• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 nellopea

nellopea

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:44 PM

You ask good questions! The lemon is for both. Mugwort is bitter, especially after boiling it for 30 minutes, so the lemon is a nice compliment to that bitterness. But citric acid is also a preservative and inhibits bacterial growth. It’ll be interesting to see how much citrus flavor is retained when it’s finished. I thought to add some additional flavors, maybe coriander or orange zest, but kept it simple this time. I’m trying to get my hands on some good dried henbane for my next brew. Thinking I’ll need to grow my own if I want enough to make a beer with.

No temperature control. My pantry doubles as my room and it’s dark and coolish in there, so I keep my big batches of fire cider and anything I’m brewing or fermenting in there. It’s also closed off so the cats and dogs can’t venture in and potentially spoil anything.

So what are you brewing? Have you made anything that you loved and would make again? What kind of yeast do you use?

Did you add the lemon for flavor or the acid content?  I like the idea of natural sweeteners and I see the advantage of a glass starter vessel.  I never considered the introduction of outside bacteria.  Is your fermentation storage space temperature controlled?

#22 nellopea

nellopea

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:45 PM

Oops! My pantry doubles as my herb room!