Photo
- - - - -

Dollywood

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sylvan

Sylvan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Inspired RavenFlyer's Smoky Mountain Troll thread, if you ever find yourself in nearby Dollywood, there is a wonderful shop that is just "plum full" of rocks and minerals. I used to loooove it even before I called myself witch. You can find all sorts of stuff and the prices are good because they expect kids to bug their parents to buy stuff. Next time my dad drags us to Dollywood (it happens every two or three years), I will definitely budget to spend a bunch in that shop for my "rock collection."

THE untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

Posted Image

#2 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I love dollywood. I love dolly parton too! I know the gem mine store you are talking about. I have bought a few small specimens from there! Nice little shop, but I liked it better when it was inside the "mined" area. Now it's just in a normal store front.

Another old favorite store I had there was the Celtic Store, but it moved to a smaller location and isn't as good as it used to be.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#3 Sylvan

Sylvan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

I love dollywood. I love dolly parton too! I know the gem mine store you are talking about. I have bought a few small specimens from there! Nice little shop, but I liked it better when it was inside the "mined" area. Now it's just in a normal store front.

Another old favorite store I had there was the Celtic Store, but it moved to a smaller location and isn't as good as it used to be.

I love Dolly too!! "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap," is one of my favorite Dolly quotes.

I didn't know they moved the gem store out of the mine area--boo! It was really cool because it was sort of hidden in a tunnel and seemed like a magical escape from some of the other stuff. I will know to look elsewhere.

Do you remember the ride The Flooded Mine? That was the best, hate that they got ride of that.

I will be on the lookout for the Celtic store too. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is a strange place. It's full of a lot of wacky tacky stuff to do and I have participated in most of it, but if you knwo where to look, you can find some really fascinating shops. And of course, the mountains themselves...

Posted Image

#4 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

I loved the flooded mine. It was a great reprieve from the summer heat. Of course I heard the horror stories of copperhead snakes staying in the water and biting guests. I don't know if that's true or not.
My ETSY store:

#5 Sylvan

Sylvan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

I loved the flooded mine. It was a great reprieve from the summer heat. Of course I heard the horror stories of copperhead snakes staying in the water and biting guests. I don't know if that's true or not.

It was also a good place for teenagers to make out...lol

Posted Image

#6 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

So just wanted to bump this thread. Dollywood will be re opening in march. And dolly always makes a personal appearance on opening day. I wish I could see/meet her just once.
My ETSY store:

#7 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

I love Dolly! Years ago I was at a corporate event in Nashville and she was booked as the entertainment! Brilliant! I was really close to stage and lucky to have been there.
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#8 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I'm jealous tana!
My ETSY store:

#9 Sylvan

Sylvan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

One of my ex-boyfreinds (from TN) met Dolly when he was a real little boy at Dollywood. Apparently she was just there and went up and talked to him.

Gratuitous Dolly quote of the day: "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap."

Lastly, regarding the OT, my sister went to Dollywood back it the fall and I sent a ton of money with her to go crazy in the gem store but she barely came back with a handful of quartz and hematite. She said it was totally scaled back and there were hardly any choices. BUMMER. I really liked the idea of going on secret gemstone supply runs to Dollywood.

Posted Image

#10 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'm getting ready to go to dollywood in a few minutes! I'll think of you Sylvan as I look at the now super small gem store.
My ETSY store: