159 replies to this topic

#41 Oneironaut

Oneironaut

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'm pretty intolerant with anyone that attempts to force their beliefs on me, regardless of their background. That being said though, most of the "new agers" that I know have been pretty open and understanding about the differences between our paths. Many of them are older anyway, and realize that life's not all gushy-roses-and-white-light-on-a-spring-day. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I've had the most run-ins with fundies (aka Bible-thumpers) that would come knocking on my door (gotta love living in the bible belt); it used to amuse me when I was younger to thump back, but that's lost its luster over the years, now I just slam the door on 'em...or introduce them to my German Shepherd. :bolt:

-- Oneironaut

#42 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

I don't like wasting my time anymore than I have too. I have the advantage of walking around without acknowledging anyone so it would be like I walk pass them with acknowledging that they exist.

If someone says "Be Blessed" I would say "Be Demonized" (but I wouldn't say that to a woman)

#43 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

If someone says "Be Blessed" I would say "Be Demonized" (but I wouldn't say that to a woman)

I love that, and I would say that to a woman. :)

#44 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

Hello Whiterose

I dont think laughing at "nutjobs" is a flaw, its a genuine enough occupation, some "nutjobs" ask for it.

Haha, thanks. I definately agree. I was being sarcastic ;), but you know that.

On a more serious note, in most conversations I can tell the differerence between differernt path beliefs and whether or not they are completely bonkers. I think someone said that reasoning is important in the craft and I whole heartedly agree. I have a line and after that line they have acheived nutjob status with me and I get to laugh :D. If you don't have a line then you can be swindled by bullshit and I decided I was done with bullshit when I left wicca behind.

#45 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

[quote name
In my opininon new agers can be useful, the fact that they are what people think of as Witch can provide a cloak of illusion under which Witch does his or her work in the shadows.

[/quote]

Lol! Oh definitely! I so agree. This reminds me of awhile ago when I first was on Youtube, how I would take great pains to explain to people that Wiccans and Witches were two different things and point out misconceptions and misinformation and then . . .I got smarter. ;) I also found myself nodding with the rest of your post as well--well put!

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#46 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

What is your New Age tolerance?

Fleeting and quickly approaching non existent..

If someone says "Be Blessed" I would say "Be Demonized"

Excellent.. may have to borrow this one...

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#47 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

I've got no problem with New Agers, like Sara said, they don't think I'm looney for believing that magic works so I like being around them. I just can't discuss some of the serious aspects of my personal craft with them because they get horrified/sick/naseous/angry/scared.

Funny, it wasn't that long ago that I posted this, and since a couple of my husbands friends have gone New Age and think they're suddenly shamans now. :dry: That's all fine and dandy and whatever but since I'm pretty secretive with my local peeps they think I'm just your average atheist and keep tossing out hints about how much they could teach me and how beautiful the universe is if I would just open my mind. Most of the time I react with :fucku: but it's starting to get annoying, may have to take care of it if they don't chill. I'm not going to let them know what I do, don't trust them to keep their mouths shut OR stick with their newfound 'enlightenment' lol..

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#48 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

Fleeting and quickly approaching non existent..

LOL! I hear ya.

#49 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

I'm not going to let them know what I do, don't trust them to keep their mouths shut OR stick with their newfound 'enlightenment' lol..

Yes! I really don't trust anyone. One blab where I live (and seems true for many here) and I can see the villagers at the door, pitchforks, torches, bibles and crucifixes in hand! Obviously I have certain protections but why take unnecessary chances? Other than outing me, the possible ramifications job-wise for my husband and sons can be devastating in our local economy and I've already spoken about the schools on another thread. I keep to myself what is necessary and what I share is very selective and seriously diluted, if I don't balk completely. Fuck em! It's none of their business! It's not like I ask them to tell me about their faith!

P.S. I found that the easiest way to keep Mormon', Born Again and Jehovah's Witnesses from coming back repeatedly, trying to constantly "save" me, is to tell them I'm Jewish. Lol It works. Slamming the door seems to bring more literature and more the next time! Honesty, black candles and pentagrams only seem to make them try harder or want to exorcise me! :rolleyes:

'Be Demonized' that's hysterical! :lolol: oooh, I love it!

#50 Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*

Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

P.S. I found that the easiest way to keep Mormon', Born Again and Jehovah's Witnesses from coming back repeatedly, trying to constantly "save" me, is to tell them I'm Jewish. Lol It works. Slamming the door seems to bring more literature and more the next time! Honesty, black candles and pentagrams only seem to make them try harder or want to exorcise me! :rolleyes:

I have had a similar experience there LOL... yes if you tell them you are a witch, they are likely to set up a candlelit vigil outside your gate with their whole congregation...

#51 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

I have been quite tolerant lately, although maybe thats because I don't go looking for them. Unfortunately at the moment I have a very low tolerance for Christians cause they are everywhere, all the time, I can't escape! lol

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#52 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

I have been quite tolerant lately, although maybe thats because I don't go looking for them. Unfortunately at the moment I have a very low tolerance for Christians cause they are everywhere, all the time, I can't escape! lol

I know what you mean Brambles, as I also feel that I can't escape these days, not IRL and sometimes not online, either. Hiding away all the time gets a little bit boring, so I have to venture into the big, bad world once in awhile.

Suprisingly, the people that annoy me the most are the "nice ones", the ones that mean well, but have no fucking clue. I mean if someone is an outright pain in the ass, you can blast them and be about your business. But, than someone who is generally nice comes along, so you tolerate them, at least for a time, but than gradually they start to wear away at your patience. Soon, they think you are smiling and nodding, but you are really gritting your teeth and twitching, wishing that they would either 1) say something stupid or offensive, so you won't feel guilty about ripping their throat out, or 2) shut the fuck up.

Jevne

#53 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

Sounds like a good bit of sport,unfortunately nobody ever walks this way.ohh what a shame,i do tend to get bored at times.A vigil out side my home!, me thinks I could sooo have fun.

#54 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Sounds like a good bit of sport,unfortunately nobody ever walks this way.ohh what a shame,i do tend to get bored at times.A vigil out side my home!, me thinks I could sooo have fun.

Imagining throwing a large sachet of saltpeter on their fire and watching them all shit their pants, roflmao! :cauldron:

#55 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

I know what you mean Brambles, as I also feel that I can't escape these days, not IRL and sometimes not online, either. Hiding away all the time gets a little bit boring, so I have to venture into the big, bad world once in awhile.

Suprisingly, the people that annoy me the most are the "nice ones", the ones that mean well, but have no fucking clue. I mean if someone is an outright pain in the ass, you can blast them and be about your business. But, than someone who is generally nice comes along, so you tolerate them, at least for a time, but than gradually they start to wear away at your patience. Soon, they think you are smiling and nodding, but you are really gritting your teeth and twitching, wishing that they would either 1) say something stupid or offensive, so you won't feel guilty about ripping their throat out, or 2) shut the fuck up.

Jevne

Oh I know!! Especially the ones who act like saints but are up to all kinds of stupidity and then tell folk like us we are doomed for hell. I generally have low tolerance for stupidity but unfortunately it happens all the time. Weird thing is, I do more "good deeds" then most Christians I know. Maybe it's cause I don't deprive myself of so called "sins". lol You always want what you can't have...:rolleyes_witch:

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#56 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

Yes! I really don't trust anyone. One blab where I live (and seems true for many here) and I can see the villagers at the door, pitchforks, torches, bibles and crucifixes in hand! Obviously I have certain protections but why take unnecessary chances? Other than outing me, the possible ramifications job-wise for my husband and sons can be devastating in our local economy and I've already spoken about the schools on another thread. I keep to myself what is necessary and what I share is very selective and seriously diluted, if I don't balk completely. Fuck em! It's none of their business! It's not like I ask them to tell me about their faith!

