Anna Riva Oils

BellaFae

Does anyone us these and are they any better than other oils? I just wanted to know your opinions of these. They have intrigued me but I have been known to fall prey to marketing gimmicks!

Funny story:

Several years ago, before I had the chance to go to New Orleans myself for the first time, a friend of mine was going. So I paged through all the different catalogs I had and made up a wish list of items for him to bring back for me. Quite a few oils were on it, including some Anna Riva stuff.

My completely non-magical buddy happened to walk into a shop called Esoterica Occult Goods and haplessly handed my list to whomever was behind the counter. He returned to me with a lot of the items I asked for along with some subsitutions, and with my list. Whoever helped him wrote expalnatory notes on my list and scrawled "Throw away all Anna Riva book now!" at the top.

Needless to say I still have the list with its scrawled commentary (just dug it out of my desk to make sure I got the wording right). But I still have no idea if any of her stuff is any good or not!

Cheers,

Constance

Throw away all Anna Riva books now

Well I have an Anna Riva book and they are fine. I wander if its because she is not fluffy wiccan andputs curses in her books?

The only thing i can think of is that when her books give you a recipe it uses her own oils, nothing wrong with that if you can get hold of them ;)

I have several of her oils. I researched her products (I know I'm weird) and pretty much found that the herbs were grown organically, harvested properly, and did not have a lot of garbage added to them. Hope that helps. ;)

Damn...I am REALLY out of the loop when it comes to names and stuff LOL!!! I have never heard of this chick but she sounds like my type of girl LOL! I'll have to look into getting some of her oils and stuff :)

Guest 53rdspirit

The fragranced oils of Riva's I personally own are Civet and Spirit Guide. I just like the scent of the Spirit Guide and have purchased it in the past just to wear because it smells so "clean" and fresh.

I own two of Riva's books (more like "booklets") on talismans/sigils and seance. I had others in the past, but sold them.

Guess I'm weird, I prefer to make my own.

Now for perfume oils...my absolute favorite is www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com . The creativity in the formulary is awesome. The Ars Moriendi section is very cool.

Here's a sample:

DANSE MACABRE

An allegorical expression of the ineffable, indisputable triumph of death, generally expressed in medieval artwork as a violin or flute-wielding skeleton leading a procession of dancers to their graves. Black cypress with oakmoss, frankincense, oude, and a sliver of toasted hazelnut.

An allegorical expression of the ineffable, indisputable triumph of death, generally expressed in medieval artwork as aThe waves were dead; the tides were in their grave,

The waves were dead; the tides were in their grave,

The moon, their mistress, had expir'd before;

The winds were wither'd in the stagnant air,

And the clouds perish'd; Darkness had no need

Of aid from them -- She was the Universe.</I>

Bottled gloom; the essence of oblivion. Blackest opium and narcissus deepened by myrrh.

</I>The moon, their mistress, had expir'd befoniverse.</I>

Bottled gloom; the essence of oblivion. Blackest opium and narcissus deepened by myrrh. violin or flute-wielding skeleton leading a procession of dancers to their graves. Black cypress with oakmoss, frankincense, oude, and a sliver of toasted hazelnut.

Guess I'm weird, I prefer to make my own.

Hows that wierd? im sure most people would make their own if they could , i know I do... then again im wierd :D lol

No i think sometimes if you done have time or money for a lot of different ingredients then one or two ready mades would be a great idea.

Hows that wierd? im sure most people would make their own if they could , i know I do... then again im wierd :D lol

No i think sometimes if you done have time or money for a lot of different ingredients then one or two ready mades would be a great idea.

Time is the biggest problem for me so I have to use what I can get on the internet most of the time. Maybe one of these days I'll get to make my own oil, soaps, etc. I would love to do that.

I'd love to make my own oils, but honestly, when I find a reputable supplier, I'd just as soon purchase them. Making a true, pure essential oil isn't the easiest thing in the world, plus it takes a lot of time that I don't have.

I will take the purchased oils and make my own blends, however... :cool:

I like Mountain Rose Herbs' stuff. :cool:

Guest 53rdspirit

I make/grow/gather/dry/put in oil most of my things, but I don't make EVERYTHING (like soap, candles, essential oils). I sew and craft and grow and cook and clean, and, and...somewhere in there I've got a life.

I do have candlemaking books and some molds, but I have not gotten around to actually making candles. I have books on perfumery, sprays, creams, etc.--I have only touched on those. I also want to write a book. All things I want to do, eventually.

Maybe, I should do some spellwork on myself.:banana:

I make/grow/gather/dry/put in oil most of my things, but I don't make EVERYTHING (like soap, candles, essential oils). I sew and craft and grow and cook and clean, and, and...somewhere in there I've got a life.

I do have candlemaking books and some molds, but I have not gotten around to actually making candles. I have books on perfumery, sprays, creams, etc.--I have only touched on those. I also want to write a book. All things I want to do, eventually.

Maybe, I should do some spellwork on myself.:banana:

If you want to make candles, here is a great informative message board

http://candletech.com/forums/ Spell candles are easy to make. I want to start making my own. I just don't have the right wax at the moment. I mostly make scented candles right now.

Well I have an Anna Riva book and they are fine. I wander if its because she is not fluffy wiccan andputs curses in her books?

The only thing i can think of is that when her books give you a recipe it uses her own oils, nothing wrong with that if you can get hold of them ;)

Perhaps that is it. Mysteriously, the shop in question was all out of graveyard dust, coffin nails, and war water (in fact, the clerk told my buddy that you could no longer purchase some of these commercially).

Perhaps that is it. Mysteriously, the shop in question was all out of graveyard dust, coffin nails, and war water (in fact, the clerk told my buddy that you could no longer purchase some of these commercially).

Ok...coffin nails can be subsituted for regular iron nails...war water and graveyard dust I can either make and send it to you (if you want) or make your own... :)

Ok...coffin nails can be subsituted for regular iron nails...war water and graveyard dust I can either make and send it to you (if you want) or make your own... :)

Oooh thanks so much for the offer. I make my own now -- this was about 12 years ago that I was on the hunt! Thanks very much though!

How do you make war water and graveyard dirt? I would be interested in making my own sometime

Hang on I'll post that in the spell section :)

Dunno if what I do is the "real deal" or not, but I do the following:

War water: Non-anodized nails in water until the water turns a nice rusty shade. The shade of red I get when doing this is very nice. I shake it each day at the same time (and if I'm making it for a specific purpsoe, focus on the purpose at that time).

Graveyard dirt:

1) Snag some dirt from a grave site. I usually pick an older cemetery and I'm sure to leave something in return along with my thanks. There are more elaboreate methods people use that entail doing stuff to get the grave occupant on your side of whatever conflict, but I don't usually go that far.

2) Or dust/dirt from the grave marker itself -- surprisingly hard to find at times, but much easier to pick up without causing notice if there are people around.

3) To make it into goofer dust, you can add stuff to the dirt like red pepper or other interesting herbs.

Anna Riva oils from the book are ok. Unfortunately the manufacturers now aren't sticking to the formulas, and aren't too worried about it. I get all my oils from a UK company called www.eoco.org.uk or baldwins, then make up mixes myself. I'm currently doing a BSc Medical Herbalism, so have access to pretty much anything I want/need.

Jon/ Baph

Archived