• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 SnowflakeObsidian

SnowflakeObsidian

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

Sorry if this is considered necromancy, but this binding business has really got me interested. I did perform a binding spell on one of my bosses and myself. The intent was to become better coworkers and personal friends. (I greatly admire him and find myself wanting to just sit around and have him talk nonstop about his days in the Navy. I'm a sucker for real-life adventures.)

I used floss (not dental floss :P... the kind people use in stitchwork or friendship bracelets), tied one knot for each of us, with a knot in the middle symbolizing us being joined together, all the while chanting my intention. Afterwards, I burned the floss. I'm sure most would have kept the floss or buried it, but burning to me seems to be a way to release the concentrated energy of the knots into the air and let the surrounding energies carry it off into the world.

I'm sure I'll have to perform another spell in order to prevent gossip. There's a striking age difference between us (he's in his 50s, I'm in my early 30s), we're both married, but, well... rumors do like to fly around sometimes. Hopefully people see it as a father and daughter type relationship, but as the saying goes, you can never be too careful. I rather like our conversations.

#42 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

I have a few questions.

1: Why would this be necromancy?

2: How are you going to undo the binding should you no longer want it?  

3: What do you gain through this spell; what is your goal?

I ask these questions because it seems to me a little like trying to get out a splinter with a butcher knife; meaning it may be overkill what you want to achieve. It may work, but it also may do more damage than its worth. Would it not have been better to do something like a honey jar, if friendship and conversation is your goal? To me sounds like it may end up creating more problems if you two are bound to each other, especially if you two are oath bound to spouses. 

#43 Havilland

Havilland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

Pretty sure the necromancy comment is about bumping an old thread.  A lot of forums use that term for it.

I agree with WR that the binding itself was probably overkill.  It sounds like you enjoy his company and companionship but you already mentioned that because of growing closer there is likely to be rumors and gossip.  I'm a fan of burning things when I do spell work, but I don't think I'd burn a binding thread.  Life changes and once he's bound to you for awhile you may wish to be able to untie some of the knots.

Who knows, maybe you'll get your own real life adventure out of it ;)

#44 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:38 AM

Sorry if this is considered necromancy, but this binding business has really got me interested. I did perform a binding spell on one of my bosses and myself. The intent was to become better coworkers and personal friends. (I greatly admire him and find myself wanting to just sit around and have him talk nonstop about his days in the Navy. I'm a sucker for real-life adventures.)

. . .

I'm sure I'll have to perform another spell in order to prevent gossip. There's a striking age difference between us (he's in his 50s, I'm in my early 30s), we're both married, but, well... rumors do like to fly around sometimes. Hopefully people see it as a father and daughter type relationship, but as the saying goes, you can never be too careful. I rather like our conversations.

If you are truly friends, and he likes you (as a friend), and you like him (as a friend), the binding is overkill (and frankly a little suspect - like creepy, stalker suspect).  If I were his spouse (or yours), I certainly wouldn't appreciate a binding of my significant other to anyone, regardless of the proclaimed innocence of the intent.  A spell to bring harmony and cooperation to the entire team with a caveat to cultivate personal relationships, naturally, seems less likely to cause trouble for either of you, and wouldn't need to be followed by an anti-gossip spell. 

#45 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

Binding spells can be pretty powerful- you could be stuck with the person forever on some plane. I use them sparingly.

Edited by Belwenda, 31 August 2013 - 07:59 PM.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#46 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Err.  I'm not sure why you did that spell, but I'm sure you had your reasons.

Burning knot/binding spells is a traditional way to UNDO them when they're done, so you might be more ok than you think.  Heh.

Edited by Aurelian, 31 August 2013 - 08:04 PM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#47 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Good point.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#48 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

One word ..........Surreptitiously
Indeed you have your intent.

#49 Deminotus

Deminotus

Advanced Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

Err.  I'm not sure why you did that spell, but I'm sure you had your reasons.

Burning knot/binding spells is a traditional way to UNDO them when they're done, so you might be more ok than you think.  Heh.

That's exactly what i was thinking. You never know with intent/will though. I have heard of stranger things working to some degree.

all that glitters isn't gold

#50 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

As far as the binding of children, I would absolutely bind my child or stepchild to myself as a safety measure. My step-daughter just started kindergarten, and I think a binding would be an excellent way to keep tabs on how she's doing during the day. Unfortunately, we live in some scary times for school children, and I think this binding would give me a measure of reassurance. 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#51 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

As far as the binding of children, I would absolutely bind my child or stepchild to myself as a safety measure. My step-daughter just started kindergarten, and I think a binding would be an excellent way to keep tabs on how she's doing during the day. Unfortunately, we live in some scary times for school children, and I think this binding would give me a measure of reassurance. 

