My Handfasting

AnjelWolf

Ok this is a written copy of my husband & I handfasting. Though we have been legally married for many years, we wanted to do this within our faith as well.

The first time we were married (legally), the Justice of the Peace was also a witch and she married us out IN the water...not far from where we live now :) There was the full moon and full sun...equal distance equal from eachother. We both had taken this as a sign that the world was in balance for us to join as one (our previous attempts at a Christian wedding failed miserably and for awhile I asked him to separate himself from my daughters and myself so I could see if our union was the right thing. We had alot of pressures during those times. Needless to say, we married in the water...he was in his Class A Army Official Uniform and my daughters and myself had traditional island dresses on. It was a lovely and peaceful ceremony.

When we got handfasted...our daughters were again present...my husband was in his class A uniform and this time I was in my ritual wedding dress.

Since I tried with no success to load my handfasting ceremony...I had to copy and paste it on here. Enjoy :)

Handfasting of AnjelWolf & Dark SpiritWolf

Conducted by Margi, at Magical Senses (Crystal River) on January 30th, 2006

Blessing of the Hands

Margi:

AnjelWolf, please face Dark SpiritWolf, and hold his hands, palms up, so you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands, strong and vibrant with love, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises to love you all the days of his life.

These are the hands that have passionately loved and cherish you throughout the years, and shall continue to do so in a lifetime of happiness.

These are the hands that have countless times wiped the tears from your eyes: tears of sorrow and tears of joy and shall continue to do so.

These are the hands that have comforted you in illness, and held you when fear or grief rack your mind.

These are the hands that have tenderly lifted your chin and brush your cheek as they raised your face to look into his eyes: eyes that are filled completely with his love and desire for you.

Margi:

Dark SpiritWolf, please hold AnjelWolf's hands, palms up, where you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands that are smooth, strong, and carefree, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as she pledges her love and commitment to you all the days of her life.

These are the hands that have held each child in tender love, soothing them through illness and hurts, supporting and encouraging them along the way, and knowing when it's time to let go.

These are the hands that have held you tight as you struggle through difficult times. They are the hands that have comforted you when you are sick or console you when you are grieving.

These are the hands that have passionately loved and cherished you throughout the years, and shall continue to do so for a lifetime of happiness.

These are the hands that have held you in joy and excitement and hope.

These are the hands that have given you support as she encourages you to chase down your dreams. Together, everything you wish for can be realized.

Margi:

Lovely Goddess, bless the hands that you see before you this day. May they always be held by one another. Give them the strength to hold on during the storms of stress and the dark of disillusionment. Keep them tender and gentle as they nurture each other in their love. Help these hands to continue building a relationship founded in your grace, rich in caring, and devoted to reaching for your perfection. May Dark SpiritWolf and AnjelWolf see their four hands as healer, protector, shelter, and guide.

Handfasting Ritual with Six Cords

Margi:

Know now before you go further, that since your lives have crossed in this life you have formed ties between each other. As you seek to enter this state of matrimony you should strive to make real, the ideals which give meaning to both this ceremony and the institution of marriage.

With full awareness, know that within this circle you are not only declaring your intent to be handfasted before your friends and family, but you speak that intent also to your creative higher powers.

The promises made today and the ties that are bound here greatly strengthen your union; they will cross the years and lives of each soul's growth.

Do you still seek to enter this ceremony?

Dark Spirit Wolf & AnjelWolf: Yes, We Seek to Enter.

Margi:

In times past it was believed that the human soul shared characteristics with all things divine. It is this belief which assigned virtues to the cardinal directions; East, South, West and North. It is in this tradition that a blessing is offered in support of this ceremony.

Blessed be this union with the gifts of the East. Communication of the heart, mind, and body Fresh beginnings with the rising of each Sun. The knowledge of the growth found in the sharing of silences.

Blessed be this union with the gifts of the South. Warmth of hearth and home The heat of the heart's passion The light created by both To lighten the darkest of times.

Blessed be this union with the gifts of the West. The deep commitments of the lake The swift excitement of the river The refreshing cleansing of the rain The all encompassing passion of the sea.

Blessed be this union with the gifts of the North Firm foundation on which to build Fertility of the fields to enrich your lives A stable home to which you may always return.

Each of these blessings from the four cardinal directions emphasizes those things which will help you build a happy and successful union. Yet they are only tools. Tools which you must use together in order to create what you seek in this union.

I bid you look into each others eyes.

Margi: Dark SpiritWolf, Will you cause her pain?

Dark SpiritWolf: I May

Margi: Is that you intent?

Dark SpiritWolf: No

Margi: AnjelWolf, Will you cause him pain?

AnjelWolf: I may

AnjelWolf: No

Margi:: (To Both)

Will you share each other's pain and seek to ease it?

AnjelWolf & Dark SpiritWolf: Yes

Margi: And so the binding is made. Join your hands

*First cord is draped across the bride and grooms hands*

Margi: AnjelWolf, Will you share his laughter?

AnjelWolf:: Yes

Margi: Dark SpiritWolf, Will you share her laughter?

Dark SpiritWolf: Yes

Margi: (To Both)

Will both of you look for the brightness in life and the positive in each other?

Margi: And so the binding is made.

*Second chord is draped across the couples hands*

Margi: AnjelWolf, Will you burden him?

Margi: Dark SpiritWolf, Will you burden her?

Dark SpiritWolf: I may

Margi: Is that your intent?

Will you share the burdens of each so that your spirits may grow in this union?

*Drape third chord across the couples hands*

Margi: AnjelWolf, will you share his dreams?

AnjelWolf: Yes

Margi: Dark SpiritWolf, will you share her dreams?

Dark SpiritWolf: Yes

Will you dream together to create new realities and hopes?

*Drape fourth chord across the couples hands*

Margi: Dark SpiritWolf, will you cause her anger?

Dark SpiritWolf: I may

Margi: AnjelWolf, will you cause him anger?

Margi: Is that your intent?

Will you take the heat of anger and use it to temper the strength of this union?

AnjelWolf & Dark SpiritWolf: We Will

*Drape fifth chord across the couples hands*

Margi: AnjelWolf, Will you honor him?

AnjelWolf: I will

Margi: Dark SpiritWolf, Will you honor her?

Dark SpiritWolf: I will

Will you seek to never give cause to break that honor?

AnjelWolf & Dark SpiritWolf: We shall never do so

*Drape sixth chord across the couples hands*

Margi:

The knots of this binding are not formed by these chords but instead by your vows. Either of you may drop the chords, for as always, you hold in your own hands the making of breaking of this union.

Rose Ceremony

Margi:

The rose is a symbol of love and a single rose always meant only one thing - it meant the words "I love you." So it is appropriate that for your first gift - as husband and wife - that gift would be a single rose.

Please exchange your first gift as husband and wife. In some ways it seems like you have not done anything at all. Just a moment ago you were holding one small rose - and now you are holding one small rose. In some ways, a marriage ceremony is like this. In some ways, tomorrow is going to seem no different than yesterday. But in fact today, just now, you both have given and received one of the most valuable and precious gifts of life - one I hope you always remember - the gift of true and abiding love.

AnjelWolf and Dark SpiritWolf, I would ask that where ever you make your home in the future - whether it be a large and elegant home - or a small and graceful one - that you both pick one very special location for roses; so that on each anniversary of this truly wonderful occasion you both may take a rose to that spot both as a recommitment to your marriage - and a recommitment that THIS will be a marriage based upon love.

In every marriage there are times where it is difficult to find the right words. It is easiest to hurt who we most love. It is easiest to be most hurt by who we most love. It might be difficult some time to words to say "I am sorry" or "I forgive you"; "I need you" or "I am hurting". If this should happen, if you simply can not find these words, leave a rose at that spot which both of you have selected - for that rose than says what matters most of all and should overpower all other things and all other words.

That rose says the words: "I still love you." The other should accept this rose for the words which can not be found, and remember the love and hope that you both share today.

AnjelWolf and Dark SpiritWolf, if there is anything you remember of this marriage ceremony, it is that it was love that brought you here today, it is only love which can make it a glorious union, and it is by love which your marriage shall endure.

AnjelWolf : (while gives Rose to Dark SpiritWolf) This rose is like my love. It will never fade, nor die. It will last for all eternity. Throughout all of my past and future lives?you shall always be my one true love. I was born to love you. I do love you.

Dark SpiritWolf: (While gives rose to AnjelWolf) I give this rose as a symbol of my love to you. Whether near or far, my love shall always keep you safe and protected from all harm. I pledge to you my never ending love and devotion.

Awwww... that is wonderful!!

I don't know where the "transcript" for my ceremony is... I'll have to find it. I laughed and cried through mine too!!

