about me to hurt me when they were upset.  In retrospect, I think a spell to make them forget what they knew or at least make them ignorant to it's possible impact on me would have been better.  Binding them the way I did was overkill and caused their emotion to build like a pressure cooker and they weren't really able to do anything about it and were confused as to why.  They constantly turned to me for help with the emotion because they were connected to me through it even though they didn't understand why and in the end, I had to be there for them and help them work through it and get them back on their feet emotionally.  That kind of responsibility was definitely not what I expected to happen when I cast. 

Edited by Aloe

Was editing my run on sentence for better grammar and double posted lol.  

Edited by Aloe

I bound someone from using some knowledge they had about me to hurt me when they were upset.  In retrospect, I think a spell to make them forget what they knew or at least make them ignorant to it's possible impact on me would have been better.  Binding them the way I did was overkill and caused their emotion to build like a pressure cooker and they weren't really able to do anything about it and were confused as to why.  They constantly turned to me for help with the emotion because they were connected to me through it even though they didn't understand why and in the end, I had to be there for them and help them work through it and get them back on their feet emotionally.  That kind of responsibility was definitely not what I expected to happen when I cast. 

This is the part I was concerned about.  I don't think I will actually do this, its more me thinking out loud at this point.  I have been advised not to do this for the reason in your post. I was just wondering if maybe I did it a certain way for a limited time, I could avoid that effect.  Considering CGs post in another thread of what I would call the "fantasia effect" it has a potential to go south and beyond the goals and timing constraints. I need to think through what would be a better course of action so I'm not forced to deal with unexpected consequences.  Thanks everyone.  :)

And if it's not dealt with it can cause a fracture within the soul.

And if it's not dealt with it can cause a fracture within the soul.

I don't believe in fracturing the soul. 

Soul Retrieval is an established practice within Shamanic circles.  Whether you or I believe in it or not  - there are people are do.  I'm just putting it out there as a possible consequence.

I hope things work out for you in the best way possible.

I don't believe in fracturing the soul. 

Neither do I . . . haven't we discussed this somewhere?  LOL!

Neither do I . . . haven't we discussed this somewhere?  LOL!

Yes I think so, but hell if I can find it.  If I remember right the forum was kind of split on the subject. 

I was actually looking for information on binding spirits in vessels

and how to use them later on. So i read the whole thread...but didn't find

what I was looking for.

BUT i found it very interesting. Interesting enough to bring it back to

life :smile: and I found information and inspiration to work on other angels in

some other works of mine. Especially in one where i planned curse-work

...now i see that I can put less work in it and get greater results by doing

just a small binding in the right place and the intended victim will fuck things

up all on his own. Nice

Edited by Ogga

Welcome to the lazy witch club. Better results with less work - go you!

Sign in to follow this