159 replies to this topic

#21 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Also, they're rare in my area, so I have pretty low exposure. lol I don't go where they are on the net.

This is so key. I don't waste my time going places that will irritate me online and scream out, hey I am a trad witch, listen to me. And then get pissed when they go off on the harm none line.

Now in person in small doses, I will talk with new agers about herbs and stones etc. I do bristle a little when they go on about harm none even when its not been brought up. But smile and nod and get back to other more interesting areas of conversation that won't draw that up. Like local folklore, local spirits, etc. Things that are going to help me as a traditional and will interest them too. And like I said, this has led to me meeting people from traditional witchcraft in my area, it just took a long time and a lot of meeting people.

If I already had a family trad this might not be neccessary at all. But the networking aspect is an important consideration in person. Online? Not so much, I can come right here and avoid most of that new agey stuff.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#22 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

I would really love to hear more about this kind of thing from people who have been raised in family traditions. What modern New Age thought tells us we should be doing versus what has actually been done for generations. Unless there's a thread somewhere already that someone could point me to.

Every now and then I throw a few things out there. For instance, all cleansing bath s do is take away energies, which is good if something got attached to you and you can shake it off. However, if you're someone who's been brought up and taught to deal with spirits, these baths are a waste of time and water. Many things that New Age beliefs teach are about cleansing the self and disconnecting from certain energies so you can try to better connect to what's considered "positive" ones. The truth is, if you start to understand these energies, what they are and how to truly connect, you don't need to cleanse and try again, you can just tap in and out when you want to. It's kind of like Shamanic practices that what you to use certain plants for altered states. These states can be reached without anything, you just have to learn how to connect properly.

#23 Wych Elm

Wych Elm

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Every now and then I throw a few things out there. For instance, all cleansing bath s do is take away energies, which is good if something got attached to you and you can shake it off. However, if you're someone who's been brought up and taught to deal with spirits, these baths are a waste of time and water. Many things that New Age beliefs teach are about cleansing the self and disconnecting from certain energies so you can try to better connect to what's considered "positive" ones. The truth is, if you start to understand these energies, what they are and how to truly connect, you don't need to cleanse and try again, you can just tap in and out when you want to. It's kind of like Shamanic practices that what you to use certain plants for altered states. These states can be reached without anything, you just have to learn how to connect properly.

Thanks. That was really interesting and helpful.

Dance me through to the stillness, to the point where the motion begins. Dance me through to the silence, to the edge where the world begins. - Kathryn Price NicDhana

#24 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

As I read your post, I went through a whole bunch of different reactions, so i can honestly say that some of it drives me nuts and some of it I find myself nodding my head to.

In my case the first exposure to New Age was the magazine. My brother had a few copies. I looked them over and coming from a small conservative town, seeing all these articles about "weird stuff" just had me glued. In college I had gone through the "staying up late with new friends talking about this sort of thing" experience, tho overall the college population were people who would look at you weird if you talked about such things.

But even then I do remember seeing some topics that had me rolling my eyes.

Regarding "babbling about The Secret". I had not known much about the Law of Attraction prior to seeing the movie--at least I didn't call it that. I know it is not a new idea, Heinlein gave the Law a nod in his stories. And I was just beginning to learn about witchcraft when I saw the movie and saw the connection between the Law and intent. (The thing that did annoy me about the movie was how they acted like it was purposefully hidden--like that scene with the old men having that guy sign a paper as if he was agreeing to keep it a secret. BS alert!) And of course the whole bit about that the lady who made the movie didn't give credit to the "Abraham"/Esther and Jerry Hicks, where she got a lot of her info from. really ridiculous.
But yeah, witchcraft and the Law of Attraction go hand-in-hand. Heck I have fun turning the stop lights to green all the time. :vhappywitch:

I am getting off subject aren't I? Sorry--anyway, moving right along . . .

Tolerance levels. There was another thread that I touched on this, but I can't remember which it was. The "airy-fairy" mentality drives me crazy. Like that crystal skull called Nanu-Nanu. Heeellllloooooooooo Mork!

You know I have a brain--no really I do! And a healthy dose of common sense and an analytical mind all blended with intuitive me. Geez, just call me Mrs Conglomeration. So when people act like they have no minds, or really don't have any minds, or seem to force things like insisting to greet everyone with "namaste" which sounds about as real as nanu Nanu, yeah it bugs me. Now if said person said "Namaste' to me as a greeting and it "felt' solid and real. then no problem!

