Why do we choose to call ourselves witches?

Betula

Why do we choose to call ourselves witches?

I thought this topic might make for some interesting discussion. Maybe it's already covered on this forum and I'm just not proficient enough to find it through the search engine. It seems so obvious in some ways that maybe the question seems silly. I'm quite the nerd when it comes to words, I find etymology and how the meaning of words change over the ages fascinating.

Wikipedia covers the origines of the word "witch" quite extensivly but appearently there's not a real consensus to the exact origin of the word. In Swedish the word for witch is "häxa" - probably from the verb "to hex" I imagine. I think it's similar in other Germanic languages and you have the word "hagtesse" in English as well. The French word is "sorcier/sorcière" - it's of Latin origin and the Latin means "fortuneteller" and in another form "divination, destiny". The Spanish "Bruja" - possibly of Gothic origin, I'm not proficient enough in Spanish to be more precise.

The words "witchcraft" and "witch" have such negative connotations over the ages and still do for some people. To call someone a bitch in Swedish you would call them a witch... Just an example. I wonder if the people, we on this forum, think of when we speak of Traditional Witchcraft and the Old Ways would have refered to themselves as witches? Do we call ourselves witches to take back some of the power of the word and honor those who died in the name of witchcraft? Maybe the word in itself has power?

Any thoughts? Why do you choose to call yourself a witch? Did you always do so or was there a realisation over time that this term did fit your way of life and your practice?

Maybe I'm just rambling here - since the practice of magic in different forms is usually refered to as witchcraft, maybe the question is of no interest, somehow though I believe it's important how we choose to define ourselves.

Hey - it has been discussed, fought over, argued over, agreed over, etc., lol!! I'm not overly good with the search button, either - I tried putting in "witch" and "witches" but came up with so many hits it would have taken hours to go throught them - anyone remember the actual name of the thread??? I'll see if I can play about with the search button some more...

M

http://www.traditionalwitch.net/forums/topic/7743-witch/

Not to discourage you Betula from Posting, yet there are even more Posts/Threads as to offer clarity regarding the use of the word " Witch ".

I'm not 100% sure, but there are also quite a few Posts/Threads about the forum, regarding the word " Craft " and why that word, is accepted by the majority. If I'm not mistaken, our anjeanot was one of the threaders to this post, and shown a great light for clarity.

Perhaps our Peers will offer some more links to these well responded Posts/Threads.

Sometimes the " Search feature " is a bit precarious, but I've found it useful. I've been encouraged to 'bump' up a post or two in my day. As I grew together on and with my Path, my concepts of it has changed, and sometimes another's (Peer's) thought process has been invaluable to me.

Regards,

Gypsy

Thank you both, I'm reading the thread Michele posted, I'll look at yours, Gypsy, later. I have read through the pinned posts on what craft means to the users of this forum etc, but I have the attention span of a chicken and I forget things quickly. I also enjoy "live" conversation, however, I understand that it's boring for those of you who took part in the original threads, so I'll try my best not to spam this site with topics that's been covered again and again. Thanks again.

Knowing offhand some of the keywords used in recent similar topics, I ran a quick search on the terms, "witch connotation wizard" under "Forums" and got this result:

http://www.traditionalwitch.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

There was a very recent conversation started by Panis, it's still relatively "live", I think.

Greetings Betula, All

Actually I have been thinking about this again recently ....

Despite my long posts in the past where I have argued against the whole beneficent views simply because they are the exception historically rather than the rule these days I take a slightly different route. I suppose that largely that came out of writing out screeds of research and having people just reply with: "No I think you are wrong BECAUSE I think you are ..." or simple misdirection. Even a head as hard as mine gets tired of belting against brick walls eventually! lol

I consider the use a human trait - much like the one that led to the fashion years ago for the phrase:

"Life's a bitch ... and now so am I!"

Personally, every one who I have worked with who has used the term advisedly over the last nigh three decades now (sheesh) winds up admitting that it has a lot to do with shedding the need to be thought of as a "good guy"and that it is in such a POV that it tends to surface.

That said obviously the vast majority of people in the modernist newage circles use it for precisely the opposite reasons, demanding that history change to suit their views .. *Shrugs* but then again they are like that ... and say much the same of me! lol

Fraternally

Scott

Personally, every one who I have worked with who has used the term advisedly over the last nigh three decades now (sheesh) winds up admitting that it has a lot to do with shedding the need to be thought of as a "good guy"and that it is in such a POV that it tends to surface.

That said obviously the vast majority of people in the modernist newage circles use it for precisely the opposite reasons, demanding that history change to suit their views .. *Shrugs* but then again they are like that ... and say much the same of me! lol

Fraternally

Scott

I can much better understand the former POV than the latter.

One of the benefits of recorded history is that we learn (well..supposedly anyway) from our mistakes.

Those who revise history only doom others to repeat it.

Greetings Grymdycche,

I can much better understand the former POV than the latter.

One of the benefits of recorded history is that we learn (well..supposedly anyway) from our mistakes.

Those who revise history only doom others to repeat it.

Very true .. but hey these days what matters to most of em is how big their Good Guy Badge is and how well it can shine when rubbed with popularity. This is of course to say nothing of the fact that these ideas if you want something changed (no mater how nonsensical) all you gotta do is whinge loud and long enough.

*Shrugs* Personally I think it is hell in a handbasket waiting to happen but hey that's me. lol

Fraternally

Scott

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

To be perfectly fair, I am not sure I have ever called myself a witch, only that I practice traditional witchcraft.

The only people I discuss my activities with are on TW, and since I've already established myself as being in the crafty camp I don't particularly feel the need to bring it up and remind people.

Nor do I have a very strong attachment to the word. I know some people must place great significance on being a witch, and they own the word with pride; I just don't. Maybe that will change some day.

In the end, I do not call myself anything because I have very little need to. Titles are for communication and I'm not communicating with anyone or any thing right now who wants to know what I "am". Whenever that changes, I'm sure I will find and appropriate answer for them.

Because all of the other titles have been filled tongue.gif

This fits perfectly...

I feel the term "witch" fits someone that is not of any particular religion. They do what suits the purpose at the moment by using instinct to put intent into action. One that does not follow another, but does what feels right, regardless of what may be proper to another. Using natural energies & intuit, shit happens. :wink: