48 replies to this topic

#1 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

Connecting/communicating with the ancestors/dead through divination. Thoughts? Experiences?

Edited by Marabet, 10 January 2012 - 04:03 PM.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#2 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

Connecting/communicating with the ancestors/dead through divination. Thoughts? Experiences?

I've been doing a lot of this lately, connecting with ancestors through use of runes and tarot. I even use a particular slate from my great-great uncle to strengthen the connection. Seems the readings go much more smoothly, and are more personal when I do this.

I've been thinking about doing some pendulum work for spirits in my apartment, to work out this heavy energy issue.

~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#3 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

I have yet to put this into practice but my thoughts on how it might go down is something like this- 1) connecting with the person/thing you wish to contact first by establishing a relationship (this should be done over a fairly long period of time) 2) entering into a ritual space of whatever sort designed for communication purposes 3) 'Becoming' as Gemma Gary puts it and/or a trance-like state 4) in that state, in that space, proceeding with your form of divination with the intent of the person/thing you are seeking to connect with "speaking" through it.

Step 1 could easily be less time, now that I am thinking about it, because it is possible to use this to better understand what is wanted or needed of you in order to make a better relationship to begin with. And, of course, this is all fairly elaborate and I am guessing a quick read/casting/what have you before the ancestor altar could also be a way to connect.

Still forming and organizing my thoughts on all of this...

#4 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

I have yet to put this into practice but my thoughts on how it might go down is something like this- 1) connecting with the person/thing you wish to contact first by establishing a relationship (this should be done over a fairly long period of time) 2) entering into a ritual space of whatever sort designed for communication purposes 3) 'Becoming' as Gemma Gary puts it and/or a trance-like state 4) in that state, in that space, proceeding with your form of divination with the intent of the person/thing you are seeking to connect with "speaking" through it.

Step 1 could easily be less time, now that I am thinking about it, because it is possible to use this to better understand what is wanted or needed of you in order to make a better relationship to begin with. And, of course, this is all fairly elaborate and I am guessing a quick read/casting/what have you before the ancestor altar could also be a way to connect.

Still forming and organizing my thoughts on all of this...

Yes I agree:

(1) forming a relationship, that to me is an act. a doing, and implementation of.

(2) speaking outloud, the nature of your reason as to why, complementing the relationship as it forms for both sides. I would even accept
whispering as one is still speaking with one's mouth, not just in thought.

(3) If one doesn't have a particular alter space perce for this budding relationship, I could accept using something that belonged to the ancestor. Perhaps a watch, but something personal, would work just a fine.

(4) a quiet nature, a quiet place within oneself to go, avoid of mental noise as well as random noises. Clearing one's head space, and making the effort to connect on a regular basis. One could even pick a day, set aside to have this time, solely for the purpose of getting to know the ancestor.

(5) Trust in oneself, and understand that by keeping vigilent and steadfast to make that connection, even if the connection takes a period of time, reminding oneself that trust is a two way street.

Just a couple of thoughts for this Post.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#5 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

I like what you both said, preparing a relationship, preparing a space, preparing a state of mind. Perhaps, depending on the circumstances, a drop of blood would be helpful as a calling agent, especially if you don't have anything that belonged to the ancestor.

My question is, how would you know that the reading is correct? My experience has been that readings can be highly interpretive and sometimes incredibly vague if you don't know at least a little of the circumstances. What do you think?

~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#6 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thanks, CG! Great list.

My question is, how would you know that the reading is correct? My experience has been that readings can be highly interpretive and sometimes incredibly vague if you don't know at least a little of the circumstances. What do you think?

When it comes right down to it how do you know any of it is really happening? True? That's a part of all of this I struggle with- suspending the logical mind and focusing on experience and my gut. I would guess that that is exactly what is needed in this case, as well.

Edited to add another thought- I think this could also be why Step 1 is important. When you get to know who or what it is you are contacting you get to know their energy. It's like talking to a friend vs. talking to a stranger.

