Witch Cake

Stacey

So I tossed up whether or not to put this in the Artist section or Food section - I went food section cos it is food after all I suppose. Plus my icing job - now I wouldn't want to embarrass myself and call it art. I found a witch cake tin on eBay, I believe it was from Wilton (1980's) and it is called the "High Flyin Witch Pan" - so here is my effort (don't laugh). The cake base is banana cake, its a simple recipe which I like and it tastes fabulous.

Witch+Cake+3.jpg

• Upvote 4

So I tossed up whether or not to put this in the Artist section or Food section - I went food section cos it is food after all I suppose. Plus my icing job - now I wouldn't want to embarrass myself and call it art. I found a witch cake tin on eBay, I believe it was from Wilton (1980's) and it is called the "High Flyin Witch Pan" - so here is my effort (don't laugh). The cake base is banana cake, its a simple recipe which I like and it tastes fabulous.

Witch+Cake+3.jpg

Love it num num!

I think it's absolutely adorable!

I love homemade cakes - You should post the recipe.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have loved that cake as a child! So cute!

There's a story about a witchcake in the history of the Salem Witch Trials.

Apparently,an outbreak of clinical hysteria was blamed on witchcraft. A set of female siblings who were experiencing symptoms of hysteria and what they called "bewitchment" were fed "WITCHCAKE" containing urine to prove that witchcraft was in the working.

An excerpt from " A Delusion of Satan" by Frances Hill:

"During the few weeks after their fits started, sometime in January, Abigail's and Betty's condition grew worse. The doctors called to the house could do nothing. It was, according to Samuel Parris, some weeks before witchcraft was thought of. But about the middle of February, one of the physicians, probably, Dr. Griggs, the great-uncle of the seventeen-year-old daughter Elizabeth Hubbard, declared that the girls were "under the evil hand".

As a result of these words, all hell ws let loose. In Samuel Parris's opinion, that was literally true. They neighbors seized ont eh notion that the girls were bewitched, and one of them encouraged Tituba and John Indian to bake a "witch cake" containing Betty's and Abigail's urine. The plan was to feed this to the dog to see if it too would act strangely, thus confirming the witchery. Whether the Parrises' unfortunate pet was actually induced to eat this concoction and, if so, how it reacted has not come down to us through the centuries. But the pastor believed it was the "diabolical" cake baking, in itself evil since it used the devil's own means to reveal the devil's presence, that worsened his niece's and daughter's condition. By this means, he said, "the Devil hath been raised amongst us." "

In continued reading, you'll find that they used this cake as evidence. The one who baked it...under the instruction of another..(she was a slave) was accused of being a witch. Parris beat her and abused her in other ways to try to make her confess to being a witch.

what a cruel time in the history of our civilization? it breaks my heart and angers me when I think of those tortured and murdered by the hands of power-hungry,greed driven fools!

I hope there's no pee in your recipe ;) j/k! cute cake!