That Witch who says she isn't a Witch in Pillars of the Earth

Sylvan

For those of you who have read Ken Follett's book or watched the TV mini-series (which I think is on Netflix and really really good), what do you think of the witch character who keeps saying she isn't a witch? (I forget her name, sorry.)

I like her character. She delivers one heck of a curse and makes a staggering prophesy, both which prove integral to the plot; she also lives in a cave with a bunch of herbs. I love how she never gives into the church's definition of marriage.

Anyhow, why do you think she doesn't call herself a witch though? Or maybe the author didn't want the readers/viewers to make stereotypical assumptions about her if she were labelled as such? Hmm.

Guest Rev. Gregori

when an author creates a character that denies what they are it's either for one of two reasons.

1. character has an internal struggle dealing with their own past/nature.

2. audience presumption of character which limits what the character can do in future stories.

• 1 month later...

I read lots, so I really liked these books I really take a period view that she denies she's a witch because other wise she will be killed. She almost is at one point so I guess I'm just literal about it. It's been awhile since I read pullers of the earth so I can't remember her name and I think I've only seen half the mini series. I read almost everything unless it really really irritates me like L.A Banks books do hip hop gangster style angels what ? I will never understand those books. Anyway I find Follett to do a really good job of representing the time period. I also thought that the witch when she does that curse was great so much symbolism. In the book she also does some healing so there's no doubt that she is a witch just that she can't admit it.

• 2 months later...

Came in here looking to see if anyone had made a thread about this.

I really, really liked the way she was portrayed in the series. I'm no historian but it seemed to accurately reflect the way things were between witches and the Church at that time.

Everything else has already been said above!

Edited by Brian