Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kupala

child wants magic powers

I know that children have been discussed before, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for...

(yes, I need *specifics*, :stars:)

My eldest is 5. Recently he has become *obsessed* with doing magic. I gave him a "magic wishing necklace" when he lost his second tooth and now he is pestering me constantly about how he wants a *real* magic wand to do *real* spells with. He becomes quite agitated over it. When I asked him why he wanted a magic wand, he said he needs "real magic powers" (but of course he doesn't elaborate...typical 5 yr old).

Any other parents want to help me out a little? I can't tell him magic isn't real because I've already told him that it is. I did also tell him that "magic isn't like Harry Potter" but he thinks what he sees on TV & hears about in books & our bedtime stories must be real (including all the witches with green skin, lol). I tell him lots of fantastical stories involving magic, flying and dragons...

What should I do? Help! He told me he wants to do a real spell and have it really, really come true. He wants to fly, he said--he wants magic wings. When I told him we could make some out of paper and he could pretend to fly, he got very upset. Then I tried the whole "you can fly in your dreams" thing, which he liked. But he keeps bugging me for that magic wand.

I really screwed myself with this one, didn't I?

(I know, I know, a public forum is not my blog...)

So far I've been doing a bit of a crap job on the "raising kids pagan" front--they learn about nature and the stars, and we do celebrate solstices and equinoxes, but that's about it--my SO is an agnostic who is not exactly comfortable with my being pagan (he thinks I'm Wiccan! Well, I *was*--I think he'd sh*t a brick if he knew I've veered off into "THAT" kind of witchcraft.) <--anyway, that's kind of OT.

I am a mum of young children...based on this and my own childhood yearnings, I say this is normal behavior and just do what fits your values and instincts.

I may be a learning, evolving witch but I don't view my practice and studies as a religion. I am not sure if you do..my apologies if I misread. I simply tell the kids magic is real and they see evidence of the craft in the house. As to a 5 year old wanting spells and wands and power (that's part of it, non), this instance should be no different than if he declared he wanted champagne and oysters. I mean he can want it,he can see you consume, but, doesn't mean he is ready to eat. You are the mum... I would just involve him as you see fit, in keeping with your beliefs and ignore the requests for wands. My 8 year old is one angry sensitive dude...he wants to hex half the world right now...but doesn't mean I will let him. I hope this post is helpful. Good luck! :-)

I wanted to add... I also think you shouldn't be to hard on yourself about "raising him pagan traditions". Expose your child as you can and let him figure out his way too...think of children raised in strong Christian or Islamic traditions who rebel...he will find his own path...it will be great if you create strong loving memories but ultimately his path is his own. (=mental note to self:. Reread post when my own son is 16.)

As to a 5 year old wanting spells and wands and power (that's part of it, non), this instance should be no different than if he declared he wanted champagne and oysters. I mean he can want it,he can see you consume, but, doesn't mean he is ready to eat. You are the mum... I would just involve him as you see fit, in keeping with your beliefs and ignore the requests for wands. My 8 year old is one angry sensitive dude...he wants to hex half the world right now...but doesn't mean I will let him. I hope this post is helpful. Good luck! :-)

Completely agree, voted this up.

I would try making him understand that there are foundational concepts to be learned before the things he wants can be understood, and work with him on those. Maybe you could work with him on learning to draw something to him, such as a butterfly or something equally safe, to give him a focus for his desire to learn, and a visible result of success. Help him make a 'wand' for it to land on. Projection is another way to teach 'flying', if you're comfortable with him beginning to learn that at his age. My daughter is the same age, and personally I don't teach her much beyond protection at this point. Keep us updated on how it goes! :)

Sounds like a typical witch child to me! When one of my coven's little ones was wishing for fantstic things we pointed out how they might happen, but in unexpected ways. And why not make him a wand? The kids in our group have many, if you are afraid of him hurting himself, make it out of rolled paper and decorate it, if he falls on it, it will just break and if he hits kids or animals with it it won't hurt much, maybe a paper cut ouch.

