Photo

Egg Shells

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Morgana Raven_*

Guest_Morgana Raven_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

I'm going to cook my egg shells right now! Tell you guys how they turned out!

#42 Guest_Morgana Raven_*

Guest_Morgana Raven_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

1333723773[/url]' post='123951']
I'm trying to find the instructions I used the first time I did it, but can't seem to find them on the net. :-/ I believe I baked them at a much lower temperature for longer, like 200 for 20 minutes or something like that and they turned out great. Sorry yours turned black!

Aloe! I came out wonderfully the way you said it would! Posted Image

#43 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

Aloe! I came out wonderfully the way you said it would! Posted Image

Well crap, just noticed this and she's gone already lol. You're welcome anyway MR, if you see this as a guest.

I did up some eggshells today, and paid more attention to what I do so that I could post it here in detail. Like I said before, I just save my eggshells as I cook with eggs, I stick them back in the carton and into the fridge without washing them or anything after I crack them. When I've finished that carton of eggs, then I'll bake the dozen eggshells to get them ready to powder.

I put them on a cookie sheet today, heated the oven to 200 degrees fahrenheit, and let them bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Pulled them out and let them cool, then put them in my eggshell canister so that whenever I need some I can grab and grind. As you can see in my pictures there are bits of membrane, egg white, and yolk in my eggs still because I don't wash them, but after they've baked those are so dry that they powder easily and never go bad (for me).

Attached Files

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#44 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

Well crap, just noticed this and she's gone already lol. You're welcome anyway MR, if you see this as a guest.

I did up some eggshells today, and paid more attention to what I do so that I could post it here in detail. Like I said before, I just save my eggshells as I cook with eggs, I stick them back in the carton and into the fridge without washing them or anything after I crack them. When I've finished that carton of eggs, then I'll bake the dozen eggshells to get them ready to powder.

I put them on a cookie sheet today, heated the oven to 200 degrees fahrenheit, and let them bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Pulled them out and let them cool, then put them in my eggshell canister so that whenever I need some I can grab and grind. As you can see in my pictures there are bits of membrane, egg white, and yolk in my eggs still because I don't wash them, but after they've baked those are so dry that they powder easily and never go bad (for me).

Awesome! I save the egg shells like you describe but I have never baked them. I need to do this.

#45 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

@ CelticGypsy -- I love the idea of an eggshell used as a mini cauldron. How crafty !!! I imagine it would make a good candle holder, too.

Personally, I dislike anything slimy, so to rid an eggshell of its membrane, I rinse the shell with warm, running water... for a thicker membrane, try soaking the eggshell in warm water with a pinch of salt. This works well for me. Rise clean and allow the shell to dry before crushing. 

I have to try baking them, I like that idea very much... Thanks Aloe.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#46 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

The membrane is wonderful for first aid.  I've read that some people dry them and keep them on hand just for that purpose.  When I need one I just grab an egg.  They also make wonderful little plant starters.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#47 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

The membrane is wonderful for first aid.  I've read that some people dry them and keep them on hand just for that purpose.  When I need one I just grab an egg.  They also make wonderful little plant starters.

_______

What kind of first aid RoseRed?

#48 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

I use it mostly for cuts.  I'll keep it moist with Vitamin E oil from the capsules and change the dressing 2 or 3 times a day.  After the first day it'll cling to the cut and your body will suck out all the good stuff it.  My Aunt said it was proteins but I really don't know.  After about 3-4 days it'll just fall right off after.

As long as the cut is clean and there's no sign of infection I'll leave it on until it falls off naturally.  I only use it on cuts that would require a bandage for a days.  They've always healed beautifully with no scar. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#49 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Thanks!

#50 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

I always just peel off the membrane which usually takes a while. I'll try some of the things mentioned in this topic next time.

Edited by NiamhBrennaDarcy, 04 February 2014 - 10:49 AM.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#51 moonstone

moonstone

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

I didn't realize that eggshells had so many other purposes. I only ever collected mine for workings, but will try the other ideas.

For my eggshells I only use those that came from boiled eggs. I then let them sit on my kitchen counter, with the membrane on, until they are completely dry.I just leave them on a plate or in a bowl, and it takes just over a week. Not as quick as baking (which is such a great idea!), but easier on the energy bill. Once they've dried out, I crush them and store them in a Mason jar. I've never had any issues with smell or mold, and they've been sitting there for a while.

#52 NightshadeMoon

NightshadeMoon

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

I just leave the eggshells out on the counter in direct sunlight to let them dry out. I don't remove the membrane, I just crush them as is. I have a ziplock bag full of ground shell. 

#53 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

I also leave the membrane on. It takes marginally more elbow grease and can still be turned into quite a fine powder

RSKHFMY

#54 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

I know what I'm going to be doing with my egg shells next time! Lol!!!

#55 balefire

balefire

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:18 AM

I pretty much do what NightshadeMoon does; I rinse the eggshells and then leave them in sunlight to dry a few days. Once they are dry; I crush them and then leave them in the open air a few more days before I bag them.

#56 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, me too. I use some for the spell work, but most of it I simply powder it and - eat it. It's good for the bones. I'm a crone, so I gotta take care of my bones ;-) Seriously, there were clinical studies done on the effects of eating eggshells on the bones of menopausal women and it turned out to be effective.

"There are some who may seem -seem not- as others seem,

who walk life's ragged mile

hid' beneath Man's common guise.

Yet such are they that seem by day,

who walk abroad by night."

#57 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:06 PM

@Nera- So after I got done throwing up a little:), I decided that that ingesting actually sound like a good idea. I have early onset arthritis. Sooo, do you have any article links to share in regards to that?

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#58 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15018022 http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12064336

Edited by Nera, 25 July 2016 - 09:41 PM.

#59 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

http://www.mamanatur...gshell-calcium/
...and there are many alternative medicine websites that recommend it as well, like this one ^ (or just google it)

#60 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

The articles you posted great.  Thank you.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe