Sign in to follow this  
Sylvan

What is your New Age tolerance?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I’ve really enjoyed reading the variety of responses.

Real quick, I want to share what prompted this thread and offer some closing thoughts.

For the last couple of years I have been going through a sort of life reboot, holing up (yes, you can hide in a hole! ;))--though it’s time for me to come out.

I have a couple of close friends and all, but these past few years have been a time of serious pruning while I focus on myself and the home front (becoming a mother, for one).

Anyhow, now I’m itching to start rebuilding my outer life and particularly, my social circle. I want more friends, more connection out in the community. But also I am different than before. My identity and practice as a witch has really taken root. While I was always doing “stuff” before, it has been during this past two years in my “hole” that I have really made great strides in my witchcraft.

I used to traverse some new age circles before and like I said, in the area that I live, this is the closet I will come to like-minded. It’s interesting to me too, btw, that different camps of new age seems to occupy different geographic areas (not unlike mainstream religious denominations). There aren’t many alien-ers or even wiccans in these parts, it’s more the generic mainstream, cult-of-Oprah type. A good bit of Eastern influence with a smattering of astrology, self-help affirmations, etc.

A side story: I previously had a really good friend who was an energy healer. We really clicked on a deep level. But she was so committed to her super duper highest good self-care that I didn’t feel safe to have a dark side around her. We had a mutual friend that she kicked out of her life for having a pain pill addiction. I stuck by the mutual friend—yes, she was hooked on painkillers, but she also had had hip surgery and well, it was a tricky issue because legitimate pain was involved. But hell, even if she had been straight up messed up for no good reason I would have stuck by her. During that episode I understood that the only-good-vibes-at-all-costs orientation could come at a cruel price and had its own shadow (that they would likely deny). I also understood one key difference between the motivations of these people and myself—they are trying to have a happy life but I am trying to have a meaningful one. The two are not always the same thing.

Now that my “dark side” is even more integrated, I want to avoid a repeat of that scenario. I want to be careful to protect my witchy self but also not so careful that I fail to connect with people.

This is tricky with the new age types because some topics overlap. I work with guides, for instance, but I don’t send them to find me a flipping parking space like I read in one book. We might use some of the same “stuff” but for different reasons and in much different ways. I hope I know when to bite my tongue and when to let it wag.

This is something of a new balancing act so I was curious to see how other witches have navigated this terrain.

I like what sarasuperid said about hanging around them and maybe eventually being led to some more traditional types. I like hearing that that worked for her, even if it took awhile.

On the other hand, the idea of Jevne circling around doing “stuff” to them gave me a good cackle.

Yeah, this thread really isn’t so much about actually practicing witchcraft as how to be one in the world-at-large. Maybe it would better belong in the Starting a Traditional Path area?

And Jevne! I totally invite you to practice non-loving intolerance any time you like! Haha. After all, I was promised “hot banter” when I signed up for this site. :P_witch:

• Upvote 2

Guest LadyofTheRavens

Good topic! But maybe I feel that way because I am at that stage of extreme annoyance lol. I think many of us go through it, aimed at either certain people, groups or topics. I for one am tired of "call on the archangels" Love&Light, Brightest Blessings etc etc. Among other things. But then... I think... perhaps I am annoyed because that was ME not so very long ago!

Since retiring from Wicca, I haven't stayed in much contact with any new-agers. I know two women online (other than those here) that call themselves witches. One is a 'Pagan' witch, one is Wiccan, and we don't talk about our separate practices anymore since I've gone down this path. I think I avoid trying to find witches in this area because I already know that most are of the Wiccan faith and whenever I've tried to hint that that wasn't me they suddenly seem less interested in me. Whatever. I have been known to ask for 'other/strange' items in the shop I frequent but they just say we'll try to get that or smile and carry on. Once when I was in there I was reading a copy of The Witch's Book of the Dead and an older guy breezed by with, "Oh, that's a good one." so I was kinda like hmmm :). And the other day I asked one of the employees if they had any copies of Witchcraft Medicine and she looked it up and ordered it, saying it sounded like a book she'd be interested in. The shopkeeper knows an old friend of mine who was Wiccan but the shopkeeper actually gives off a ceremonial witch or magician vibe. I may be bold enough to just ask if they know any traditional practitioners but at the moment I'm not that overly-interested in meeting any. *shrug*

I think the only new-agers that would honestly think anything I do is strange/evil are the ones that don't know what the hell they're doing anyway with their form of craft, the ones who signed up just because everyone else was doing it, and don't actually desire a real connection. I don't get that vibe from all of them. Some seem to be deeper than that and would probably readily accept or at least understand that my way helps me to feel deeper and that's alright, not 'evil'.

• Upvote 2

A very nicely written honest observation Lillikate, on your evolving, separating from the other groups and going to the traditional witch path. I vote it up

A very nicely written honest observation Lillikate, on your evolving, separating from the other groups and going to the traditional witch path. I vote it up

Aww, thanks :D. My path has just become more personal and involved, and I don't really see the point in trying to talk to other people about it in detail like that, unless I know they'll get it even if they don't do it. I dunno. If someone's genuinely curious, I might speak about the things they could Google lol but anything deeper tends to be too personal anyway.

Guest Morgana Raven
1337449278[/url]' post='126222']

As long as they don't try and shove their peace and light crap down my throat-I could really care less about 'em. Live and let live.

Ditto!

i don't have a problem with people being themselves as long as it does no harm to me or mine. i don't really hang out with any new Agers,but i have looked into some new age stuff from time to time. i really find alot of other paths interesting...and sometimes just really woo woo...which is still kinda fascinating that people are just that out there..lol. to each its own...i like allowing others to be themselves...until it affects me negatively ...but so far so good...love and light oh yea!!! ;)

Apart from folk deliberately get me involved I guess I have a fairly high tolerance. The Mork and Mindy thing wouldn't faze me to much but then I am used to chaotes and their ideas so as long as I'm not involved I don't care. :)

As for dark sides and light sides, well both can be wrong in my eyes. I walk a balance, between good, evil, neutrality, dark, light and every other 'side'.

It is having that balance which makes traditional witchcraft different, we know there are other sides and we don't hide from them but use those sides.

Guest atropa

In my opininon new agers can be useful, the fact that they are what people think of as Witch can provide a cloak of illusion under which Witch does his or her work in the shadows.

It worth considering that new agers are mostly Witch who sleep or perhaps have begun to dream, where Witch inside is making itself known resulting in the need to beginning to search.

Those who are meant to find the way through illusion will find it, those who want to play at it and are content with illusion may well stop right there. Witch within will either give up and go back to sleep or jump up and down enough to make them look for another way.

In my experience, some people begin with the fluff, only to find it doesnt fulfil their awakening, its these I have concern and time for, those who are content to wallow in fluff are welcome to it, they will eventually fall back asleep, in which case they will do nothing except live life as the rest of humanity do.

I dont have limits unless I set them myself to do purpose; each contact I have with others is different according to thier actions and thoughts.

Edited by atropa
  • Upvote 1

They don't affect me. I'm not one to advertise myself and I don't looking into what others are doing either. That's not to say I'm antisocial, quite the contrary, but it's a shield I rarely bring down in social situations. On the odd occasion that I have gotten roped into any kind of religious discussion these days, I have generally declined to participate or simply walked away. :bolt: I used to revel in the shock value of messing with people. Oh the fun I had! But these days it just isn't worth it. Especially here. When I lived in a big city, there was a bigger cross section of diversity. Here, my children would have to bear the brunt of my actions. I just won't have the argument anymore and my life is just nunya (nunya damned business).

But to be honest, it's because I don't care enough about the people I'm talking with to share what is precious to me, and really, that's all it is. My path is my own and not suject to discussion with people I dont know (except here). So to answer the OP, my tolerance is just as it is with any other person. :lalala:

They don't affect me. I'm not one to advertise myself and I don't looking into what others are doing either. That's not to say I'm antisocial, quite the contrary, but it's a shield I rarely bring down in social situations. On the odd occasion that I have gotten roped into any kind of religious discussion these days, I have generally declined to participate or simply walked away. :bolt: I used to revel in the shock value of messing with people. Oh the fun I had! But these days it just isn't worth it. Especially here. When I lived in a big city, there was a bigger cross section of diversity. Here, my children would have to bear the brunt of my actions. I just won't have the argument anymore and my life is just nunya (nunya damned business).

But to be honest, it's because I don't care enough about the people I'm talking with to share what is precious to me, and really, that's all it is. My path is my own and not suject to discussion with people I dont know (except here). So to answer the OP, my tolerance is just as it is with any other person. :lalala:

This is basically how I feel about it. If the individual is meaningful to me, as in I like them or their presence has some purpose, I will tolerate them. Otherwise, they are inconsequential.

• Upvote 2

I'm a lot more tolerant than I used to be. I personally feel grateful of the sparkly, alluring pull of New Agery because without their morals and karma there would be a lot more sharks in the ocean. I have met some who, if they ditched their principles, would be bed wettingly effective at malice; The only difference being while they won't, I will

I actually have quite a lot of sympathy for the majority of talented new agers who are being swamped out by Dumbledore's Army. Faced with these arrogant extremists who rock the media and take an obnoxious 'I know better than you know' attitude, I can see genuinely talented people find themselves get muddled up with the Christian equivalent of the 'Westboro Baptist Church'. Before I came to TW I had considered myself 'wiccan-ish', not intitated but as good as involved. Only then was I able to see how lamentably silly and ego rising some of it was; not gone unnoticed by the genuine newagers sooking and sighing in the background. There will always be idiots but making a vast generalisation based on a very loud minority is unfair. Had I not read about the birth of Wicca (as many don't to begin with, they assume it's 'ancient' instead of based on 'ancient') and not backed the hell out, full reverse into TW, I could very well be baking bat shaped cookies for my equinoxes and enjoying it too.

Really, if it works, it works. Yes I can be an ass by secretly mocking some of them but I certainly won't be underestimating them. That would be a mistake.

The way I see it, live and let live. They are no different to me than christian, buddist, muslim, jewish or hindu people. There are things I can agree with and things I think are fucking nuts in all those paths. I don't make a habit of going out of my way to bash another path because I don't follow it. Unless, of course, I'm speaking about specific nut jobs and a specific situation and having a good laugh. :blink: :laugh: I'm not perfect, and laughing at nutjobs is one of my flaws. :sleep: On a day to day basis, though, I'm pretty tolerant unless I'm am being recruited or this person is trying to push in to my life. I recently had a new age neighbor do this to me and I kindly told her to fuck off, that I didn't want to be friends and I didn't like her. She hit my creepy button in a big way. She kept trying though and it got to the point I had to get witchy with it. She is gone now, she convieniently moved. :) If it doesn't get that bad, and I am just talking I generally try to avoid metaphysical conversations and make small talk. The way I see it if they have nothing to teach me or I them, they will move on soon.

• Upvote 2

In my opininon new agers can be useful, the fact that they are what people think of as Witch can provide a cloak of illusion under which Witch does his or her work in the shadows.

It worth considering that new agers are mostly Witch who sleep or perhaps have begun to dream, where Witch inside is making itself known resulting in the need to beginning to search.

Those who are meant to find the way through illusion will find it, those who want to play at it and are content with illusion may well stop right there. Witch within will either give up and go back to sleep or jump up and down enough to make them look for another way.

In my experience, some people begin with the fluff, only to find it doesnt fulfil their awakening, its these I have concern and time for, those who are content to wallow in fluff are welcome to it, they will eventually fall back asleep, in which case they will do nothing except live life as the rest of humanity do.

I dont have limits unless I set them myself to do purpose; each contact I have with others is different according to thier actions and thoughts.

:thumbsup: I agree with a lot of what you've said here.

Guest atropa

Hello Whiterose

I dont think laughing at "nutjobs" is a flaw, its a genuine enough occupation, some "nutjobs" ask for it.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty intolerant with anyone that attempts to force their beliefs on me, regardless of their background. That being said though, most of the "new agers" that I know have been pretty open and understanding about the differences between our paths. Many of them are older anyway, and realize that life's not all gushy-roses-and-white-light-on-a-spring-day. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I've had the most run-ins with fundies (aka Bible-thumpers) that would come knocking on my door (gotta love living in the bible belt); it used to amuse me when I was younger to thump back, but that's lost its luster over the years, now I just slam the door on 'em...or introduce them to my German Shepherd. :bolt:

I don't like wasting my time anymore than I have too. I have the advantage of walking around without acknowledging anyone so it would be like I walk pass them with acknowledging that they exist.