I am a mum of young children...based on this and my own childhood yearnings, I say this is normal behavior and just do what fits your values and instincts.

I may be a learning, evolving witch but I don't view my practice and studies as a religion. I am not sure if you do..my apologies if I misread. I simply tell the kids magic is real and they see evidence of the craft in the house. As to a 5 year old wanting spells and wands and power (that's part of it, non), this instance should be no different than if he declared he wanted champagne and oysters. I mean he can want it,he can see you consume, but, doesn't mean he is ready to eat. You are the mum... I would just involve him as you see fit, in keeping with your beliefs and ignore the requests for wands. My 8 year old is one angry sensitive dude...he wants to hex half the world right now...but doesn't mean I will let him. I hope this post is helpful. Good luck! :-)

I wanted to add... I also think you shouldn't be to hard on yourself about "raising him pagan traditions". Expose your child as you can and let him figure out his way too...think of children raised in strong Christian or Islamic traditions who rebel...he will find his own path...it will be great if you create strong loving memories but ultimately his path is his own. (=mental note to self:. Reread post when my own son is 16.)

Completely agree, voted this up.

I would try making him understand that there are foundational concepts to be learned before the things he wants can be understood, and work with him on those. Maybe you could work with him on learning to draw something to him, such as a butterfly or something equally safe, to give him a focus for his desire to learn, and a visible result of success. Help him make a 'wand' for it to land on. Projection is another way to teach 'flying', if you're comfortable with him beginning to learn that at his age. My daughter is the same age, and personally I don't teach her much beyond protection at this point. Keep us updated on how it goes! :)

These both filled with great advice which I agree with. He's at the stage where he hasn't separated fantasy from reality yet hence his longing for "Harry Potter type magic". You could gently guide him so his perception of magic is more inline with reality. To do that, you could try encouraging the natural tendancies that children have by playing little games and having little outings. You could make a game by sending each other images and words. In the same vein as Aloe ( I love the butterfly idea), If you have pets try to see if he can get the pets attention or get the pet to come without speaking to them. Maybe you both could have a "Mommy and Me day" where you go to the park and point out different plants, try to find "faeries" and talk to the animals.

Children already do magic naturally like believing their teddy bear is real and will protect them from the ghosts and monsters. For children that is some powerful magic that works. They also like to collect rocks and things and have very active imaginations so maybe teach them how to "charge" a rock for good luck. Many children do that anyway at that age. If the 5 year old has older siblings, try to include them as well, because siblings can really undo the belief in magic part especially if they are school age.

Now, I know its personal choice what we teach our children so take and use what you will, but since you are a witch and practice I would teach him some basic protection and banishing. The only reason is that we as witches are a beacon for things unseen. Our houses can easily become Grand Central Station. Children should be equiped to protect themselves and send away things that are messing with them. If you want to go the Happy Potter route, teach them the Patronus trick. If they think of the happiest memory they can while saying, outloud, some "magic word" or even describing that memory outloud, then that should be an effective banishing for the "boogieman". Also, singing. They can sing a little happy song when they are feeling scared. Maybe make one up with him. Cartoons and tv shows are chaulk full of magic these days. For example, Absinthe brought up Disney's "Tangled". Take some inspiriation from the stuff he watches and turn it in to "real magic".

Thanks for this. Very good advice. And no, I don't really view my practices as religion...I do work with "powers that be" but I don't bow down and slavishly worship them... I meant to type "beliefs" not "religion".

I love the butterfly idea(altho we have to wait 4 months for butterflies at this point--anything that isn't a mosquito, lol--those don't need any help coming to a person!!). I will keep you updated. I'm not sure if I want him to do projection, I think I may try to get him working on lucid dreaming instead, and then I can work on it as well.

These both filled with great advice which I agree with. He's at the stage where he hasn't separated fantasy from reality yet hence his longing for "Harry Potter type magic". You could gently guide him so his perception of magic is more inline with reality. To do that, you could try encouraging the natural tendancies that children have by playing little games and having little outings. You could make a game by sending each other images and words. In the same vein as Aloe ( I love the butterfly idea), If you have pets try to see if he can get the pets attention or get the pet to come without speaking to them. Maybe you both could have a "Mommy and Me day" where you go to the park and point out different plants, try to find "faeries" and talk to the animals.