Edited by Marabet, 10 January 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#7 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

If you're contacting ancestors or dead that you knew when they were alive it's very easy to test their identity by asking questions regarding things that happened while they were alive. If you know your family history well, even with unknown ancestors this method can be used to a certain extent by asking them when they lived and then questions about family information that should have been commonly known, etc. Obviously there will be some situations where this doesn't apply, but it's a fairly decent method of making sure you haven't had a trickster spirit take notice of your work and horn in pretending to be something they're not.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

There are a few very interesting charms used for this, they are from the man who owns the Briar Rose site (hopefully he doesn't mind them being repeated/printed, but he's posted them publicaly before so I am assuming he wouldn't mind). According to his particular path, the living don't belong in the world of the dead, so one goes there in guise and marks one's self as dead (so they can enter and leave unhindered they have to be recognized as being dead). He uses shadow (reversed) Jera (breaking a natural cycle - you're not dead)and Elhaz (communication, contact, patronage of the underworld goddess) and "regular" Ehwaz (the horse/movement to carry you there and back again). He also warns that this should never be undertaken lightly or if you do not know what you are doing. That once done, it cannot be undone and you will return changed. One names their self as dead and travels to the underworld in disguse. There are several spoken charms relating as well, and associated trees (alder) and animals (raven and wolf) for the workings. Very, very fascinating stuff. "I am a child named dead, grant me access to your shadowed halls and leave to return" ..... "I am a child named dead who walks among the reddened bones. Follow the silver thread (the spirit cord) to the cities of the dead..." etc. Again I want to give these credit to the Briar Rose. He also opines that to gain access to the beloved dead (ancestoral dead) for divination one must pass through the realm of the "walking dead" and that this should not be done without a strong understanding and relation to spirit. Anyway, was some awesome stuff in relation to working with ancestors and the dead.

M

#9 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Yes I agree:

(1) forming a relationship, that to me is an act. a doing, and implementation of.

(2) speaking outloud, the nature of your reason as to why, complementing the relationship as it forms for both sides. I would even accept
whispering as one is still speaking with one's mouth, not just in thought.

(3) If one doesn't have a particular alter space perce for this budding relationship, I could accept using something that belonged to the ancestor. Perhaps a watch, but something personal, would work just a fine.

(4) a quiet nature, a quiet place within oneself to go, avoid of mental noise as well as random noises. Clearing one's head space, and making the effort to connect on a regular basis. One could even pick a day, set aside to have this time, solely for the purpose of getting to know the ancestor.

(5) Trust in oneself, and understand that by keeping vigilent and steadfast to make that connection, even if the connection takes a period of time, reminding oneself that trust is a two way street.

Just a couple of thoughts for this Post.

Regards,
Gypsy

I was prompted to bump this thread and respond to this post specifically. In Craft practice, this advice provided by CelticGypsy, applies not only to connections with the dead, but also with the living. I wonder sometimes if people understand that these relationships take time (a helluva lot of time), maybe even years to establish. It seriously confounds me that people expect to have knowledge handed to them without any intent of proving themselves trustworthy and deserving. As if the dead (and the living) should just reveal their all for any person who asks.

I wouldn't go up to a stranger in the street and say "I know we have never met, but tell me all of your most cherished, deepest secrets". Trust (and respect), as CG mentioned, must be earned. They must be cultivated. Of course, one can treat the dead and the living like a magical hotline, but one too many cries for help or demands for information with nothing given in return will inevitably lead to being ignored or worse.

Jevne

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

I was prompted to bump this thread and respond to this post specifically. In Craft practice, this advice provided by CelticGypsy, applies not only to connections with the dead, but also with the living. I wonder sometimes if people understand that these relationships take time (a helluva lot of time), maybe even years to establish. It seriously confounds me that people expect to have knowledge handed to them without any intent of proving themselves trustworthy and deserving. As if the dead (and the living) should just reveal their all for any person who asks.

I wouldn't go up to a stranger in the street and say "I know we have never met, but tell me all of your most cherished, deepest secrets". Trust (and respect), as CG mentioned, must be earned. They must be cultivated. Of course, one can treat the dead and the living like a magical hotline, but one too many cries for help or demands for information with nothing given in return will inevitably lead to being ignored or worse.

Jevne

Very much agree, and also see many who try once or twice and then give up. It's like dating with the intent of getting married (not just getting laid, lol) - it's a RELATIONSHIP and must be treated as such.

M

#11 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:26 AM

The sad thing is I don't have any deceased relatives I would want to contact - seriously, all of them have left scars on my life and I didn't know half of them.

