#1 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

POPULAR

It seems to be the popular thing for new seekers making out their introduction to bash other ways of practice than their own, based on assumptions of what we trad witches are like. They assume they will find like minds who will join in the insults to other ways of practice. Perhaps they think their insults to their perceived outsiders and others will endear them to us. Posted Image

I'll let you in on a secret:
Some of us like dressing up
Some of us use ceremony
Some of us use tools

Here's a tip, get to know us before you come in and spout off in ways that will not endear you to the regulars.

We like new seekers, we will give you the benefit of the doubt if you give us a little credit.

A suggestion, tell us about what you are, rather than what you aren't. It is easy enough to say, I like to use soil and sticks and spices and pans, I wear my regular clothes when casting and I tend to keep things minimal with few tools and unscripted moments.

There is zero wrong with dressing in your regular clothes, using the natural things around in a simple manner--and many of us here are like that. But you could be missing your chance to get to know some awesome witches who do collect crystals, dress up for Ren faires, plan lovely ceremonies and rituals and/or have a few skulls in their collection, who may well be some of the coolest witches you might ever get to know! if you use your intro to demean such practices.

I am not one to use crystals much myself, but one of my favorite regulars on this community does and she is one hell of a witch! I like a little ceremony, but mostly keep things simple, but again there are a few witches on here who knock the pants off with their magic rituals.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#2 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Diversity is a pretty awesome thing. :) We certainly don't fit into any group mold here, the discussions wouldn't be half as interesting if we did.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#3 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

:clap: Bravo. Well said.
~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#4 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Can I add (and please forgive me for copying your style, S):

some of us work with deities and some are atheists.
some of us prefer the lighter side and some of us dance in the dark
some of us don't know what we'll be up to our nose in next
Some of us would rather not have labels in the first place

Edited by Abhainn, 14 February 2012 - 11:38 PM.

~ Abhainn

hagstones.blogspot.com

#5 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

We are Peers here, and as a Peer, I choose to vote up all my Peer's comments, as they all show wisdom and all are very skillful on their Paths.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#6 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

Bravo and well said.

It is true that some do tend to go a little overboard or 'tryhard' (sounds mean I know) when first joining but I would hope that they learn that every single one of us here are different and do things differently (seriously, in the length of time I've been here I don't think I've seen two witches who practice the same here) so I would add:

Please be mindful when introducing yourself, we like newbies but we like newbies who think before they type.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#7 Snowseed

Snowseed

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

And I respect that. I think a lot of folks, including myself, get tired of feeling like we're not "witchy" or "pagan-esque" enough if we don't do that stuff. I sort of have a feeling of being torn on those issues. It all boils down to how you choose to use symbolism and how it works for you. If wearing a bunny suit lets you be a better witch, do it.

I don't precisely know who I am yet, in terms of rituals and symbols and what works for me, and I know better what doesn't work for me. I know where I'm not satisfied. And maybe that's good; it keeps driving me forward to do different things. Every form of symbolism is initially powerful to learn. And I've picked up things I once reached the end of and been surprised how little I really knew, like herbalism and western folk medicine. (Give me a tiny glass cup and a source of fire and I can amuse myself for weeks and possibly do something useful.)

But if I said something insulting, I apologize.

#8 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

And I respect that. I think a lot of folks, including myself, get tired of feeling like we're not "witchy" or "pagan-esque" enough if we don't do that stuff. I sort of have a feeling of being torn on those issues. It all boils down to how you choose to use symbolism and how it works for you. If wearing a bunny suit lets you be a better witch, do it.

I don't precisely know who I am yet, in terms of rituals and symbols and what works for me, and I know better what doesn't work for me. I know where I'm not satisfied. And maybe that's good; it keeps driving me forward to do different things. Every form of symbolism is initially powerful to learn. And I've picked up things I once reached the end of and been surprised how little I really knew, like herbalism and western folk medicine. (Give me a tiny glass cup and a source of fire and I can amuse myself for weeks and possibly do something useful.)

But if I said something insulting, I apologize.

Yeah the quip about the bunny suit wasn't terribly thoughful... i come here to talk about witchcraft not to have my choice of whether to dress up for special events mocked. I might be missing some of your humor here. I am sure once i get to know you i will get your meaning easier.

But I understand you are tired of being told you are less of a witch because of how you practice, we will try not to do that to you, please accord us the same :-)

You are coming here as a seeker, looking for a place you can be yourself, you can do that here. Just relax a little and realize we will accept you for who you are and how you practice if you do the same for us.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#9 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

I think a lot of folks, including myself, get tired of feeling like we're not "witchy" or "pagan-esque" enough if we don't do that stuff. I sort of have a feeling of being torn on those issues. It all boils down to how you choose to use symbolism and how it works for you. If wearing a bunny suit lets you be a better witch, do it.

We're not stereotypical like that. We're pretty normal. Some of us don't want people to know about our craft. Jevne calls it "hiding in plain sight." I'm not going to be brazenly pagan-witchy unless I'm going to RenFest, and then I'm gonna go all out because it's fun. :flyaway:

Don't be afraid to be yourself here. Your wisdom and insight and experience make your presence welcome.

~ Abhainn

hagstones.blogspot.com

#10 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

There are too many good bits to multiquote so :clap: to all the posts I voted up.

#11 anjeaunot

anjeaunot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Some intros are either a feast or a famine.

The newbies either reveal too little about themselves, or else some try to ingratiate themselves by demeaning practices which they imagine we frown upon.

In the latter instance, they may be reading too much into our sub-heading “The Non-Wiccan Witch Community”.

Members here are too diversified to fit a specific mould.

That is the strength of this community!

#12 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Bumpie bump

#13 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

It seems to be the popular thing for new seekers making out their introduction to bash other ways of practice than their own, based on assumptions of what we trad witches are like. They assume they will find like minds who will join in the insults to other ways of practice. Perhaps they think their insults to their perceived outsiders and others will endear them to us. :pumpkin_rolleyes:I'll let you in on a secret:Some of us like dressing upSome of us use ceremonySome of us use toolsHere's a tip, get to know us before you come in and spout off in ways that will not endear you to the regulars.We like new seekers, we will give you the benefit of the doubt if you give us a little credit.A suggestion, tell us about what you are, rather than what you aren't. It is easy enough to say, I like to use soil and sticks and spices and pans, I wear my regular clothes when casting and I tend to keep things minimal with few tools and unscripted moments.There is zero wrong with dressing in your regular clothes, using the natural things around in a simple manner--and many of us here are like that. But you could be missing your chance to get to know some awesome witches who do collect crystals, dress up for Ren faires, plan lovely ceremonies and rituals and/or have a few skulls in their collection, who may well be some of the coolest witches you might ever get to know! if you use your intro to demean such practices.I am not one to use crystals much myself, but one of my favorite regulars on this community does and she is one hell of a witch! I like a little ceremony, but mostly keep things simple, but again there are a few witches on here who knock the pants off with their magic rituals.

#14 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Had to vote this up

#15 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

Yes that is a good post as are most of Sarasuperid's contributions. Lovely to hear someone speak about the diversity of craft practice and the fact we all do things so differently. Thank you for bringing this openminded, thoughtful and welcoming post back into the zone.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#16 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Indeed she did write well

#17 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Bump Bump  in the night.

Some of us learned from grannies and parents

Some of us learned from books

All of us are Traditional Witches.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#18 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

In response to the original post:

Some of us approach our Crafting in every way imaginable.  One day might find us wearing a hooded sweatshirt and shuffling through our home with a burning herb of some sort for a spontaneous cleansing; the next day we might be found in the woods, naked, performing a meticulously-planned ritual with a carefully-chosen selection of tools.

In response to newbies bashing other paths:

I am 100% guilty of this, particularly in my first month here.  However, it wasn't motivated by a perceived "need" to ingratiate myself to this community; rather, it was the simple act of projecting my anger from my experiences with organized religion onto something I've never even practiced (the 'fluffy' religion that shall not be named).  I can't speak for others, but I know I can't be the only one who went through a grieving process when I committed to my Path (thus embracing the gifts that have been there my entire life and terrified me), and came to the realization of how much of my life I spent repressing that inner 'spark' that is a rare combination of beauty and function.  I hope my sharing this provides a different (and more positive) perspective towards newbies whose self-expressions seem to be targeting more mainstream paths with a seemingly unbalanced amount of angst.

#19 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

Just a quick clarification you guys, this bump's focus was that there are a lot of differences in the Traditional walk of life; the diversity, and the validity of those differences.  I don't want it to seem like I am presenting all newbies in a negative light, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#20 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

Just a quick clarification you guys, this bump's focus was that there are a lot of differences in the Traditional walk of life; the diversity, and the validity of those differences.  I don't want it to seem like I am presenting all newbies in a negative light, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Oh goodness, I didn't perceive it negatively at all!  I've read this thread a couple of times before and have had the second part of my response in my head for a few weeks   :blush: