* * * * * 2 votes

the foundational basics

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

There are some good recommendations offered in this thread, if I were to add to it it would be to be yourself, look inwards to what your intuition is telling you and spend time on your own in quiet reflection, this is when its possible to sense whats around us. We often have busy lives and its difficult to find time for ourselves, but it is important not to let life get in the way.

#62 Wych Elm

Wych Elm

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

Youtube is a nightmare. I've found good videos by people who have then turned out to be frauds. One particular hoodoo guy turned out to be a racist, homophobic bully who is despised by the genuine hoodoo practitioners. So called experienced witches who post self-victimising videos about how they don't know what to do because they're being bullied and trying to get people to feel sorry for them. Well you're not much of a witch then are you! I wonder if the real way to test a witch is how she/he copes when the proverbial hits the fan. And I don't think that magic is always the answer. It can take more courage to pick up the phone and challenge someone than burrow yourself in your room doing a spell. You can always do some magic work to help things along. I did a spell to boot someone up the arse to do something and it actually ended up booting me up the arse to deal with the person in the mundane.
For identifying trees & plants I have found some good idiot guides on youtube. I found one video on a guy giving a lesson in a wood to people. So he had the trees next to him and pointed out little things with the leaves & stuff. I've got books but they aren't that helpful for me. I tend to study them, think I've got it all sussed and then go outside and just think 'oh god everything's green, it all looks the same!'. So I definitely do better with someone saying 'this is a leaf'. Yup. Got it.

Dance me through to the stillness, to the point where the motion begins. Dance me through to the silence, to the edge where the world begins. - Kathryn Price NicDhana

#63 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

For identifying trees & plants I have found some good idiot guides on youtube.

Thank you very much. I never thought to look for help in plant identification on youtube.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#64 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

. . . To Know - as others have said, know yourself is definitely the most important. It's also important to know your craft and how things work (either through study or personal gnosis). Also, a rather important thing to know is when to act or when to hold back. So many times I think people new to the craft will jump in head first and think that they know it all. Real wisdom is knowing your limitations and knowing when you aren't ready. . .

After a conversation with a new-ish Witch a few days ago, I got to thinking about the subject of recognizing your personal limitations, especially in regards to the Craft. The individual in question, having enjoyed some success with her practice, has decided to set herself up as an authority on . . . (and here is the kicker), not only Witchy topics, but other areas of life, such as relationships, home life, health, psychological well-being, etc. (None of which she is even remotely qualified to comment on; let alone proclaim herself knowledgable.) The scenario that put me over the top was in regard to her handling of a situation at her work, involving an obviously emotionally compromised young woman. The details are irrelevant, but suffice to say the individual was neither mundanely or magically competent to address it. But, by golly that didn't keep her from offering all kinds of ego-driven advice on how the person "should" handle it. The thing is her magic-related suggestion may not have fixed things, but it would have helped. I have no idea why this person feels the need to declare herself the all knowing, all powerful, I can grant all your wishes, answer life's questions - type. Apparently, I was being intolerant and (gasp) not nice for arguing this point, but yeah, whatever . . . (idiot).

#65 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

After a conversation with a new-ish Witch a few days ago, I got to thinking about the subject of recognizing your personal limitations, especially in regards to the Craft. The individual in question, having enjoyed some success with her practice, has decided to set herself up as an authority on . . . (and here is the kicker), not only Witchy topics, but other areas of life, such as relationships, home life, health, psychological well-being, etc. (None of which she is even remotely qualified to comment on; let alone proclaim herself knowledgable.) The scenario that put me over the top was in regard to her handling of a situation at her work, involving an obviously emotionally compromised young woman. The details are irrelevant, but suffice to say the individual was neither mundanely or magically competent to address it. But, by golly that didn't keep her from offering all kinds of ego-driven advice on how the person "should" handle it. The thing is her magic-related suggestion may not have fixed things, but it would have helped. I have no idea why this person feels the need to declare herself the all knowing, all powerful, I can grant all your wishes, answer life's questions - type. Apparently, I was being intolerant and (gasp) not nice for arguing this point, but yeah, whatever . . . (idiot).