Yes! I can relate too! First off I so agree with the "it's no ones business" thought and secondly, I have my husband and *especially* my children to consider and protect! I fortunately live in an area that is more open minded and tolerant than a lot of places (south central WI Heck even the Dali Lama likes it here!), but still! Wariness is best. I do the old hide in plain sight. And i get aggravated with those who out themselves and think everyone should do so, so that "people understand that witches are people too, and not to be afraid of us, and promote understanding, etc etc, and what are YOU teaching your kids if you *hide*! Yeah whatever. You want to paint a target on your kids, that's your business.

My new age tolerance rises and falls--the thing that still makes me roll my eyes and I know its petty and superficial, but it's those NAMES. The latest one? Lady FairyMoon. I mean how on earth can you take someone seriously with a name like that! Of course she hangs out with someone who thinks its "ok" to teach newbies that demons "are our friends and here to help us" And to do the Ouija board with the flimsiest of protections . . .okay, sorry ranting abit, Stopping now!

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

#57 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

Imagining throwing a large sachet of saltpeter on their fire and watching them all shit their pants, roflmao! :cauldron:

I would pay good money to see that!! LoL

My tolerance for the New Age people is a lot higher than it is for bible-thumping Christians, Jehovah's witnesses, and at this point in time, pollsters and other political solicitors! GRR! Posted Image

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#58 Palemoon

Palemoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

I'm not to bothered by them because I just see them passing on the street or serving in New Age shops. They have never tried to pull me in to their world, they are just polite and friendly. I can see how their "Harm none" and worldly love approach can seem a bit Disney to some people but there are enough nasty sick people (of no particular religion) in the world, that a few folks acting in a kind gentle matter and babbling away don't bother me - as long as they don't try to push their beliefs in my face that is!

One thing I do find sad/depressing about some New Age lifestyle seekers is that they cannot function without being told what they should be doing. They devour books, websites, look for mentors trying to find a way to connect with nature and spirits instead of just getting out there and connecting with the world. Sure you should check up on any herbs you will be using on or in your body in case they are poisonious, but so much is to be discovered by exploring on your own. I spend a lot of time outside watching and listening to the trees, animals, birds, wind etc. I like to get hands on and feel the earths vibrations, not just think "Oh I need to do A, B, C, because so-and-so said it in the book they wrote"

#59 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

One thing I do find sad/depressing about some New Age lifestyle seekers is that they cannot function without being told what they should be doing. They devour books, websites, look for mentors trying to find a way to connect with nature and spirits instead of just getting out there and connecting with the world. Sure you should check up on any herbs you will be using on or in your body in case they are poisonious, but so much is to be discovered by exploring on your own. I spend a lot of time outside watching and listening to the trees, animals, birds, wind etc. I like to get hands on and feel the earths vibrations, not just think "Oh I need to do A, B, C, because so-and-so said it in the book they wrote"

Unfortunately, new age seekers are not the only ones afflicted by this. I know some self-proclaimed Trads, who have read every book related to witchcraft, but have never actually practiced the CRAFT.

J

#60 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Unfortunately, new age seekers are not the only ones afflicted by this. I know some self-proclaimed Trads, who have read every book related to witchcraft, but have never actually practiced the CRAFT.

J

I've often thought that as a society, in the US, UK and other European countries, since the 70s thereabouts, there has been such an influx of self-help books that tell you how to do it their way. even though it's "self" help. I've also noticed in magazines on everything from home decorating to health, there are tons of articles telling you "exactly" how to do something, no matter how trivial a thing it is. For instance awhile back i was at a "Candlelite" party--think tupperware but with candles and holders. The hostess was explaining how to burn a candle the right way and one of the woman showed her one of her own candles she had brought, asking "Am I burning my candle the right way? I don't think I am. Can I fix it?"

:wacko:

So this doesn't surprise me. A lot of folks seem to be afraid of taking a step on their own.