• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Seven days to a magickal new you - by Fiona Horne.

Even when I was in my more "fluffy" days I was still disgusted by this book and tossed it out. lol

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#42 Grumble

Grumble

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

"To Ride A Silver Broomstick" by Silver Raven Wolf. It was among some of the first books I bought on Wicca when I was in highschool. I honestly can't remember anything from it, though I know I read it. It still sits on my bookshelf, and I've had many people point and chuckle at it. I've held onto a lot of my first books for nostalgia reasons. I may eventually get rid of it, but I think I may need to reread it first. I do know that after reading it as a teen, I stayed away from SRW books. XD

#43 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

So the most embarassing book I have bought is now making sure one side of my kids dresser stays even lol. It's some weird ceremonial witch craft book that's complete bunk I'm not even sure who wrote it but if you followed the instructions you would end up dead eat lead really? I bought it in my early twentys because my family never used any cool witchs books lol. I would get books like the complete guide to edible plants or rocks and minerals. Being young I thought that there had too be something great in these books lol boy after page 10 about using mercury as some weird type of elixir for invisibility I was done. I have never read a silver raven wolfbook I have heard they are pretty fluffy though. What is up with that name by the way lol we have lots of native American names here like weasel head and man killer but hers is very cutsy no one I know would ever name a child like that they would be ridiculed.

Edited by Athena, 26 June 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#44 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

That's funny because the reason I never bought any SRW books was because I couldn't take her name seriously. It's truly wrong, name's a name, but it didn't feel real. I'm glad my gut was right. However, where was it when...

When I went to go get my grandmother's books, notes, scraps and things she used to show me as a kid, after she died, I found nothing but every Danielle Steele novel ever written. It's almost like it had been cleared out. Hmmm. No doubt burned or binned and out with the morning trash. Anyway, I didn't know how to learn anymore. Eventually I went online to find out what we were, what I was! I have nobody to ask!... and of course got the wiccan treatment. I was ignorant and just desperate and had this longing to connect. Needless to say, I bought many. Witchcraft From the Inside and Buckland's Complete Guide to Witchcraft, by Raymond Buckland, Living Wicca, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, Cunningham's Guide to Wicca in the Kitchen, Incense, Oils and Brews (I like the recipes in this one, though) by Scott Cunningham as well as several other less popular and less expensive books that Amazon threw at me. Random crap. I read them all. XP That includes all the more obscure, non-wicca sounding books that turned out to be just more wicca in disguise.

I guess we all have our lessons that lead us to our path.

Edited by Apryl, 27 July 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#45 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner - Scott Cunningham........................... One of the first books I bought. But I guess I really wasn't meant to have the book, it got lost after a month of so. Never really missed it. I guess I could pretty much put any book on wicca I have here, I always blush and get embarrassed when someone finds one of mine and asks about it.. I think I have Kate Wests - Real Witche's Handbook too, but looking back I have no idea why she called it that. The whole book is about wicca.. I think the Finnish title actually translates to "The Wiccan Handbook" instead of a witches.

This was one of the first books I purchased too, among many that I cant remember now because I threw them all away except for his Magickal Herbs book. I gave this one to my cousin after she admitted having an interest in Wicca. Good riddance.

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#46 Akashiel

Akashiel

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Dancing with dragons by D.J conway... I think Harry potter has more truth to it than this when it comes to dragons.

#47 Havilland

Havilland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Dancing with dragons by D.J conway... I think Harry potter has more truth to it than this when it comes to dragons.

I was just about to add this book in...and BAM there it is. It was used so I didn't spend much on it, but I kind of feel like I cheated myself out of a latte or something.

#48 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

I have had so many books come and go over the years, I barely remember the really embarrassing ones.  I think I had a copy if Al Manning's "Helping Yourself With White Witchcraft", but honestly, I picked it up for the cheese factor.  I have another really awesomely silly mass-market 60's paperback called something like "Diary of A Happy Witch" (NOT the Sybil Leek book, although I've had copies of that come and go over the years, too.)  But I have to admit, frequently I buy books intentionally because I know they are "bad" or cheesy, and I have a kind of strange appreciation for them.  Kind of like occult literary art brut. Not the same thing as an embarrassing purchase.  I'm sure I have others that are just as awful, but right now all my books are in a box in a storage unit waiting to move, and I have so many I don't even know what's there.  I'd just know if something went missing!

