19 replies to this topic

#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Has anyone used bonemeal rather than crushed-up "found" bones in their workings and how did this work for you? My understanding of bonemeal is that it is made of either ground cow or sheep bone (both animals having much symbolism within the craft) and should be quite "health" safe to use as long as the batch was made after the 1970s. Obviously found and witch-crushed bone will have a strong connection, but one could still prep and work with the bonemeal to impart a connection. Also, has anyone ever used it to mark out (sigils/compass/etc) when working out of doors for necromatic workings? I usually don't have enough "found" bones to make enough for markings, but it would be easy to get enough by obtaining a bag of bonemeal from the local garden shop. Has anyone ever substituted bonemeal?

M

#2 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

For animal bone meal, chicken bones are good and easy to come by, especially if you like fried chicken. Most of the time I use human bone powder though. It's fantastic for sigils and necromantic workings(duh, lol). My friend who owns The Pumpkin and the Cauldron sells it for a decent price, given what it is.

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

I am not sure how I feel about using human bones where I don't knw the human. Although animals all have idividual personalities, they are not as evolved as human ones and come with less "emotional" attachment I think... do yu know where he gets the bones from???

M

#4 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

I am not sure how I feel about using human bones where I don't knw the human. Although animals all have idividual personalities, they are not as evolved as human ones and come with less "emotional" attachment I think... do yu know where he gets the bones from???

M

Nothing wrong with using "industrial bonemeal". I have-as well as cornmeal, chalk powder, coffee grounds etc. I feel the same about using mixed up human bonemeal-(as my mind popped automatically to a crematorium). It's strange-I do work with unknown dead, but feel that using their bones and not knowing who they are is a bit to personal? Is that weird?

#5 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Has anyone used bonemeal rather than crushed-up "found" bones in their workings and how did this work for you? My understanding of bonemeal is that it is made of either ground cow or sheep bone (both animals having much symbolism within the craft) and should be quite "health" safe to use as long as the batch was made after the 1970s. Obviously found and witch-crushed bone will have a strong connection, but one could still prep and work with the bonemeal to impart a connection. Also, has anyone ever used it to mark out (sigils/compass/etc) when working out of doors for necromatic workings? I usually don't have enough "found" bones to make enough for markings, but it would be easy to get enough by obtaining a bag of bonemeal from the local garden shop. Has anyone ever substituted bonemeal?

M

I haven't used garden bonemeal as a substitute for real animal bone. I've used chicken wing bone as those bones for me, are easier to pulverize. I personally have a connection to the symbol of a Wing, so it seemed natural for me to use this as an application in a working.

I slit the bone, as best I can, and dig out the marrow, mix the marrow with diluted ochre powder to make a paint mixture, and use that combination for my writing in the particular working I would craft. The bone is then pulverised for to add to the working, as an enhancement, or saved for another time.

I don't look at or draw my conclusion as to the symbolism of the "chicken".. but as a bird with a wing. I've also used pork bones, there are parts of that bone, that resemble thorn shards, in a triangular way, like an arrow head. I have a different method on extracting the marrow from a pork bone, as that bone has a harder element to it vrs a chicken bone.

I too would have reservation on using a human bone, but that's just me. Ironic, as I do use human hair or other human parts for workings.. lol ! I know, I know.. Posted Image :wacko:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Lol - the reason I have a problem with human bone is becuase I don't know the human. If I use hair I know whose hair it is. An unknown human could have been anything from a nun to a rapist and depending on the working I wouldn't necessarily want that baggage attached. I really like the chicken bone idea... but I've have to run up the road and buy some BBQ wings as we don't want me trying to make wings in the toaster oven :-O (Hummmm.... getting a bit "peckish" now come to thinnk of it...)

M

#7 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

She gets it from a crematorium. That's all I know. I personally have had really good luck with it, though I do hold it in my hands before deciding whether or not to use it, seeing what energy is attached. Haven't had a bad batch yet, but it is always possible.

#8 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Living in the country I have plenty of found bones, large, small, wild, domesticated, etc. For me it would come down to how pure the commercially prepared bonemeal is, whether it has been treated, has fillers, additives, etc.

I haven't used ground human bones, but I'm not averse to it.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#9 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

1333732768[/url]' post='123961']
Lol - the reason I have a problem with human bone is becuase I don't know the human. If I use hair I know whose hair it is. An unknown human could have been anything from a nun to a rapist and depending on the working I wouldn't necessarily want that baggage attached. I really like the chicken bone idea... but I've have to run up the road and buy some BBQ wings as we don't want me trying to make wings in the toaster oven :-O (Hummmm.... getting a bit "peckish" now come to thinnk of it...)

M

For me this is also a reason why I wouldn't be happy with using commercial bonemeal, it is a byproduct of the mass production of meat and therefore considering I don't buy this cheap source of meat, to use a byproduct wouldn't sit right with me. Animals are not treated well in these mass productions albeit better than they once were but still.... If I find a dead animal or bird on a walk in the forest I know that animal died according to the laws of nature. I like to know the background of materials I use hence like you I want to know about it first.
Usually I have a stockpot on simmer so I confess I am lucky in that I would normally always have bones I can use, in addition to the ground bone I use ground chalk from trips to Dorset which works well.

#10 Guest_Morgana Raven_*

Guest_Morgana Raven_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

So I know most would not use commercial bone meal but I was thinking about some brands in a health food store like Kal bone meal powder or something to that affects to start incorporating it to my practice. Do you think that its better or worse then maybe getting it from a gardening store? A lot of vitamin company are doing good things for the animals and environment. Just thinking

#11 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Kal bone is not actually bone. It's Ipriflavone (synthetic used to reduce bone loss in menopausal women and currently marketed as an anabolic agent for body builders) , D3 and K2.