Children already do magic naturally like believing their teddy bear is real and will protect them from the ghosts and monsters. For children that is some powerful magic that works. They also like to collect rocks and things and have very active imaginations so maybe teach them how to "charge" a rock for good luck. Many children do that anyway at that age. If the 5 year old has older siblings, try to include them as well, because siblings can really undo the belief in magic part especially if they are school age.

Now, I know its personal choice what we teach our children so take and use what you will, but since you are a witch and practice I would teach him some basic protection and banishing. The only reason is that we as witches are a beacon for things unseen. Our houses can easily become Grand Central Station. Children should be equiped to protect themselves and send away things that are messing with them. If you want to go the Happy Potter route, teach them the Patronus trick. If they think of the happiest memory they can while saying, outloud, some "magic word" or even describing that memory outloud, then that should be an effective banishing for the "boogieman". Also, singing. They can sing a little happy song when they are feeling scared. Maybe make one up with him. Cartoons and tv shows are chaulk full of magic these days. For example, Absinthe brought up Disney's "Tangled". Take some inspiriation from the stuff he watches and turn it in to "real magic".

Thanks! I love the Patronus idea!

I think we will make a wand out of a stick today. We already have a wizard hat and some capes. I know his little brother will want one too. It will be fun to do wands and shielding and then have swords and "viking" shields (like in How to Train Your Dragon)...I guess to prove that you don't need a physical shield for protection.:witch2:

:thankyou:

I have a four year-old and a seven year-old, and I have included them in a lot of my magic. I like to take them into the woods with me when I am gathering plants, we have a specific ritual we use to thank the plants, and both of my children know to do this. We also build fairy houses (this is a neat crafty thing, you might google it). My seven year-old also has his own set of Runes and loves to play with them, he likes to read about their meanings, but he doesn't try any divination yet. The Runes were how I introduced them both to my craft, I created a spell involving the Runes to cleanse my sons room of negativity which we did together because he was scared to stay in his room by himself. I don't hide anything I do from my children, but I also rarely do anything that I wouldn't want them to see. The only things I exclude them from are things I would not do with anyone else around such as when I work with divinities, the dead, or hallucinagenic substances.... obviously those are experiences not meant to be shared.

I guess my advice in a nutshell is to try to incorporate them into your work where you can. And where you can't, explain that what you are doing is meant for adults and you will explain how when he is older. Children love the fantastical aspects of magic, and you are doing well to tell him the old stories. I am a firm believer that when we stop believeing magic is real, then it stops being real, so you are doing good work ingraning magic in the next generation.

What wonderful advice!

It makes me want to tell you about my four year old granddaughter, still small enough to sit in the baby part of the shopping trolley in the supermarket. My husband had wandered off in a different direction. My little one put her hands up to her face and mumbled into her fingers. I asked what she was doing and she said, "Just a quick spell to find Grandad." Sometimes I think there are things she could teach me instead of the other way around. She's definitely been here before.

What wonderful advice!

It makes me want to tell you about my four year old granddaughter, still small enough to sit in the baby part of the shopping trolley in the supermarket. My husband had wandered off in a different direction. My little one put her hands up to her face and mumbled into her fingers. I asked what she was doing and she said, "Just a quick spell to find Grandad." Sometimes I think there are things she could teach me instead of the other way around. She's definitely been here before.

Cute!

What wonderful advice!

Aww, that is so cute!

Update: Well, we made our wands. We have a dead diamond willow tree right next to the leach field (go figure). I broke these off the tree and we painted them gold and purple, then attached gold & blue ribbons. DS1's has a large quartz taped to the top. Now the only problem is that he wants to take it to school! He told everyone at school today that it was going to be a fully-functional magic wand by the full moon (because I told him he could charge it on the full moon). :lolol: