82 replies to this topic

#1 Wych Elm

Wych Elm

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

This is a basic question so I thought I'd post it here. Straight to the point. I don't understand the basics of binding spells, although I'm wondering now if I have actually done one and not realised it was a binding spell. From what I've managed to read it comes across that you bind somebody to yourself and then you have to deal with it at a later date. That's all I seem to be able to find out. If you've got someone who is causing you trouble why would you bind them to you. What is that something else you have to do later? Or have I just read rubbish stuff?
Dance me through to the stillness, to the point where the motion begins. Dance me through to the silence, to the edge where the world begins. - Kathryn Price NicDhana

#2 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

From my understanding there are two kinds of binding spells. The kind that binds someone to you and the kinds that restricts the person's actions. The one you are refering to is the first one where you would have to deal with it later if the binding is no longer desired because you have created a strong bond between you and the person that needs more effort to break. Its like tying a leash between you and the person. The second one is like tying rope around someone's arms and it restricts certain movements or actions. This kind is useful with angry spirits and negative people.

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

I would say not necessarily binding something to one's self even (although that could be done), but say you bind a negative spirit into something to keep it out of trouble. For me, I am then responsible for that thing because one (or me, lol) doesn't just trap something and walk away. I would do it for a period of time or possibly to transport it somewhere where it could be let go and not bother people. I think it would be cruel and (for me) irresponsible to bind something into something else then just walk away. Anything that I bind would have a time-limit of it. Also, now you've changed the pattern in the web, and you are responsible for that, and for whatever else becomes because of that. So it has to be managed. You have affected a thing, it has been seen by others on the other side. You are in a way now attached to what you have just done. And you have called up what you have done because you can't do a working without calling a thing up. So you have a responsibility in this and for this, and also to what you have imposed your will upon.

M

Edited by Michele, 21 December 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#4 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

The basic bind someone so they can do no harm is shown pretty well in the movie the Craft, if its got nothing else going for it, at least the movie's got that. Not telling you to run out and see it, but if you already have then you have a point of reference. Basically in the movie the witch toom a photo of the target and folded it on itself and wrapped it with colored string while chanting the desire for the target to be bound from harming anyone. Then one would keep it in a safe place and unbind it when the danger from the target had passed.

Binding two people together for love or such is like a handfasting where lovers bind to one another for a year and a day, or whatever length of time they determine. In a local native tradition, (Grand Cooley) they do a blanket ritual where they wrap the couple in a blanket to bind them together.

Thats the basics although there are many variations on the theme.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#5 Wych Elm

Wych Elm

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks, that makes more sense now. I like the term 'variation on a theme'.
Dance me through to the stillness, to the point where the motion begins. Dance me through to the silence, to the edge where the world begins. - Kathryn Price NicDhana

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

I would also add any kind of cord work or thread work or knit work or sew work.... 

M

Edited by Michele, 01 September 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#7 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

IMO there are better ways to restrict action than binding, and I agree w/ Witch Elm's point- one may run the risk of binding the miscreant to oneself.
I always "bind to" and "banish from".

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

IMO there are better ways to restrict action than binding, and I agree w/ Witch Elm's point- one may run the risk of binding the miscreant to oneself.
I always "bind to" and "banish from".

Yes, but I don't think that binding is always a negative thing. A marriage ceremony is also a binding. (Then again, depending on who one marries that could be viewed as negative, lol lol.)

M

#9 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

I wouldn't recommend binding someone to yourself. I guess a marriage is like a binding, but I think it is a little different than using magic to enslave someone. I'm not necessarily talking ethics, although I think they do matter, but eventually you may decide you don't want to be bound with that person anymore and then you have to deal with getting rid of them, which isn't always easy, especially if they want to be bound to you in the first place, like a leach sucking the life out of you.

I think an everyday use for binding would be halting gossip.

Edited by Phoenix, 21 November 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#10 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

I like to use plasticine for binding spells. I make pretty and colourful little figurines and physically tie the arms down with cord. I then place them in a secure box or bag as a further restriction. I like to place the bag inside a circle of salt so their intention is locked in and unable to pass beyond my barrier.

I actually think rather than binding them to me, I bind them to themselves, I bind and limit their influence to a smaller sphere where it can have less effect on others.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#11 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

This is a basic question so I thought I'd post it here. Straight to the point. I don't understand the basics of binding spells, although I'm wondering now if I have actually done one and not realised it was a binding spell. From what I've managed to read it comes across that you bind somebody to yourself and then you have to deal with it at a later date. That's all I seem to be able to find out. If you've got someone who is causing you trouble why would you bind them to you. What is that something else you have to do later? Or have I just read rubbish stuff?

Hello Wych Elm
The basics of binding is to bind or tie an individual depending on what you want to do. If its to stop the mouth then bind the mouth, if its to stop actions they are doing then bind them so they cant move.

If I were working in this way I certainly wouldnt bind the individual to myself, I would do the binding and thats it, forget it and let it be, Any other way would inhibit the self, Witch works, walks away and it never happened.

I think it may be useful to consider that binding someone is not the same as creating threads between yourself and another person, sometimes this is done deliberately to attain an advantage of both, perhaps for friendship or sharing, but to bind someone for a purppose of your own is usually one sided, with the one doing the binding acting without the other individuals knowledge.

One or two have mentioned binding in relation to love, in my opinion its impossible to bind people to love each other, you can bind to cause lust but love and lust are not the same. If you want to work to cause someone to be attracted to you then its relatively easy, the hard part is getting them to leave you alone when you have had your fun.

#12 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

I realize there are other threads on binding, but most of those are personal in nature (as in here is my scenario, should I use a binding spell), so I am going to bump this one for further Craft-related discussion. I have my own personal definition of "binding" and when it is and is not a prudent course of action, as I imagine others do.

My question, which I honestly do not recall being addressed elsewhere on the forum, is . . . Have you performed a binding spell on a child? Was it your own child or someone else's child? If you are comfortable sharing the circumstances that is great. If not, that is fine, too.

I realize this question might open some responses up to criticism, as people get pretty defensive when talking about children, whether their own or someone else's, but I think it is worth stretching the limits of our ethical understanding.

#13 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Yes, I have done a binding in relation to a child (who's now an adult, lol... does that still count??)

M

#14 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

nope, slapped a few tho.

#15 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

Extending on the thought: Under what circumstances would it be acceptable to bind a child, even if you have not necessarily done so in the past? Opinions?

#16 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

Yes....I have bound the actions of another child that was bullying my younger sister. I decided it was the correct course of action after all mundane solutions were exhausted....up to and including law enforcement.

Edited by Whiterose, 04 March 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

I just performed the wedding ceremony for my child, and I did a binding in the ceremony of specific things to their relationship (and each of them took turns tying the knots for the spell and it was done at their request). I found that a perfectly acceptable (and enjoyable) binding :-)

M

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

I just performed the wedding ceremony for my child,. . .
M

Ok, little miss smarty pants . . . actual children, as in not adults. I agree that a wedding is generally a very acceptable and enjoyable type of binding, just not one that I would perform for or on children. ;)

#19 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

lol!

M

#20 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

I haven't but I think there are situations where doing so would be perfectly acceptable. For instance, to prevent a child or teen from getting involved in drugs heavily, messing up their mental development, and getting involved with the legal system, etc. One of my aunts adopted daughter's son(age 14) got involved with all that bath salt shit, and now he's in juvie for doing all sorts of bad stuff. If I had known about this while it was going on, and had thought of this method, I most certainly would have used it!
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy