• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

There was a post in the sex and magic thread by Sara about Selkies that I wanted to expand on, but I didn't want to lead the thread off topic.

I am familar with the notion of the fisherman marrying the sea and it is one the reasons my grandparents separated. I come from a long line of Naval sailors, and was named after the sea. My whole name actually means "Holy maiden of the sea" The believe is so strong in our family that when my grandfather died his final request was to spread his ashes across the seven seas. Well, practicality says that can't happen so he was ok with being laid to rest at his favorite sea spots. Recently, I just visited the seaside and the pull of the ocean was very strong. I hadn't felt it like that since I was a child, (which may have had something to do with the comming supermoon). It was a very magical get away. Since, the sea is such an important part of my family, I was wondering if anyone would like to share the lore of the sea they have come across and see who works with the sea and its creatures in their workings. I know some of you have mentioned that you have worked with the sea in other threads, but would you like to expand on them here?

#2 Seed

Seed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hi Whiterose,

You may find this site interesting.

http://orkneyjar.com/folklore/sea.htm

#3 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

I don't know any family or traditional lore about the sea to share, but when I lived near it I loved being by it at night. It really changes my magic while I'm there. I was also very drawn to shells I picked up along the beach, to me they're the bones of the sea. I brought a lot back with me so I'd have some of the 'sea' here and I use them in workings a lot. The sea offers up so many treasures to a witch.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#4 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Don't know how to work with the sea to be fair, and being over 100 miles from any sea make it a bit problematic to start trying to learn !!! :P

But I am terrible for beachcombing. I rarely spend a day at the beach in an upright position ( OO-ER :P )

I'm always hunting for little treasures to bring home. An interesting shell, a pebble, I adore sea glass, bits of driftwood, seaweed to take home and dry out.

I have all of the above. The seaweed is from wales but I get a lot from Denmark when I visit my boyfriend. I have quite a few hagstones we found together, and I also found the hipbone of a cat!!!!

On my most recent visit I captured 2 bits of green sea glass, 4 nice bits of smooth wood and a really great chunk of flint ( I think ) . Coal black and slightly transluscent glassy on one side, white and chalky on the other. A real duality of a rock that encompasses both light and dark, and the thin grey line between.

I intend to eventually make some jewellery from 2 of the bits of wood and the sea glass.

#5 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Great Topic! I will think on this, there is so much I don't know where to start.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#6 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hi Whiterose,

You may find this site interesting.

http://orkneyjar.com/folklore/sea.htm

Thanks! This is was very helpful.

Don't know how to work with the sea to be fair, and being over 100 miles from any sea make it a bit problematic to start trying to learn !!! :P

But I am terrible for beachcombing. I rarely spend a day at the beach in an upright position ( OO-ER :P )

I'm always hunting for little treasures to bring home. An interesting shell, a pebble, I adore sea glass, bits of driftwood, seaweed to take home and dry out.

I have all of the above. The seaweed is from wales but I get a lot from Denmark when I visit my boyfriend. I have quite a few hagstones we found together, and I also found the hipbone of a cat!!!!

On my most recent visit I captured 2 bits of green sea glass, 4 nice bits of smooth wood and a really great chunk of flint ( I think ) . Coal black and slightly transluscent glassy on one side, white and chalky on the other. A real duality of a rock that encompasses both light and dark, and the thin grey line between.

I intend to eventually make some jewellery from 2 of the bits of wood and the sea glass.

Most of our time at the beach was spent combing for sharks teeth and shells. One of my favorite things! I have a nice little pile of goodies from the beach that I can use in my workings.

#7 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

I don't know any family or traditional lore about the sea to share, but when I lived near it I loved being by it at night. It really changes my magic while I'm there. I was also very drawn to shells I picked up along the beach, to me they're the bones of the sea. I brought a lot back with me so I'd have some of the 'sea' here and I use them in workings a lot. The sea offers up so many treasures to a witch.

I like that description, that they are the bones of the sea. The entire time we were combing the beach and I was looking at tons of shells, all I could think was, "This reminds me of a massive boneyard" There was dead jelly fish all around too. It really surprised the hell out of me when we saw a live crab and live clams.

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

To help me with my learning of the tarot, I have a seawitch-bottle (or whatever one wants to call it) which is made up of sea-water collected at high-tide at sunrise on the first full moon after the equinox. It has sand from a cross-roads at the same beach on the bottom, a bit of seaweed, a crab-claw and some shells, and some coral. The water is pink - like the sunrise. There is no food colouring in the water. It has a blue and purple cord with a bell for calling on one end and a seagull feather on the other end. The corked top is sealed with blue wax. As it is a sunrise bottle, it has a citrine on the top of the cork for the sun.... for brightness. As the bottle is a round bottle I find it is like looking into a sea-scape of the ocean itself... a complete little ocean scene. Water for me is very tied to the emotions, to disolving, to intuition, and is representative of unmanifest potential. I do not yet anywhere nearly understand water, lol. But I use this bottle when I work with diviniation, or with feeling, and I totally love it. I will probably make one from high tide during the night at some point, on a dark-moon night. I am very partial to these little "scene" bottles, lol, and have several for different uses.

M

#9 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

To help me with my learning of the tarot, I have a seawitch-bottle (or whatever one wants to call it) which is made up of sea-water collected at high-tide at sunrise on the first full moon after the equinox. It has sand from a cross-roads at the same beach on the bottom, a bit of seaweed, a crab-claw and some shells, and some coral. The water is pink - like the sunrise. There is no food colouring in the water. It has a blue and purple cord with a bell for calling on one end and a seagull feather on the other end. The corked top is sealed with blue wax. As it is a sunrise bottle, it has a citrine on the top of the cork for the sun.... for brightness. As the bottle is a round bottle I find it is like looking into a sea-scape of the ocean itself... a complete little ocean scene. Water for me is very tied to the emotions, to disolving, to intuition, and is representative of unmanifest potential. I do not yet anywhere nearly understand water, lol. But I use this bottle when I work with diviniation, or with feeling, and I totally love it. I will probably make one from high tide during the night at some point, on a dark-moon night. I am very partial to these little "scene" bottles, lol, and have several for different uses.

M

I have some similar bottles from my time on the gulf, although they don't have water since I no longer have access to sea water.

Mine have shells and bones from the beach, sand, dried seeds and leaves from salt water plants, spanish moss from an oceanside grave yard, etc. Love them!

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#10 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

M

I had given thought to making a similar bottle next time I visit, though I love the way you used the sea water too. It sounds like it came out awesome.

#11 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

Here's a start on some magic & lore surrounding the sea.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#12 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

Love the Link, M.Witch ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#13 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

Here's a start on some magic & lore surrounding the sea.

Thankyou MW, I enjoyed that.

#14 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Even though I haven't been around an ocean for sometime, I find myself drawn to the beaches here at the lake. Herbs and the lake have really been the focal point of my craft lately. I am going to miss it when I leave. 

#15 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

The Ocean is always a good friend of mine. I am currently living quite a distance from the Ocean right now. I do miss my Mums house with the beach literally out the back door and the Swamp right up the road. I was also very fortunate to have spent many years living on the Persian Gulf. The most beautiful beaches and Water I have ever seen hands down. Where we live in Massachusetts is called the heart of our state. We are rather dead center in the state. I am extremely lucky to have a wonderful cottage on Webster lake however. I love the lake and the unique power it seems to hold. There is nothing better than packing davenport and myself up and heading to the lake for the weekend. I am already pining for the Summer months to return. I usually move in around the end of May and I don't leave until September. If it wasn't for the fact that the roads leading to the house are private and therefore not cared for at all in the winter, As well as the chill from being so close to the water I would never leave.

#16 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Powerful stuff the Ocean and hard to control as is has some "big" G(g)ods and formidable inhabitants. Most of my experience is in the Atlantic- (south Florida as a child knew then it wouldn't last forever- magical though)- the Pacific has an altogether different energy- much colder too:) seawater though can be quite helpful in spellwork and I agree; shells have a vibration too- it's all so alive though- I guess that's the punch.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#17 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

I live about an hour from the shore and I couldn't imagine not living within driving distance, at least, from an ocean. All my childhood summer memories include a vacation at the shore. I love it. I try to make at least a couple day trips to the shore every summer but occasionally we still have at least 10 people pitch in to rent a house for a couple weeks. It's great :)

I have a pretty good collection of shells, one tiny little shark tooth, and this really prefect rock I found. It's the most prefect skipping rock I've ever seen. I also have some driftwood and some other really cool rocks I found from a beach off a huge lake in Montana from a vacation a few years ago. I had never seen drift wood before that, never am able to find any at the Jersey shore. I actually shipped the driftwood and rocks back with some other stuff I bought lol. Oh, and I have really bad luck finding sea glass too for some reason.

Going onto the beach at night is magical, especially with a full moon. It looks so close to the ocean sometimes, almost likes its coming out of the ocean and it can be absolutely huge. Very beautiful.

I love the idea of a "sea witch bottle".

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:23 AM

It is odd because I totally can't be a beach person - I am very light blonde (except when I used to dye my hair red, lol) and very fair of skin so I burn in about 7.2 seconds. But when I started working with some drift-woods I totally related to them on an almost deeper level than I did with "land woods." The ocean first told me something about working with the land and the ancestors, and living in a place so far removed from the origins of my craft. And what it said has been very helpful to me. So yes, being a part of the sea is becoming a part of my practice.... I just have to keep my visits confined to overcast, rainy days, lol.

M

#19 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

Felt this thread deserved a little bumpity-bump thanks to summer being upon us and sandy beaches being a popular destination this time of year.

#20 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

Bumping this because the sea is in my blood. The shore is one of those places where the veil is very thin for me.