There is a new age store in town that I have gone to for years. The jewelry there is *fantastic* just gorgeous stuff, some really unique pieces, and also i can get my nag champa there and I collect minerals and crystals(since I was a kid, rockhound at heart) and it has a great selection, and well just about everything under the sun, [pendulums, tarot(tho some of those decks make me roll my eyes too), sweetgrass, essential oils, lots of goodies. Highly dangerous place. :witchbroom:

The store hosts events, and that is where I saw the nanu-nanu advert. **sigh** So much mindless stuff. I don't know why she(the owner) has so much of the airy stuff. BUT this brings me back around to the fact that the New Age movement brought out into the open a lot of peculiar ideas and thoughts that people used to just keep to themselves and although there is LOADS of schlock out there, there is also some really neat stuff and really mind-opening ideas that definitely can pave the path to even deeper things. It encourages people that maybe they aren't so odd or so alone as they felt. And you know what? A little more "love and light" is good for the world. A lot better than the alternative. true?
So my eye rolling and groaning is tempered by the fact that there are a lot of sweet natured people out there, being kind, trying to live a good life. Even if they do think they can call down all the angels willy-nilly. Moderation is the key! Moderation in exposure to all the saccharin, lol!

so that's my four cents.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#25 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

If I already had a family trad this might not be neccessary at all. But the networking aspect is an important consideration in person. Online? Not so much, I can come right here and avoid most of that new agey stuff.

For this reason and out of respect for Sylvan, who I happen to like, I answered the question. We are likely to come into contact with a variety of people in our lives and would be doing each other a disservice, if we did not help each other address what to do or discuss how complicated it can be. Can't hide away in a hole, after all.

Personally, I have limits to my tolerance, though. For example, if the question had been presented in a different manner or by someone else, my first reaction would have been to say . . . Why the fuck do we have to keep talking about new-age people and xtians on a Traditional Witchcraft forum? Of course, I can mitigate my responses, and I try not to be openly hostile, because I know some people here that I care about are uncomfortable with that. (Hey, even I am not a complete ogre. I get along famously with a great many people.)

But when here, I want to talk about actual Witchcraft and everything that involves. I do not necessarily want to practice being loving and tolerant.

#26 Sylvan

Sylvan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I’ve really enjoyed reading the variety of responses.

Real quick, I want to share what prompted this thread and offer some closing thoughts.

For the last couple of years I have been going through a sort of life reboot, holing up (yes, you can hide in a hole! ;))--though it’s time for me to come out.

I have a couple of close friends and all, but these past few years have been a time of serious pruning while I focus on myself and the home front (becoming a mother, for one).

Anyhow, now I’m itching to start rebuilding my outer life and particularly, my social circle. I want more friends, more connection out in the community. But also I am different than before. My identity and practice as a witch has really taken root. While I was always doing “stuff” before, it has been during this past two years in my “hole” that I have really made great strides in my witchcraft.

I used to traverse some new age circles before and like I said, in the area that I live, this is the closet I will come to like-minded. It’s interesting to me too, btw, that different camps of new age seems to occupy different geographic areas (not unlike mainstream religious denominations). There aren’t many alien-ers or even wiccans in these parts, it’s more the generic mainstream, cult-of-Oprah type. A good bit of Eastern influence with a smattering of astrology, self-help affirmations, etc.

A side story: I previously had a really good friend who was an energy healer. We really clicked on a deep level. But she was so committed to her super duper highest good self-care that I didn’t feel safe to have a dark side around her. We had a mutual friend that she kicked out of her life for having a pain pill addiction. I stuck by the mutual friend—yes, she was hooked on painkillers, but she also had had hip surgery and well, it was a tricky issue because legitimate pain was involved. But hell, even if she had been straight up messed up for no good reason I would have stuck by her. During that episode I understood that the only-good-vibes-at-all-costs orientation could come at a cruel price and had its own shadow (that they would likely deny). I also understood one key difference between the motivations of these people and myself—they are trying to have a happy life but I am trying to have a meaningful one. The two are not always the same thing.

Now that my “dark side” is even more integrated, I want to avoid a repeat of that scenario. I want to be careful to protect my witchy self but also not so careful that I fail to connect with people.

This is tricky with the new age types because some topics overlap. I work with guides, for instance, but I don’t send them to find me a flipping parking space like I read in one book. We might use some of the same “stuff” but for different reasons and in much different ways. I hope I know when to bite my tongue and when to let it wag.

This is something of a new balancing act so I was curious to see how other witches have navigated this terrain.

I like what sarasuperid said about hanging around them and maybe eventually being led to some more traditional types. I like hearing that that worked for her, even if it took awhile.

On the other hand, the idea of Jevne circling around doing “stuff” to them gave me a good cackle.

Yeah, this thread really isn’t so much about actually practicing witchcraft as how to be one in the world-at-large. Maybe it would better belong in the Starting a Traditional Path area?

And Jevne! I totally invite you to practice non-loving intolerance any time you like! Haha. After all, I was promised “hot banter” when I signed up for this site. :P_witch:

THE untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

Posted Image

#27 Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*

Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Good topic! But maybe I feel that way because I am at that stage of extreme annoyance lol. I think many of us go through it, aimed at either certain people, groups or topics. I for one am tired of "call on the archangels" Love&Light, Brightest Blessings etc etc. Among other things. But then... I think... perhaps I am annoyed because that was ME not so very long ago!

#28 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:00 AM

Since retiring from Wicca, I haven't stayed in much contact with any new-agers. I know two women online (other than those here) that call themselves witches. One is a 'Pagan' witch, one is Wiccan, and we don't talk about our separate practices anymore since I've gone down this path. I think I avoid trying to find witches in this area because I already know that most are of the Wiccan faith and whenever I've tried to hint that that wasn't me they suddenly seem less interested in me. Whatever. I have been known to ask for 'other/strange' items in the shop I frequent but they just say we'll try to get that or smile and carry on. Once when I was in there I was reading a copy of The Witch's Book of the Dead and an older guy breezed by with, "Oh, that's a good one." so I was kinda like hmmm :). And the other day I asked one of the employees if they had any copies of Witchcraft Medicine and she looked it up and ordered it, saying it sounded like a book she'd be interested in. The shopkeeper knows an old friend of mine who was Wiccan but the shopkeeper actually gives off a ceremonial witch or magician vibe. I may be bold enough to just ask if they know any traditional practitioners but at the moment I'm not that overly-interested in meeting any. *shrug*

I think the only new-agers that would honestly think anything I do is strange/evil are the ones that don't know what the hell they're doing anyway with their form of craft, the ones who signed up just because everyone else was doing it, and don't actually desire a real connection. I don't get that vibe from all of them. Some seem to be deeper than that and would probably readily accept or at least understand that my way helps me to feel deeper and that's alright, not 'evil'.

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#29 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

A very nicely written honest observation Lillikate, on your evolving, separating from the other groups and going to the traditional witch path. I vote it up

#30 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

A very nicely written honest observation Lillikate, on your evolving, separating from the other groups and going to the traditional witch path. I vote it up

Aww, thanks :D. My path has just become more personal and involved, and I don't really see the point in trying to talk to other people about it in detail like that, unless I know they'll get it even if they don't do it. I dunno. If someone's genuinely curious, I might speak about the things they could Google lol but anything deeper tends to be too personal anyway.

-Oscar Wilde

#31 Guest_Morgana Raven_*

Guest_Morgana Raven_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

1337449278[/url]' post='126222']
As long as they don't try and shove their peace and light crap down my throat-I could really care less about 'em. Live and let live.

Ditto!

#32 MoonWood11

MoonWood11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

i don't have a problem with people being themselves as long as it does no harm to me or mine. i don't really hang out with any new Agers,but i have looked into some new age stuff from time to time. i really find alot of other paths interesting...and sometimes just really woo woo...which is still kinda fascinating that people are just that out there..lol. to each its own...i like allowing others to be themselves...until it affects me negatively ...but so far so good...love and light oh yea!!! ;)
“After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul, and you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning and company doesn’t mean security, and you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts and presents aren’t promises, and you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes open, with the grace of an adult, not the grief of a child, and you learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans. After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much. So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers. And you learn that you really can endure… that you really are strong, and you really do have worth.” ~Veronica A. Shoffstall

#33 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

Apart from folk deliberately get me involved I guess I have a fairly high tolerance. The Mork and Mindy thing wouldn't faze me to much but then I am used to chaotes and their ideas so as long as I'm not involved I don't care. :)

As for dark sides and light sides, well both can be wrong in my eyes. I walk a balance, between good, evil, neutrality, dark, light and every other 'side'.

It is having that balance which makes traditional witchcraft different, we know there are other sides and we don't hide from them but use those sides.

#34 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

In my opininon new agers can be useful, the fact that they are what people think of as Witch can provide a cloak of illusion under which Witch does his or her work in the shadows.

It worth considering that new agers are mostly Witch who sleep or perhaps have begun to dream, where Witch inside is making itself known resulting in the need to beginning to search.

Those who are meant to find the way through illusion will find it, those who want to play at it and are content with illusion may well stop right there. Witch within will either give up and go back to sleep or jump up and down enough to make them look for another way.

In my experience, some people begin with the fluff, only to find it doesnt fulfil their awakening, its these I have concern and time for, those who are content to wallow in fluff are welcome to it, they will eventually fall back asleep, in which case they will do nothing except live life as the rest of humanity do.

I dont have limits unless I set them myself to do purpose; each contact I have with others is different according to thier actions and thoughts.

Edited by atropa, 30 August 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#35 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

They don't affect me. I'm not one to advertise myself and I don't looking into what others are doing either. That's not to say I'm antisocial, quite the contrary, but it's a shield I rarely bring down in social situations. On the odd occasion that I have gotten roped into any kind of religious discussion these days, I have generally declined to participate or simply walked away. :bolt: I used to revel in the shock value of messing with people. Oh the fun I had! But these days it just isn't worth it. Especially here. When I lived in a big city, there was a bigger cross section of diversity. Here, my children would have to bear the brunt of my actions. I just won't have the argument anymore and my life is just nunya (nunya damned business).
But to be honest, it's because I don't care enough about the people I'm talking with to share what is precious to me, and really, that's all it is. My path is my own and not suject to discussion with people I dont know (except here). So to answer the OP, my tolerance is just as it is with any other person. :lalala:

#36 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

They don't affect me. I'm not one to advertise myself and I don't looking into what others are doing either. That's not to say I'm antisocial, quite the contrary, but it's a shield I rarely bring down in social situations. On the odd occasion that I have gotten roped into any kind of religious discussion these days, I have generally declined to participate or simply walked away. :bolt: I used to revel in the shock value of messing with people. Oh the fun I had! But these days it just isn't worth it. Especially here. When I lived in a big city, there was a bigger cross section of diversity. Here, my children would have to bear the brunt of my actions. I just won't have the argument anymore and my life is just nunya (nunya damned business).
But to be honest, it's because I don't care enough about the people I'm talking with to share what is precious to me, and really, that's all it is. My path is my own and not suject to discussion with people I dont know (except here). So to answer the OP, my tolerance is just as it is with any other person. :lalala:

This is basically how I feel about it. If the individual is meaningful to me, as in I like them or their presence has some purpose, I will tolerate them. Otherwise, they are inconsequential.

#37 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'm a lot more tolerant than I used to be. I personally feel grateful of the sparkly, alluring pull of New Agery because without their morals and karma there would be a lot more sharks in the ocean. I have met some who, if they ditched their principles, would be bed wettingly effective at malice; The only difference being while they won't, I will

I actually have quite a lot of sympathy for the majority of talented new agers who are being swamped out by Dumbledore's Army. Faced with these arrogant extremists who rock the media and take an obnoxious 'I know better than you know' attitude, I can see genuinely talented people find themselves get muddled up with the Christian equivalent of the 'Westboro Baptist Church'. Before I came to TW I had considered myself 'wiccan-ish', not intitated but as good as involved. Only then was I able to see how lamentably silly and ego rising some of it was; not gone unnoticed by the genuine newagers sooking and sighing in the background. There will always be idiots but making a vast generalisation based on a very loud minority is unfair. Had I not read about the birth of Wicca (as many don't to begin with, they assume it's 'ancient' instead of based on 'ancient') and not backed the hell out, full reverse into TW, I could very well be baking bat shaped cookies for my equinoxes and enjoying it too.

Really, if it works, it works. Yes I can be an ass by secretly mocking some of them but I certainly won't be underestimating them. That would be a mistake.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#38 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

The way I see it, live and let live. They are no different to me than christian, buddist, muslim, jewish or hindu people. There are things I can agree with and things I think are fucking nuts in all those paths. I don't make a habit of going out of my way to bash another path because I don't follow it. Unless, of course, I'm speaking about specific nut jobs and a specific situation and having a good laugh. :blink: :laugh: I'm not perfect, and laughing at nutjobs is one of my flaws. :sleep: On a day to day basis, though, I'm pretty tolerant unless I'm am being recruited or this person is trying to push in to my life. I recently had a new age neighbor do this to me and I kindly told her to fuck off, that I didn't want to be friends and I didn't like her. She hit my creepy button in a big way. She kept trying though and it got to the point I had to get witchy with it. She is gone now, she convieniently moved. :) If it doesn't get that bad, and I am just talking I generally try to avoid metaphysical conversations and make small talk. The way I see it if they have nothing to teach me or I them, they will move on soon.

#39 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

In my opininon new agers can be useful, the fact that they are what people think of as Witch can provide a cloak of illusion under which Witch does his or her work in the shadows.

It worth considering that new agers are mostly Witch who sleep or perhaps have begun to dream, where Witch inside is making itself known resulting in the need to beginning to search.

Those who are meant to find the way through illusion will find it, those who want to play at it and are content with illusion may well stop right there. Witch within will either give up and go back to sleep or jump up and down enough to make them look for another way.

In my experience, some people begin with the fluff, only to find it doesnt fulfil their awakening, its these I have concern and time for, those who are content to wallow in fluff are welcome to it, they will eventually fall back asleep, in which case they will do nothing except live life as the rest of humanity do.

I dont have limits unless I set them myself to do purpose; each contact I have with others is different according to thier actions and thoughts.

:thumbsup: I agree with a lot of what you've said here.

-Oscar Wilde

#40 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hello Whiterose

I dont think laughing at "nutjobs" is a flaw, its a genuine enough occupation, some "nutjobs" ask for it.