Sign in to follow this  
Sylvan

What is your New Age tolerance?

I have been quite tolerant lately, although maybe thats because I don't go looking for them. Unfortunately at the moment I have a very low tolerance for Christians cause they are everywhere, all the time, I can't escape! lol

I have been quite tolerant lately, although maybe thats because I don't go looking for them. Unfortunately at the moment I have a very low tolerance for Christians cause they are everywhere, all the time, I can't escape! lol

I know what you mean Brambles, as I also feel that I can't escape these days, not IRL and sometimes not online, either. Hiding away all the time gets a little bit boring, so I have to venture into the big, bad world once in awhile.

Suprisingly, the people that annoy me the most are the "nice ones", the ones that mean well, but have no fucking clue. I mean if someone is an outright pain in the ass, you can blast them and be about your business. But, than someone who is generally nice comes along, so you tolerate them, at least for a time, but than gradually they start to wear away at your patience. Soon, they think you are smiling and nodding, but you are really gritting your teeth and twitching, wishing that they would either 1) say something stupid or offensive, so you won't feel guilty about ripping their throat out, or 2) shut the fuck up.

Jevne

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a good bit of sport,unfortunately nobody ever walks this way.ohh what a shame,i do tend to get bored at times.A vigil out side my home!, me thinks I could sooo have fun.

Sounds like a good bit of sport,unfortunately nobody ever walks this way.ohh what a shame,i do tend to get bored at times.A vigil out side my home!, me thinks I could sooo have fun.

Imagining throwing a large sachet of saltpeter on their fire and watching them all shit their pants, roflmao! :cauldron:

I know what you mean Brambles, as I also feel that I can't escape these days, not IRL and sometimes not online, either. Hiding away all the time gets a little bit boring, so I have to venture into the big, bad world once in awhile.

Suprisingly, the people that annoy me the most are the "nice ones", the ones that mean well, but have no fucking clue. I mean if someone is an outright pain in the ass, you can blast them and be about your business. But, than someone who is generally nice comes along, so you tolerate them, at least for a time, but than gradually they start to wear away at your patience. Soon, they think you are smiling and nodding, but you are really gritting your teeth and twitching, wishing that they would either 1) say something stupid or offensive, so you won't feel guilty about ripping their throat out, or 2) shut the fuck up.

Jevne

Oh I know!! Especially the ones who act like saints but are up to all kinds of stupidity and then tell folk like us we are doomed for hell. I generally have low tolerance for stupidity but unfortunately it happens all the time. Weird thing is, I do more "good deeds" then most Christians I know. Maybe it's cause I don't deprive myself of so called "sins". lol You always want what you can't have...:rolleyes_witch:

Yes! I really don't trust anyone. One blab where I live (and seems true for many here) and I can see the villagers at the door, pitchforks, torches, bibles and crucifixes in hand! Obviously I have certain protections but why take unnecessary chances? Other than outing me, the possible ramifications job-wise for my husband and sons can be devastating in our local economy and I've already spoken about the schools on another thread. I keep to myself what is necessary and what I share is very selective and seriously diluted, if I don't balk completely. Fuck em! It's none of their business! It's not like I ask them to tell me about their faith!

P.S. I found that the easiest way to keep Mormon', Born Again and Jehovah's Witnesses from coming back repeatedly, trying to constantly "save" me, is to tell them I'm Jewish. Lol It works. Slamming the door seems to bring more literature and more the next time! Honesty, black candles and pentagrams only seem to make them try harder or want to exorcise me! :rolleyes:

'Be Demonized' that's hysterical! :lolol: oooh, I love it!

Yes! I can relate too! First off I so agree with the "it's no ones business" thought and secondly, I have my husband and *especially* my children to consider and protect! I fortunately live in an area that is more open minded and tolerant than a lot of places (south central WI Heck even the Dali Lama likes it here!), but still! Wariness is best. I do the old hide in plain sight. And i get aggravated with those who out themselves and think everyone should do so, so that "people understand that witches are people too, and not to be afraid of us, and promote understanding, etc etc, and what are YOU teaching your kids if you *hide*! Yeah whatever. You want to paint a target on your kids, that's your business.

