Sign in to follow this  
Lynn

Most embarrassing book purchase

OK, I'm thinking this'll top everyone's most embarrassing book purchase: The Idiot's Guide to Psychic Awareness. Yup. ... It's still on the shelf only because I must have been a librarian over several previous lifetimes; I cannot bring myself to toss it.

Hi, been having a clear out and found a book I bought years ago, worthy of resurrecting this thread for

Fiona Horne - Witch, a magickal journey, a hip guide to modern witchcraft

Oh dear

• Upvote 1

Solitary Witch by Silver Ravenwolf. Actually, anything by Silver Ravenwolf.

That, and Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cuningham.

I'd rather not remember buying those. I put them in the donation bin at my university. Maybe someone will find some value in that crap. I was still there last time I checked though, and it seems I can't even give that crap away.

Takes in deep breath.... Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft and Idiots Guide to Spells and Spellcraft.

They were at a local used book store and this was about 10yrs before I met my mentor. I "knew" there was something to witchcraft and that deep down inside I was always a witch, but I didn't have anyone 15yrs ago to guide me and all I kept seeing were books on Wicca (which I knew was a religion and I didn't want that), so when I saw those both for $5 I grabbed them. :wiccanpie:

I feel very fortunate to have found a mentor!

• Upvote 1

Lol I was browsing eBay to see if I could bag any bargains and everyone of our books from the last 3 posts were going super cheap! Needless to say I passed the opportunity

Fiona Horne - Witch, a magickal journey, a hip guide to modern witchcraft

Oh my I remember that book as well. Didn't buy it though :P

Lol just as well you didn't, it was the biggest load of poppycock ever! It was recommended to me my a (then) friend who swore that the best book ever was a Raymond buckland book I believe it was!

Nowadays I stick to my trees and herbs books mostly

Ooooh here's a good (bad) one: A Wiccan Guide to Meditation by Raven Starwind (where do they get these names?!?)

I'd rather not think about the me that bought that book. It was a much stupider me.

Ooooh here's a good (bad) one: A Wiccan Guide to Meditation by Raven Starwind (where do they get these names?!?)I'd rather not think about the me that bought that book. It was a much stupider me.

Lol I know, it's like you have to have a super mystical name to prove you're all witch

Here's one that a friend of my owned: Wicca Spellcraft For Men by Aj Drew Wicca. I'm sure it turned a lot of potential pagans way from the craft.

Solitary Witch by $RW -- though, this one was a gift from a friend-- it had been her first book (though luckily not the actual copy, considering what its eventual fate was)

Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham

Ellen Dugan, DJ Conway, yes, I had a lot of those.

The worst bit is that after I threw them out (I donated them) they all showed up at the local library--not the actual ones I'd tossed, brand new copies! There's a Wiccan working there who seems to be extremely suspectible to this. It's happened more than once for me to write it off as a coincidence. I've been trying to get him or her to order something like Paul Huson, but no such luck -- probably because I can't bear to donate my copy!

Let's see, I had the big blue Buckland book (I can't recall the title) which I hated and so gifted to someone else. There was also a SRW which I also regifted.

I still have some Cunningham books, they were my first books so I keep them out of sentimentality and they're part of what lead me to where I am now.

The big blue buckland book, that's what my Wicca friend had. Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft

Enchantment: The Witches' Art of Manipulation by Gesture, Gaze and Glamour by Peter Paddon.

This particular book is quite disappointing, it is a easy read though. My personal opinion is the technique he related in his book is more of energy manipulation and control similar to developing certain psychic abilities that lack of Magick in it's essence. Information he presented are just a compilation of old techniques of energy Manipulation and Trancework in his own words, this book will not work for the novice without any Power or Ability. The only selling point of this book is the lack of Reputable Book or Knowledge in this area of Enchantment and Glamoury nevertheless it is still an easy read.

Edited by OCEANOS

Enchantment: The Witches' Art of Manipulation by Gesture, Gaze and Glamour by Peter Paddon.