Low self-esteem perhaps. It is very frustrating, especially to those skilled in an area,

#66 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

This deeply interested me as I run a website where I answer questions from newbie witches. What started out as me expecting to answer basic questions on the lines of "what colour candle is best etc etc..." has evolved into a situation where some days I just cannot believe my own inbox. (My son has autism, is he possessed? I cut myself as much as I can but I need more blood to do better spellwork....). Real chill down the spine stuff. The ignorance out there is terrifying.

As my site has grown and as the questions I receive are of such a diverse magnitude, I have had to become more and more honest with myself about my limitations. Humilty, not arrogance is required when dealing with the emotional and spiritual lives of other people. It would be wrong, foolish and dangerous of me even to think I have all the answers. As such there are now many questions where I have sought the opinion of others before answering. And not just witches but doctors, counsellors, lol even a Christian priest. And in many cases I refer individuals to their own GP, to the Samaritans, even to their vet! So for me, it is not my own all knowing mind (hehe, as if) that benefits my readers, more the fact that I have access to knowledge and resources that the average newbie witch can use as a starting point to resolve whatever problem they are asking for help with.

I think if you set yourself up in a position to give advice to others you need to be brutally honest about your motives for doing so. You cannot afford it to be an ego trip. If you are not motivated by a genuine desire to help then you have no business trying to play the guru. And you cannot afford for one second to believe you know it all. Indeed, you must understand how very little you do actually know. I see myself more as a channel for obtaining the information and guidance that my young readers need. And I don't impose my own solutions on them either, often I will offer several ways to view their problem and help them to reach a conclusion themselves rather than trying to impose my own will.

To be honest, I think 95% of what I offer on my site is plain old common sense. You would not have to be an experienced witch to answer most of the questions I get asked. I was (unbelievably) asked the other day by a young girl if I could just look into her future and tell her whether she should have an abortion or not. I'd be completely certifiable to offer an opinion! I prompted her gently to consider all the implications of keeping her baby, to reach her own independent decision and to seek counselling and medical advice as soon as possible. But I do shudder to think how some of these people would fare in the hands of those on an ego trip. I can see some megalamanic know it all making that decision for her. It could end in catastrophe and it frightens me.
(Same as it scares me to think of how the idiot who asked me "Just how much Datura should I take to feel good?" might be answered....)

People who offer the ego driven advice in the example given by Jevne really frustrate me. There is no desire to help others, they just want to look good. They will likely end up doing more harm than good. Their own arrogance will prevent them from seeking advice and support from others and the one dimensional quick fix they offer is risky at best. They boost their own limited ego at the expense of those at their most vulnerable.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#67 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

People who offer the ego driven advice in the example given by Jevne really frustrate me. There is no desire to help others, they just want to look good. They will likely end up doing more harm than good. Their own arrogance will prevent them from seeking advice and support from others and the one dimensional quick fix they offer is risky at best. They boost their own limited ego at the expense of those at their most vulnerable.

I would be concerned with offering any advice outside of the scope of what was originally intended, as doing so could open someone up to legal repercussions. Of course, in my profession that sort of thing is a big, ethical no-no, anyway, which makes me extremely cautious.

#68 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

I am the thing that goes BUMP in the night!

Thought this may be an interesting read for those interested in the Practice/Experience thread. 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#69 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

Bumping again...

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#70 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:03 AM

What I'm working on right now, before anything else, is meditation, grounding, and shielding.  I do some basic pathworking, which I've been doing my entire life anyways.  I want to start working on contacting my spirit guide as well, but I'm not really sure how to go about that.  Chanelling energy as well as been something I've been practising and paying attention to.  I think it's best I get my mind right before I start doing any spells or rituals.  

#71 Anth77

Anth77

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

It all starts within, then in a circular fashion, working outwardly to it's uttermost climax  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  The foundation is oneself. Every witch creative in there own way, accept for those fortunate enough to have them passed down through the generations in there families.