78 replies to this topic

#61 balefire

balefire

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

http://www.mamanatur...gshell-calcium/
...and there are many alternative medicine websites that recommend it as well, like this one ^ (or just google it)

Thank you for the articles. How do you take the eggshell calcium? Do you mix it in water like the one article suggested, or can it be mixed in food like hot oatmeal?

#62 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

I take it with my home made kefir, yoghurt or with mashed potatoes, it doesn't matter to me really, as long as I don't really taste it ;-) I take it as a medicine, don't like it but it's beneficial for my health.

"There are some who may seem -seem not- as others seem,

who walk life's ragged mile

hid' beneath Man's common guise.

Yet such are they that seem by day,

who walk abroad by night."

#63 Faolana

Faolana

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Also: b812865af5330b93a6377aec4887a5a4.jpg

#64 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:37 PM

I remember reading an article stating that there is about 400 mg calcium in one half teaspoon of ground eggshell! Thats pretty cool to me, as I like to utilize as much as I can from food items. I have made the eggshell candles before using beeswax! A little tip is to make sure you use an appropriate size wick, for a proper clean burn. Will take a few practice ones to figure out which size works best. 

What does everyone associate egg shells with, or how do you utilize in spell work? I have used them in workings based around beauty, strength, and protection. Mostly in powdered form, but I have used it full before. Crushing an egg, even just the shell, is incredibly satisfying. 

#65 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:27 PM

I've never thought of egg shells as a condiment before. :-)

So far I have only used them in protection spells.

#66 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

I have found in my dealings with egg shells, that crushing them with the hands allows the membrane to start breaking away. As I crush the shells, the membrane separates completely. I have also hard boiled my eggs and it works better than using the eggshells and waiting for them to completely dry and rinsing them before they dry. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#67 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:13 AM

Bump

RSKHFMY

#68 Vivienne

Vivienne

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

Thanks for the bump. I've always had trouble getting the membrane off and invariably miss some. I think I'm not getting them dry enough. I'll try hard boiling this time. :)

#69 Cameo

Cameo

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:57 AM

I don't bake mine nor do I remove the membrane. I just wash them with soap and water then let them dry for a week or so. I find getting them ground into a fine powder to be the biggest PIA though since I don't have a coffee grinder.

#70 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

I'm with Cameo, I don't bake my egg shells and I don't remove the membrane. I hear a lot of people saying they do that, I am just curious, why?

I just rinse them with water, not even soap, and let them dry.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#71 Nemesisuk

Nemesisuk

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:07 PM

I am going to show my real ignorance here, what do you use powdered eggshell for?

#72 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

I boil and peel. Let dry for a few days then crush with mortar and pestle.

Mainly use them for fertility spells but they are useful in other ways, too

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#73 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

There are a fair ton of uses for eggshells, many of which are mentioned in this thread. Here are a few examples, just of witchy ways to work with them:

Egg shells are great for protection and cleansing.

Add to magickal powders, floor washes or cleansing baths.

Use the powder to mark a barrier ( such as a circle or doorway ) or draw sigils.

You can even make chalk out of eggshells, to make drawing with them easier. 

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#74 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

A note to add since it hasn't been mentioned so far; Powdered eggshell is known as Cascarilla powder in hoodoo/Santeria traditions and is traditionally used in protection/warding, particularly (but not exclusively) for houses.

A fun bit of lingo to use - sounds better than 'powdered eggshell' ;)

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#75 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

I am going to show my real ignorance here, what do you use powdered eggshell for?

There are a fair ton of uses for eggshells, many of which are mentioned in this thread. Here are a few examples, just of witchy ways to work with them:

Egg shells are great for protection and cleansing.

Add to magickal powders, floor washes or cleansing baths.

Use the powder to mark a barrier ( such as a circle or doorway ) or draw sigils.

You can even make chalk out of eggshells, to make drawing with them easier. 

I made chalk using my egg shells thinking I could draw circles and sigils with it. Hard a rock, lol. I never tried again but I suppose I should. Still think it's a cool idea. 

Edited by Holdasown, 27 August 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#76 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

I made chalk using my egg shells thinking I could draw circles and sigils with it. Hard a rock, lol. I never tried again but I suppose I should. Still think it's a cool idea. 

I love this idea! How did the powder bind together? Did you use a particular ingredient for that, or was water enough?

#77 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:13 AM

All right, an added alchemic note: dissolve eggshells in vinegar, run through filter paper, then evaporate the vinegar to get calcium acetate powder, add the powder 1 part dry calcium acetate (by volume) to 2 parts water (ideally distilled water) to make a saturated solution of C.A. - about 15gms of pure CA per 50ml of water.

Mix the solution with around 300mls of high proof Alcohol (the higher the better 95%ABV is ideal) and it will form an alcohol gell (which is the base of many hand sanitizes).

The neat thing from my (pyromaniacal) POV is that you can now paint a design (like, let's say a sigil) with the gel and then set it on fire to have a flaming design. :witchnana:

Edited to add: I haven't tried it, but if you can't get 95%abv, it may work adding the C.A. directly to 300ml of 80%abv Everclear (that I know some folk in the USA can buy)

Edited by FrozenThunderbolt, 27 August 2017 - 07:18 AM.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#78 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

I love this idea! How did the powder bind together? Did you use a particular ingredient for that, or was water enough?

I used flour and water. There are recipes online for kids. 

Edited by Holdasown, 27 August 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#79 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

I used flour and water. There are recipes online for kids.