I think that's an acceptable use for binding on children.  As a sort of cord of connection to better protect the child.  

There was a question on here about whether or not a banishing would be better than using a binding (restrictive type) on a child.  To that I answer, it depends on details of the situation but in theory I agree.  In my situation, it would not have helped because the bullying was occurring at school, on the way home from school and at the park and other places my sister would play. It was a group spear headed by one child.  This little girl was following her around town to torment her for whatever reason.  This was the kind of bullying where kids push other kids in front of vehicles and physically beat them, not calling names and lowering self esteem. After the cops being called and it still happening, I took action. This girl has not been a problem since.  She is bound from harming my sister and I will not release it.  This will not happen again. 

I think it is perfectly acceptable to bind a child if that child is repeatedly trying to cause damage to another living being. If not stopped that type of behavior has the potential to grow and turn the child in to a criminal.

I also think it may be acceptable to bind a child's abilities in the case of a witch's child, if the child can not deal with it mentally and is being tormented by it; as in the case of seeing spirits at a young age, for instance at toddler age and preschool age.  This type of binding should be reevaluated when the child develops a little more at the discretion of the parent witch. Not everyone may agree with this, but I feel that children should not have to deal with that until they know what they are seeing and how to handle it and are able to keep quiet about it so they don't end up trying to be medicated by a "well meaning" school or teacher, which is very damaging. I believe that children should have the option to be children and not be tormented by things that others can not see and they should be able to choose whether or not they want to enter that world at a given age where they have more of an understanding of what it is and what is going on. That age will vary by family but for me I would wait to ask that child at about 14 or 15 depending on the maturity of the child. At that age, more formal teaching can begin and the binding lifted. I would see no reason, though, to bind a child that could handle their abilities or handle them with a little parental coaching. Each child is different.  What I speak of is the children that are very emotionally upset by what they see and are ruled by their fear and can not over come it.  Not everyone sees the same "kinds of things". These are just my beliefs, I'm sure other will not subscribe to them.

How do you feel on the topic of binding the abilities of a child witch?

#52 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

I agree with you Whitrose. If the child wants it and is okay with it, then no binding, but if not, I would give them the choice (if they are able to make a wise choice)regarding abilities.

As for the bullies, they need to be stopped, and your child protected.

#53 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

. . . I also think it may be acceptable to bind a child's abilities in the case of a witch's child, if the child can not deal with it mentally and is being tormented by it; as in the case of seeing spirits at a young age, for instance at toddler age and preschool age.  This type of binding should be reevaluated when the child develops a little more at the discretion of the parent witch. Not everyone may agree with this, but I feel that children should not have to deal with that until they know what they are seeing and how to handle it and are able to keep quiet about it so they don't end up trying to be medicated by a "well meaning" school or teacher, which is very damaging. I believe that children should have the option to be children and not be tormented by things that others can not see and they should be able to choose whether or not they want to enter that world at a given age where they have more of an understanding of what it is and what is going on. That age will vary by family but for me I would wait to ask that child at about 14 or 15 depending on the maturity of the child. At that age, more formal teaching can begin and the binding lifted. I would see no reason, though, to bind a child that could handle their abilities or handle them with a little parental coaching. Each child is different.  What I speak of is the children that are very emotionally upset by what they see and are ruled by their fear and can not over come it.  Not everyone sees the same "kinds of things". These are just my beliefs, I'm sure other will not subscribe to them.

How do you feel on the topic of binding the abilities of a child witch?

To an extent, I agree; however, as you stated it would depend on the situation.  IMO, any adult, who is able to bind another's powers in that manner, however, should also have the ability to protect the child from such torment, through spells or other means.  Hence, making binding one of many options.  It would not be my first.  I am pretty sure that members of my family took a variety of actions in my best interest, but based on what I can recall and what I know about them now, a complete binding was not and is not their style.  Of course, I was not paralyzed by fear, as you stated.  If the situation had been different, perhaps their actions would have been different, too.

#54 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

I do not think I would bind any type of ability, whether a natural talent for seeing or for playing the piano (on child progedy scale). I believe  you can stop a person from doing something with a binding, but I don't think one could change that person's nature or any talents (whether good or bad ones) they may have. One could stop a person from having access to a piano, or something happens to their hands, etc., or the physical behaviour of playing is bound to them, but I don't think one could take away the talent and desire to play. Not if it's born into them. Same with a child who happens to be born with a specific talent to see things. For me, personally, if I had a child who saw things, I would spend much time talking to them about it, acknowledgeing it so they didn't think they were crazy, discussing the importance of privacy as most of their friends will not be able to see it and will therefor judge it by society's standards, teaching them good manners and common-sense protection when dealing with strangers (including spiritual ones). And very importantly how to protect. 

As parents we teach our children about human "strangers"  and how to manage such situations. Which ones are safe, what to do if you don't know, (i.e. if you get separated from mum and dad at a shopping mall, go into the first store and up to the cashier and ask them to call security and find your parents for you - don't just jump into the car of a stranger who offers you a lift home, etc.).  From the time he could talk I spoke to my child about human strangers, and also taught him the questions to ask himself when trying to figure out the situation (Would my parents allow me to do this? Does doing this make me feel funny? etc.). Had my child been one who saw spirits, I would have taught him the same things when dealing with non-human strangers. But for me, walking him through it daily, as if it were a natural thing, would be my first answer. And if he could see house and land spirits, then he would know some are friends and it could be discussed which ones to trust, that are known to one's family, and which ones to treat politely but as strangers.

This culture spends a lot of time protecting people from everything rather than teaching people good boundries and common sense self-protections, even to the extent of having laws that cars must come to a stop by school busses so the kids don't get run over. As my dad used to say, it'd make a helluva lot more sense to teach the kids how to cross the street safely.  We create a false sense of security that the world will protect them from every possible mishap. And to me that's just not reality. Bad things happen, and for me it's more empowering for a child to grow up accepting that, and knowing how best to protect themselves and who they can turn to for back-up.

M

#55 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

... Bad things happen, and for me it's more empowering for a child to grow up accepting that, and knowing how best to protect themselves and who they can turn to for back-up.

M

Your entire post (not just the above) makes a great deal of sense to me.  It is my belief, from what I have seen, that the approach that you describe is the one taken by many experienced Witch parents.  In extreme cases, as mentioned by Whiterose, binding might be an option, but it would not be my preference.  To me, binding a child's ability sends the wrong message. 

#56 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

I  For me, personally, if I had a child who saw things, I would spend much time talking to them about it, acknowledgeing it so they didn't think they were crazy, discussing the importance of privacy as most of their friends will not be able to see it and will therefor judge it by society's standards, teaching them good manners and common-sense protection when dealing with strangers (including spiritual ones). And very importantly how to protect. 

. But for me, walking him through it daily, as if it were a natural thing, would be my first answer. 

M

Of course this would be the first thing to do I agree, but normal instances is not what I'm talking about as I stated in my post. 

#57 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

This is a great thread!

Before I go completely in a different direction regarding binding spells, I want to applaud Michele's connection to bindings being infused into knot work (such as Macreme & Tatting), needle work, & even making Dream Catchers. With every stich either a thought, memory, and even emotion is being tied into a tapestry of different energies.

As far as using binding spells on, or teaching children, the only type I have used is to teach a child using knots in friendship bracelets, as a promise of friendship. If the friendship ends, cut it off & dispose of it as appropo. :wink:

Now, my favorite, & really ONLY kind of binding I do, these days is to "Bind" my herbs, when preparing to dry them. I gatherthem in a bunch, noose them with twine, to preserve thier purpose. After drying, de-stemming, and the dry leaves are tightly stored, I burn the bunched stems in a small fire for the purpose I deem fit.

Here's a pic, if it will post. :biggrin:

[url=http://s264.photobuc...inding.jpg.html]HerbBinding.jpg[/URL

#58 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Thats better than my hook in the ceiling.

#59 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

Thats better than my hook in the ceiling.

ditto

#60 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

What about using binding as a sort of emotional control for extreme emotions?  Has anyone tried or done this?  For instance binding an irrational fear of something. This is something I am thinking about right now and have been advised by the spirits that there are unforeseen consequences using this method. It makes sense and I would imagine the emotion being bound would sink in to the subconscious and if not dealt with would eventually explode through its bounds at some later date. Though I wonder if its applicable for a temporary time period. Say, in the case of fear, when one is in that exact situation to face it.  For instance speaking in public. As long as one were to release the bounds right after, I would imagine there would be no harm done and the person could work to overcome their fear by systematic desensitization. Thoughts?