159 replies to this topic

#121 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

HAHAHA yes, Atehequa.

My tolerance for new agey things is getting smaller and more brittle. Mostly becasue my current partner is a little new agey, and the things he says sometimes irk me. Especially if what he says is in response to something I say (so very rarely i open up to anyone about my own beleifs, and when it is returned not with his own thoughts, but with a simplistic platitude masked in "enlightenment", i get a little stabby). Actually I think that is the whole problem for me now that I think on it. That everything I say is too this or too that or focused on real world actions rather than trusting the universe and manifesting positive thoughts....without ever needing to hold yourself accountable, or peel back the layers of your psyche to get at the core of who you are, or develop a deeper understanding of the world and your place in it. I operate within a wide specturm of experience, feelings, beleifs, old and new knowledge. i dont pick and choose which experiences to validate(self denial/rejection) because they are all part of my own subjective human experience and are therefore inherently integrated in my worldview. so I dont reject sadness and pain as unenlightenment, i dont reject my anger or fear, I harness it, if it is reasonable (and sometimes it is not, being self aware is doubly important in everything i do, definitely moreso than stifling huge aspects of yourself in order to be perceived as spiritual in the socially acceptable/respectable way). Some parts of me are ugly and scarred, and i love those tough bits as much as I do the whimsical and sweet aspects of my nature.

THe other thing that gets at me is the claim that new agey stuff is about ridding yourself of the ego, but at the same time focuses only on ego pleasing things. The whole things reeks of celestial circlejerk and I miss completely where the work is. where is the gnosis and discovery? How is it used ? in my experience its just another part of the hippy lifestyle consumer package and is fairly vacuous. wow this came out a lot more angry than i expected it to. To be fair to my partner, i just want to say he is not the whole source of this frustration, just the current example. And we usually dont even talk about this because it quickly turns to frustrating platitudes, which maybe mean more to him than they do to me but i cant help but notice there isnt a lot of talk on HIS THOUGHTS regarding these things,moreso repeating what someone else said about something that he agrees with. That is where the good stuff is at, im sure he has plenty of fascinating ideas he's shy to share, or maybe talking to me frustrates him in the same way.

#122 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

Sometimes while meditating in my 'special place' spirit guide Wind Waffle appears. 

An obscure fact, Wind Waffle was first channeled by the incompetent Cornish dentist and rubber band collecting buff Maurice Trenchwhistle back in 1961. Wind Waffle appeared to Dr. Trenchwhistle as a rather run of the mill frozen breakfast treat, but there the similarities ended. 

"Don't be confused by my appetizing golden brown color or my perfectly square nooks and crannies, I'm not your typical unenlightened fast breakfast item found on the frozen food isle." Wind Waffle initially explained to Trenchwhistle.

On my last weekend vision quest, I told my friends Purple Warbler Wolf and Paisley Butterfly Caterpillar all about Wind Waffle.

That's so funny! :D

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#123 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

What I like about it the best?

My choice of toppings.

Attached File  SPIRITWAFFLE.png   324.95KB   0 downloads

Attached File  wafflehouseoutside.jpg   186.83KB   0 downloads

#124 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

Waffle House can have so many implications for a European trying to understand US slang. LOL

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#125 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:39 PM

Waffle House can have so many implications for a European trying to understand US slang. LOL

#########################

Ahhh, the Waffle House. Many moons ago during my bar hopping nights, at 2:30AM that illuminated bright yellow sign was like a beacon and inside was like temple.There was a jukebox and perfectly round hash browns. The menu, laminated in clear plastic was like a sacred text to hungry travelers, commuters, as well as barflies in need of both nourishment and something to soak up the poison in their bellies. 

#126 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

HAHAHA yes, Atehequa.

My tolerance for new agey things is getting smaller and more brittle. Mostly becasue my current partner is a little new agey, and the things he says sometimes irk me. Especially if what he says is in response to something I say (so very rarely i open up to anyone about my own beleifs, and when it is returned not with his own thoughts, but with a simplistic platitude masked in "enlightenment", i get a little stabby). Actually I think that is the whole problem for me now that I think on it. That everything I say is too this or too that or focused on real world actions rather than trusting the universe and manifesting positive thoughts....without ever needing to hold yourself accountable, or peel back the layers of your psyche to get at the core of who you are, or develop a deeper understanding of the world and your place in it. I operate within a wide specturm of experience, feelings, beleifs, old and new knowledge. i dont pick and choose which experiences to validate(self denial/rejection) because they are all part of my own subjective human experience and are therefore inherently integrated in my worldview. so I dont reject sadness and pain as unenlightenment, i dont reject my anger or fear, I harness it, if it is reasonable (and sometimes it is not, being self aware is doubly important in everything i do, definitely moreso than stifling huge aspects of yourself in order to be perceived as spiritual in the socially acceptable/respectable way). Some parts of me are ugly and scarred, and i love those tough bits as much as I do the whimsical and sweet aspects of my nature.

THe other thing that gets at me is the claim that new agey stuff is about ridding yourself of the ego, but at the same time focuses only on ego pleasing things. The whole things reeks of celestial circlejerk and I miss completely where the work is. where is the gnosis and discovery? How is it used ? in my experience its just another part of the hippy lifestyle consumer package and is fairly vacuous. wow this came out a lot more angry than i expected it to. To be fair to my partner, i just want to say he is not the whole source of this frustration, just the current example. And we usually dont even talk about this because it quickly turns to frustrating platitudes, which maybe mean more to him than they do to me but i cant help but notice there isnt a lot of talk on HIS THOUGHTS regarding these things,moreso repeating what someone else said about something that he agrees with. That is where the good stuff is at, im sure he has plenty of fascinating ideas he's shy to share, or maybe talking to me frustrates him in the same way.

Heartfelt words. 

Yeah rid one's self of one's ego and individual sense of being. Sheep bleating for the same fodder they eat every day while under the watchful eyes of a shepherd who has taste for mutton.

#127 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

My tolerance for new agers varies, according to the person. I find many of them can get pretty well-versed about what they're doing, and can be very interesting to talk to. But those ones aren't the fluffy, love and light crowd who jump on any bandwagon. My favourites are probably the new agers who are baby boomers. They seem to think more for themselves, and do things new agey because they want to, not because it's the latest thing.

Even the fluffy new agers, I can get along with quite well, and find some common ground. I can even say that about a select few Christians, but to be honest, not many of them!

Here's where I draw a line with my tolerance of new agers: if they act smug, superior and condescending, as though the rest of us plebs are all unevolved and on a lower vibrational plain then they are. The ones who act passive aggressively, and do this with a high-pitched voice, because they need to act cheerful about their judgement of someone, because it's sooo important to these types to always be 'above' the other person. Also, I can think of two new agers off the top of my head who, if you caught them on a bad day, which is fairly often, have quite a nasty, mean side. When they get into this mood, the whole world is against them, they are the poor little victim, and are more likely to outright lash out with screaming, swearing and abuse. I always assume it's because pretending to be nice all the time has led them to bottle up all their dark side, and it comes out uncontrollably. That shit is not healthy, and as soon as I pick up on that, I might say hello to those types of people if I run into them on the street, but I will otherwise keep my distance. Those types of new agers provoke a lot of frustration in me.

Those types of new agers also have a way of scolding you in the most cheerful way, as if they were a teenage babysitter, and you're the tantrumming toddler. It's a lack of self awareness, an immaturity and I have no time for any of it.

I also get pretty disgusted at a lot of the cultural appropriation that is so blatant with these types. I'm all for learning about practices from other cultures, and I dabble in some of them myself, but when we do that, I believe we need to approach it with respect to that culture, be considerate and research it thoroughly. The most aggressive new ager I know who has the foulest temper, and I honestly believe is completely unhinged, loves to 'namaste' the fuck out of everything :D I don't think she sees how hypocritical she is at all. And no, she is not, has never been, and never will be, a friend of mine. But I would say hello to her down the street if necessary, and walk on by.

I think my favourite new agers are the ones who may do things differently to myself, but I can truly see something genuine growing in them, and you can just see that whatever they are doing is truly healing them and doing them good.

Oh! And one more thing that will anger me with a new ager, possibly more than anything else: the latest fad of 'living your most authentic life'. It's all well and good if they choose to be 'authentic', eg, an open book, and tell everyone all the crazy shit they like to do. But I feel that people on this band wagon are very forceful about it with others. It's all about being authentic at all costs. Are you gay? The 'authentic living'  new ager will tell you that you must be out and proud, to be your most authentic self. Are you gay and an underage teen living with abusive parents who would kick you out if you told them? Doesn't matter. The 'authentic living' enthusiast will preach that by being upfront about who you are will take you to your more authentic life, and anyone who can't accept you as you are, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I have seen bad advice similar to this (but it wasn't about being gay, it was something else) given, with no consideration or regard to the person who would definitely be physically assaulted and definitely had nowhere to go if they were kicked out of home. I have no tolerance for that shit. No one has any right to put a kid in danger like that. Sometimes, we keep secrets for our own safety. Sometimes, we tell people more about ourselves, if and when the time is right, and no one has the right to pressure people to rush into such decisions. So, if I feel someone is doing more harm than good, that's another area where my tolerance runs out.

It also  irritates me, because it's as if, being 'authentic' means you're expected to surrender any rights to privacy, and if you don't, if you're not 100% an open book, then you're not 'being authentic', which to me, is as good as passive aggressively telling someone to their face you think they're fake. It also reeks of noseyness to me. Sure, go be authentic! I don't give a shit. But the dangerous advice (especially to the vulnerable) needs to be called out quickly and sternly.

Edited by Tricycle, 19 September 2017 - 04:20 PM.

#128 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

Interesting thread - good bump Tricycle.

I am pretty tolerant of anything but extremism BUT I don't like anything that is all about 'embracing the light'. If I had been introduced to my shadow side sooner, I would have been much happier. Instead of fighting against my own self to silence any 'darkness' within me (leading to a 2 year depression) I could have been working with my shadow in a positive way.

The whole love and light thing smacks of patriarchy for me tbh. It's another way of telling women to smile and be pretty and perky and accept whatever shit is thrown their way while they chant about a better future or some crap. It's another way of keeping women away from their power.

Tradcraft for me is about the shadow self and nature. The moon and menstruation, blood and raw energy. It's about walking outside in all weathers at all times of the day and night and not feeling afraid the way I used to in the dark. There's so much to learn still but at least I can see the path now. For years I didn't know it was there because everything I'd ever heard about witchcraft was Wicca or new age which all seemed like bullshit to me.

I do believe in the 'light' though. It's just I believe in the darkness too, at least within me. I draw power from both and I don't much care how other people do the work as long as they have some kind of ethical framework. 

#129 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

Pros and cons. Personally I like people with a positive out look, but anything over done and invasive drives me away. Yet, if it weren't for some welcoming New Age experiences I wouldn't have encountered Wicca, and followed the trail to Traditional witchcraft. Of course I don't like "more evolved than thee" types in any path, and honestly have run into just as many such personalities in alleged trad-paths...y'know the type whose path is historically authentic and everyone else's a wannabe, or the ones that just want to be cursedly intimidating. I'd like to see more people be conscious of their energy imprint.

#130 mudang

mudang

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

I feel like I'm fairly tolerant. However, coming from a very traditional religion and spiritual lineage (my spirit mother is a bit of a purist), i have some bias against new age. I've never been drawn to crystals, chakras - etc. It never felt right to me.

Call me Mivi.

Korean Shaman-Priest (무당)

Schedule 신점 (divination), 기도 (prayerwork), 굿 (grand ceremonies)!

Fundraiser for Temple Room

"Money can move the gods."

#131 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:54 PM

I have a couple New Age friends & acquaintances. I have a fairly high tolerance for the ones I've known longest, even when I have to hear about the Almighty Karma (and not said in a joking manner either) or about all the higher vibrations coming from all the crystals. The watered down concept of "karma" is pretty culturally accepted in US society, so the saying "karma will get you" is something I hear pretty often when people are upset.

I don't really have a hard time being friends with them unless they: proselytize constantly, telling me I need the power of the Light in my life; that they're terrified of spirits, especially the ones they sense in & around my house; that they're white witches not black witches--and then turn around and beg me to curse their enemies. I could go on, but you get the gist. I have a few friends who are pagan or Wiccan, but I find that I am only able to have very shallow, surface-level relationships with the more dire New Agers.

But, I'd rather deal with New Age people any day than extreme evangelicals or muslims.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#132 Guest_SorcererSupreme_*

Guest_SorcererSupreme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

That prayer Bullshit they say at the end of Women's Yoga class.

Anytime someone says,
"Sending Vibrations/Prayers"
or "Merry Mete/Blessed be".

#133 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

that they're white witches not black witches--and then turn around and beg me to curse their enemies. I could go on, but you get the gist. I have a few friends who are pagan or Wiccan, but I find that I am only able to have very shallow, surface-level relationships with the more dire New Agers.

I think that's something that sets my teeth on edge, and I'm not sure why, but it always has; the idea of white witches/white magic and ditto for black.

#134 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

I don't know if it's just me but I get incredibly bored by them half the time , especially when they are telling me what to do in their patronising tones, I have new agey acquaintances who I smile politely at but half the time I'm just humouring them.

#135 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

Getting thinner all the time. I am far less patient in my old age lol.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#136 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

My tolerance for new agers varies, according to the person. I find many of them can get pretty well-versed about what they're doing, and can be very interesting to talk to. But those ones aren't the fluffy, love and light crowd who jump on any bandwagon. My favourites are probably the new agers who are baby boomers. They seem to think more for themselves, and do things new agey because they want to, not because it's the latest thing.

Even the fluffy new agers, I can get along with quite well, and find some common ground. I can even say that about a select few Christians, but to be honest, not many of them!

Here's where I draw a line with my tolerance of new agers: if they act smug, superior and condescending, as though the rest of us plebs are all unevolved and on a lower vibrational plain then they are. The ones who act passive aggressively, and do this with a high-pitched voice, because they need to act cheerful about their judgement of someone, because it's sooo important to these types to always be 'above' the other person. Also, I can think of two new agers off the top of my head who, if you caught them on a bad day, which is fairly often, have quite a nasty, mean side. When they get into this mood, the whole world is against them, they are the poor little victim, and are more likely to outright lash out with screaming, swearing and abuse. I always assume it's because pretending to be nice all the time has led them to bottle up all their dark side, and it comes out uncontrollably. That shit is not healthy, and as soon as I pick up on that, I might say hello to those types of people if I run into them on the street, but I will otherwise keep my distance. Those types of new agers provoke a lot of frustration in me.

Those types of new agers also have a way of scolding you in the most cheerful way, as if they were a teenage babysitter, and you're the tantrumming toddler. It's a lack of self awareness, an immaturity and I have no time for any of it.

I also get pretty disgusted at a lot of the cultural appropriation that is so blatant with these types. I'm all for learning about practices from other cultures, and I dabble in some of them myself, but when we do that, I believe we need to approach it with respect to that culture, be considerate and research it thoroughly. The most aggressive new ager I know who has the foulest temper, and I honestly believe is completely unhinged, loves to 'namaste' the fuck out of everything :D I don't think she sees how hypocritical she is at all. And no, she is not, has never been, and never will be, a friend of mine. But I would say hello to her down the street if necessary, and walk on by.

I think my favourite new agers are the ones who may do things differently to myself, but I can truly see something genuine growing in them, and you can just see that whatever they are doing is truly healing them and doing them good.

Oh! And one more thing that will anger me with a new ager, possibly more than anything else: the latest fad of 'living your most authentic life'. It's all well and good if they choose to be 'authentic', eg, an open book, and tell everyone all the crazy shit they like to do. But I feel that people on this band wagon are very forceful about it with others. It's all about being authentic at all costs. Are you gay? The 'authentic living'  new ager will tell you that you must be out and proud, to be your most authentic self. Are you gay and an underage teen living with abusive parents who would kick you out if you told them? Doesn't matter. The 'authentic living' enthusiast will preach that by being upfront about who you are will take you to your more authentic life, and anyone who can't accept you as you are, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I have seen bad advice similar to this (but it wasn't about being gay, it was something else) given, with no consideration or regard to the person who would definitely be physically assaulted and definitely had nowhere to go if they were kicked out of home. I have no tolerance for that shit. No one has any right to put a kid in danger like that. Sometimes, we keep secrets for our own safety. Sometimes, we tell people more about ourselves, if and when the time is right, and no one has the right to pressure people to rush into such decisions. So, if I feel someone is doing more harm than good, that's another area where my tolerance runs out.

It also  irritates me, because it's as if, being 'authentic' means you're expected to surrender any rights to privacy, and if you don't, if you're not 100% an open book, then you're not 'being authentic', which to me, is as good as passive aggressively telling someone to their face you think they're fake. It also reeks of noseyness to me. Sure, go be authentic! I don't give a shit. But the dangerous advice (especially to the vulnerable) needs to be called out quickly and sternly.

Sorry to quote your whole comment, but my gods what a satisfying rant that was to read. I agree. It sounds like you are venting about a certain new age mentality, with a certain guru at its head. "they need to act cheerful about their judgement of someone" oh bingo. Its infuriating.

#137 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

Haha, thanks! I see a lot of 'authenticity' talk on youtube, where I watch a lot of tarot videos, and whatever else is recommended, that catches my fancy. There's one person who I think is just awful, called Teal Swan, who says a lot of potentially damaging stuff (I can't remember what it was, but she said something really disturbing about suicide), and recently a suggested video for me came up by her. It was titled something like, 'if you want time alone (or space, or something), then you're not being authentic'. I just think it's madness. I didn't watch the video, but I was happy to read in the comments that many disagreed with her.

#138 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Hmmm, I guess only extroverts are 'authentic' then, lol.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#139 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:55 PM

Hmmm, I guess only extroverts are 'authentic' then, lol.

LMAO! When I saw the title of that video, all I could think of is if anyone believed this and tried to live by it, they would be the biggest pain in the arse to everyone around them! :P

#140 seacow

seacow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

Haha, thanks! I see a lot of 'authenticity' talk on youtube, where I watch a lot of tarot videos, and whatever else is recommended, that catches my fancy. There's one person who I think is just awful, called Teal Swan, who says a lot of potentially damaging stuff (I can't remember what it was, but she said something really disturbing about suicide), and recently a suggested video for me came up by her. It was titled something like, 'if you want time alone (or space, or something), then you're not being authentic'. I just think it's madness. I didn't watch the video, but I was happy to read in the comments that many disagreed with her.

Holy fucking hell, went to check out her posts and what an arrogant dumb fuck this person is. Damn.