- - - - -

mobile app

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_uniqdrgnfly_*

Guest_uniqdrgnfly_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

Is there future plans for. A mobile app for androids & iPhones? That would be absolutely awesome. I would buy it!

#2 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

The developers of the forum software did have a free app for iPhones, but they removed it from the iTunes store. They are working on mobile apps, but it looks to be slow going. I will post here if and when it is released. They have been requested to make an app for Android phones also, however, they seem to be iPhone 'fanboys' and an Android app may take longer .. time will tell.

You can use a mobile browser to view the forum, it should use the mobile skin without banners etc.

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#3 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

I used to have an app for this type of forum on my iPhone but after a while it started crashing and didn't work properly.
I just open the forum using 'Atomic Browser' set to show as a desktop browser and use the normal tradwitch layout. Works fine for me, posts are easy enough to read (if not set at micro-small, can't read morse code lol). All the app does is open he site in the mobile skin anyway but from a separate icon on your screen - there's nothing special about it. In fact if you are using Safari (on the iPhone that is) you can put a bookmark icon on your phone anyway so you don't have to open the browser first.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

I used to have an app for this type of forum on my iPhone but after a while it started crashing and didn't work properly.
I just open the forum using 'Atomic Browser' set to show as a desktop browser and use the normal tradwitch layout. Works fine for me, posts are easy enough to read (if not set at micro-small, can't read morse code lol). All the app does is open he site in the mobile skin anyway but from a separate icon on your screen - there's nothing special about it. In fact if you are using Safari (on the iPhone that is) you can put a bookmark icon on your phone anyway so you don't have to open the browser first.

I recently got one of those fancy android things and would be interested in this. Could you please re-post it in English (and assume you are explaining how to do this to a three-year-old, lol)??? (i.e. "skin" to me is that stuff I moistruize every morning!)

M

#5 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

I recently got one of those fancy android things and would be interested in this. Could you please re-post it in English (and assume you are explaining how to do this to a three-year-old, lol)??? (i.e. "skin" to me is that stuff I moistruize every morning!)

M

Haha, sure Michele lol.
'Skin' is the layout that you have on your computer. At the bottom of yje screen you will see an option to have either I.P.Boards, Traditional Witch or TW Mobile layouts. All the app did was take all the 'I.P.Boards' forums and have them accessible from one icon on your phone but they only opened in the mobile version of the forum.
If you have a browser (like Firefox on your PC) you can open the forum in that exactly the same as on a PC and then make a 'shortcut' in the same way. Some mobile browsers (safari on the iPhone) tell the Internet they are on a mobile device and only show mobile versions of websites. If you download a separate browser such as Atomic, they have the option of fooling the Internet that they are a desktop so show full versions of websites.
I'm sure Droghon will be able to enlighten you further than my attempts lol.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#6 ladyemero

ladyemero

Scottish Siren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

I'm using the mobile version on my Htc Desire Hd right now (android) I've been faffing around with it as I'm in bed feeling a bit poorly. The current functionality is ok, can't seem to find my photos using this version. Would I be able to upload new pics straight to here from this mobile version?

A mobile app can have lots of stuff depends how good the dev's want to go. Will be looking forward to seeing what's decided. : )

PEACE....
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work, it means to be in the midst of those things and still
be CALM IN YOUR HEART
(unknown)

www.scottishsiren.wordpress.com

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Haha, sure Michele lol.
'Skin' is the layout that you have on your computer. At the bottom of yje screen you will see an option to have either I.P.Boards, Traditional Witch or TW Mobile layouts. All the app did was take all the 'I.P.Boards' forums and have them accessible from one icon on your phone but they only opened in the mobile version of the forum.
If you have a browser (like Firefox on your PC) you can open the forum in that exactly the same as on a PC and then make a 'shortcut' in the same way. Some mobile browsers (safari on the iPhone) tell the Internet they are on a mobile device and only show mobile versions of websites. If you download a separate browser such as Atomic, they have the option of fooling the Internet that they are a desktop so show full versions of websites.
I'm sure Droghon will be able to enlighten you further than my attempts lol.

Ummm... so if I download "Atomic" to my cell phone I can read the forum on my phone?

M

#8 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Ummm... so if I download "Atomic" to my cell phone I can read the forum on my phone?

M

At the very bottom of this page are two little drop down menus. They are automatically set to Traditional Witch and English USA

Press the little triangle next to Traditional Witch and select Tw Mobile instead. leave the English menu alone.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#9 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

I don't know what browsers come with Android phones, but any will do. I like the atomic one as it doesn't just load mobile sites and also has tabs (like full sized browsers). But I guess any will do that you can upload if you don't like the native one on your phone. You might be able to get Firefox on Android.
As above, just click the little box at the bottom and change to TW Mobile on your phones browser.

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

At the very bottom of this page are two little drop down menus. They are automatically set to Traditional Witch and English USA

Press the little triangle next to Traditional Witch and select Tw Mobile instead. leave the English menu alone.

But this is my computer, not my phone, so how will my phone know if I've clicked on anything or not??? (yes, I really am that phone-dumb, lol)

M

#11 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

But this is my computer, not my phone, so how will my phone know if I've clicked on anything or not??? (yes, I really am that phone-dumb, lol)

M

If its a touch screen phone all you do it tap on whatever you want to click on, you'll soon get the hang of it. Might seem strange to start off with. I didn't think I could use an iPhone but it's actually very easy - Androids will be the same.
Don't worry about it, have a go with your phone when you get time and let us know how you get on. No point worrying about it before you've had chance to try it lol.

If you think it will be hard, I had to programme a load of of phone numbers into one of those brick mobile phones once, those huge grey things with the massive aerial, my old boss chucked it at me and asked me to do it for him - I hadn't a clue as I'd only seen them on the telly lol this was in the early eighties. Things have got a bit easier since then ;)

#12 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

M

Do you mean "How will my phone remember which posts I read?"
If you sign in on your phone through the regular browser it will be just like signing in on a computer and your "screen name" will remember which posts you have clicked on so it will un-highlight the same posts just as if you were on the computer.

#13 Guest_uniqdrgnfly_*

Guest_uniqdrgnfly_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

The developers of the forum software did have a free app for iPhones, but they removed it from the iTunes store. They are working on mobile apps, but it looks to be slow going. I will post here if and when it is released. They have been requested to make an app for Android phones also, however, they seem to be iPhone 'fanboys' and an Android app may take longer .. time will tell.

You can use a mobile browser to view the forum, it should use the mobile skin without banners etc.

Thanks Brian, maybe we should all band together and put a nice spell on them to hurry it up and get those apps going...lol