122 replies to this topic

#121 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

I'm not saying you won't get results from the books.
I'm sure you would get results from those books. Just like you could most likely get results from any of the other books discussed in this thread. It doesn't make any or all of the books any less or more embarrassing.

Well, you and I will just have to agree to disagree on the opinion of (at least some of) the CS books, I guess. I am not the least bit embarrassed by having this book. I think I understand where you are coming from though. Magic comes from inside of us, not books, and books are for knowledge seeking. Therefore, we can get results from any book we decide to use (if we decide to use books at all!). I agree with that to a point. I don't agree that all books are necessarily equal when it comes to "getting results" though. I also don't agree with the idea that "less or more embarrassing" is solely in the eye of the beholder. Some books truly suck. In addition to that, for the amount of time and energy those CS people must have put into their books....I just don't think you can compare it to something a Llewellyn author churned out in order to meet a deadline and cater to the masses at your local Barnes and Noble for $14.95. Not that there is anything wrong with some of those books-I have a few! But, I know there is a difference in quality.

At the end of the day, that's just my opinion though, right? Have a good day, dude.

Edited by Anara, 26 December 2016 - 02:30 PM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#122 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:12 PM

You shouldn't be embarrassed for having the books. No one should be embarrassed of any of their books. I just don't find value in the CS tradition. I can not speak to the Dragon book of Essex as I stopped reading Chumbley and other CS author's years ago. I have worked with the Azoetia, Qutub, and another one ( I don't remember its name now). And there is interesting information there, but I have just found it to be regurgitated information amongst other "traditional witchcraft" authors. And nothing against any of the authors or thier practice, but its more of a personal annoyance than anything. These claims of supposed "ancient traiditional" methods are nothing but neo-witchcraft attempts at pasturbation of what they want witchcraft to have been, but also want to make it a super wordy and pretentious elitism in the world of witchcraft. 

What I am saying, (and not trying to be personally offensive to people who follow or practice CS, or other traditions within the neo-traditional witchcraft boom that is current going on), is that these forms of modern witchcraft only have validity to the practitioner if that is what the practitioner seeks. One form of practice is no more valid or "less-embarrassing" than another. Yes, most everyone on this site gets eye-rollingly irritated with the "fluffy-bunny" "white lighter" New-ager type of witches, but I can say I have known a few of those types who could work magic 100 times more effectively than most of the "traditional" witches I have met and know. 

so yes-let's agree to disagree, I suppose; though that statement in and of itself is rather irritatingly dismissive. As what the person saying it really means is "I'm right, but I just don't feel like discussing this topic with you anymore since you clearly won't "get-it" "

And I am also very contrary currently, and I am not trying to piss a lot of people off. So I will stop now. Because, honestly, Anara you have always posted interesting and informative posts and I wish to continue reading them and having a dialogue with you. 

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#123 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:15 PM

For the record, when I say "Let's agree to disagree", it means just that. It means we are just not going to see eye to eye on something, which is fine and, so, why bother? I'll talk about the book and my experiences with the book, if you cared to discuss it. I work with this book entirely by myself and have literally nobody to talk to about it, other than my husband who gets tired of hearing about it...lol.I talk the poor man's ear off and he's soooo patient. I'd love to talk to other witches about these books, but it seems like nobody wants to, or nobody is working with them, so I keep it to myself.

"And there is interesting information there, but I have just found it to be regurgitated information amongst other "traditional witchcraft" authors. And nothing against any of the authors or thier practice, but its more of a personal annoyance than anything. These claims of supposed "ancient traiditional" methods are nothing but neo-witchcraft attempts at pasturbation of what they want witchcraft to have been, but also want to make it a super wordy and pretentious elitism in the world of witchcraft."

^^^ Regarding your thoughts here, I don't know that I agree and I've seen that type of thinking before on the internet regarding these books. I don't know why wordy= pretentious, necessarily. I live in a house where I have a husband who has a 155 verbal IQ and who uses big words daily...and not because he is pretentious...it is "his normal". Now, I have to look up a lot of these words because my verbal IQ most certainly isn't in the genius range, but it doesn't bother me (I'm kinda used to it anyway). I don't see anything wrong with broadening my vocabulary. I don't see it as elitist. I see it as just kinda...nerdy. LOL!! I also write poetry...so the flowery language I see as an art form and is actually well crafted IMO.

The cost of the books are high and some feel it is pretentious. However, I have paid more for college textbooks that I've used for a single semester! I think the books are worth the cost. Not the super inflated Ebay prices you see out there, mind you, but the publisher's costs are reasonable...considering. Also, as a side note...I have seen recently they are beginning to offer paperback copies of some of their books on amazon for much lower prices. That tells me they are trying to reach a wider audience.

Regarding the regurgitation of material; I can't honestly speak to much of that at this point. There may be truth to that and I'd love to hear about your reasoning behind that, if you are willing to discuss. However, know that this wasn't why I got this book in the first place. I had some very strange other worldly, soul changing, experiences with the book....some of which happened before I even got the book. Its the spirit of the book that ultimately impresses me, not the book itself, at the end of the day. Which is why I stubbornly say that a PDF download of the book is not where its at. Buy the book if you want to work the book. Its the right thing to do, plus there are other reasons that I'd prefer to keep to myself. In my experience, you won't regret it. The Dragon Book is a book of sacrifices...IMO the first sacrifice being one of monetary value. Also, I would not consider the spirit of the book to be neo-pagan at all. :)

Regarding being contrary....well, I don't personally see anything wrong with being a little contrary because at least you are thinking for yourself and are questioning things that may need to be questioned. I'm not mad at ya. You are just as entitled to your opinions as I am. So that is that.

Edited by Anara, 27 December 2016 - 12:17 PM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci