10 replies to this topic

#1 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

I wanted to post about beer making. It is instant satisfaction and very rewarding, it can be less alchohic than wine or mead. You use the same equipment to make it, plus a stove for boiling and a fridge to put it in when its done. Michele you might have to do this over a fire in your yard! Oh yeah and you need a gizmo to put the lids on with, or you can buy the resealing reusable ones with littlelevers on them, I like those.

A beer takes only like two- three weeks to make and doesn't need to age.

There are probably a million recipes online, I am using the book Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers.

Its a good follow up for me to Wild Fermentation because it is unscientific dirty and wild. My kind of witchery!

I have a boiling spirit (yeast) living in my house that flew in on the air and ferments my honey mead for me. And I learned you can save the yeast from the lees to start your next batch, rather than buying it new every batch. Woot!

So far I have been doing well with herbal brews, I am giving fruity ones another go, and I want to try something with ginger soon.

:beerchug:

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

That sounds lovely - I am looking to make some papaya and ginger mead once my papayas get big enough. How does it taste compared to commercial beers - does it still have that after-taste or can one do away with that?

M

#3 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

If you don't use hopps then there isn't much bitterness. It also depends on the yeast. I like Belgian wheat ales with no hops vor a not bitter beer with good flavor and body. Beer is a huge world!
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#4 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yay, another person who's not hellbent on hops! So very often I see beer advertised on it's hops content, like it's all about the hops. Hops are freakin' bitter, I prefer a heavier, sweeter malt content myself, and just a touch of hops.
http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#5 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

Made a malt mugwort beer today, can't wait to drink it!

#6 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

Weirdly hoppy beers are harder for beginners to make, stouts and porters in particular if you are unsure the kits for these ones produce the better consistent results. Tasting home brewers own (my own firsts, family beers and of course friends attempts) over a few years holds this to be true for me and others I know who brew also confirm it. One of my hobbies is beer drinking. :)

I may be a bit biased here as I love these darker beers personally with bitters coming afterwards and whilst I love hops (the uses of this plant seriously :) ) I find craft beers of the hoppy kind end up to hoppy hops and just to bitter for me personally to enjoy in any sense. Ritually and magically I find the darker beers better as they can more easily take on extra herbs or subs. ;)

Now I brew with kits, would love the time to try the brewing process in its entire form but my philtres and balms take up that time at present. But I do like to add my own touches, does anyone else brew this way?

#7 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:34 AM

www.garshol.priv.no/blog

This is the best source I've found since I recently became enamoured of brewing. Sarasuperid, hopefully tacking this on to your thread brings no ire. But, somewhere in here is a lovely account of current firstlings sacrifice in the Northlands. Granny runs off with the new tipple and pours it over a phallic stone, what is better than that?

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#8 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

My husband makes beer, wine and mead. He is currently working on a gallon batch of chamomile ale, and about three gallons of muscadine wine. The ale should be ready in about a week. He is also aging a batch of peach mead, which should be ready around the end of the year. I really want to get him that sacred beers book!
True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

I've always to try my hand with beer. I've also wanted to try the very occasional henbane beer, I hear it's an excellent time.

RSKHFMY

#10 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:50 AM

Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation by Stephen Harrod Buhner is a useful resource for this kind of thing. I've made 'buzz beer' with yerba mate in it (ok), 'sleepy beer' with hops, lavender, chamomile and valerian (quite nice), and 'bizarre beer' with wormwood, salvia divinorum, wild dagga and blue lotus (odd, but drinkable cold).

I'm looking forward to my mugwort growing enough to pick to use for this, possibly with taragon and wormwood as an 'Artemissia trifecta' I think that blue lotus will go better with a mid-sweet and aromatic wine like muscadine - hope to have enough grapes this year to have a go - i now have my own home-grown blue lotus to use rather than bought.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#11 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:31 AM

Twice now I've misread the title as "Sacred Bears" ... Care Bears with full regalia? Sigh. Danged small print on my Eye Pad...(cough)