Photo
- - - - -

Early Christians Accused of Witchcraft by the Roman Empire

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#21 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:02 AM

To explain what I meant in my own words: Here in the South I've only heard the term "Delivered" to mean "Being delivered from demons" - that is to say a form of exorcism by inviting "god" into your life. What it usually sounds like, rather, is a full on possession and not the reverse. :)

Having been raised in a church that does this (in more intense ways too) I can say that it is EXTREMELY similar to what I've seen of examples of possession in the Voudon sense. Almost exactly the same, other than the preceeding activities.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#22 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Thank you both.what a great expression .

#23 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Thank you both.what a great expression .

I am reading up on Voudon and I can totally understand the reference made to it know. Thanking you once again. S,im amazed at your knowledge! CG,(smile) love you to bits.

C

#24 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

This last part is a scary thought, yet it has happened in the past and is happening now. Those who are strictly non conforming are mentally ill and need to be "fixed". I shudder to think of the new ways science will create to control the non conforming. I saw a thing on the news last night that they have now developed microchips to help paralyzed people have control over their motor funtions. Different groups have put chips in drivers licences (NYS, I had one) so you wont need a passport, and now they are experimenting with micro technology in tatoo ink so you can "feel your phone vibrate" when you get a call . Science fiction is fast becoming reality and though its done in the guise of benefiting humanity, things always have a flip side.

Gregori, had a point why do we (witches) make some people so fearful enough they feel threatened enough to want to wipe us out and others see us as something to be mocked ?

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora

#25 Moondark

Moondark

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

Anthropologically speaking, witchcraft is almost always malevolent magic. Sorcery is what was usually supported in ancient cultures, from what I've read. I rarely see a modern practitioner call his or herself a sorcerer, sadly  :razz:

I will make sure to bring this up to my Catholic friend. She'll probably get a kick out of it. 

#26 Moondark

Moondark

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

"IT is a sin to grow two crops in the same plot! You are damning yourself to hell! Damn you and damn your crops!"

"Eat of my flesh and drink of my blood and you shall live forever"

Circumcision.

Ever see someone get "delivered"? It sounds more like they're being horsed than the reverse.

In short, the Romans did not grasp the "context", but did pretty much hit the nail on the head.

:roflhard: Bravo. 

#27 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

The vikings bound and drowned male practitioners of seidr because it broke taboo

I would be interested to know which century this started occurring in... before or after the Christianization of the lands in which the Vikings lived and/or raided? I think that may be worth looking into to understand the reasonings behind the "taboo."  Also, the vikings, if I am understanding things correctly (which is always questionable, lol lol lol) mostly followed the newer religion/gods of the Asier. Led by Odhinn. So it could easily be that anyone following the older religion/gods of the Vanir  could come under the gun. After all, there was a mythological war between the Aiser and the Vanir.  When one way of life over took another way of life. So the people of the new way of living and viewing the worlds could well have had a sore spot with the practices of those adhering to the old way of living and the old gods.

M