Photo
- - - - -

Mandatory Intro for Newbies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

Hellooooo!!

I was just thinking about this... we've had a bunch of new members lately, and while I'm glad our numbers are growing, I'd also like to know something about these folks and their background before answering questions.

Is there any way to "force" a newbie's first post to be in the Intro area?

It REALLY would be nice to know about who we're talking to... KWIM??

Thanks! Cairelle :cool:

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#2 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:27 AM

Hellooooo!!

I was just thinking about this... we've had a bunch of new members lately, and while I'm glad our numbers are growing, I'd also like to know something about these folks and their background before answering questions.

Is there any way to "force" a newbie's first post to be in the Intro area?

It REALLY would be nice to know about who we're talking to... KWIM??

Thanks! Cairelle :cool:

Yeah unfortunately there isn't a way to force them to do the intros...but we can suggest that they do :)

The one thing for them is that they HAVE to post a certain number of times before they can see the good stuff on here LOL

It is always nice to have the intro so that you get to know the newbie as well :)

#3 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

Well, maybe we can make it a rule that no questions are answered, etc, until an introductory post is done.

??

:D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#4 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

well you can actually put in the rules that before you post on any of the boards you must post an intro about your interests in witchcraft. There can be a 7 day limit taht if you do join but dont post an intro you will be booted.

#5 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

Well, maybe we can make it a rule that no questions are answered, etc, until an introductory post is done.

??

:D

We can bring it up to Sands & Brian...

#6 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

Yeah...let's give them a complex :stinky: before we start really working on them! Yippee!

#7 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

Yeah...let's give them a complex :stinky: before we start really working on them! Yippee!

LOL!!

I'm not trying to be mean, honest. It's just that people come in and ask random questions that I'd like to answer but it's hard sometimes when I don't know where someone's coming from, KWIM?

We've also had some "misunderstandings" because people just come in and post stuff, and it's misinterpreted. I think mandatory intros would help with that as well. :D

#8 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:21 PM

:juggle:...just kiddin' around ;)

#9 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

;) hopefully I've managed to set this up. From now on new users will be able to see threads and posts but will only be able to post in the Introduction forum. Once they have done this they should be automatically given posting rights on other forums. I'll add to Sandy's post on Forum guidelines to say new users should post an intor if they wish to post elsewhere on the forum.

Let's see if it works ;)

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#10 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:26 PM

Thanks Brian :)

#11 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

I'll also start going through the member list with a view to deleting those who haven't logged in in over 6 months or so. They can always re join should they so wish ;)
Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#12 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

Good thanks...we have alot of great newbies with alot of great posting potential :)

#13 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

This thread actually made me realize I never did an Intro and just did it earlier today...lol

#14 soap fairy

soap fairy

fluffy chaos instigator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:15 AM

Good lord did I ever introduce myself??? How rude if I didn't!:eek:
:cloud9: floating through life on a cloud of bubbles

#15 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:42 AM

;) hopefully I've managed to set this up. From now on new users will be able to see threads and posts but will only be able to post in the Introduction forum. Once they have done this they should be automatically given posting rights on other forums. I'll add to Sandy's post on Forum guidelines to say new users should post an intor if they wish to post elsewhere on the forum.

Let's see if it works ;)

Ooooh... you're so sweet!! Thanks, Brian... :hugs: I really think it's a good way to get to know people that want to participate in the group.

#16 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:46 AM

Yeah we have a really great start so far...I hope it doubles actually by Christmas LOL

#17 Guest_PathWalker_*

Guest_PathWalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

Posted mine hun... *snicker*