Photo
- - - - -

open fires

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Dose anyone know where I can find some witchy type fire back plates 4 open fire, searched a few sites but nothing that jumps out at me

#2 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Dose anyone know where I can find some witchy type fire back plates 4 open fire, searched a few sites but nothing that jumps out at me

Hi Aurora,

I'm not sure what you mean, are these for an open pit fire, or tiles that would possibly fit a traditional fire place ? Or are these

fire safe dishes ? LOL ! I'm cornfuuusssed.:help: :huh:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#3 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hello Gypsy
Oh ok sorry,what I meant was for an open fire the back plate goes up against the wall behind the fire basket its to protect the birckwork from crumbling or cracking ,which is what's happening at the moment
Its an inglenook fireplace,that means its wall to wall wide and several feet in depth the basket for the logs sits in the middle.you can get some very ornate cast iron ones just can't one that says buy meee
Im yours lol that dosen't cost a small fortune. Sorry my bad for not explaining it correctly

#4 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hey Aurora,

Am I correct in visualizing what you need is what I would term as a Firewall. A large metal wall that would cover the bricks, and keep them in their place ? LOL !

I googled Inglenook Fireplaces.................. wow ......... stunning !! I bet our Gramayr could be helpful in this, or at least know just possibly what you may need to remedy your situation. I could pop off a message to him for you, or you could do it yourself. He's use to me bugging him. lol !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#5 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hi Gypsy
Yep that's it lol that would be lovely I'll let you bug him he he. Thank you

#6 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

No need, saw this thread last night and know what a fireback is. I googled a few places but nothing 'witchy' came up. No idea what you mean by witchy btw - cats on brooms? Pentagrams? I don't know lol. It's what you do with it rather than what it looks like - but that's just me.
All I can think of is find a plain one and rivet something onto it or find a blacksmith to make you one. A flattened couldron might work?
Reclamation yards may be a place to look for an old one, the history of an object can give it a quality of its own.
Anyway, good luck I hope you find one - post it up if you do :)

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#7 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

Hello Gramayr
I found some lovely gothic ones with the pentagram on but they were far to expensive, sorry if I came across as flippant in regards to something ( witchy) I meant something quirky/ humorous ie the elements or possibly witch on a broomstick Lol. I thought it would be more enjoyable for family/friends thefewthat I have (totally anti social) im in a very rural village on a tiny lane a hop skip and jump away from a lovely secluded crossroad (yes I have used it) if and when I invited some one they saw a huge pentagram in the hearth they ed run a mile well maybe 5 to get away, not that I would care but I wouldn't want my sons to suffer or hear that I eat babies while having sex with the devil lol not that im suggesting that you told me to have a pentagram oh gosh im rambling arn't I yep ok well nice to meet you im just going to go and tell myself off or hide (change my name) lol

#8 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

No need to change your name lol, I didn't think you were being flippant - quirky/humorous sounds good. The few I did see we're expensive I agree, the price of metal has a bit to do with it I guess, even scrap metal is on the up. Not sure what else I could suggest as it would need to be made of iron (steel doesn't hold the heat as much). How about a manhole cover? It's different, should do the job till you find something better. No idea how much it would be to have a plain one made then drill a design onto it afterwards.
I'd love a proper inglenook fireplace that you can sit in. Whilst visiting the museum in Kirkwall Orkney, one of the rooms was quite small - it then dawned on me when I looked up that I was actually stood in a large inglenook fireplace that they had converted.
If I see anything I'll post it up, might be something on fleabay?

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#9 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

A man hole cover what a cracking idea! Tnx 4 that

#10 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

A man hole cover what a cracking idea! Tnx 4 that

Just don't go pinching one off the street ;) otherwise... :whistling: :biggrin:

#11 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Lol
Who little ol me,as if just sent the boys down the lane,came back with a road sign it said danger man hole cover missing. (Hee hee)

#12 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Lol
Who little ol me,as if just sent the boys down the lane,came back with a road sign it said danger man hole cover missing. (Hee hee)

..erm, three more people have had accidents since then... I know who to blame lol (and I expect 'Claims Direct' will make a few quid as well)

#13 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Fire is on and glowing but alas still no fire back. I have been so busy all summer and did have a flick at a few but the nice ones come from to far away and now, winter is knocking at my door.

#14 Theneva

Theneva

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

I goggled antique and medieval firebacks and found this one site so far... http://www.firebacks...-and-firebacks/

Couldn't find anything anywhere else that is based in America.

It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.

~Sally Kempton

Theneva~ Theneu, Thenu, and Denw. The daughter of a Pictish king.

(I believe this over the xtianized name explanation)

#15 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

Nice!! Thanks

#16 Theneva

Theneva

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Nice!! Thanks

Welcome!! Happy to help. :vhappywitch:

It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.

~Sally Kempton

Theneva~ Theneu, Thenu, and Denw. The daughter of a Pictish king.

(I believe this over the xtianized name explanation)

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

I have had the worst time trying to find a (non-charcoal) way to burn (not melt in candle wax - but actually burn and thereby transform) plants. Being inside a caravan it is just not practical (or safe) to have an open fire. And outside isn't going to work as I don't spend ages sitting out there gazing into flames and even with a firepit (which I did go out and buy) one can't leave them unattended and it's a waste for me to light a log fire for a 15 minute working then douse the whole pit. 

So far I am just using a metal tea strainer that I fill with the plants/trees/herbs and then hold it over a candle flame to completely burn them to ash. But it's just not the same feeling as winging a handful of matter into an open fire-place while actively moving and invoking, lol. For some things - like whispered workings - it is okay, but for things that involve more movement, more decibles, the action doesn't match the feeling.

M

#18 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Have you tried those small barbecue things. The ones you can use on a beach.They are about 30 inch by 30 inch.

#19 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Actually CG gave me a good tip re the fire-lighting squares... they burn for 8 to 12 minutes and are non-toxic so can be used inside in a small enclosed area which is where I would be needing the fire, lol...

M

#20 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hey Michele, I saw a link this morning & thought of you:

1381400_662147467140768_2080852133_n.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...rranchiathst-20

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website