Sign in to follow this  
Lynn

Most embarrassing book purchase

Isn't big blue Raymond Buckland? Hated that. Really like the Judika illes book though. May not appeal to the very experienced but I enjoy it for concepts and ideas and it's just kind of a cool book. She takes from a wide variety of traditions which is nice.

I think Buckland's big blue book is an amazing primer in practical magic - if one can separate the dogma from the Craft.

THAT is probably a fair statement . I would agree the dogma is probably what I found off putting.

Isn't big blue Raymond Buckland? Hated that. Really like the Judika illes book though. May not appeal to the very experienced but I enjoy it for concepts and ideas and it's just kind of a cool book. She takes from a wide variety of traditions which is nice.

Yes, it IS Buckland's... had to go look again. My mistake.

Edited by Nikki

Nikki, Actually Judika's book is a good jumping-off point. I've never used any of her spells but they do spark ideas...

Good to know.... it's still in the delivery box, collecting dust. I do think I 'jumped' a long time ago.... and bumped my head....lol.

5000 spell encyclopedia by Judika Illes is my guilty pleasure, I hate to say it but I love that book. It was my first book about spell-casting and the wear is really starting to show, my copy has been lovingly taped along the binding because it split, it has a million bookmarks and flags and it has little bits wax and ink on the fore-edge. I am aware the book comes off as a novelty and judika seems obsessed with Orishas. LOL my computer thinks Orishas should be spelled Hashish.

I actually like that book! It was given to me as a gift. I would have never bought it for myself, but I love the bits of folk magic and folk lore from around the world. It's always lead me to additional research that is fascinating. I also enjoy the recipes in the back of the book.

It's an overall well written and cited book of reference.

So don't feel embarrassed!

I don't really have any embarrassing books in my collection. I usually read a book online, in a bookstore, borrow it from a friend, or I take it out from the library before I commit to buying it.

I don't have 5000 Spell Encyclopedia (yet, haha!), but I happened to catch an interview with Judika on an older podcast today and I thought she seemed like a pretty level-headed witch. Hearing how she put the book together was interesting (she collected spells on notecards for years and ended up losing the box at one point while transferring them to manuscript) and she talked a lot about how what the publishers want out of a witch book and what the witches want to actually put out there are so very different that it's hard to get anything published that is really useful. She said if she was really to write the comprehensive book on the craft that she wanted to, no one would know how to market it, or even what section of the bookstores to sell it in.

I'll probably pick up the book at some point, but as a writer, I found that pretty interesting. Publishers (especially in the metaphysical genre) aren't always looking for the author that has the best info or most wisdom, but the one that is going to say what they are wanting to say and can sell. Kinda explains a lot about the lack of good witchcraft books out there.

I like the Illes book, it is fun poke around in - or just let the book open to an area and delve in there.

The dumbest book in my collection (IMO of course) is the Grimassi one about familiars- sheesh!

So glad to know I am not the only one.

I acquired, though I don't remember how, "Earth, Air, Fire & Water" by Scott Cunningham. When I first got this book I was excited to have it because I thought it would add to Francis Barrett's take on natural magic and I was looking for some easier spellcraft other than full on rituals. It did not take long for me to get really put off by this book. I tried passing it off on one of my friends who was into SRW and Buckland. Even he wouldnt take it because basically it was rubbish. Even after all this time I remember how embarrassed I felt reading that book. It was like getting an uncomfortably intimate hug from your hippy dippy uncle that likes to wear yoga pants and go shirtless. For a sampling head over to Amazon and read the first chapter- This is Magic. Yeesh! :sickwitch:

So glad to know I am not the only one.

I acquired, though I don't remember how, "Earth, Air, Fire & Water" by Scott Cunningham.......Even after all this time I remember how embarrassed I felt reading that book. It was like getting an uncomfortably intimate hug from your hippy dippy uncle that likes to wear yoga pants and go shirtless.

Lmao!!! Pass the mind bleach- I can get rid of the image!!!

The most embarrassing book purchase I've ever made was Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the new generation by Silver RavenWolf. I'd thought due to its rather large size that at least some of the information in it could be useful and insightful.

Some of it was interesting, maybe not completely useful. Back to it's size though, it's a difficult book to keep hidden and when friends would come round there eyes would instantly settle on that one in my bookshelf. I guess it's more of an embarrassing book if any traditional witches are around, as maybe Wiccans enjoy her work? I don't know :rabbit:

Most embarrassing? My very first "witchy" book purchase, almost 20 years ago at the ripe old age of 11 years old... a book called "How to Turn Your Ex-Boyfriend into a Toad and Other Spells". Haha. And then when I was around 12 I bought Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cuningham. *shudders*

The 5000 spells books is pretty good for inspiration. Probably about half of the spells I made myself started by leafing through this book. Also makes for a decent halloween prop.

@aria Thats very interesting, I can see all of your points. I happen to have literally zero knowledge of his public antics other than simply knowing that there has been SOMETHING that happened that pissed off a lot of people.

I'm reading Letters from the Devil's Forest right now, and now I really want to know what that SOMETHING was. (Or many SOMETHINGS, if the amount of ego in this book is anything to go by...)

I love the 5000 books and Scott Cunningham books. They make me think of my teen years. Hmm most embarrassing would probably be some happy voodoo book that came with a little smiley doll lol.

Wait... Is their really a happy voodoo book that comes with a smiley doll? That sounds awesome :)

I had the 5000 Spells book. I never did a spell from it but I think it was a symbolic thing, to own the book. For me, owning the book meant

that I had 5000 spells...

That book itself was a spell.

• Upvote 2

I wish I could remember what it was called lol. My friend and I thought we were so cool buying it!

@Kalinia - it sounds like something I would buy because it would make me smile. Plus, it would cause my daughter to go "WTF??" - they are always messing with me about buying "creepy dolls". Things like a skull- no problem... I bring another doll or clown into the house and it's on.:)

I did a Google search and can't find it :( it really was cute though! Ahahahahahahhahahah dolls are very creepy sometimes! My daughter has a few porcelain ones... Ugh!

"The Official Bewitched Cookbook-or Magic in the Kitchen" by Kasey Rogers. It even had the show's logo of Samantha on her broom. I don't even like to cook, so this definitely falls under what-was-I-thinking. I gave it to a friend who is the type to cook egg noodles two hours in a crock pot. True. I was there when she did it.

I loved that show when I was little. It was the first show I remember watching. 

I would buy that if the recipes were any good. 

For a period of time I had to cook everything in the crock pot..It was related to some kind of spell.  You can adapt most anything to work in a crockpot. 

Hands down, THE WORST magically-themed book I have ever bought is Fairies 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Working, and Healing With the Fairies and Other Elementals by Doreen Virtue.

I was VERY new to witchcraft, but even while reading it, I knew I had made a less than reputable purchase. I was embarrassed to even read it in the privacy of my own bedroom. It's that bad. Currently, it's sitting somewhere in there collecting dust.

*shudder* I can laugh at it in hindsight, but the shame lingers.

Sign in to follow this