I have not much experience with the dead being an area I've not ventured but I do have a friend who is a medium and it can be quite hard for her to get reliable information out of the deceased sometimes - they aren't always forthcoming. I think you would have to approach it with a lot of respect and reverence and allow them to test you and your resolve because if some one is playing at the spirit world I would think they'd get a harsh lesson very quickly in respect and the power of the dead.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#12 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

(1) forming a relationship,......
(5) Trust in oneself, and understand that by keeping vigilant and steadfast to make that connection, even if the connection takes a period of time, reminding oneself that trust is a two way street.
Regards,
Gypsy

Great wisdom here..

....it's very easy to test their identity by asking questions regarding things that happened while they were alive. If you know your family history well, even with unknown ancestors this method can be used to a certain extent by asking them when they lived and then questions about family information that should have been commonly known, etc. Obviously there will be some situations where this doesn't apply, but it's a fairly decent method of making sure you haven't had a trickster spirit take notice of your work and horn in pretending to be something they're not.

Ancestor worship/reverence/honoring and necromancy are separate kettles of fish.. it is wise to not only use the method Aloe mentions but to also have good protection in place...

Jevne

:beerchug:

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#13 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I think there would be ancestors/spirits that would want you to provide for them, prove yourself to them etc, but are just on a power/ego trip, and provide very little if anything in return. Perhaps they are even deceitful. If I have to 'prove' myself to them, then how about they provide me with some proof as to their 'sincerity' and 'ability' to help me. If it is just me providing and proving to them, I really have my reservations about that. If I start to develop a relationship with an ancestor/spirit, but I do not get help as asked in a working, then why would I want to continue with them...give me something to verify if I want to continue with this. Would it be a productive relationship for BOTH of us (it takes two to tango). I do not want this to take years because it could just be one sided all that time, with only the ancestor/spirit reaping the rewards, while I keep asking for alms for the poor (me, lol). Kind of like the relative who keeps you helping them, while promising you the house or whatever in the will. But on the day of the reading of the will, you get nada.

I dunno, each time I try to go this route, my workings really don't 'work'. But, when I rely on myself, they do work. Might be that I have had to rely on myself for most of my life when it came to so called 'family'.

Anyway, I think it has to be a two way street from the get go. It's like when I hire a worker, I get the work done and 'then' I pay the worker (I think there are certain traditions that work like this with ancestors/spirits - read it somewhere - probably here). In between, I would offer the worker refreshments and some snacks. But if I see the worker being a lazy so and so, and not doing very good work, then that worker gets nothing more...perhaps even being fired.

Just my thoughts (warped or not, LOL).

#14 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

For me it is always a two-way street becuase my ancestors live on through me, hence they are interested in me and my welfare and the continuation fo my line. I do not often have a one-on-one direct interaction with a specific ancestor, and when that happens it is usually on their decision, not mine. What I usually get is more of an access to a pool of group/prior knowledge. There is no "physical" time there, so they have access to the past, future and present. They also have expreience and will pass that on in the interest of the continuation of the line and ways. The information from the "group pool" one can tell is accurate becuase of the way it feels and affects one - it is that very deep unquestioning feeling. But it is not at all like a this-world interaction where one sits down and has a direct question-and-answer session (at least not for me). The one time I have got into trouble (so far, lol) is shortly after my father died. It was a direct interaction which is unusual (for me), not a "group pool" interaction, and becuase I was emotional over his death and just so happy to see him, my emotions took over and I was not sensing the inaccurateness of the energy until things started to go wrong. But once they headed south, it was easy enough to get out and end the contact.

I have been working with the group pool lately in some new forms of contacting that I have not tried before, and today I left the house to go and do 4 things. I did one of them (buying a pack of smokes, lol) and got a very heavy feeling - almost like a depression, a complete lethargy (sp) - and just a huge urge to go home. So I did. Once I got home the feeling left. For me that is an outside impulse being placed in me from the "group pool." I have no idea why I am supposed to be here bored in the house when I have things to do, and there is a good chance I may never know why. All I know is I was not supposed to be out on the street this afternoon. So here I sit :-) There is an element of trust involved, both of the message and of the self that one is not "imagining" things, but I find that the more interactions one has, the more they recgonize them. They don't always tell me what I want to know. They don't always give me answers I understand. But I have to trust it. Without that trust there is no liine of communication. (Perhaps I'm supposed to be doing my taxes, lol.)

M

#15 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Ancestor ******/reverence/honoring and necromancy are separate kettles of fish..

