Photo
- - - - -

Musical Instruments and Spell Casting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 GardeningMommy

GardeningMommy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

So I've searched through the threads, and I haven't seen much mention of anyone using music in spell casting. I'm starting to wonder if I'm some oddball here :) I am not referring to using drums or a recording to put yourself in a trance-like state, but rather, using the instrument to actually cast a spell. So, for instance, when I was little I realized that if I played an angry piece of music on the piano when I was angry, then things would start happening. I quickly realized that if focused on the person I was angry at and what I wanted to happen to them, and if I put everything I had into playing the piece while keeping this focus, then by the time I was done practicing and and gotten the piece perfect, I could pretty much count on getting results. So I guess you can say the the piano became my way to hex people. (I'll admit, it's not a quick or efficient way, but it's been my way for a long time now.) Now I've tried over the years to achieve other goals while playing the piano, and it hasn't really worked. I can play happy pieces and improve the mood and feel of my surroundings, but that's about it. So I guess my question is, do different instruments achieve different results? I do play the violin, but not very well, and I've kinda given up any hope of improving..... and I think the only thing my violin playing is good for is keeping the neighbors at bay. But the cello.... now that is something I'd love to get my hands on. For some reason, my instinct has been telling me for a very long time that there is a lot of potential there. So what do you think? Does anyone have any experience with this? What instruments do you have success with?

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

I am not musically inclined, lol, but I have used a specific short piece played on a flute at times as an invocation. If you loook into pan-pipes and the Pied Piper of Hamlin I think you will see that music can very much be used within a charm. But don't forget to pay the piper, lol.

I also think that a spell can start working before it is cast. Often, specfically with intense emotions like anger, if ruminated on one might actually start to tremble webs. That is one reason why all my spells are spoken/whispered/mutered/shouted but always said out loud, not just thought and focused while doing the candle/incense/what-have-you. I think many things and I want no mistake with what and who I work with that my thoughts are desires, hence I have established that unless I say it out loud it is but a thought.

M

#3 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

For some reason, my instinct has been telling me for a very long time that there is a lot of potential there. So what do you think? Does anyone have any experience with this? What instruments do you have success with?

Well, there are theories out there on music & spell casting- at least one that I've read about anyway-not so much in regards to specific instruments, but in reference to scales or modes. In this particular theory, it suggests that each of the seven modes correlate to a given planet and specific types of spells; that each mode naturally gives aide to during spell casting. But, that is just one theory, of course.

If you're interested- this particular theory I was reading about was heavily influenced by the Pythagorean Theory...

Pythagorean Theory of Music and Color <gotta love sacred-texts>
http://www.sacred-te...o/sta/sta19.htm

So, as far as I've read & experimented with on this particular topic, I see the potential with spell casting & music as existing in notes played-music itself, not so much in the instrument chosen.

On the other hand, if you have a personal preference or love for a particular instrument, go with that one, would be my guess. Along those lines, as a witch, I'd imagine you could potentially charm an instrument of your choice & direct it as a tool- just as you would any other tool.

Anara

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#4 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

Spellcasting via musical instruments is something I've been drawn to for a long time (over a decade lol) but still haven't worked in-depth with yet. I have used a piano for this and bought a lovely black violin 6 years ago for the purpose of charming it, but haven't finished the work yet.

Great topic, looking forward to seeing more replies! Voted it up.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#5 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

I often use singing. I can play the flute quite well, but since it has been broken I haven't done any magic with it. The key pads do not produce the right sounds. I do think there is great potential here as well, considering how apt a peice of music is to get stuck in ones head.

#6 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

The first thing that poped into my mind while reading your post, GM, was the idea of music "carrying" the spell. I can't really tell you exact fairytales or stories but I am remembering some where music is used to charm in some way. Of course we have the sirens and the Pied Piper but growing up I saw other things that suggested music "enchanted". On the one hand I do think that music does this on it's own, that it can illicit specific things in us. But I also think it can be a vehicle. Though some music sounds sweet and soft and affects as in that way stories like the sirens and the Pied Piper to me suggest that they were adding their own magic to it. So in that sense I am intrigued by using music as a vessel. I have yet to do it, I feel I have no musical talent to speak of, but come to think of it sining my children to sleep or to comfort them while they are ill or hurt may be a way I have used this charming effect without even realizing it... Of course that is only relevant to you if you count the voice as a musical instrument. :)
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#7 GardeningMommy

GardeningMommy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

That is one reason why all my spells are spoken/whispered/mutered/shouted but always said out loud, not just thought and focused while doing the candle/incense/what-have-you. I think many things and I want no mistake with what and who I work with that my thoughts are desires, hence I have established that unless I say it out loud it is but a thought.

M

Remeber that thread on whether or not intention is enough? That's actually what got me thinking about this, because while I have been accused of talking to myself while I play, it's not a conscious thing that I do. But maybe the music stands in for my words? When I pick a piece, I don't just open any music book and start playing.... I try to find one that really speaks what I am feeling, and if I can, I research it to find out what the composer was intending when he wrote it. Of course, I have a method for this now, whereas I didn't when I was a kid :)

If you're interested- this particular theory I was reading about was heavily influenced by the Pythagorean Theory...