I did have a copy of Dancing With Dragons.  Ugh, I think I got rid of it just a few days after buying it.  I couldn't even keep it as New-Agey kitsch. Bleah!

That being said, I had and still have many of the classic, fluffy Llewellyn books.  Truth be told, although I don't think I could be considered Wiccan in the strictest sense, I still put it down on school and medical forms because most people, at least around here, know what it is.  Although I have grown beyond my wide-eyed crystals-and-glitter newbie Wiccan stage a couple decades ago, I bear no ill will towards Wicca, and have nothing but fondness for it. 

There is no way I could have ever grown beyond it if I hadn't grown through it.  And for that I am extremely grateful.

Please forgive me for digging up this old bone. I didn't realize how old it was until after I'd posted.  I just really love my "bad" books! 

Edited by Broomflower, 27 July 2014 - 04:18 AM.

Eat your lawn.

#49 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Broomflower:  I wish more threads were resurrected more often. Old bones are great for new people to chew on and digest. 

My most embarrassing book purchase had nothing to do with witchcraft (having side-stepped that wiccan step in my witchy development)

1001 Sexual Positions. Now that's embarrassing.

Edited by Nikki, 27 July 2014 - 10:42 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#50 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

A 1001!? Holy zowie Batman, lol.

One of the tenants of WC is 'to keep silent', so that's just what I'm going to do re: the topic of this thread. 

#51 Branwen

Branwen

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

OK, I'm thinking this'll top everyone's most embarrassing book purchase: The Idiot's Guide to Psychic Awareness. Yup. ... It's still on the shelf only because I must have been a librarian over several previous lifetimes; I cannot bring myself to toss it.

People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character. - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

My Business Facebook Page: Brawnen's Botanicals

#52 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:18 PM

Hi, been having a clear out and found a book I bought years ago, worthy of resurrecting this thread for

Fiona Horne - Witch, a magickal journey, a hip guide to modern witchcraft

Oh dear

Star x

#53 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:31 PM

Solitary Witch by Silver Ravenwolf. Actually, anything by Silver Ravenwolf.

That, and Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cuningham.

I'd rather not remember buying those. I put them in the donation bin at my university. Maybe someone will find some value in that crap. I was still there last time I checked though, and it seems I can't even give that crap away.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#54 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:56 AM

Takes in deep breath.... Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft and Idiots Guide to Spells and Spellcraft.
They were at a local used book store and this was about 10yrs before I met my mentor. I "knew" there was something to witchcraft and that deep down inside I was always a witch, but I didn't have anyone 15yrs ago to guide me and all I kept seeing were books on Wicca (which I knew was a religion and I didn't want that), so when I saw those both for $5 I grabbed them. :wiccanpie:
I feel very fortunate to have found a mentor!

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#55 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Lol I was browsing eBay to see if I could bag any bargains and everyone of our books from the last 3 posts were going super cheap! Needless to say I passed the opportunity
Star x

#56 Hariasa

Hariasa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

Fiona Horne - Witch, a magickal journey, a hip guide to modern witchcraft

Oh my I remember that book as well. Didn't buy it though :P

#57 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

Lol just as well you didn't, it was the biggest load of poppycock ever! It was recommended to me my a (then) friend who swore that the best book ever was a Raymond buckland book I believe it was!

Nowadays I stick to my trees and herbs books mostly

Star x

#58 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

Ooooh here's a good (bad) one: A Wiccan Guide to Meditation by Raven Starwind (where do they get these names?!?)

I'd rather not think about the me that bought that book. It was a much stupider me.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#59 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

Ooooh here's a good (bad) one: A Wiccan Guide to Meditation by Raven Starwind (where do they get these names?!?)I'd rather not think about the me that bought that book. It was a much stupider me.

Lol I know, it's like you have to have a super mystical name to prove you're all witch

Star x

#60 Hariasa

Hariasa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

Here's one that a friend of my owned: Wicca Spellcraft For Men by Aj Drew Wicca. I'm sure it turned a lot of potential pagans way from the craft.