is there a real link between bats and Witches?

HeksCiska

Yes...we all have bats in our bellfry, LOL

"It was commonly thought that witches used the blood of bats as an ingredient when making flying ointment, and further, to boost the powers of their magickal brews and potions. To the Gypsies, who were equally ostracized as witches, bats were seen as the bearers of good luck; they even prepared small bags containing dead bat bones for children to wear around their necks as charms". "In medieval Europe, bats were commonly thought to be witches’ familiars. In France 1332, Lady Jacaume of Bayonne was publicly burned simply because bats were seen to fly about her house and garden"

From http://www.controverscial.com/Bats.htm.

Yes...we all have bats in our bellfry, LOL

"It was commonly thought that witches used the blood of bats as an ingredient when making flying ointment, and further, to boost the powers of their magickal brews and potions. To the Gypsies, who were equally ostracized as witches, bats were seen as the bearers of good luck; they even prepared small bags containing dead bat bones for children to wear around their necks as charms". "In medieval Europe, bats were commonly thought to be witches’ familiars. In France 1332, Lady Jacaume of Bayonne was publicly burned simply because bats were seen to fly about her house and garden"

From http://www.controverscial.com/Bats.htm.

Thanks, Autumn Moon, (and what a lovely name you have!),

I suddenly feel intrigued by the image of the bat, having seen a bat tattoo which I really liked. I suddenly wondered what the link was with Witchcraft! Thanks for this great link!

Kind regs,

Heks wickedwitch.gif

I remember another story regarding bats.

Years ago, when I was studying in Scotland, I had a Palestinian flatmate, and she said that her aunt, in the Gaza strip, had applied batblood onto her daughter's private parts so that she would never grow any hair down below. According to my flatmate, it worked for about 90%!

thought I would share this here!

Heks

Years ago, when I was studying in Scotland, I had a Palestinian flatmate, and she said that her aunt, in the Gaza strip, had applied batblood onto her daughter's private parts so that she would never grow any hair down below. According to my flatmate, it worked for about 90%!

Heks

Glad you liked the info.

I have to say, why would an aunt want that for her daughter...unless she was a seer and saw into the future for a trend (LOL), such as has been occurring for a few years now!

Bat's blood on a pussy, now I have heard everything.

The link in my post mentions about preventing hair loss by mixing bats wing with coconut oil...maybe it works differently on the head.

The real issue isn't whether or not bats, black cats, etc. are traditionally associated with Witchcraft by mundane folks, but whether or not "real" traditional Craft practices make the connection. We all know that somehow bats came to be associated with Witchcraft, as evidence from the number of fake bats sold every year at Halloween, but is there a true connection?

Being both allegedly scary and mysterious, at least according to folklore, may be the only true link between Witches and bats, for all we know. A lot, but not all, of what I have read is pure conjecture, sometimes from a mythological view, but also often from perspectives with an accusatory slant, making it suspicious, though not necessarily unreliable testimony.

If a person is a Witch in any Tradition, who likes and/or chooses to work with bats or any other creature, that is all the answer needed, in my opinion.

Jevne

Being both allegedly scary and mysterious, at least according to folklore, may be the only true link between Witches and bats, for all we know.

True, this would seem as though they have something in common here.
If a person is a Witch in any Tradition, who likes and/or chooses to work with bats or any other creature, that is all the answer needed, in my opinion.

Jevne

I agree, I think that it is if the person chooses for the bat to be a connection then it is their connection.

True, this would seem as though they have something in common here.

I agree, I think that it is if the person chooses for the bat to be a connection then it is their connection.

I don't know that we really get to decide what creature we connect with... left to my own devices, I would've chosen less spooky or at least cuter animals than what I've been granted. Spider, Great Horned Owl and Snake have all been mine and I am soooooo glad to have them! But, i must say it took a bit of research before I saw how very cool they are in their own right. I had to look hard at what was really happening -rather than what I wanted.....ya know? I like www.linsdomain.com/totems.htm for animal answers. Hope you like.:Spider-1:

I don't know that we really get to decide what creature we connect with... left to my own devices, I would've chosen less spooky or at least cuter animals than what I've been granted. Spider, Great Horned Owl and Snake have all been mine and I am soooooo glad to have them! But, i must say it took a bit of research before I saw how very cool they are in their own right. I had to look hard at what was really happening -rather than what I wanted.....ya know? I like www.linsdomain.com/totems.htm for animal answers. Hope you like.:Spider-1:

I am phobic about spiders. I found out that they are something of a "Shadow Totem" if you subscribe to Native American ways. There was no denying that the little buggers would run at me if they were within 20 feet of me!!! My husband and children can attest to this phenominon and i must say that although I've spent 2 years learning about them.........they still seek me out. It is getting better though.....

Hi Heks,

Hmmm Bats and Witches? Could it possibly be the Nocturnal and Crepuscular habits of both? Could it be connected to the Vampire mythos or Lilith, Dragons, Succubi and other assorted creatures not necessarily of our World, but depicted with Bat wings?

Bats are interesting creatures, in england they are insectivores, and their reputation for divebombing people is due to how tasty humans are to gnats and mosquitos - which the bat considers quite a lovely snack.

They are also considered a liminal creature between a mouse and a bird, making them quite mysterious and unusual.

They sleep upside down (Hanged Man anyone?) a position that would make the hardiest man fall faint if he tried to assume it for any true length of time.

They hear so much, just the simplest noise they issue and the ripples and reverberations as that sound echoes gives them all the information they require to navigate and thrive in the dark.

Are they intrinsically linked with witchcraft? Not necessarily, but like any animal that has representation of power or states of inbetween, they are a creature we can learn much from in terms of physical behaviour and spiritual links.

