• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#101 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

I actually just brought up that book in another thread! The artwork is stunning though, no?

#102 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:03 AM

I knew the book was bad after I read a spell that required pipe cleaners and construction paper

:rofl: I'm so glad I found this thread so I can avoid all of this tripe!

Seven days to a magickal new you - by Fiona Horne.

Even when I was in my more "fluffy" days I was still disgusted by this book and tossed it out. lol

Are you sure that title isn't one by Gilderoy Lockhart??  :lol:

I've always been a fan of the library (and I'm lucky in that ours is a statewide library system in which you can request any book from any library for free) so I don't purchase any books unless I know I'm going to read them multiple times...

I never went through any Wicca phase because I didn't even know anything about it at all until my mid-30s and by that age I could easily spot made-up B.S.

( <very Dr Evil voice> 10 MILLION "Wiccans!" (See my Introduction post for my opinion on made-up religions retroactively claiming historical relevance)).

Anyway, while I can't claim an embarrassing book *purchase* I can say the most embarrassing book I checked out of the library (because sadly, they're almost all Wicca, regardless of the damn titles) was the big blue Raymond Buckland "Complete Book of Witchcraft" ...I didn't even get to chapter one though. I read the foreward/intro and About the Author (and also realized this dude made the Buckland Romani Tarot deck and was claiming "gypsy" heritage as more proof of his legitimacy (the term "gypsy" is a racial slur to most Roma/Romani people - just as bad to them as the n-word is to black people - and I don't know any one of them that sees that deck as a good thing for their cultures, just more stereotypical mish-mashing of many different Rom peoples and traditions from around the world as if they're all interchangeable)) and I couldn't stomach anymore. Why do so many of these authors have such HUGE egos?? :blink:

#103 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

Somewhere in a large rubbermaid tub in my parent's attic you'll find both To Ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf and Celtic Myth and Magick by Edain McCoy... :down:

I had both of these. I can't even say I'm embarrassed though. The only books I'm really embarrassed that I read were the Twilight books. (It was a rough summer, ok? I was living at my mom's and I needed something - anything - to distract me from the badness of my life, and the badness of those books did the trick.) All the wicca books I bought and read were just layers of information. I kept what worked for me and let go of the rest so I could search for more. 

#104 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:30 AM

:rofl: I'm so glad I found this thread so I can avoid all of this tripe!

Are you sure that title isn't one by Gilderoy Lockhart??  :lol:

I've always been a fan of the library (and I'm lucky in that ours is a statewide library system in which you can request any book from any library for free) so I don't purchase any books unless I know I'm going to read them multiple times...

I never went through any Wicca phase because I didn't even know anything about it at all until my mid-30s and by that age I could easily spot made-up B.S.

( <very Dr Evil voice> 10 MILLION "Wiccans!" (See my Introduction post for my opinion on made-up religions retroactively claiming historical relevance)).

Anyway, while I can't claim an embarrassing book *purchase* I can say the most embarrassing book I checked out of the library (because sadly, they're almost all Wicca, regardless of the damn titles) was the big blue Raymond Buckland "Complete Book of Witchcraft" ...I didn't even get to chapter one though. I read the foreward/intro and About the Author (and also realized this dude made the Buckland Romani Tarot deck and was claiming "gypsy" heritage as more proof of his legitimacy (the term "gypsy" is a racial slur to most Roma/Romani people - just as bad to them as the n-word is to black people - and I don't know any one of them that sees that deck as a good thing for their cultures, just more stereotypical mish-mashing of many different Rom peoples and traditions from around the world as if they're all interchangeable)) and I couldn't stomach anymore. Why do so many of these authors have such HUGE egos?? :blink:

I think because in Wicca (not to slam Wicca... Eh...) you have people that feel that they are "high priests" or "high priestesses" of whatever little "coven" they belong to, and then you have their little fans clamouring amongst them... Kind of like Gilderoy Lockhart! :D

#105 Vixea

Vixea

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:44 AM

I actually just brought up that book in another thread! The artwork is stunning though, no?

Yes, it is certainly aesthetically beautiful. It makes a wonderful picture book, but not much else, I'm afraid.

#106 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

I do agree there! I truly love her positive outlook and what she says sounds so beautiful and nice, but it reads like a fantasy more than anything else.

#107 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

How to be a Wicked Witch by Patricia Telesco

Ok, I purchased this book mainly for entertainment value and for the fact that it was one cent from Amazon. I was not expecting to learn much but I did think that a self-proclaimed "folk magician" and author of over fifty metaphysical books might have something to offer. There were a few useful, though unoriginal ideas. It was heavily influenced by Wicca. But there was a section that recommended that if you're angry with someone you could just visualize bad things happening to them instead of using magic against them. No harm in that and no three fold law to deal with either! If I sat around visualizing bad things happening to someone and funeling my anger into that vision, bad things WOULD start happening to that person. I realized that Miss Patricia probably had no idea what she was talking about but was just cranking out books to make money. It really made me sad. Then I thought, well what was I expecting?????? It was dumb.

#108 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

LoL, there are occasionally books that you just have to get rid of, and not even give away, as they are pure trash.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#109 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:32 PM

I sell my bad ones to the local wiccans  :naughty:

#110 blackpanther

blackpanther

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:34 AM

This is great fun reading through these....I have owned a fair few of these books...and. I still have them in a box somewhere, I find it hard to get rid of books!!
I have a fair few Wicca handbooks...all pretty much identical nonsense, I'm debating giving them to my teenage sis but don't want to poison her mind...haha although she would enjoy them as I did when I was 12.
5000 spells has a place on my book shelf just for fun and to scare people when they visit...😉
Got to say Fiona Horne by far the worst.....
I still have a copy of Kate west the real witches kitchen in my cupboard....it's a lovely orange colour and looks cool next to the pumpkins at Halloween!!

#111 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:01 AM

LoL, there are occasionally books that you just have to get rid of, and not even give away, as they are pure trash.

I should think they'd make excellent cauldron kindling, no? :cauldron:
Waste not, want not! :laugh:

Edited by IslandBruja, 14 December 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#112 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

Thankfully I never bought too many books early on, but I have to admit that I also purchased one or two of S Cunninghams books. I can't say that I am embarrassed that I bought them as I did take a quite a few ideas from them. Although he was dedicated to the religious aspect of wicca and that is not my cup of tea at all, I like to take the positives from it and say it is good as a practitioner of the craft to gain knowledge of all branches of witchcraft including wicca, even if you don't agree with it.

Certainly some of the original practitioners of wicca also had many traditional practices before the wicca explosion so I wouldn't discount some of their books either. I think I put up my current "books to read" in another thread.

I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.

#113 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

I sell my bad ones to the local wiccans  :naughty:

I should think they'd make excellent cauldron kindling, no? :cauldron:
Waste not, want not! :lol:

Yeah, Lol. I definitely think my Wicked Witch book is going to start a nice fire soon. I wouldn't wish it on anyone else, especially as I frequently glare at it and tell it how lame it is. It's probably collected some pretty nasty vibes by now. :lol: 

#114 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

This is great fun reading through these....I have owned a fair few of these books...and. I still have them in a box somewhere, I find it hard to get rid of books!!
I have a fair few Wicca handbooks...all pretty much identical nonsense, I'm debating giving them to my teenage sis but don't want to poison her mind...haha although she would enjoy them as I did when I was 12.
5000 spells has a place on my book shelf just for fun and to scare people when they visit...
Got to say Fiona Horne by far the worst.....
I still have a copy of Kate west the real witches kitchen in my cupboard....it's a lovely orange colour and looks cool next to the pumpkins at Halloween!!

Funny, I was actually thinking Patricia Telesco was writing for twelve-year-olds as I was reading that book.

#115 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:53 AM

Hey man, hop off, judika isles 5000 spells is decent for inspiration and ideas:).

I have to say Mrs Ravenwolf will forever hold my "most worthy of being kindling" award...

"To ride a silver broom stick" literally actually put me off witchcraft for a while. I was young. It was pre-internet. And per the B Dalton selection- I thought THAT was all there was to read on the matter. It's a tale of whoa, I tell you!

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#116 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:29 PM

I had the poor judgement to check out a book called "Witches" by Hans Holzer. I've read his book on ghosts, so I thought I knew what I was getting into... It was all information from Wiccans he'd interviewed that claimed Wicca to be the olde religion that was witchcraft, and it said that all witches follow those rules and blah blah blah blah blah. I returned it my next library shift!

#117 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

Book of Shadows - Patricia Telesco (Llewellyn)

#118 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:02 AM

I've gotten to tHe point that I find my purchases from Xoanan, three hands press, etc to be embarrassing.
All of them are just someone else's idea of what witchcraft is. It's all just personal gnosis and personal ritual. Instead of putting forth works that imply they have a "traditional" way of practice they need to admit they have just created a new neo-witchcraft and stop pretending they are offering anything old. It's all rather embarrassing.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#119 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

I've gotten to tHe point that I find my purchases from Xoanan, three hands press, etc to be embarrassing.
All of them are just someone else's idea of what witchcraft is. It's all just personal gnosis and personal ritual. Instead of putting forth works that imply they have a "traditional" way of practice they need to admit they have just created a new neo-witchcraft and stop pretending they are offering anything old. It's all rather embarrassing.

I don't know, RF. I've gotten some pretty interesting results from some of these books. So, I'd be a liar to sit here and say there is "nothing" to those books and so I'm not going to do that. The Dragon Book of Essex has personally done a lot for me as I've said before in forums, so I couldn't agree that it's all rather embarrassing. It has value to me, helping me get to my own personal gnosis and work through some things. So much so that I decided I am sticking with it through a third year. I hope in this third year I continue to learn. I certainly wouldn't have put this much effort into something that's crap.

Having said all of that, the books aren't for everybody and neither is that particular path. To me, it would all be rather boring anyway if we were all doing the same old thing anyway. So, maybe you are just into other stuff and being called to another path. You can get the same personal gnosis in a variety of ways, from a variety of paths. I don't think any path is less or more valid than another. JMO.

Regarding the "traditional aspect" and how new or old the material presented is...I have my thoughts about that, but I'm keeping most of it to myself for now. I will say that I think there might be some very old material in The Dragon Book reworked in a new way. There is a bit of tantra in the book, for sure, which runs parallel to some other things I'm doing separate from the book, and so it fits in nicely with what I'm personally doing. YMMV.

Regarding embarrassing books...I don't think I have any embarrassing books right now. I'll think on it and get back to this later, maybe.

Edited by Anara, 24 December 2016 - 01:24 PM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#120 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

I'm not saying you won't get results from the books.
I'm sure you would get results from those books. Just like you could most likely get results from any of the other books discussed in this thread. It doesn't make any or all of the books any less or more embarrassing.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery