70 replies to this topic

#1 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:25 AM

What are the foundational skills of witchcraft?
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#2 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

In think 3 things are essential:
The first is being able to draw/channel energy and use this to spell your intent and bring about your desired result. Power to your spells.
The second is to know that you are a Witch and have confidence in your abilities.
The third is to have an open mind, both consciously and also open your psychic mind through meditation.

After this go with whatever your crooked path takes you, but make time to sit outside both in day and night and listen. More will come to you that way than you can even imagine!

So my foundational basics are focussed on mindset and energy. If you can't channel energy or draw on the web of Wyrd then in my opinion you are not a Witch.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#3 Hannah

Hannah

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

After this go with whatever your crooked path takes you, but make time to sit outside both in day and night and listen. More will come to you that way than you can even imagine!

So my foundational basics are focussed on mindset and energy. If you can't channel energy or draw on the web of Wyrd then in my opinion you are not a Witch.

Love this, thank you Tana! Feels like a BS free, distillation of the fundamentals!

I really like your advise on sitting outside too. For the longest time i worked according to moon cycles and the seasonal cycles, i used to spend so much time outside as a kid and the relationship with my Craft and natural cycles evolved that way, i grew up with it, it wasn't prescribed or book learned. Then in my adult life for a period of time, i found i was too busy to notice the cycles myself so would rely on a calendar and "wheel of the year" to inform my practice. After about 10 years of that, i found the relationship and potency of working with a lunar and natural cycles was withering away. I was just going through the motions. So i made time to go outside, day and night, to just sit, feel and intuit what i observed and felt around me. I found my own energetic cycles and those of the world, lunar and seasonal cycles come to life again.

I would describe the basics as being about authentic relationships and interaction. Being able to build a relationship and interact with the spirit of whatever you use in your craft. I don't mean ghost when i say spirit, i mean something more like an energetic essence. So could be the energetic essence of a person, a herb, a deity (if you believe in that), a stone, planet, moon, water, wine, cords, ancestor, animal, ...literally anything animate or inanimate, tangible or intangible. There are so many ways to build relationships and interact, but taking time to sense and listen are at the core of this skill (As Tana as so succinctly phrased).

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

I would say (much as the others have) to develope a connection. There is an inherrent energy within the earth whether you call if sprowl, land energy, serpent energy, etc. It ebbs and flows with the seasons of one's geographical area. I would say the best place to start is to learn how to feel it. If you can't feel it and connect with it, then you can't power a spell, you can't sense changes in energy, you can't sense danger or opportunity, you can't sense contact or the nature of the contact. Learn to feel this energy, and learn to feel the changes in it, and to feel it's anticipation of changes. Learn to feel the "invisible" world/s. Second I'd say learn to cross the hedge and learn who those are that guide and/or protect you and how to work with them. If you can sense energy you should now be able to sense their presence. I think one of the biggest and hardest things to do, and one of the first that must be addressed and in this culture constantly reinforced, is to change one's view of the world and how it works. To see the magical in everyday and everyday things. To not relegate the "magical world" to only when one happens to be doing a spell or purposefully interacting with it, but to see its forces at work in every aspect of life and one's life, from direct spirit-interaction to working at your office, the world hasn't changed, merely your actions within it have changed. Every thing one does must be done with a view of the world as magical, and that for me was one of the hardest and longest-coming, and it is something I have to reinforce constantly - especially at work, lol.

M

#5 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

POPULAR

I really like what Tana had to say. I think mine are a bit similar but I will share anyway...

I would say that the very foundation of witchcraft skills is for the witch to know themselves and to have complete control over themselves. It seems like a no-brainer but really in this day and age and with so many coming into witchcraft from religions and lifestyles that had them answering to someone else this is really essential. It's essential for everyone but it's going to come easier for some and not quite so easy for others. So get to know yourself through meditation, divination, or whatever works and then take the reigns in your life. Practice your own will power, shape yourself to be who it is you feel you need to be. Only when you make peace with yourself and own yourself and your life can you start to build on your path. It's the whole sandy foundation vs. firm foundation thing. Date yourself and shape yourself. ;)

Also connecting with the magic/energy around you- in yourself, in nature, in any allies you may have. I mean this on the basic level of first acknowledging and accepting and then seeking out a relationship through meditation, divination, offerings, or whatever else may work for you. This will also help to open your eyes and self to the "enchanted world" that we live in. This is a very short explanation for something that is complex and deeper than a paragraph can convey.

Going along with all of this I would say shut your mouth. This goes along with practicing will power especially in the age of the internet and social networking but I do think that magic workings need to be kept to oneself and in "crafting the witch" turning into a bit of a figurative hermit not only builds the skills of "being silent" but also keeps you in complete ownership of yourself. When you share your journey that is precisely what you are doing- sharing. Now I am not suggesting locking yourself in your bedroom and not talking to anyone ever about this but be very aware of what it is you are speaking about and to who. Own yourself and respect yourself and your path. Think of it as a very passionate relationship. When we go around blabbing about every detail of our sex life with our lover to people it can cheapen it. We also, these days, tend to want validation and acceptance from the crowd. Keeping things to ourselves is a way of making the journey our own and not the product of someone else's influence. And when we don't concern ourselves with welcoming others into it all we have more time and energy for it as well as a deeper focus. At least that's my opinion.

So knowing one's self, opening up to the enchanted world and the "other", and keeping one's mouth shut about it.

Thanks for this thread, Sara. It's been interesting to think on this morning.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#6 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

I really like what Tana had to say. I think mine are a bit similar but I will share anyway...

I would say that the very foundation of witchcraft skills is for the witch to know themselves and to have complete control over themselves. It seems like a no-brainer but really in this day and age and with so many coming into witchcraft from religions and lifestyles that had them answering to someone else this is really essential. It's essential for everyone but it's going to come easier for some and not quite so easy for others. So get to know yourself through meditation, divination, or whatever works and then take the reigns in your life. Practice your own will power, shape yourself to be who it is you feel you need to be. Only when you make peace with yourself and own yourself and your life can you start to build on your path. It's the whole sandy foundation vs. firm foundation thing. Date yourself and shape yourself. ;)

Also connecting with the magic/energy around you- in yourself, in nature, in any allies you may have. I mean this on the basic level of first acknowledging and accepting and then seeking out a relationship through meditation, divination, offerings, or whatever else may work for you. This will also help to open your eyes and self to the "enchanted world" that we live in. This is a very short explanation for something that is complex and deeper than a paragraph can convey.

Going along with all of this I would say shut your mouth. This goes along with practicing will power especially in the age of the internet and social networking but I do think that magic workings need to be kept to oneself and in "crafting the witch" turning into a bit of a figurative hermit not only builds the skills of "being silent" but also keeps you in complete ownership of yourself. When you share your journey that is precisely what you are doing- sharing. Now I am not suggesting locking yourself in your bedroom and not talking to anyone ever about this but be very aware of what it is you are speaking about and to who. Own yourself and respect yourself and your path. Think of it as a very passionate relationship. When we go around blabbing about every detail of our sex life with our lover to people it can cheapen it. We also, these days, tend to want validation and acceptance from the crowd. Keeping things to ourselves is a way of making the journey our own and not the product of someone else's influence. And when we don't concern ourselves with welcoming others into it all we have more time and energy for it as well as a deeper focus. At least that's my opinion.

So knowing one's self, opening up to the enchanted world and the "other", and keeping one's mouth shut about it.

Thanks for that! i've marked the post up, It's really brought some clairity to some things i'm going through at the moment!

Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#7 Shadow Touch

Shadow Touch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

All really good answers from everyone. My personal system has a basic structure in terms of what we do and the training involved. We call this system the gathered thorns, which is a set of skills we work to master. There are five skills, which are represented by the five tips of a five-pointed star imagery. The phases of training are: herbalist, seer, spirit medium, mystic and magic user. The order is not fixed, and within each skill there are related facets. I don't regard this as definitive, meaning that I wouldn't say that a person has to subscribe to this in order to be a witch. I simply see it as what is done in my system in order to have a standard for its practitioners.
A thorn-blooded witch of the Old Ways

#8 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Great answers everyone. I really think this topic will help new members and people interested in witchcraft.

I have been doing the witchcraft thing for nearly a decade now in one form or another. And I have found a few things I think are my basics:

A real honed will and desire.

Ability to gather up and direct power.

Skill to see the unseen--be that visualizing your goal, seeing into other realms, or seeing through other people's facades.

Discipline and follow through.

