122 replies to this topic

#21 Palemoon

Palemoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

I've never seen or read any Silver Ravenwolf books, but there is so much on the net saying what tripe they are!

I didn't technically buy this one - my mum did - but it was about Candle Magic (can't remember the author) and the first page told you to light a candle, concerntrate on the flame visualising it going out until your "powers" make it happen. I don't reckon anyone got past the first page.....

#22 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

A lot of Wiccans confuse the two as well, not understanding that the two things are separate. Maybe that was the reason?

I wouldn't say they are separate. Wicca is a set path within the witchcraft spectrum. Wiccans are witches but not all witches are Wiccans, of that makes sense.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#23 verte1016

verte1016

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

I also fell into the trap of $ilver Raisin' Wealth.

Posted Image Hilarious!

A-hem, anyways, I bought Teen witch by SRW years ago in high school, and I really hate admitting it. Still, it was what really introduced me to the world of the occult, and without that I'm not sure which path I would have head down. Knowing that, I'm still embarrassed by the book, but I'm okay with its existence in my current library, if that makes sense.

#24 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

It makes sense, Verte, and anyone not born into a tradition usually started somewhere.....not matter how inauspicious those beginnings were..... Posted Image

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#25 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I've never seen or read any Silver Ravenwolf books [....]

I bought one at a flea market a couple of months ago just to see what all the hype was about. I'll happily give it to you for your "enlightenment". It's in the pile to get rid of. I don't keep books that make me want to :vomit:

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#26 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

I never went for $ilver Raisinwolf book, I'm glad to say, but I've got two that are no better.
"Pop Goes the Witch" by Fiorna Horne (it was a bargain book buy.. you know, in the bargain section); and when I was 12 or 13, I bought "The Magic Power of Witchcraft" by Gavin and Yvonne Frost. It's got a truly corny cover with spooky lettering and everything! Though I'm surprised to see a ton of positive reviews for it on Amazon.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#27 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

I've got to find a library that has some SRW books so I can check them out someday when I'm bored... I've never read any but have heard so much about them that I'm curious. lol
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#28 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

Well-meaning acquaintances like to buy me stupid and fluffy books, which I usually give away after an appropriate amount of time has passed. Occasionally, I will read one on a dare, (or to prove that someone is really full of shit in their "glowing" assessment). I rarely buy so-called Witchcraft books, as they rarely contribute anything to my Path. I prefer classic literature and poetry, but not necessarily for any Witchy content. I do recall receiving a copy of the Pocket Guide to Wicca. I am (almost) ashamed to say . . . I used it to start a fire. :blobfire:

#29 Wych Elm

Wych Elm

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Silver Ravenwolf is tripe? You mean I can't change the weather by the power of my mind alone?! Noo :wallbash:
I remember reading her Ultimate Guide and looking at the pipe cleaner type spells and wondering if I was missing something. My embarrassing ones are DJ Conway and Edain McCoy. DJ Conway's Dancing With Dragons. Dragon energy is ancient & powerful and she just reduces them to pet bunny rabbits. Provided you wave a sword at them, everything will be fine. Honest. :pumpkin_rolleyes:
I think more embarrassing is when I look back at my teens and realise I actually believed a lot of the stuff I read in these books. I even spouted it to other people. "The Church murdered 10 million Wiccans!." Hey, you live, you learn, you pick up a history book.

Dance me through to the stillness, to the point where the motion begins. Dance me through to the silence, to the edge where the world begins. - Kathryn Price NicDhana

#30 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Well-meaning acquaintances like to buy me stupid and fluffy books, which I usually give away after an appropriate amount of time has passed. Occasionally, I will read one on a dare, (or to prove that someone is really full of shit in their "glowing" assessment). I rarely buy so-called Witchcraft books, as they rarely contribute anything to my Path. I prefer classic literature and poetry, but not necessarily for any Witchy content. I do recall receiving a copy of the Pocket Guide to Wicca. I am (almost) ashamed to say . . . I used it to start a fire. :blobfire:

I had this one briefly in my early teens...until it got stolen. May have been the universe saying "Hun, really, don't read that. " LOL!

#31 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

I wouldn't say they are separate. Wicca is a set path within the witchcraft spectrum. Wiccans are witches but not all witches are Wiccans, of that makes sense.

But actually not all Wiccans are witches either. :) There are Wiccans who have the Wiccan beliefs, observe the wheel of the year, are into the natural world, etc, but who do not do any witchcraft and who do not consider themselves to be witches. So they follow the religion, but don't do the craft.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#32 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

. I even spouted it to other people. "The Church murdered 10 million Wiccans!." Hey, you live, you learn, you pick up a history book.

I'll second that notion!!

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

#33 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think more embarrassing is when I look back at my teens and realise I actually believed a lot of the stuff I read in these books. I even spouted it to other people. "The Church murdered 10 million Wiccans!." Hey, you live, you learn, you pick up a history book.

ROFL!! If the 10 million number isn't ridiculous enough (though the actual 40,000 - 100,000 is still beyond tragic), referring to the victims as wiccan is hilarious. Ain't revisionist history grand! This ties in rather nicely I think to the current thread here on healthy skepticism - always have a little.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#34 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

But actually not all Wiccans are witches either. :) There are Wiccans who have the Wiccan beliefs, observe the wheel of the year, are into the natural world, etc, but who do not do any witchcraft and who do not consider themselves to be witches. So they follow the religion, but don't do the craft.

I believe those types are just then neo-Pagans. But no matter, the point is Wicca itself, as set forward by Gardner, is a system of witchcraft and therefore is not *completely* separate. Which, to bring this back to the topic at hand, could be why so many Wiccan 101 books end up pushing so many of us down the rabbit hole once we dig deeper and find Wicca is only one small dot in a bigger picture. I agree with the other poster who said though these Wicca 101 books ala SRW and the like can be embarrassing we had to start somewhere. Like I said- total gateway drug.

#35 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

ROFL!! If the 10 million number isn't ridiculous enough (though the actual 40,000 - 100,000 is still beyond tragic), referring to the victims as wiccan is hilarious. Ain't revisionist history grand! This ties in rather nicely I think to the current thread here on healthy skepticism - always have a little.

I cringe when I think about how I fell for Z. Budapest and co's "herstory". Totally face-palming just thinking about it...

#36 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

I just don't have space on my shelves for crappy books, when there are so many good ones out there. I don't keep books that don't contribute to my craft. That being said, I have one tiny pocket sized DJ Conway Celtic Magic book because she had by chance or knowledge switched things to be correct that are usually published incorrectly. For that reason it was assigned reading from my mentor who has now died--I gave him shit about assigning it, lol. I face the cover around backwards because she has such a poor reputation, but I actually find the book very useful, when paired with my knowledge of the craft and the book in context of my craft training. So, I am mildly embarrassed to have it, but I think it is more valuable than given credit for however, after this book she went on to make a lotta of clones of it that are total tripe. And without the context my teacher gave this one, it is crap too, it needed the context. Maybe books are like pringles you can't write just one even if having more isn't a good idea after all, lol. Junk food, junk books right? At least it is tiny smaller than a novel so it doesn't waste much space.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#37 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

I didn't buy it, but the worst one a few people have mentioned, the Teen Witch bit by SRW. I actually derived a lot of benefit from reading that piece of work; after reading it I decided there was no way I was going to be wiccan :) It was worse than reading the religion textbooks assigned to me in the catholic high-school I was going to at the time.
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#38 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Probably my copy of "The Goodly Spellbook". The authors are wiccan and the book has a lot of wiccan related things in it, I guess. The reason why I like it and keep it, is because it references a lot of old info. that allows me a starting point to do further research elsewhere. Like, for example, I first came across the Pythagorean Theory of Music and Color within those pages. Stuff like that. I can sift through the wiccan influence and extract what is relevent to my path, so the wiccan influence doesn't bother me at all. In the spell section, the author does also list proposed magical "theory" behind each spell, which I thought was interesting.

So, yeah, that would be my most "embarrassing" purchase.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#39 Lucea's Child

Lucea's Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

LOL!

My most embarrassing book purchase has to be If You Want to Be a Witch by Edain McCoy. Posted Image

“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”

— Andre Gide

#40 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

I believe those types are just then neo-Pagans. But no matter, the point is Wicca itself, as set forward by Gardner, is a system of witchcraft and therefore is not *completely* separate. Which, to bring this back to the topic at hand, could be why so many Wiccan 101 books end up pushing so many of us down the rabbit hole once we dig deeper and find Wicca is only one small dot in a bigger picture. I agree with the other poster who said though these Wicca 101 books ala SRW and the like can be embarrassing we had to start somewhere. Like I said- total gateway drug.

Sorry!! I didn't see your post! Yes, I see your point about Gardner, that the two were closely woven together in the beginning. These days there are so many kinds of Wicca, that the founders wouldn't recognize half of it. And also I wanted to say I agree with the fact that no matter how bad these books are, if they led you to somewhere deeper, then at least they have done something other than collect dust! ;) Like you said, Gateway drug.