Glad you liked the info.

I have to say, why would an aunt want that for her daughter...unless she was a seer and saw into the future for a trend (LOL), such as has been occurring for a few years now!

Bat's blood on a pussy, now I have heard everything.

The link in my post mentions about preventing hair loss by mixing bats wing with coconut oil...maybe it works differently on the head.

Dear Autumn Moon,

yes, indeed, I saw the link between bat blood and preventing hairloss so am a bit puzzled.

The answer to the question as to why the aunt would do this is because Muslim women remove all pubic hair, either through waxing (ouch) or shaving, so that's why!

Kind regs,

Heks

Thanks! What made you chose yours?

Heks means Witch in Dutch, and I am Flemish, from Belgium and my mum used to call me Heks my whole life, lol!

kind regs,

Heks grin_witch.gif

edited to say that she would only call me Heks if she thought that I'd been particularly crafty or intelligent, even though she may not have approved of what I had done or said!

Could it possibly be the Nocturnal and Crepuscular habits of both?

Dear Seed,

Well, I have always been nocturnal, and I like nothing better than to stay up all night! Sometimes, I simply stay up and don't sleep! But as I work from 8.15 until 3 every day, this can only happen in the holidays, as otherwise I will feel dizzy during the day!

Kind regs,

Heks

They sleep upside down (Hanged Man anyone?)

Dear 8people,

I think it's a great link you have made there! I shall now always think of bats when I see this card!

Thank you,

Kind regs,

Heks

Hi Heks,

Hmmm Bats and Witches? Could it possibly be the Nocturnal and Crepuscular habits of both? Could it be connected to the Vampire mythos or Lilith, Dragons, Succubi and other assorted creatures not necessarily of our World, but depicted with Bat wings?

Good points.....

To add Angels are generally depicted with white, feathered wings.. Whereas devils have tended to be depicted with Bats wings..

Many drawings or paintings of the classic witches sabbat depict the Devil or devils with bats wings...

The Devil card in the Rider Waite deck also has the Devil adorning bats wings... Caves have been viewed gateways to hell, or openings for demons or devils to pass into our realm... as witchcraft and Satanism are one and the same in xtian teachings it is easy to see how these connections have overlapped..

Like others have said there is much symbolism or comparisons you could find regarding to bats and witches, particularly in the past: hidden in the shadows, working nocturnally while the masses are sleeping etc to name a couple...,,

Got Meatloaf going round my head now lol I do love that song....

You know there are some references about this " Hanging Upside-Down " and the connection to the mythos of Odin and the World Tree. If memory serves me right, I'll have to do some digging on this also, that the majority of Shamans agree or have stated that " Man should not be walking on the earth, but feet are planted and walking within the sky " To visualize a human creature upside-down to them ( Shamans ) is as natural to us to visulize ourselves upon the earth and it's grounded Terra-Firma. lol !

I have to agree with Seed also, that the " tween - times " with these creatures are to say none the less interesting, species that only come out during these "tween-times", interests me, as those " times " are what I have come to know as " thresholds ". Are they offering a clue to me?

I love the orginal account of the word " threshold " Old English : Therescold or Threscold meaning to Tread... howmany out there are familiar with the word Tread ? Treading the Path, Treading the Mill..... ect. :thinking: Threshold, interesting .

But then again I think of rats...... rats like those " tween - times " also, and no wings either. Mhmmm...

Regards,

Gypsy

Heks

Now this just makes me shake my head............ I guess I will just have to wait until one of my 8 cat minions catch a bat to experiment with this new knowledge, my dear Heks ! I don't see myself running about with a net, in my near future, as an attempt. LOL ! Taking this thought process to a whole new level ! < Big Grin >

Regards,

Gypsy

Now this just makes me shake my head............ I guess I will just have to wait until one of my 8 cat minions catch a bat to experiment with this new knowledge, my dear Heks ! I don't see myself running about with a net, in my near future, as an attempt. LOL ! Taking this thought process to a whole new level ! < Big Grin >

Regards,

Gypsy

hahaha, I am laughing so much now! Yes, well I thought I'd share this piece of information with you guys and girls!

kind regs,

Heks

The answer to the question as to why the aunt would do this is because Muslim women remove all pubic hair, either through waxing (ouch) or shaving, so that's why!

Kind regs,

Heks

Um, maybe I should not ask this, but...why? Is there some sort of religious significance to it?

Um, maybe I should not ask this, but...why? Is there some sort of religious significance to it?

I don't know why, I only know that they all do it! men as well, lol! and men shave their armpit hair as well!.

kind regs,

Heks thinking.gif

A lot of arabic and middle eastern countries before islam arrived on the scene had traditions of removing body hair for hygene and similarly practical reasons, the practices became less relevant as different developments and understandings of the body and functions improved, however much like the kosher and cleanliness laws in judaism removal of body hair was codified in the rise of islam; As a faith that can prove they have the healthiest, strongest congregations draws admiration and more followers. It flourishes on the strength of its community.

A lot of arabic and middle eastern countries before islam arrived on the scene had traditions of removing body hair for hygene and similarly practical reasons, the practices became less relevant as different developments and understandings of the body and functions improved, however much like the kosher and cleanliness laws in judaism removal of body hair was codified in the rise of islam; As a faith that can prove they have the healthiest, strongest congregations draws admiration and more followers. It flourishes on the strength of its community.

Help me with my confusion 8's, I always understood that the Jewish faith, males in preference, did not apply a razor to their faces, but only during a mourning time. And/or possibly shaved their entire heads, as well as those curley ques thingies just infront of their ears ? After they rent their garments in two, also. This is getting off topic, but I'm a bit confused with this. Sorry Peers.:confused:

Regards,

Gypsy

Archived