I think these skills can always be improved upon and that they are some of the foundational basics of witchcraft.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#9 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

All really good answers from everyone. My personal system has a basic structure in terms of what we do and the training involved. We call this system the gathered thorns, which is a set of skills we work to master. There are five skills, which are represented by the five tips of a five-pointed star imagery. The phases of training are: herbalist, seer, spirit medium, mystic and magic user. The order is not fixed, and within each skill there are related facets. I don't regard this as definitive, meaning that I wouldn't say that a person has to subscribe to this in order to be a witch. I simply see it as what is done in my system in order to have a standard for its practitioners.

Shadowtouch, I am interested in what you mean by mystic and the subcatecories of these 5 skills if you are willing and able to share.

#10 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Everything I've thought of as what I consider the 'basics' of what I would consider witchcraft can be distilled to the three things that Tana listed. As I have said before I do feel that awareness of the magic of the universe we live in is highly important but without action and results, I wouldn't personally consider someone with just 'awareness' a witch.

This thread was a great idea Sara, since so many new people come here and are curious about exactly what we all mean when we speak of 'being witches'. Voted it up. :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#11 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:03 AM

I like every one's posts.

For me -

1. be able to draw and collect energy/force to power the working

2. be able to direct the power collected to attain the goal of the working (and with that, be specific and clear about your goal, because ambiguity can fizzle a working out or worse get you something unintended or/and unwanted)

3. be able to disperse energy/force.

#12 Asile

Asile

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:58 AM

I am so glad you posted this so bluntly about, "keeping our mouths shut". As I am new to the Craft, I can get very excited when learning new concepts, or crossing new boundries. I needed that reminder to keep myself in check.

I have also been focusing (and accepting), for the first time in my life, on getting to know who I AM not who I am suppose to be. I do regret it took me so long to acknowledge the natural inclination that I seem to have towards the Craft. I wish I would have explored any of this when I was younger, instead of fearing it.

Asile

#13 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:41 AM

I agree with what say about bringing in energy, focusing it and sending it out. One thing I have to add it confidence. You have to be sure of yourself and what you're doing. Doubt can screw up everything you're trying for, so you have to be confident of yourself, your abilities and your goal.

#14 MoonWood11

MoonWood11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

this is good. i completely agree here. this is where i find myself..and, sometimes..when i read online about all the "stuff" seasoned witches and newbies are doing and post, I think..wow, maybe, i am like in the remedial slow class here....but, this confirms that my methods are building a solid foundation for me in witchcraft..and, i need not be in a hurry. As long as I'm growing at my own rate...I am growing. Only a fool builds his house on sand. good topic sara :) as usual

“After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul, and you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning and company doesn’t mean security, and you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts and presents aren’t promises, and you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes open, with the grace of an adult, not the grief of a child, and you learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans. After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much. So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers. And you learn that you really can endure… that you really are strong, and you really do have worth.” ~Veronica A. Shoffstall

#15 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

Know yourself. By this I mean your real self, the self that you try to keep from others. Your faults, weaknesses, fears and doubts.
As a witch of many years I can sometimes still get freaked out when spell I do works, I will question it , feel daft and inept at the way I sometimes deal with it .
But I know this is Spinneys way, it is how Spinney has and always will deal with every day life magical or mundane. I accept this and it has helped me no end.

Be practical. By all means read whatever you want but don't expect to learn all from a book that proclaims to teach you how to be a witch. A good herbal, mushroom, tree, plant and wild animal guide (local of course) should be in your library. Gardening,self sufficiency, and even the Old Moore's Almanac will come in handy.

You are nature. You don't live along side of it. You don't need to get back to it . You are it.

Live it. This is who you are so do it. I think there a re far too many "witches" on line who need to actually log out and do some witchcraft.

These are my foundations because its all I know

#16 Sparrow

Sparrow

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Not so much skills as lessons I've learned, but hopefully still useful.

- Get off your arse and DO IT. Books are all very well, but nothing will teach you like experience will. Sometimes the books are wrong for you. Treat books as inspiration, but not as The Final Word On All Things Witchcraft.

- Look yourself in the eye daily. Ask yourself questions instead of asking other people. If you look yourself in the eye you CANNOT lie to yourself. (Wisdom from my stepfather.) I find this is the quickest, most direct way of getting straight, simple, honest answers.

- Keep records. You don't need to write down every little detail of every spell (practicality may forbid if nothing else), but keeping a record of what types of spells work, how long it was before you saw their effects, etc., is very valuable knowledge worth keeping. This ties into my other two points and those of others: you need to know what works for you. Being able to compare those things is useful.

:)

Sparrow

"All knowledge is worth having."

