29 replies to this topic

#21 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Oh goodness, I didn't perceive it negatively at all!  I've read this thread a couple of times before and have had the second part of my response in my head for a few weeks   :blush:

okey doke. :)  Yeah I was worried there for a bit when I read your post!  I'm glad you didn't, just me being over anxious. ;)

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#22 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

Bravo and well said.

It is true that some do tend to go a little overboard or 'tryhard' (sounds mean I know) when first joining but I would hope that they learn that every single one of us here are different and do things differently (seriously, in the length of time I've been here I don't think I've seen two witches who practice the same here) so I would add:

Please be mindful when introducing yourself, we like newbies but we like newbies who think before they type.

I can't exactly recall but I'm pretty sure I tried really hard to fit in when I first came :biggrin: Hopefully I didn't say *too* many embarrassing things, although I still refuse to read my own posts before this year. (Probably next year I will refuse to read posts from 2014! Lol)

I think one of the reasons I worked so hard was because I was comparing myself to witches who had been practicing much longer than I have been alive, so I felt it was horribly important to impress people by adopting opinions I thought they would approve of. Unfortunately I suspect people saw right through me.

I feel I get along much better now that I just use my own real opinions instead of trying to mimic other people. And it makes me feel more comfortable in my own virtual skin as well.

Edited by Wexler, 07 May 2014 - 01:01 AM.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#23 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

Wexler, that's exactly the reason why I read my earlier posts on forums. I want to know what I did to fit in and how that changed my own ideas. But I'm usually embarrassed of the things I said that used to be my own opinion. Maybe because a few months later, it's obvious that I didn't fit in at the moment because of the things I said. Or because I was just too new on a forum to be fitting in wiht the other members.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#24 witchywolf

witchywolf

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

i like this post, and i know from the newbie standpoint it's hard to get worked into the community (not that anyone here has really made things uncomfortable) and get to know new people. i'm shy as it is in public, and on here (by here i mean internet chat) it seems worse, because you can't see facial expressions, you can't hear tone of voice, and there are things that can get very easily misconstrued through even texting. for someone like me and a few others who don't do online chat very much it's hard to get used introducing yourself to people. plus when you're trying to fit into a community that's so widely diverse its tricky to word something without unintentionally offending someone. 

#25 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

I think the OP was saying that some newbies were trying to fit in by insulting certain ways of practicing witchcraft... thus insulting TW's who enjoy wearing robes, using daggers, performing rituals...etc.  

Insults aren't the way to make friends.

Trying to impress others by putting down how someone else practices, or saying my way is superior to yours is offensive. No matter where or who you are. 

It can be scary to enter into an arena where many experienced witches read what you write.

It takes guts to put yourself out there, however, the fastest way to piss people off is to insult their craft. Not a good idea for anyone, newbie or not. 

My pet peeve with practice is wicca. I want a wicca-free zone...damn it.... yet it keeps creeping-up time and again (boo's & hisses) 

What I love about Trad. Witchcraft is that isn't a handbook. Just laws.  How energy is used or manipulated is fascinating to me. Seeing how other witches practice is an endless source of discovery ....whether it mirrors my own practice or not.

Each one of us has our own unique set of talents and expresses those gifts various ways. 

Also, I think personal growth has a lot to do with earlier cringe-worthy posts... unless of course they were bullshit written just to fit in...  which brings us back to... be respectful to how others craft.... while honoring your own personal path. 

You do your craft. 

I do mine. 

Period.  

This thread should be bumped every few months as a kindly reminder...lol. 

Edited to correct typo in line one: changed 'we' to WERE. 

Edited by Nikki, 08 May 2014 - 09:41 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#26 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:04 AM

I think the OP was saying that some newbies we trying to fit in by insulting certain ways of practicing witchcraft... thus insulting TW's who enjoy wearing robes, using daggers, performing rituals...etc.  

Trying to impress others by putting down how someone else practices, or saying my way is superior to yours is offensive. No matter where or who you are. 

It can be scary to enter into an arena where many experienced witches read what you write.

It takes guts to put yourself out there, however, the fastest way to piss people off is to insult their craft. Not a good idea for anyone, newbie or not. 

My pet peeve with practice is wicca. I want a wicca-free zone...damn it.... yet it keeps creeping-up time and again (boo's & hisses) 

What I love about Trad. Witchcraft is that isn't a handbook. Just laws.  How energy is used or manipulated is fascinating to me. Seeing how other witches practice is an endless source of discovery ....whether it mirrors my own practice or not.

Each one of us has our own unique set of talents and expresses those gifts various ways. 

Also, I think personal growth has a lot to do with earlier cringe-worthy posts... unless of course they were bullshit written just to fit in...  which brings us back to... be respectful to how others craft.... while honoring your own personal path. 

You do your craft. 

I do mine. 

Period.  

Yeah I can dig it!  :)  I'll second all that.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#27 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

I think the OP was saying that some newbies we trying to fit in by insulting certain ways of practicing witchcraft... thus insulting TW's who enjoy wearing robes, using daggers, performing rituals...etc.  

You do your craft. 

I do mine. 

Period.  

Great post Nikki, says it like it is x

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#28 LynnBay

LynnBay

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

i like this post, and i know from the newbie standpoint it's hard to get worked into the community (not that anyone here has really made things uncomfortable) and get to know new people. i'm shy as it is in public, and on here (by here i mean internet chat) it seems worse, because you can't see facial expressions, you can't hear tone of voice, and there are things that can get very easily misconstrued through even texting. for someone like me and a few others who don't do online chat very much it's hard to get used introducing yourself to people. plus when you're trying to fit into a community that's so widely diverse its tricky to word something without unintentionally offending someone. 

I could't agree more. It's so easy to misconstrue what someone is saying online vs. in person and when you are more reserved or introverted it can make it 10x harder. 

~Lynn by the Bay 

A Witch's Work is Never Done. 

#29 LynnBay

LynnBay

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

I think the OP was saying that some newbies were trying to fit in by insulting certain ways of practicing witchcraft... thus insulting TW's who enjoy wearing robes, using daggers, performing rituals...etc.  

You do your craft. 

I do mine. 

Period.  

Such good points. Here here!  :thumbsup: 

~Lynn by the Bay 

A Witch's Work is Never Done. 

#30 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

You do your craft. 

I do mine. 

Period.  

Great post!  I agree 100%