The Mill Wife

White Bear

Do any of you know where I could learn more about the Mill Wife? Peter Paddon mentioned her briefly in his A Grimoire for Modern Cunningfolk, but no more information was given. I have a feeling that she is connected to my path, and I'd like to learn more.

Thanks!

Do any of you know where I could learn more about the Mill Wife? Peter Paddon mentioned her briefly in his A Grimoire for Modern Cunningfolk, but no more information was given. I have a feeling that she is connected to my path, and I'd like to learn more.

Thanks!

Hi White Bear,

I don't know if this will help your quest or not, but I've been looking in the link section of the Forum and searching in the Pantheon link for

" The Mill Wife ". Everything I've found has something to do with Mermaids, or women of the Water. Maybe Mr. Paddon used this verbage as a metaphor for something else, I'm not sure though. Good Luck !

http://www.pantheon.org/

Regards,

Gypsy

I am not particularly familiar with it; however, perhaps if you look at the Miller himself it may give you a clue as to the meaning of his wife. In Paddon's book (which you seem to have already, lol) he refers to her briefly in a section on the dark goddess/es and sugests the dark goddess "...is embodied by such as Cerridwen or the Mill Wife..." As such look into the archetype of Cerridwen, a goddess of the cauldron and transformation which in itself is tied to the underworld. If the Miller is representative of he who grinds the grain, and the grain is seen as man or the labours of man (or even as the sheath of wheat - the sacrificial god), then this would make a lot of sense that the Mill Wife would be an/the goddess of the underworld. I do not know who the sacred king is to Mr. Paddon, but it used to be the King was not just the ruler of the people in a governmental aspect but he was also responsible for their spiritual well-being and ruled for (if I am remembering this correctly) 7 years, which is a number with much lore attached to it in terms of service.

M

I am not particularly familiar with it; however, perhaps if you look at the Miller himself it may give you a clue as to the meaning of his wife. In Paddon's book (which you seem to have already, lol) he refers to her briefly in a section on the dark goddess/es and sugests the dark goddess "...is embodied by such as Cerridwen or the Mill Wife..." As such look into the archetype of Cerridwen, a goddess of the cauldron and transformation which in itself is tied to the underworld. If the Miller is representative of he who grinds the grain, and the grain is seen as man or the labours of man (or even as the sheath of wheat - the sacrificial god), then this would make a lot of sense that the Mill Wife would be an/the goddess of the underworld. I do not know who the sacred king is to Mr. Paddon, but it used to be the King was not just the ruler of the people in a governmental aspect but he was also responsible for their spiritual well-being and ruled for (if I am remembering this correctly) 7 years, which is a number with much lore attached to it in terms of service.

M

I've captured Michele's response White Bear, as I too am not familiar with the Mill Wife. I've not read this book, or any of Mr. Paddons work. Yet Michele offers a great response regarding the Dark Goddess. Maybe if you peal back some of the layers of these Pantheon Gods and Goddesses, you will get some illumination or validation to your connection with them. Research can be a journey in and of itself, imho.

Please let us know what you find, I would find that so interesting ! Thank you, you have furthered my curiousity. lol !

Regards,

Gypsy