#17 Shadow Touch

Shadow Touch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Shadowtouch, I am interested in what you mean by mystic and the subcatecories of these 5 skills if you are willing and able to share.

I'm happy to try and explain. By the term "mystic" I mean one who can see beyond form and appearance, and one who perceives a spiritual process within all things. For example, a mystic can look at a tree and perceive a sentient being, and can look deeper and see a bridge or gateway to other realities. A non-mystic sees a tree as a source for wood, shade, fruit, or something to hide behind. B)

Regarding the subcategories, this means that each skill contains different facets within the scope of training. For example, the skill of becoming an herbalist is not only a matter of knowing plants and their properties, but also their lore, their spirits, and how to work with the various parts of plants in ritual and magic. Healing is part of this training as well. The skill of a spirit medium requires not only developing communication with the dead but also how to quell a haunting, developing methods of strengthening ancestral connection, and learning effective techniques for graveyard magic (which also involves offerings and ways of honoring the dead in order to build a rapport).

The skill of the magic user is the most complex, and requires that we learn why things work as well how they work. The subcategories here are working with elements and their spirit natures, drawing upon the primal forces of Nature (plant. animal and mineral realms), and evoking the emanations that are celestial and chthonic. The skill of the seer takes us into the divinatory arts, and the facets of training include not only such things as card reading, palmistry and tea leaf reading, but also the art of discerning omens.

The skill of the mystic involves training in esoteric lore and inner teachings of the Old Craft ways we practice. Psychic development also falls into the category of the mystic training phase. For us, the mystic training leads us deeper into a relationship with Otherworld-ness and allows us to understand the reality of such things as the bone memory of the earth and the interaction with spirits of the Plant Realm.

As I write this it starts to feel much more formal than it really is. :stars:

A thorn-blooded witch of the Old Ways

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:29 AM

- Get off your arse and DO IT. Books are all very well, but nothing will teach you like experience will. Sometimes the books are wrong for you. Treat books as inspiration, but not as The Final Word On All Things Witchcraft.

- Look yourself in the eye daily. Ask yourself questions instead of asking other people. If you look yourself in the eye you CANNOT lie to yourself. (Wisdom from my stepfather.) I find this is the quickest, most direct way of getting straight, simple, honest answers.

- Keep records. You don't need to write down every little detail of every spell (practicality may forbid if nothing else), but keeping a record of what types of spells work, how long it was before you saw their effects, etc., is very valuable knowledge worth keeping. This ties into my other two points and those of others: you need to know what works for you. Being able to compare those things is useful.

Sparrow

Like this very much . . . voted it up!

Jevne

#19 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:33 AM

Sparrow

Excellent advice, Sparrow.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#20 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:33 AM

Sparrow

I like this as well.

I'm happy to try and explain. By the term "mystic" I mean one who can see beyond form and appearance, and one who perceives a spiritual process within all things. For example, a mystic can look at a tree and perceive a sentient being, and can look deeper and see a bridge or gateway to other realities. A non-mystic sees a tree as a source for wood, shade, fruit, or something to hide behind. B)

Regarding the subcategories, this means that each skill contains different facets within the scope of training. For example, the skill of becoming an herbalist is not only a matter of knowing plants and their properties, but also their lore, their spirits, and how to work with the various parts of plants in ritual and magic. Healing is part of this training as well. The skill of a spirit medium requires not only developing communication with the dead but also how to quell a haunting, developing methods of strengthening ancestral connection, and learning effective techniques for graveyard magic (which also involves offerings and ways of honoring the dead in order to build a rapport).

The skill of the magic user is the most complex, and requires that we learn why things work as well how they work. The subcategories here are working with elements and their spirit natures, drawing upon the primal forces of Nature (plant. animal and mineral realms), and evoking the emanations that are celestial and chthonic. The skill of the seer takes us into the divinatory arts, and the facets of training include not only such things as card reading, palmistry and tea leaf reading, but also the art of discerning omens.

The skill of the mystic involves training in esoteric lore and inner teachings of the Old Craft ways we practice. Psychic development also falls into the category of the mystic training phase. For us, the mystic training leads us deeper into a relationship with Otherworld-ness and allows us to understand the reality of such things as the bone memory of the earth and the interaction with spirits of the Plant Realm.

As I write this it starts to feel much more formal than it really is. :stars:

Thankyou for explaining that. Sometimes we all have different things in mind for the same term.