My new age tolerance rises and falls--the thing that still makes me roll my eyes and I know its petty and superficial, but it's those NAMES. The latest one? Lady FairyMoon. I mean how on earth can you take someone seriously with a name like that! Of course she hangs out with someone who thinks its "ok" to teach newbies that demons "are our friends and here to help us" And to do the Ouija board with the flimsiest of protections . . .okay, sorry ranting abit, Stopping now!

Imagining throwing a large sachet of saltpeter on their fire and watching them all shit their pants, roflmao! :cauldron:

I would pay good money to see that!! LoL

My tolerance for the New Age people is a lot higher than it is for bible-thumping Christians, Jehovah's witnesses, and at this point in time, pollsters and other political solicitors! GRR! biting.gif

• Upvote 1

I'm not to bothered by them because I just see them passing on the street or serving in New Age shops. They have never tried to pull me in to their world, they are just polite and friendly. I can see how their "Harm none" and worldly love approach can seem a bit Disney to some people but there are enough nasty sick people (of no particular religion) in the world, that a few folks acting in a kind gentle matter and babbling away don't bother me - as long as they don't try to push their beliefs in my face that is!

One thing I do find sad/depressing about some New Age lifestyle seekers is that they cannot function without being told what they should be doing. They devour books, websites, look for mentors trying to find a way to connect with nature and spirits instead of just getting out there and connecting with the world. Sure you should check up on any herbs you will be using on or in your body in case they are poisonious, but so much is to be discovered by exploring on your own. I spend a lot of time outside watching and listening to the trees, animals, birds, wind etc. I like to get hands on and feel the earths vibrations, not just think "Oh I need to do A, B, C, because so-and-so said it in the book they wrote"

One thing I do find sad/depressing about some New Age lifestyle seekers is that they cannot function without being told what they should be doing. They devour books, websites, look for mentors trying to find a way to connect with nature and spirits instead of just getting out there and connecting with the world. Sure you should check up on any herbs you will be using on or in your body in case they are poisonious, but so much is to be discovered by exploring on your own. I spend a lot of time outside watching and listening to the trees, animals, birds, wind etc. I like to get hands on and feel the earths vibrations, not just think "Oh I need to do A, B, C, because so-and-so said it in the book they wrote"

Unfortunately, new age seekers are not the only ones afflicted by this. I know some self-proclaimed Trads, who have read every book related to witchcraft, but have never actually practiced the CRAFT.

J

Unfortunately, new age seekers are not the only ones afflicted by this. I know some self-proclaimed Trads, who have read every book related to witchcraft, but have never actually practiced the CRAFT.

J

I've often thought that as a society, in the US, UK and other European countries, since the 70s thereabouts, there has been such an influx of self-help books that tell you how to do it their way. even though it's "self" help. I've also noticed in magazines on everything from home decorating to health, there are tons of articles telling you "exactly" how to do something, no matter how trivial a thing it is. For instance awhile back i was at a "Candlelite" party--think tupperware but with candles and holders. The hostess was explaining how to burn a candle the right way and one of the woman showed her one of her own candles she had brought, asking "Am I burning my candle the right way? I don't think I am. Can I fix it?"

:wacko:

So this doesn't surprise me. A lot of folks seem to be afraid of taking a step on their own.

For instance awhile back i was at a "Candlelite" party--think tupperware but with candles and holders. The hostess was explaining how to burn a candle the right way and one of the woman showed her one of her own candles she had brought, asking "Am I burning my candle the right way? I don't think I am. Can I fix it?"

Oh for pitys sake! Lol

You know that is so true about the explosion of self help books form the 70's onwards. I wonder what happened to that generation that made them devour books for advice on all matters? They would have been born just after WW2 - maybe that had something to do with it - absent or emotionally damaged parents maybe?

Or perhaps lack of pull-your-socks-up, access a little common sense, stop whining, get-over-it, and get on with your life. We seem to have recently bred a society that feels the need to be rescued - whether by themselves or by others. My pet peeve of the generation of everyone-owes-me-a-favor, lol. I hate soppy self-help books; I find they generally encourage one to feel sorry for one's self. The only one I think they really help is the author's pocket. And they're not restricted to New Age - it seems to be the going trend in all things. "Feel your pain, love yourself... you deserve it, you are a wounded flower waiting to bloom..." oh hand me the barf bag, please. You've got 3 days to feel sorry for yourself and wallow in your misery. Then get yourself up and start fixing things or I'll slap the shit out of you. (I'm not the one to go to for advice and a shoulder to cry on, lol.)

