19 replies to this topic

#1 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

I got into a snail shell bent this past summer...collecting them every day from my in-laws' yard. I used some of them for a couple of mosaic-ish pots, but I still have a lot that I'd like to use in some way. I love the way snail shells look...especially the striped ones. I'd rather not crush them all, but some have holes in inconvenient places (can't use them for tying string for hanging).

I use some on my altar to symbolize movement and carrying "home" with me (since I'm not "home"). Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Abhainn, 18 April 2012 - 03:33 AM.

~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#2 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Have you ever done any wire wrapping? You could wrap the shells in copper wire to give them a loop to be string onto something and then use them for pendants, or additions to a wind chime.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#3 scorpiowitch

scorpiowitch

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I got into a snail shell bent this past summer...collecting them every day from my in-laws' yard. I used some of them for a couple of mosaic-ish pots, but I still have a lot that I'd like to use in some way. I love the way snail shells look...especially the striped ones. I'd rather not crush them all, but some have holes in inconvenient places (can't use them for tying string for hanging).

I use some on my altar to symbolize movement and carrying "home" with me (since I'm not "home"). Anyone have any ideas?

There is something in the back of mind regarding snail shells being used for the protection of a witch. So hanging them somewhere or putting them in a decorative bowl near the door or any other entrance to your home.

#4 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

You could fill them with something.. I dunno... herbs and an oil blend , Blood maybe ( not sure? ) or anything small enough to fit in that you feel is required for what you want them to hold, then seal the shell opening with wax or basic air drying clay. The best way to seal it like that would be to make a disc of the wax or clay on a plate ( before filling the shell ) , press it to the shell opening and trim to shape, then seal round the edges with more wax or clay.

You could either drill/poke a hole near the egde of the shells before sealing to hang them somewhere in a long string, or put them in a bowl as Scorpiowitch suggested. You could inscribe a sigil, marking or symbol into the sealing substance, or embed stones/crystals or more herbs into it.

You could even put them in a box frame ( the way butterflies and moths are displayed, look on ebay for one perhaps? ) and use them as a piece of hidden in plain sight protective decorative wall art. Just glue them down onto whatever backing you use before hanging.

Edited by Honeythorn, 18 April 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#5 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Cool...great ideas!!
~ Abhainn

hagstones.blogspot.com

#6 Guest_Gregori_*

Guest_Gregori_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

on youtube there is mywitchcraft by mal corvus.

he shows a few strands of snail shells as a good luck charm hung in a witch house.

There is something in the back of mind regarding snail shells being used for the protection of a witch. So hanging them somewhere or putting them in a decorative bowl near the door or any other entrance to your home.

#7 Guest_Gregori_*

Guest_Gregori_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

you could tie them together around a dried gourd and make a rattle. i've seen African rattles done this way with pucca shells for fertility and sight, snail shell rattles would be good for home and spiral work.

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

I have a necklace made out of snail shells and red glass beads. And I also have a charm made of snail shells hanging up. (If you drill holes in them to hang them, put a piece of wood underneath them to drill through them into or else you bust the shell to pieces - my kitchen counter has a ton of little holes in it where I drilled through the shells, lol).

M

#9 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

I'm another for keeping snail shells around the house as protection. I think they could also be carried with you for protection and also as a container for other spells you might want to have on hand, as they are good little vessels. The spiral of the shells also reminds me of traveling as well as the fact it's a portable home, so I can see it being good for that.

#10 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

See, this is why I asked y'all. You're clever and creative and willing to share. :)

I'm thinking about making a mobile out of some of them as well as some of the feathers I'm finding in the area (all pigeon, alas...) to hang out on the patio near my bird feeder. I also added some crushed snail shell to my egg shell powder for protection as well. I might string a couple together and hang them from my rearview mirror as well.

I didn't know that the snail's internal organs were in the shell...I did some research last night. Fascinating stuff. :) So there is that element of protecting your inner self, as well as the introspection. And patience. "Snail's Pace." And those shells are tough. They look fragile, but the roundness disperses impact, so it's hard to break them.

I have one shell that I love - it has a dent where the snail had to mend some damage. That to me represents a survivor. That one is going on my altar. :)

I see the more narrow cone-shaped ones here in El Paso - have been picking those up as well (very rarely do I see them, tho.)

I will try to incorporate all these ideas. Thanks so so much!!

~ Abhainn

hagstones.blogspot.com

#11 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

The Pigeon -

Ted Andrews/Animal-Speak
Keynote: Return to the Love and Security of Home
Cycle of Power: Year-round

The pigeon is an unusual bird. Athought most people think of it as a pest in the city environment, it has very unique characteristics. It is also tied to very gentle and loving archetypal energies.

Today the word "dove" and "pigeon" are used interchangeably. Although there is a difference, the two species are related. It would be wise for anyone with a pigeon as a totem to study the characteristics of the dove as well.

The pigeon has a long history associated with the home and with fertility. The real name of Christopher Columbus was "Colombo" which is the Italian word for "pigeon." Columbus helped discover a new home. The pigeon also has an extraordinary homing sense. It knows how to find its way back home, no matter how far it has gone.

It is because of this that they often are symbols for a time or a need to return to the security of home. Pigeons can teach us how to find our way back when we are lost. They help us to remember and find the love of home and homelife that we have either given up or lost. They are the only bird that can drink by sucking up water into their beaks. This reflects that ability to draw on the energies of home, no matter how distant.

They are reminders to us to remember that which has positively affected us from our early home life. Have we forgotten who we are? Are we falling into old patterns we vowed to remember and change? Have we forgotten our basicc foundations, the heritage we have had passed on to us through home and family? This includes the morals, the behaviors, the attitudes, etc. Draw upon them and use them.

Because they breed rapidly and publicly, pigeons came to be sacred symbols for fertility gods and goddesses. They reflect the fertility of home and family that can occur when they are around. Pigeons will huddle together during a storm. If there are storms in your life, huddle with your family--biological or otherwise. There will be safety and security in that activity. Remember that pigeons remind us of the possibilities, real and ideal, associated with home and family.

.... seems to me they go quite nicely with snail shells!! M

#12 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

you could tie them together around a dried gourd and make a rattle. i've seen African rattles done this way with pucca shells for fertility and sight, snail shell rattles would be good for home and spiral work.

Spiraling for trance work is something I've used snail shells for, larger ones that I found on the beach. Especially broken ones that show the inner spiral and darkness better.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#13 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

The Pigeon -

Ted Andrews/Animal-Speak
Keynote: Return to the Love and Security of Home
Cycle of Power: Year-round

The pigeon is an unusual bird. Athought most people think of it as a pest in the city environment, it has very unique characteristics. It is also tied to very gentle and loving archetypal energies.

Today the word "dove" and "pigeon" are used interchangeably. Although there is a difference, the two species are related. It would be wise for anyone with a pigeon as a totem to study the characteristics of the dove as well.

The pigeon has a long history associated with the home and with fertility. The real name of Christopher Columbus was "Colombo" which is the Italian word for "pigeon." Columbus helped discover a new home. The pigeon also has an extraordinary homing sense. It knows how to find its way back home, no matter how far it has gone.

It is because of this that they often are symbols for a time or a need to return to the security of home. Pigeons can teach us how to find our way back when we are lost. They help us to remember and find the love of home and homelife that we have either given up or lost. They are the only bird that can drink by sucking up water into their beaks. This reflects that ability to draw on the energies of home, no matter how distant.

They are reminders to us to remember that which has positively affected us from our early home life. Have we forgotten who we are? Are we falling into old patterns we vowed to remember and change? Have we forgotten our basicc foundations, the heritage we have had passed on to us through home and family? This includes the morals, the behaviors, the attitudes, etc. Draw upon them and use them.

Because they breed rapidly and publicly, pigeons came to be sacred symbols for fertility gods and goddesses. They reflect the fertility of home and family that can occur when they are around. Pigeons will huddle together during a storm. If there are storms in your life, huddle with your family--biological or otherwise. There will be safety and security in that activity. Remember that pigeons remind us of the possibilities, real and ideal, associated with home and family.

.... seems to me they go quite nicely with snail shells!! M

Thanks M! I have this book and I can't believe I haven't looked into pigeon medicine. I guess I wanted desperately not to be a pigeon because they're so common - something that every book on totem animals warns against. So yes, snail shells and pigeon feathers it is!! And aspen and pine twigs. And pine cones. Overdoing it, maybe?

~ Abhainn

hagstones.blogspot.com

#14 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Spiraling for trance work is something I've used snail shells for, larger ones that I found on the beach. Especially broken ones that show the inner spiral and darkness better.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is spiraling? I can't find anything that explains it...

~ Abhainn

hagstones.blogspot.com

#15 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

For me following the spiral of a mazey stone, or a shell or a triskale helps me go onto trance. I think thats spiraling.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#16 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

For me following the spiral of a mazey stone, or a shell or a triskale helps me go onto trance. I think thats spiraling.

Ah - I'll have to try that. I'm rotten at getting into trance states. Thanks!

~ Abhainn

hagstones.blogspot.com

#17 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

One could glue uniform snail shells, or just clam shells even, strategically into a round orb, and place a protection ward within, and hang that in one's window.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

Saw a huge snail down at the river's edge.  It was happily perched on a rock in the middle of the rapidly moving water.  Much bigger specimen than I have seen there before.  I could not reach it, but would have left it alone anyway.  Still, I am inspired by such ugly, yet amazing creatures  . . . http://molluscs.at/index.html

#19 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

I picked one of these on the beach today and was surprised by how easily it crushed.  It became like the sand.  No reason why it can't be crushed and used in a protection powder. 

Edited by Whiterose, 09 September 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#20 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Yummy I love snails fryed with a little garlic. Anyway I use the shell also as most of you described but only ones I find. The ones I eat I use as art work on mirrors or boxes. Thanks for the link Jevne its very good. Yes in sicily there is a certain snail that I would watch the sailors sell for a bit more because of the purple dye they produced. They would let them rot in water. I do believe iv sailed this before lol.