If someone says "Be Blessed" I would say "Be Demonized" (but I wouldn't say that to a woman)

If someone says "Be Blessed" I would say "Be Demonized" (but I wouldn't say that to a woman)

I love that, and I would say that to a woman. :)

Hello Whiterose

I dont think laughing at "nutjobs" is a flaw, its a genuine enough occupation, some "nutjobs" ask for it.

Haha, thanks. I definately agree. I was being sarcastic ;), but you know that.

On a more serious note, in most conversations I can tell the differerence between differernt path beliefs and whether or not they are completely bonkers. I think someone said that reasoning is important in the craft and I whole heartedly agree. I have a line and after that line they have acheived nutjob status with me and I get to laugh :D. If you don't have a line then you can be swindled by bullshit and I decided I was done with bullshit when I left wicca behind.

[quote name

Lol! Oh definitely! I so agree. This reminds me of awhile ago when I first was on Youtube, how I would take great pains to explain to people that Wiccans and Witches were two different things and point out misconceptions and misinformation and then . . .I got smarter. ;) I also found myself nodding with the rest of your post as well--well put!

• Upvote 1

What is your New Age tolerance?

Fleeting and quickly approaching non existent..

If someone says "Be Blessed" I would say "Be Demonized"

Excellent.. may have to borrow this one...

• Upvote 1

I've got no problem with New Agers, like Sara said, they don't think I'm looney for believing that magic works so I like being around them. I just can't discuss some of the serious aspects of my personal craft with them because they get horrified/sick/naseous/angry/scared.

Funny, it wasn't that long ago that I posted this, and since a couple of my husbands friends have gone New Age and think they're suddenly shamans now. :dry: That's all fine and dandy and whatever but since I'm pretty secretive with my local peeps they think I'm just your average atheist and keep tossing out hints about how much they could teach me and how beautiful the universe is if I would just open my mind. Most of the time I react with :fucku: but it's starting to get annoying, may have to take care of it if they don't chill. I'm not going to let them know what I do, don't trust them to keep their mouths shut OR stick with their newfound 'enlightenment' lol..

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to let them know what I do, don't trust them to keep their mouths shut OR stick with their newfound 'enlightenment' lol..

Yes! I really don't trust anyone. One blab where I live (and seems true for many here) and I can see the villagers at the door, pitchforks, torches, bibles and crucifixes in hand! Obviously I have certain protections but why take unnecessary chances? Other than outing me, the possible ramifications job-wise for my husband and sons can be devastating in our local economy and I've already spoken about the schools on another thread. I keep to myself what is necessary and what I share is very selective and seriously diluted, if I don't balk completely. Fuck em! It's none of their business! It's not like I ask them to tell me about their faith!

P.S. I found that the easiest way to keep Mormon', Born Again and Jehovah's Witnesses from coming back repeatedly, trying to constantly "save" me, is to tell them I'm Jewish. Lol It works. Slamming the door seems to bring more literature and more the next time! Honesty, black candles and pentagrams only seem to make them try harder or want to exorcise me! :rolleyes:

'Be Demonized' that's hysterical! :lolol: oooh, I love it!

Guest LadyofTheRavens

P.S. I found that the easiest way to keep Mormon', Born Again and Jehovah's Witnesses from coming back repeatedly, trying to constantly "save" me, is to tell them I'm Jewish. Lol It works. Slamming the door seems to bring more literature and more the next time! Honesty, black candles and pentagrams only seem to make them try harder or want to exorcise me! :rolleyes:

'Be Demonized' that's hysterical! :lolol: oooh, I love it!

I have had a similar experience there LOL... yes if you tell them you are a witch, they are likely to set up a candlelit vigil outside your gate with their whole congregation...

Sign in to follow this