I'm going to a pagan event with my group and they'd asked me to make some bottles, so I made one to be used for "gaining a little backbone", lol... we'll see how many people that concept is wasted on. (Jeeze, aren't I just lovely little Miss. Sunshine this morning???)

M

• Upvote 3

Or perhaps lack of pull-your-socks-up, access a little common sense, stop whining, get-over-it, and get on with your life. We seem to have recently bred a society that feels the need to be rescued - whether by themselves or by others. My pet peeve of the generation of everyone-owes-me-a-favor, lol. I hate soppy self-help books; I find they generally encourage one to feel sorry for one's self. The only one I think they really help is the author's pocket. And they're not restricted to New Age - it seems to be the going trend in all things. "Feel your pain, love yourself... you deserve it, you are a wounded flower waiting to bloom..." oh hand me the barf bag, please. You've got 3 days to feel sorry for yourself and wallow in your misery. Then get yourself up and start fixing things or I'll slap the shit out of you. (I'm not the one to go to for advice and a shoulder to cry on, lol.)

I'm going to a pagan event with my group and they'd asked me to make some bottles, so I made one to be used for "gaining a little backbone", lol... we'll see how many people that concept is wasted on. (Jeeze, aren't I just lovely little Miss. Sunshine this morning???)

M

Absolutely love this . . . and you, Miss Sunshine :sunny: . Voted it up.

J

I have a high tolerance for new age. My parents are nominally new age. And I am more willing to be a friend with someone I can leak a little bit of my practices to than none! I am back in the dating game, and I feel more like I can connect with someone who knows of otherworlds and spirits than one who doesn't at all or thinks I am bonkers. Yeah they can be a bit love and light, but its easiier to just not share parts of what I do than hide altogether. Its different of course for everyone, thats just my tolerance level.

• Upvote 1

My tolerance at the moment is pretty low. I get really frustrated with their automatic assumption that we're all love, light & blessed be.

My biggest issue is, what I see as, a disrespect of cultures. I lost it on youtube with someone over a video by a black American on hoodoo & Voodoo. A wiccan had started the usual 'witches don't hurt anyone, this isn't real witchcraft' crap blah blah, apparently witchcraft is only European. American hoodoo & Voodoo has slavery in it's history. There's suffering & persecution in it's history and the same with Native American. These cultures & trads don't need these idiots preaching about what they can & cannot do and I know they get peeved with it. New Agers seem to hijack everything with no respect for the history and deeper culture. I told this person they were disrespecting black culture by their ignorance. I read a piece online by someone having a rant about all this working with angels. Find your angel for love & light & it will work with you. This person pointed out that in Judeo-Christian stories, the appearance of an angel was always a frightening and overwhelming event. Which it was! So what on earth are they really working with? 'Oooh Archangel such-n-such came into my bedroom last night, it was lovely'. Oh right, every other time Archangel such-n-such has appeared the person has been temporarily blinded & wet their pants in blind fear, but no, you had tea & scones with them (ok, slight exaggeration...). Plus they're 'working' with Christian angels & slagging Christianity at the same time. :twisted_witch:

I know I've made some sweeping statements & exaggerations but my goat has been got.

Blessed be, everyone. :sickwitch:

Couldn't have put it better myself. That stuff drives me crazy, and I will call it out when I see it. Other than that, I can't really think of any problems that I've had with neo-pagan new agers; albeit a select few that like to try to cram their views down other people's throats.