It sure is. I will use your analogy LdyShallot. I liken it to fishing, I would not take a canoe, bamboo rod, and a worm on a safety pin, to go out and hope to catch and net a marlin. I understand completely if one wants to honor their ancestor in an ongoing relationship, as it is a two way street, by diligently making the connection, through committment of the relationship. Peers here who put up honoring alters to their ancestors, show respect of and to them, and interact with them, if not, the ancestor is just a picture on a wall. Hell, the "Ordinary People " do that, they have their people on the walls of their homes. Past and Present.

[quote name='Autumn Moon' timestamp='1327254766' post='120950']
I think there would be ancestors/spirits that would want you to provide for them, prove yourself to them etc, but are just on a power/ego trip, and provide very little if anything in return. Perhaps they are even deceitful. If I have to 'prove' myself to them, then how about they provide me with some proof as to their 'sincerity' and 'ability' to help me. If it is just me providing and proving to them, I really have my reservations about that. If I start to develop a relationship with an ancestor/spirit, but I do not get help as asked in a working, then why would I want to continue with them...give me something to verify if I want to continue with this. Would it be a productive relationship for BOTH of us (it takes two to tango). I do not want this to take years because it could just be one sided all that time, with only the ancestor/spirit reaping the rewards, while I keep asking for alms for the poor (me, lol). Kind of like the relative who keeps you helping them, while promising you the house or whatever in the will. But on the day of the reading of the will, you get nada. If your first approach doesn't bring results, why not try another? There are those times when the Witch is up to bat, and doesn't barrel it outta da' park. So the Witch improvises, grabs a different bat, holds their hands slightly different. I really like your mind set on this, as Witches are skeptical by nature, and just don't swallow everthing they read, or what they are told, but they do keep a critical open mind.

I dunno, each time I try to go this route, my workings really don't 'work'. But, when I rely on myself, they do work. Might be that I have had to rely on myself for most of my life when it came to so called 'family'.

Anyway, I think it has to be a two way street from the get go. It's like when I hire a worker, I get the work done and 'then' I pay the worker (I think there are certain traditions that work like this with ancestors/spirits - read it somewhere - probably here). In between, I would offer the worker refreshments and some snacks. But if I see the worker being a lazy so and so, and not doing very good work, then that worker gets nothing more...perhaps even being fired. So that worker was not cut out for that particular task or preformed poorly, do you shut down your business because of it... I don't think so, you tweek your advirtisment for hire, to possibly find the right one who would fit in nicely with the job description, you posted. You are going to make your business the most successful it can be, naturally, you didn't set it up to fail.
Just my thoughts (warped or not, LOL). LOL ! warped...........nah... twisted and corker and wyrd.........yes. lol !

[quote name='Michele' timestamp='1327263285' post='120951']
For me it is always a two-way street becuase my ancestors live on through me, hence they are interested in me and my welfare and the continuation fo my line.

I have been working with the group pool lately in some new forms of contacting that I have not tried before, New Forms ?? What a concept ! I mean this in the most respectful way, it shows growth to me, and the stretching of ideas and thought processes, putting things in an active prospective, and the patience to await an outcome.

There is an element of trust involved, both of the message and of the self that one is not "imagining" things, but I find that the more interactions one has, the more they recgonize them. They don't always tell me what I want to know. They don't always give me answers I understand. But I have to trust it. Without that trust there is no liine of communication. As for working with the living and the dead. How many times has one walked down the street, and made a small eye-contact gesture, and the stranger said, " hello " ? That small verbal exchange, opened a door somehow, in someway. There was no big ceremonial exchange between the two, just some sort of exhange, whether verbal or just a smile, or a nod of acknowledgement, in my opinion.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#16 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

... If I have to 'prove' myself to them, then how about they provide me with some proof as to their 'sincerity' and 'ability' to help me. If it is just me providing and proving to them, I really have my reservations about that. If I start to develop a relationship with an ancestor/spirit, but I do not get help as asked in a working, then why would I want to continue with them...

...Anyway, I think it has to be a two way street from the get go. It's like when I hire a worker, I get the work done and 'then' I pay the worker ..

In my opinion (and we all know I'm weird, lol) I would get slapped for that or possibly even a withdrawal of interaction and/or support. Take one's mother - although many's are living most know their mother so might relate better. If the day after one's 18th birthday if one sat one's mother down and said "thanks for raising me, but I'm adult now. So prove to me what you can give me that is of worth and I'll consider still having a relationship with you, but if you have nothing to offer me that serves me then I can't be bothered, so sod off. I have no interest in you other than using you." my mother would have boxed my ears right good.

