48 replies to this topic

#41 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

There's a lot here I agree and disagree with... but, I lean on the side of R.I.P. for all the reasons stated above.  (If they visit, then ok* -- and, even that depends)

Just because there's a blood tie, doesn't mean you'll want them around....or they automatically care for you; have your best interest. Consider the opposite.

Anyone who works with spirit knows it's not always a sweet or peaceful business.  It can be downright nasty. 

As with opening any door, there's a chance something very unexpected awaits on the other side. Then what?  That's my 2 cents.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#42 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

It's sounding to me more and more that there may be a divide between nationalities on this topic.

Perhaps we could make a quiz post and see the results in the end - of people from what country/nationality/background will be more on the pro or con side of this matter. Could help see if there are any skewered results.

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#43 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

I'm planning on focusing on working with/ getting into contact with my ancestors this year. That's my goal and what I'm planning on putting most of my focus on at this time. I really want to get into contact with my paternal grandmother. Of anyone, she's the most interesting to me because of what I know about her and where she came from. I know that she used to read tea leaves and I've been thinking about trying to learn how to read tea leaves as a way of getting into contact with her and to kind of share something in common with her but to be completely honest... it looks pretty damn complicated to me. I'm not sure how good I'll be at it but I'm going to look into and and see where that goes from there.

As far as  other ancestors... ehh, I'm not really interested in contacting anyone else. Not that there aren't people that I love and miss. My uncles that passed away and of course my brother. I'm open to the idea of being contacted by others if they feel the need to reach out to me but it's my grandmother who is my main interest right now. I do feel that my brother is looking out for my family though. My nephews talk about feeling things while they're laying in bed and my sister thinks it's my brother and he shows himself sometimes by using animals. Like my mom thinking about him and having a frog jump and land on her shoulder and just sit there. Stuff like that. We take is as signs from him and I feel like he's definitely out there watching over us and I would love to contact him as well but I feel like he shows himself in little ways now and I'm happy with that. 

I know I have something out there looking out for me though. Too many times in my life have I been saved from getting myself in trouble that I either have extremely good luck or I definitely have someone out there that cares enough to watch over my ass and keep me out of trouble. 

I don't have a single family member that I could think of that would wish me harm or would be down right nasty to me if I did try to contact them but going further back then that... ancient ancestors and such... I wouldn't know them well enough to know what they would be like. 

#44 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

I have tried different approaches, and I have been most cordial, along with offerings, payment (blood, water, food, alcohol, etc.), but each time, the working goes south ie. the working does not 'work',and I do not feel any warm fuzzy feelings of contact.

When I rely on myself to draw the raw powers, make a sacrifice (my blood), the working is successful.

How many times does one have to go down a street to find a house, but does not find it because it simply is not there. I really have to stop trying this street. M, mentioned the Beloved Dead, but it looks like I do not have any. I invite any spirits/ancestors that are beneficial to me, the success of my working (after all, I do not want a sociopath or an abuser showing up). Prior to that I banish any spirits that would be detrimental. There is protection in place.

I have tried to build that 'relationship' long before doing a working, to demonstrate that I am not just 'using' them.

Well, what can I expect, if the relationship did not exist in a positive way when living, how could it be any different when they are dead!

I guess it is just not my path, as it was not when they lived. I extricated myself from that years ago, although the scars still exist, and act up now and then.

Can I find 'some' good memories - sure, but the bad far outweighs it.

Want the job done right, do it yourself. Relatives - bah, humbug.

Hi Autumn Moon,

This is a very interesting topic, and before delving into the argument I wanted to enlarge on your experiences. I have had for times similar problems, where does not matter what I did, I could just not feel they were there, their presence was not available to me - no matter I hard I wanted to tap into it. I think there are two things that motivated this, and that have changed allowing me to contact my loved ones who have passed away. First, is that the thing has to go both way. I think, as you specify in another topic, that if you did not have a positive relation with whomever you are calling on, I do not see why they would be willing to come. I do not know if spirits are there in their own right or if they are just the manifestation of the memories and energy we hold for them, but even in this last case, horrible memories of one person can be a deterrent enough to effectively summon that person. Second, I find it more difficult to change your relation with the dead if you have lost someone who was close to you. If you are not one of those open-as-the-arc-de-triomphe medium who would see dead people at the corner of the street, it will be difficult to reach the dead if you do not have a link there. Since my beloved grandmother died, she has been my gate-keeper for conversing with the dead. She works as an intermediary, and because our bond was so tight, it has been much easier to access spirits through her. Then of course it may be that you are just not that kind of person, but I personally would not give up so easily. When you practice magic, the more allies you can have on other planes, the better your back is watched.