I was looking over this book last night. The only thing I find embarassing about this book are the images... :sweat:

I was looking over this book last night. The only thing I find embarassing about this book are the images... :sweat:

I reviewed this book in the section in the forum.

The images are aweful... and the techniques presented.. thumbs down, for me.

German regret: Sandra - Meine Weg, meine Rituale. Basically German version of $RW from what I understand. I was young and lived in a very remote area XD

Ok, I did the Silver Ravenwolf thing. Those are pretty shameful, but when your very first seeking and those are on every new age shelf out there- It happens. I have Uncle Bucks big blue book too. Im like pathological about books so I have a hard time getting rid of them even if they are begging for matches. Now, I saw Peter Paddon on here, the book I have of his was called something like "A Grimoire for Modern Cunningfolk" and damn it, I thought - still think- thats a pretty darn good intro book. And I miss his podcast. I hope Peter is among the "mighty dead" as he called them, if there is such a thing. I respect him, can't say anything else. Also, I have to say I think Cunningham's stuff is not trash. Yep its Wiccan as hell, but there is some good stuff in there, at least his herb book. My opinion anyway.

OK, I say this with actual fear and trembling, because I think this fellow caused some serious shit on line at one time, but what does everyone think of Robin Artisson? Actually let me rephrase- what does everyone think of his BOOKS. I have letters from the devils forest, the bits and pieces I have read I really enjoyed, but then I apparently have a more tolerant range of acceptance. It may help to understand that I have literally hundreds of occult related books, folklore, herb books etc. So, you know, its an addiction, what can I say. I can find some useful information or thought provoking perspective in just about anything I guess.

• Upvote 1

OK, I say this with actual fear and trembling, because I think this fellow caused some serious shit on line at one time, but what does everyone think of Robin Artisson? Actually let me rephrase- what does everyone think of his BOOKS. I have letters from the devils forest, the bits and pieces I have read I really enjoyed, but then I apparently have a more tolerant range of acceptance.

I've read Letters from the Devil's Forest and The Horn of Everwood.

I really enjoyed both, and I am in agreement with many of the things he says. Said that, while the Horn was an enjoyable read for me, the Letters was a pain to finish. On one hand, it is refreshing to see a known witch and occultist deal with themes of deep ecology, society and putting sorcery 'in context', if you pass me the term. On the other hand, he seems like he's on this personal crusade to dismiss whatever system of witchcraft which is not his. Also, I couldn't help by feeling that the whole book could have been condensed to a hundred pages, and that much of the writing goes to incense himself, his practice, and his 'true sorcery'.

But I've made peace with the fact that 'public' witches often come with huge egos, and I try to separate that from their writing (which in Artissons' case can be quite difficult).

@aria Thats very interesting, I can see all of your points. I happen to have literally zero knowledge of his public antics other than simply knowing that there has been SOMETHING that happened that pissed off a lot of people.

I've got SRW books and a couple DJ Conway books. I got really disgusted with DJ Conway. DJ said in one chapter "No one is allowed in ___ area in astral travel" and then a page later "Here is what ___ is like." How do you know if we're not allowed there?! I don't know much about astral travel but I know when things are a little fishy.

5000 spell encyclopedia by Judika Illes is my guilty pleasure, I hate to say it but I love that book. It was my first book about spell-casting and the wear is really starting to show, my copy has been lovingly taped along the binding because it split, it has a million bookmarks and flags and it has little bits wax and ink on the fore-edge. I am aware the book comes off as a novelty and judika seems obsessed with Orishas. LOL my computer thinks Orishas should be spelled Hashish.

Lol! My maiden name was Harris and spellchecker insists I should've been Haggis!

I have to also admit that I have a soft spot for Judika. I was reading her encyclopaedia of witchcraft and found her to be fun and accessible.

Edited by Natty

OMG.... recently, The Universe, and all its unmatched hilarity, saw it fit to send me BOTH the big blue book (Cunningham's Complete Guide) AND J. Illes 5,000 Spells.

So, I accept and humbly commence with my public Walk of Shame.

( Btw, lots of people love Judika's book, so I'm withholding judgement)

Edited by Nikki

Sign in to follow this