Ancestors have knowledge = they have walked this world and have experiences. Just like any old person in a nursing home that so much of this world writes off - these people have experiences and stories. If one doesn't understand what one can gain from an ancestor, go visit a nursing hoome and listen to some of the life memories and even senile mutterings. From one's own ancestors one can find wisdom and knowledge, from the ancestors of one's path (if one walks a specific path) one can find information on the walking of it. But it can never be a "business" relationship. There is love, respect, and honor involved. Without that due respect and honor, there is no contact (at least in my experience). That is one reason they're refered to as the "Beloved Dead" rather than just the dead, or the other dead. Two very different streams, and neither would I fuck with arbitrarily.

M

#17 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

In my opinion (and we all know I'm weird, lol) I would get slapped for that or possibly even a withdrawal of interaction and/or support. Take one's mother - although many's are living most know their mother so might relate better. If the day after one's 18th birthday if one sat one's mother down and said "thanks for raising me, but I'm adult now. So prove to me what you can give me that is of worth and I'll consider still having a relationship with you, but if you have nothing to offer me that serves me then I can't be bothered, so sod off. I have no interest in you other than using you." my mother would have boxed my ears right good.

Ancestors have knowledge = they have walked this world and have experiences. Just like any old person in a nursing home that so much of this world writes off - these people have experiences and stories. If one doesn't understand what one can gain from an ancestor, go visit a nursing hoome and listen to some of the life memories and even senile mutterings. From one's own ancestors one can find wisdom and knowledge, from the ancestors of one's path (if one walks a specific path) one can find information on the walking of it. But it can never be a "business" relationship. There is love, respect, and honor involved. Without that due respect and honor, there is no contact (at least in my experience). That is one reason they're refered to as the "Beloved Dead" rather than just the dead, or the other dead. Two very different streams, and neither would I fuck with arbitrarily.

M

You're no more weird than any of us here (or maybe I should just speak for myself, LOL).

I consider it a two way street. Does not matter how old the person is, or whether they are your parent, aunt, uncle, grandparent, friend, etc. Before I go to someone for advice, help, doctoring etc, I want to know if, a. they are willing, b. do they have the ability/capability. I think that often relationships can only be a as you say 'business' one, because the emotional connection is not there. There are all kinds of different degrees of relationships, and one acts accordingly. Just because someone was your mother, does not mean she 'mothered you, nourished you'. Same with a father or any other relative. Some have had a loving relationship with a parent, relative, while others have not or may have had a destructive relationship.

#18 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

You're no more weird than any of us here (or maybe I should just speak for myself, LOL).

I consider it a two way street. Does not matter how old the person is, or whether they are your parent, aunt, uncle, grandparent, friend, etc. Before I go to someone for advice, help, doctoring etc, I want to know if, a. they are willing, b. do they have the ability/capability. I think that often relationships can only be a as you say 'business' one, because the emotional connection is not there. There are all kinds of different degrees of relationships, and one acts accordingly. Just because someone was your mother, does not mean she 'mothered you, nourished you'. Same with a father or any other relative. Some have had a loving relationship with a parent, relative, while others have not or may have had a destructive relationship.

Dear Autumn Moon,
I agree with you. I never met my father, who bowed down to my mother's wish for him to have no contact with me, so I have no desire to make contact with him now that he is dead. I have no connection with him and he is dead to me both in this world and the other world.
Kind regs,
Heks

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#19 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Dear Autumn Moon,
I agree with you. I never met my father, who bowed down to my mother's wish for him to have no contact with me, so I have no desire to make contact with him now that he is dead. I have no connection with him and he is dead to me both in this world and the other world.
Kind regs,
Heks

Yet you are alive simply becuase he lived, no matter how short the interaction. I suppose I don't deal with sepcific ancestors, as much as a more "communial pool" of ancestors. One day I may get down to specific ones, but that is not common for me. It is also an emotional thing for me; I exist becuase they existed, or my path exists becuase they walked it. I am both humbled and awed in the magnitude of the communal presence.

M

#20 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Yet you are alive simply becuase he lived, no matter how short the interaction.

M

Very true statement, Michele, and it is inevitable that he lives through me, as I carry his genes and his blood flows through my veins. Some say blood has the memory of its ancestors. I guess it's the magic of creation; maybe the need to procreate is linked to the need of the blood to stay alive, to keep flowing through human veins.
Just musings of a happy Witch!
xo
Heks

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)