I have agreed, as I have said to some, to attend a small gathering of people, who practice the little "w". One of the members is someone I work "near" and do like, so obviously I can tolerate "some" new age types. That being said, I chose to clarify what I would and would not be comfortable participating in, prior to the event, so that his friends do not misunderstand my actions. I know that others might and possibly have elected to just play along quietly, but I personally feel it is a mistake to give the impression that Trad Witches all think the same as new age-related traditions do. I will be nice. (Don't laugh - I will.) I am not going to reveal any specifics, of course, but if they ask a general question, especially as related to differences, I will answer in accordance with my overall experience and/or what I have heard from other Trads. If, however, they start "blessed be"-ing the hell out of me, I cannot be held responsible for my actions. :)

I am afraid to ask how you burn a candle the wrong way, IMO that's beyond scary because if she can't figure out how to burn a candle heaven help us if she try's driving. I don't mind the new agers usually that are an interesting diversion,I do find the ones who think all native Americans are holy shaman types I little annoying though. It's really sad that some people think they are being nice when really they are being racist I know plenty of mean Indians who could give a crap about anything because hello they re human and golly gee just because they are Native American doesn't mean they are all like the old guy in every movie. Ok sorry I guess they bug me more than I thought lol

• Upvote 1

I have no problem with anyone's beliefs, how can I if I expect tolerance from them. My line is with actions, if someone is trying to push their beliefs on me I stop the conversation as politely as possible and say I have my own path that fulfills my needs and that I am not going to change. If they insist on continuing the "gloves come off" and they quickly get the direct message. New age types have the same mix of good and bad as any group, including us. The minute we start labeling and defining individuals as "groups" we deserve the same and the limited amount of tolerance we have gained is in danger.

• Upvote 3

I have no problem with anyone's beliefs, how can I if I expect tolerance from them. My line is with actions, if someone is trying to push their beliefs on me I stop the conversation as politely as possible and say I have my own path that fulfills my needs and that I am not going to change. If they insist on continuing the "gloves come off" and they quickly get the direct message. New age types have the same mix of good and bad as any group, including us. The minute we start labeling and defining individuals as "groups" we deserve the same and the limited amount of tolerance we have gained is in danger.

I agree with this completely. There is a mix of valuable and slightly irritating people in any categorisation. I dare say there are even a few Trad witches out there that we wouldn't want to spend a Friday night at the pub with. Tolerance breeds tolerance and I echo the sentiment completely that if we want respect for who we are and what we do then we need to give out the same to others.

I'm voting this up. x

On a serious note, i have a real problem with the often unthinking or not give a damn attitude with regard to the cultural appropriation of the scene. Personally, i also dont hold to the notion of being tolerant of other beliefs because most of the beliefs are/would be certainly intolerant towards mine and i dont see them changing their view just because i outwardly accept theirs. History, i think bears this out.

I think this is an interesting perspective, Fox. When I am interacting with a specific someone or someones, I try to acknowledge and respect our differences, especially if the others do the same in return. In other words, I tolerate them. Respect is a two way street, however, and I only give respect when it is earned. If you are cool with me, I'll give the same courtesy. Frankly, I feel that way about a few people on the Forum. I may not personally resonated with their comments. I may even think that they are occasionally idiots, and they likely think the same of me, but we still respect each other on some level.

That is what it amounts to for me, if I don't respect someone, I cannot tolerate them. It really does not matter if our perspectives differ.

They dont bother me cos i dont have to mix with them, or anyone else,if i did ! id tell them to get them to fuckoff.Just me.

I agree, respect has to be earned. The unfortunate situation is that, as already stated, our culture and our educational system fosters a belief that no matter what we should be respectful and that the bad actions of an individual are a result of outside factors beyond their control and its not their fault. Bullshit, people have to recognize responsibility for their own actions and take responsibility rather than trying to make excuses. This applies to everyone regardless of "group".

I find that for the most part of humanity ,there are a Lot of bullshiters about and that pomp and self gratifacation are what they think make the world go around,as i have said before, if you want my respect less is more . If im interested ,then ill make the decision to get to know a person. Dimwit or scholar.

• Upvote 2

I find that for the most part of humanity ,there are a Lot of bullshiters about and that pomp and self gratifacation are what they think make the world go around,as i have said before, if you want my respect less is more . If im interested ,then ill make the decision to get to know a person. Dimwit or scholar.

I share this preference for genuine, thoughtful people, who do not need to pontificate for the joy of hearing their own voice. Goodness knows, we have enough boring know-it-alls in the world, and the new age world has its fair share. The ability to quote from books does not win many folks over and neither does treating people like they are your underling. I do not have much tolerance for people who think it is their job to school everyone. Give me a good natured, lovable dimwit any day.

If you are nice to me, I'll be nice to you. That about covers it for me personally, I think. I'm sure there are exceptions to that here and there, but none that come to mind at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this