I've never used bonemeal from a garden store. I generally use chicken bones.

#12 Tamara

Tamara

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

This may sound odd or even disturbing to some....but I work in surgery and do a lot of total joints.  For an example:  In total knees we basically take out the damaged  knee and put in the prosthesis knee.  I thought about taking the bone but haven't.  I don't know what I would use it for and I rather work with animal bones. 

#13 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

I'd have a problem with taking bones from a surgery only from placing myself or my loved ones in that position in my imagination. I'd go ballistic on anyone who took the bones of anyone I loved for their own spell use, lol... hence, I personally wouldn't do it to someone else. But then I have the same feelings on graveyard dirt and remains... I would be pissed as shit if someone fucked with my Dead, hence I don't fuck with other peoples. It's a matter of respect - no matter how long they've been dead.

M

Edited by Michele, 02 October 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#14 Tamara

Tamara

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:12 AM

I do respect that.  It's an uncomfortable feeling and I haven't felt the desire to do so.  My father had several surgeries so those thoughts ran through my mind many times.  Have I entertain the thought...yes, (only human, sorry) but I don't feel comfortable doing so for the reasons you stated.

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:29 AM

You father is different (depending on your purpose and relationship). But bones that aren't of your own... I'd think twice about. Unless you needed a taglock of that specific person.

M

#16 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Agreed.  There is a level of immediate trust that comes with being a doctor, surgeon or midwife, ect.  The patients of those people trust those professionals not to abuse their parts/dna.   In my opinion it is an ethical violation of trust.  I would not randomly collect parts of people in the "off chance" I might need it.  If I need something, I will go get it, but much can be done with out it anyway, and I would have to have a very good reason to violate that trust in the first place. 

#17 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:02 AM

I have a suggestion for the thread, I am a hunter and typically have all kinds of deer bones lying around...almost to the point that it's ridiculous.  I do make bonemeal out of them for workings and very special garden plants where I spell the soil (otherwise I use commercial bonemeal).  If I only need a pinch I'll grind it off with a horse hoof rasp...the only issue being that it takes forever if you need a lot of it. (horse hooves are made of keratin which is significantly softer than bone)... So I cheat and use an electric grinder (of the weld shop variety) if I need a rather large batch of it.  I take one of those large tubs with the rope handles you can find at any department store and (using a dust mask) aim the dust into the bin. Also, I use a handheld dremel to carve bones sometimes when I'm feeling artistic, particularly antlers and femurs and that will leave dust behind as well.  Boring into teeth for jewelry will also.

If you don't hunt you might possibly have some friends who do...ask them if they have any unwanted bones next time they get a kill.  Tell them it's for a "crafting project" and they won't think twice about it.  Most of them won't use lower legs (the hooves) and some even toss out the ribs (which I think is insane, BBQ deer ribs are amazing.)  There's also pelvis, doe skulls, tails, and various other parts of the deer that are often just chucked aside.  Not only the bones are useful obviously, there's a plethora of useful Crafting items from such large game.  Using your own kill is especially going to be more potent in a working but if it's bones you're after then there are usually plenty to go around

-C

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#18 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

This may sound odd or even disturbing to some....but I work in surgery and do a lot of total joints.  For an example:  In total knees we basically take out the damaged  knee and put in the prosthesis knee.  I thought about taking the bone but haven't.  I don't know what I would use it for and I rather work with animal bones. 

Aren't they required to be discarded of in a specific manner though? My husband's a nationally certified/licensed surgical assistant and I don't think they're discarded in the trash in the same manner as gloves, masks, scrubs, etc. Plus don't some of them get sent to pathology sometimes just to be safe? 

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#19 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

I have a suggestion for the thread, I am a hunter and typically have all kinds of deer bones lying around...almost to the point that it's ridiculous.  I do make bonemeal out of them for workings and very special garden plants where I spell the soil (otherwise I use commercial bonemeal).  If I only need a pinch I'll grind it off with a horse hoof rasp...the only issue being that it takes forever if you need a lot of it. (horse hooves are made of keratin which is significantly softer than bone)... So I cheat and use an electric grinder (of the weld shop variety) if I need a rather large batch of it.  I take one of those large tubs with the rope handles you can find at any department store and (using a dust mask) aim the dust into the bin. Also, I use a handheld dremel to carve bones sometimes when I'm feeling artistic, particularly antlers and femurs and that will leave dust behind as well.  Boring into teeth for jewelry will also.

If you don't hunt you might possibly have some friends who do...ask them if they have any unwanted bones next time they get a kill.  Tell them it's for a "crafting project" and they won't think twice about it.  Most of them won't use lower legs (the hooves) and some even toss out the ribs (which I think is insane, BBQ deer ribs are amazing.)  There's also pelvis, doe skulls, tails, and various other parts of the deer that are often just chucked aside.  Not only the bones are useful obviously, there's a plethora of useful Crafting items from such large game.  Using your own kill is especially going to be more potent in a working but if it's bones you're after then there are usually plenty to go around

-C

You might want to think about trading them. I'm sure you'd get some interest from members here who don't have easy access to bones. Offer to swap them for things you haven't got access to you where you are!

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#20 NiamhMorganaAstra

NiamhMorganaAstra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

This maybe a silly question, but I have never used bonemeal. So, what is bonemeal used for?

Edited by NiamhMorganaAstra, 12 August 2014 - 04:26 PM.