Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RavenFlyer

Spiri doll

So for the past week I have been sewing this doll. She is inspired by Erzulie Freda who is a Lwa in Vodou. And I have her finished, i think. I can't decide if she should have a face or not. So Tell me what you all think.

post-151-0-07980200-1328688702_thumb.jpg

She is lovely as is, if I were making her though I'd probably embroider her a face.

Oh now isn't she a fetching thing... and I mean that in many terms. lol ! If you believe she needs tangible senses, just an idea I had floating about... small clear crystals for her eyes, ..... and take it from there.. She's a beaut !

Regards,

Gypsy

I'm not sure what the tradition she belongs to says about putting a face on a representation of lwa but I know the Greeks used to put a face on their statues and just leave the eyes undetailed. The idea was that the eyes decribed the spirit within and the statues acted as a sort of vessel. If I were making it I would use this theory. I love CG's idea about the clear crystal eyes. That kind of thing is what I was thinking of. Honestly though, do what feels right. She's very nicely done btw. Great job!

Hi,

I purchased a doll from www.kitchenwitch.org (in the "dolly day dreams" section). She is Cerridwen, and she has been crafted in a similar fashion, I believe, as yours has, and she has a face on each side of her. She has two sides; one is the daughter and the other the mother, so to speak, and on the daughter's side, she has red lips (was thinking of what Spinney said!) and on the mother (or crone)'s side she has pink lips. Her eyes are transparent beads sewn on with pink thread. I love her. My daughter loves her too. We see the continuity of life in her.

Kind regards,

Heks

Thanks guys for all the input and suggestions. I'm still mulling it over. I kind of like her faceless in that it allows all possible options to remain and doesn't leave her with one expression.

I toyed with some buttons, but didn't like those.

If you do decide to go with a face, cowrie shells might be another option for the eyes. I'm not well versed in Voodoo, but I believe cowrie shell eyes are used for Elegua representations... so I'm not sure if they'd be appropriate for Erzulie or not, but it's an idea.

Cowrie shells are connected with Erzulie as well. I toyed with that idea too. I think I need to find some smaller cowrie than what I have. They covered most of the head lol. She looked alienish.

I received Erzulie yesterday and she is absolutely gorgeous!! Your attention to detail is wonderful, Raven Flyer! I get such a warm and earthy feeling from her-I couldn't be more pleased. I'm also tickled pink with the ancestor doll-she has a wicked face that I just love! You do such nice work, I am so pleased that you started your etsy store. Keep 'em coming! :applause: :cheerleader:

A very satisfied customer,

Elizabeth

Thank you so much for the kind words. There will be more dolls in the future. I am gestating a few zygotes at the moment!