Regarding the subject of 'divination with dead', I do this with tarot. With time, I elaborated a particular spread (which I call the Dead Man Spread), in which the reader works as a medium drawing the cards for the dead person. I find this most effective, at least as effective as automatic writing and other forms of conversation.

Aria

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#45 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Hi Autumn Moon,

This is a very interesting topic, and before delving into the argument I wanted to enlarge on your experiences. I have had for times similar problems, where does not matter what I did, I could just not feel they were there, their presence was not available to me - no matter I hard I wanted to tap into it. I think there are two things that motivated this, and that have changed allowing me to contact my loved ones who have passed away. First, is that the thing has to go both way. I think, as you specify in another topic, that if you did not have a positive relation with whomever you are calling on, I do not see why they would be willing to come. I do not know if spirits are there in their own right or if they are just the manifestation of the memories and energy we hold for them, but even in this last case, horrible memories of one person can be a deterrent enough to effectively summon that person. Second, I find it more difficult to change your relation with the dead if you have lost someone who was close to you. If you are not one of those open-as-the-arc-de-triomphe medium who would see dead people at the corner of the street, it will be difficult to reach the dead if you do not have a link there. Since my beloved grandmother died, she has been my gate-keeper for conversing with the dead. She works as an intermediary, and because our bond was so tight, it has been much easier to access spirits through her. Then of course it may be that you are just not that kind of person, but I personally would not give up so easily. When you practice magic, the more allies you can have on other planes, the better your back is watched.

Regarding the subject of 'divination with dead', I do this with tarot. With time, I elaborated a particular spread (which I call the Dead Man Spread), in which the reader works as a medium drawing the cards for the dead person. I find this most effective, at least as effective as automatic writing and other forms of conversation.

Aria

Hi Aria,

What do you mean by "not that kind of person"?

Edited by Autumn Moon, 08 October 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#46 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

Hi Aria,

What do you mean by "not that kind of person"?

Hi Autumn Moon,

Sorry if I was not clear. What I meant is if you are not, like me, one of those people who naturally holds medianic abilities. For those people, I find, getting in contact with the dead is much easier that for me, for example, as when I wish too see, dream or 'perceive' people who have passed I have to want to go there.

Aria

Edited by Aria, 08 October 2014 - 01:25 PM.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#47 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

Okay, that is what I thought. It is not that I do not, for I sense the dead, and have had experiences with them. It is that my immediate ancestors do not want to help me in workings. I have tried to bridge the gap, but it does not work for me with them, and why would it, as they did not help much when they were alive. But, I thought I would try...it didn't work. I felt (intuited) that it would not, and that was verified, and it was not for a lack trying or being genuine on my part. It is what it is.

Edited by Autumn Moon, 08 October 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#48 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

But, I thought I would try...it didn't work. I felt (intuited) that it would not, and that was verified, and it was not for a lack trying or being genuine on my part. It is what it is.

Hey You. :smile:  This may help you or not, but it's rather simple to say the least. My Father used to do this to divine and discern. A simple yes or no, depending on what he was seeking to give Him clarity. He would gather stones, I can't recall if He used a certain number or what.

Yet if one finds the usage of numbers in their path,  why not ?

The stones would vary in light to dark. He would close His eyes, and toss the stones in front of Him. With His eyes still closed, with His left hand He would pick up a stone. If the stone was dark, His answer was yes, or at least favorable for an outcome.  If it was light, He knew his answer was no.

Wishing You the Best of Fortune, as always. 

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#49 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Hey You. :smile:  This may help you or not, but it's rather simple to say the least. My Father used to do this to divine and discern. A simple yes or no, depending on what he was seeking to give Him clarity. He would gather stones, I can't recall if He used a certain number or what.

Yet if one finds the usage of numbers in their path,  why not ?

The stones would vary in light to dark. He would close His eyes, and toss the stones in front of Him. With His eyes still closed, with His left hand He would pick up a stone. If the stone was dark, His answer was yes, or at least favorable for an outcome.  If it was light, He knew his answer was no.

Wishing You the Best of Fortune, as always. 

Regards,

Gypsy

Hey CelticGypsy, good to hear from you. That is a very cool way of divining, kudos to your dad, and a big thank you to you for sharing it. I'm going to give it a whirl.

Thank you so much CG, and the Best of Fortune to you too!