Sign in to follow this  
Sylvan

What is your New Age tolerance?

I did have a really annoying run in with a New Age guy who went on about magic being based only on belief, then tried to tell me I knew nothing about magic. He was going on about how if I decided I wouldn't burn in the sun, then I wouldn't. To be honest, he was overusing acid (though not on it at the time) and the whole conversation was really annoying, no depth or proper thought. He was clearly very self-centred and his world view did not seem to quite make the connection of everything being linked together. That whole group of him and his friends were screwy though, the moment I saw one of them I knew exactly what would happen to her and though my friends continued to associate with them, I never saw them again. They were very new age, more crystals and burning sage for everything while calling it smudging (without knowing anything about sage or smudging) than any real ideas about anything. As I say though, drugs were involved and they were not the kind of people able to handle them. Obviously intent/belief/willpower comes into magic, but there are a variety of other elements woven in there too. Anyone, be they Christian, Wiccan, New Age, Satanic, whatever, annoys me when there is a lack of actual depth and no attempt to gain knowledge around what they are babbling on about. I think I get less accepting as I go on.

There are some aspects of new age thought I do give some value. Such as the idea of living at a “higher vibratory rate”, even though many new agers take that to mean being a love and light person on steroids.

Having a higher frequency in physics simply means there is more light/energy. Therefor you’re living in a state of increased energy which implies you’re healthy and strong/powerful. There are many ways to be healthy and strong, one size doesn’t fit all.

It very well might help me live in “higher vibration” to Hex someone, if they are capable of harming me in some way. I can’t see why being “high vibe” is only applicable to cute little bunnies and not the vipers. My tolerance for new age ends at the notion that all humans are made to thrive in the same way. New age can stumble onto some good ideas but they get muddied up by the fluffy mentality.

Yes, quite. I've had interesting discussions around vibrations and energy with many 'New Agers', but that is a good way to describe the problem - the belief all are supposed to thrive in the same way. I also think some people begin on the path to the Craft as 'love and light' teenagers (not all at all) and it's a word for a group of individuals who are all different, so have different thoughts despite following a similar overall view. One point I forgot to mention is I've met more who begin to practice types of Witchcraft and damage the environment with non-thought through spells (plastic bottles put in the sea) and so on, than those who are into the New Age movement. Now, that's probably less applicable here, as a good number work with Nature Spirits, and may be down to the type of New Agers I've met, but it's worth mentioning I think.

Considered whether to post this or not, I'm not sure I've explained it very well, but links to what Tricycle said about a New Age type posting on social media about not 'surrounding yourself with negative people'. I've found lots of overlapping ideas between certain types of Witchcraft and New Age thoughts, like the divine self and the responsibility to develop it alongside your mind and emotions. However, unlike many New Agers, I do not believe it is a purely personal job to do this. Many of them I've spoken to have a thought process running alongside this around staying away from those who are in difficult places emotionally are struggling to get out of it, believing that person has to somehow come across an awakening of sorts that helps them to get in touch with this divine part and work through things themselves. I don't believe it's the job of everyone to 'help others' at all, but I do see humans as social animals. We learn from others, experience awakenings through others (both purely spirit and physical humans or animals), so my view is that those in very difficult situations are often likely to need help to get out of it. I had a run in with someone who holds this type of thought not long ago and have had a few before. She believed that if she was to associate with anyone who couldn't pull themselves out of trauma, it would negatively affect her own energy and soul. She would 'hold space' in her words, for those already awakened, but not for those who needed guidance to reach this 'higher awakened state', in fact anyone who wasn't in the 'higher state' she didn't really want near her at all. In my opinion (and this is only my opinion), I'd be a pretty poor witch if I couldn't spend some time talking to someone who's struggling for fear of forever damaging my own energy and soul. Obviously, both the situation and individuals involved relate to this and there are times everyone needs to step back, break contact or when the person themselves needs to take absolute responsibility. However, though some manage to recover from difficult situations with little input, often someone else is needed to give insight and help open that person to new understandings and healing. That was a main point that we differed on. 

Edited by BlackbirdSong
  • Upvote 1

When it comes to interacting with my environment (including people) to promote a “high vibe” lifestyle. I see everything as a transactional relationship. Everything around you either helps you in the long run, or harms you in the long run, or has a neutral/negligible affect. Even helping those in weakened states can be profitable by giving you that pleasant warm feeling that you just helped someone. Her feeling like her energetic health is lowered by helping the less fortunate tells me she doesn’t value that spiritual sustenance from helping others. Or worse, that those who are living in misfortune have “spiritual Ebola” and will infect you with it if you try to help those dirty poor people that you’re too good for.

I’m not saying I don’t pick and choose who I help though as I can be somewhat picky. I don’t find it rewarding to help weak people who have no intention of becoming stronger and bettering themselves. It’s mostly up to you to determine which interactions with your environment are profitable in the long run for you.

Yes, she was more the second I'm afraid. Overall, it's one of my bigger differences compared to many I've encountered with a New Age philosophy, which is why I thought it was worth mentioning. However, I should have explained more clearly initially (sorry) that my biggest problem with her, as an individual with these thoughts, was that she presented herself as a kind of New Age spiritual leader. She led groups/sessions/ceremonies and so on, many of them open to anyone. It was also partly born of her picking and choosing ideas to suit what she herself believed and 'preached' as such. I felt she had failed completely to recognise that many people need huge amounts of time and guidance to begin to help themselves, so they may seem 'weak' at first, but many can begin to become much stronger given that time (and often it's a blooming long time). If she'd been an individual going about their own business, I would have just said 'Ok, we disagree', but the fact she was self-putting into a position of authority and leading groups/sessions with these ideas frustrated me because it wasn't based in the complex reality of trauma. She was preaching about something she had neither experienced herself nor properly understood.

Obviously, that's only a specific area of an individual's New Age belief, but I've encountered it a number of times and it really irks me. Of course, I don't think it is right for everyone to give a large amount of time and energy into every traumatised person they meet - not at all. And often, people do need to draw back or cut contact with certain individuals for their own wellbeing, which is both understandable and necessary, but to stand in a leader role and preach on trauma and divine self, fate and retribution from past lives with no real idea of it, pulling bits of Buddhist, Native American among other ideologies out of the air and mashing them together with New Age and Neo-pagan babble just sat wrongly with me. She'd decided what she believed and was going to back it up with whatever worked. She was messing with deep emotions and psychology that she didn't fully understand, with no properly defined spiritual understanding behind it. 

I, personally, don't mind the New Age stuff so much, in that it has made certain shops, items, and ideas very accessible... I definitely have a hard time with all of the focus on "light," and I do have concerns that all of the "think only positive thoughts" type of advice for building a supposed great life leads to a lot of victim-blaming... but to be fair, with a lot of New Age stuff being perceived as acceptable, it has helped me, with my own style, to stand out a lot less (not sure if that's actually a good thing or a bad thing, but it is what it is).

Great question!

Not sure if I responded to this already. Well, who cares?

The New Age thing is very broad. Defining it is tricky. I don't feel as though I have a problem with "new age" in general. Actually, there are a lot of "new age specific" teachings that I really resonate with, and find truth in, or at least possibility of truth. Star system channeling and such. I believe it. Why not? But, there is a lot of misguidance out there. I had a conversation with a local woman a few days ago about the new Kava bar in town, and, I told her, my first thought was that it was a bad thing, because Kava is a very powerful drug that affects the liver. I didn't even get into the misappropriation stuff, but did mention that it's a ceremonial medicine. I freaked her out as it is and have been really making an effort to be less immediately critical and condemning. After all, I am guilty of making many mistakes. But, yeah, when anything becomes popularized, there can be problems. I'm not too concerned about it. Things are shifting so fast in the world that I feel as though criticizing with broad brushstrokes is even more detrimental than it was before. I take people, ideas, and issues on a case by case basis. New Age is a mixed bag. There is always more to learn.

I will comment more explicitly though on Teal Swan, who in this thread has received some negative commentary. I have been following her work for years and it has helped me immensely. Like, a really big whole lot. I have looked into her critics, to get a more wide view, and have found most of them a bit ridiculous, and missing the point. My gut, heart, mind, and spirit tells me to keep listening to her. Certainly hardly anyone on this planet is flawless and infalliable, if anyone at all. I discern based on my intuition and the benefit of the activity/process, and have found myself always uplifted and aided by Teal Swan's material. The one video criticized in an earlier post ("if you want to be alone you're not being authentic") is the one out of her whole lot that didn't really resonate. I can see a good point in it, to a point, but, yeah, not really a big hit, there. Her frequency paintings affect me in a pretty big way, and I have those cards, and other product with the designs, too. They really help me and have great power in themselves. I just started reading her books this week, too, and am finding that the work and personal stories therein feel differently from the videos. Of course, text and performance are two totally different modalities.

I resonate with her work not only because it is so filled with really astute observations and points about psychology, spirituality, society, and self-work, but also because where she is coming from is extreme and over the top, which is something that I struggle with, too. Some of my teachers have told me that my story is so "over the top" (verbatim) that they can't even begin to help. I've been cut off of at least one lineage, and denied access to others, because my deep trauma is so intense. Everyone has struggle in life, that is certain, but there are some of us that go through stuff that is really out of bounds, is so off the charts that it can't be categorized or handled or even remotely understood by the huge vast majority of people. Highly likely that many on this board have had "markedly extreme" experiences that can't be communicated without shocking others. Witchcraft tends to attract people who for whom other methods and practices just haven't cut the cake. Honestly, when you get to these levels of trauma, people who have experienced shit just as extreme and have legitimately made it through to the other side are like beacons of light, and I respect and am very grateful for them.  The content of the experiences may be totally different in theme, but, the extreme nature is what remains. I really admire her success, and watching her thrive, and learning lessons from her, lets me know that I can do it, too, in my own way. She really is blazing a huge trail for countless people who are in severe pain, or at least, feel lost in the bullshit we are spoon-fed. I sometimes scan the comments on her videos and am continually reminded that her putting herself out there in a totally unprecedented way is helping so many others, too. Huge strength in that woman. She's lighting many fires inside people who are hurting and need a pathway. I believe her, because I believe the effect her work has been having on me, and because I know some of how horribly difficult it is to carry such an extreme story: many people recoil and deny my very existence sometimes because of my energy signature. I have experienced first-hand the outer resistance from being someone who has lived through extreme shit as well. From my position, she's someone to look up to. I don't "follow" very many people with the regularity that I follow her. She's good. I trust her.

If others disagree, well, that's all fine: I'm not interested in arguing with anyone about her, for multiple reasons. I'm just putting this out there to establish that not everyone here finds her scary, or problematic, and to let anyone reading know that just because a bunch of people in the same arena feel the same way about someone, doesn't mean that they are "right." She helps many, many people, myself included, and if anyone is called to her work (or anyone else's work) they should gauge the value of that work by how they feel, and the results they get, as long as there isn't anything "seriously unkosher" happening. That's my little piece :)

Edited by phantasmagoria
  • Upvote 1

My tolerance is very high for anything that's of potential use: light, dark, love, hate, rainbow sparkles or blood, whatever.

With right alignment to divine will, every life experience, mental state, spiritual philosophy, worldly material, etc. represents a possible tool to do transformative work with. Both inner and outer.

I no longer harbour judgemental opinions on what tools or approaches others make use of. If it works, all power to them. What do I care? It's none of my concern.

Edited by WitchVillage
  • Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this