Aaww..it's late here...and I've had some wine while trying to watch Rush HOur 1 & 2 on DVD...aftr looking at the handfasting pics and rereading our ceremony...I started to feel lonely. this is going to be a dreadfully long 2 years.

Awwww... that is wonderful!!

I don't know where the "transcript" for my ceremony is... I'll have to find it. I laughed and cried through mine too!!

Enough about my silliness...try to find your transcripts and post them already LOL I want to read them :)

Guest wortmistress

I still have my wedding one from 9 years ago- Unfortunately, haven't got time to type, maybe it'll scan and attach?:eek:

I can't find mine... but it went basically like this:

Our Wiccan friend Mark married us on our front porch, surrounded by friends and family. I had an altar-type table set up, and on it I'd placed two white candles, and a group of five different candles, each of them carved with symbols, and charged, for a specific intention applicable to our marriage. I wanted to be married at home (even though it was a gutted shell at the time) because I felt it would bring good energy to our life together if we were to start it at our new home. It was very casual. I was in a jean skirt and was barefoot, lol.

Mark started out by talking about how he'd known us the first time we were together, so long ago that he remembered our daughter Kristyn trying to shove her finger down his cat's throat; she was still in diapers, LOL! He then began the ceremony, which went something like "Friends and Family... we are gathered tonight to celebrate the handfasting of Kirk and Kim... blah, blah, blah (it sounded much better than what I'm writing, lol)."

We each took a candle and lit the colored ones as he read out our intentions for each one. When we lit the yellow one, for communication, it wouldn't stay lit and we both started laughing and I said something smartass about how we have so much trouble communicating sometimes and everyone started laughing. It did finally light though.

After that we were actually tied together with a braided cord that I'd made. He talked about being bound together... and then talked about being bound without being tied, and unwrapped the cord.

He then read something by Khalil Gibran that I'd found:

You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore. You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days. Ay, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God. But let there be spaces in your togetherness, and let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another, but make not a bond of love: let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other?s cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone."

We both think it's super important to be together alone, you know? Anyway, after that, he pronounced us (it was a legal as well as spiritual ceremony) and then offered up our wish cord to our guests. They took a long braided cord and made wishes for us as they tied a knot. As long as the knots are intact, the wishes will come true. My best friend Christine made a triple knot, lol!

We then drank and talked and ate with friends late into the night. It was a wonderful wedding/handfasting.

I can't find mine... but it went basically like this:

Our Wiccan friend Mark married us on our front porch, surrounded by friends and family. I had an altar-type table set up, and on it I'd placed two white candles, and a group of five different candles, each of them carved with symbols, and charged, for a specific intention applicable to our marriage. I wanted to be married at home (even though it was a gutted shell at the time) because I felt it would bring good energy to our life together if we were to start it at our new home. It was very casual. I was in a jean skirt and was barefoot, lol.

Mark started out by talking about how he'd known us the first time we were together, so long ago that he remembered our daughter Kristyn trying to shove her finger down his cat's throat; she was still in diapers, LOL! He then began the ceremony, which went something like "Friends and Family... we are gathered tonight to celebrate the handfasting of Kirk and Kim... blah, blah, blah (it sounded much better than what I'm writing, lol)."

We each took a candle and lit the colored ones as he read out our intentions for each one. When we lit the yellow one, for communication, it wouldn't stay lit and we both started laughing and I said something smartass about how we have so much trouble communicating sometimes and everyone started laughing. It did finally light though.

After that we were actually tied together with a braided cord that I'd made. He talked about being bound together... and then talked about being bound without being tied, and unwrapped the cord.

He then read something by Khalil Gibran that I'd found:

You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore. You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days. Ay, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God. But let there be spaces in your togetherness, and let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another, but make not a bond of love: let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other?s cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone."

We both think it's super important to be together alone, you know? Anyway, after that, he pronounced us (it was a legal as well as spiritual ceremony) and then offered up our wish cord to our guests. They took a long braided cord and made wishes for us as they tied a knot. As long as the knots are intact, the wishes will come true. My best friend Christine made a triple knot, lol!

We then drank and talked and ate with friends late into the night. It was a wonderful wedding/handfasting.

That sounded lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anjel, that was very beautiful. Same with you Kitchenwitch

Thank you...we have our candles from it and we actually light them again on the anniversary of the handfasting. This year...though I will be alone I will light the candles and repeat my vows from the rose ceremony while having his photo by my side.

• 2 months later...

Archived