Pythagorean Theory of Music and Color <gotta love sacred-texts>
http://www.sacred-te...o/sta/sta19.htm

So, as far as I've read & experimented with on this particular topic, I see the potential with spell casting & music as existing in notes played-music itself, not so much in the instrument chosen.

On the other hand, if you have a personal preference or love for a particular instrument, go with that one, would be my guess. Along those lines, as a witch, I'd imagine you could potentially charm an instrument of your choice & direct it as a tool- just as you would any other tool.

Anara

You are awesome! Thank you! I will definitely read this. And while I agree that which notes you pick to play have a lot to do with it, I have a sneaking suspicion that that's not all there is to it. When I listen to others play, there is a huge difference in how I feel after listening to a brass vs a string vs a woodwind instrument. And then percussion is a whole different story... that just makes me feel edgy. And even though my violin playing sucks, I could play the same song on the piano as I do on the violin, and there is a difference in the room after each is played. On one hand, music is music.... but on the other hand, I think the smooth, flowing, gentle notes that can be coaxed from a string instrument just might speak to a different potential for magic than, say, a harsher, louder, brass instrument like a trumpet.

I often use singing. I can play the flute quite well,

I'm jealous on both accounts :) I love the flute, but I've never even tried to play one. And the last time I tried to sing to my youngest, he put his little hand over my mouth and said, "No, Mommy! Hush!". Besides just being able to use words, there are things that the human voice can do that no instrument can really imitate, and yet one's voice can imitate a number of instruments. It's amazing, and very powerful, imo. I personally think that the singing voice is an awesome tool to use, so you are very lucky that you have that to work with.

Edited by GardeningMommy, 17 December 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#8 GardeningMommy

GardeningMommy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

The first thing that poped into my mind while reading your post, GM, was the idea of music "carrying" the spell. I can't really tell you exact fairytales or stories but I am remembering some where music is used to charm in some way. Of course we have the sirens and the Pied Piper but growing up I saw other things that suggested music "enchanted". On the one hand I do think that music does this on it's own, that it can illicit specific things in us. But I also think it can be a vehicle. Though some music sounds sweet and soft and affects as in that way stories like the sirens and the Pied Piper to me suggest that they were adding their own magic to it. So in that sense I am intrigued by using music as a vessel. I have yet to do it, I feel I have no musical talent to speak of, but come to think of it sining my children to sleep or to comfort them while they are ill or hurt may be a way I have used this charming effect without even realizing it... Of course that is only relevant to you if you count the voice as a musical instrument. :)

Hmmmm.... come to think of it, I seem to remember that the word "enchanted" originally meant to "to charm with music". But I could be wrong. And now that you mention it, I also seem to remember someone telling me that the reason that music is so universally used in worship services is because of the belief that the prayer is carried further when it is sung than when it's spoken. So maybe music does vibrate that unseen magical web of energy in a different way than speaking does. Interesting....

And yes, I most certainly agree that the voice can be used as a musical instrument.

#9 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

I think using music that way makes perfect sense. Music is first and foremost an emotional release, is it not?
I play a number of instruments, guitar and piano being my favorite and the ones I'm best at.

The piano has always been my instrument of choice when depressed or angry, it seems to convey negative emotions for me quite well for some reason, though I've written a good number of happy, introspective, or even rockin' pieces on it too. There have been times when I was in just a black mood, and after 45 minutes at the keys, I finally felt drained.. or cleansed, is perhaps a better way to word it. I have a number of dirges I've written, some about as black as it gets, even emulating the bells which toll at a funeral all the way down on the bottom two A octaves. I have actually gotten goosebumps while playing on some occasions.
Guitar is overall, more energetic, introspective or mysterious for me -at least, they way I play and write it is - naturally, YMMV.

Such musical releases have preserved my sanity numerous times, and I'm sure there's great power in it. Especially if music is something important and dear to you, like it is me.

I'm gonna read up on the Pythagorean music theory, cool link, thanks .. and talk about synchronicity ... in the book I'm currently reading, this is the very next page.. I was too sleepy to continue reading last night, but I noted that was the next section and am going to read it tonight.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#10 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

And while I agree that which notes you pick to play have a lot to do with it, I have a sneaking suspicion that that's not all there is to it. When I listen to others play, there is a huge difference in how I feel after listening to a brass vs a string vs a woodwind instrument. And then percussion is a whole different story... that just makes me feel edgy. And even though my violin playing sucks, I could play the same song on the piano as I do on the violin, and there is a difference in the room after each is played. On one hand, music is music.... but on the other hand, I think the smooth, flowing, gentle notes that can be coaxed from a string instrument just might speak to a different potential for magic than, say, a harsher, louder, brass instrument like a trumpet.

That is a thought provoking point you made there. Good stuff :)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#11 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:07 AM

I have to admit, I quite like this idea however I am about as musical as a brick to be honest. I wish I had musical talent lol. I find music helps me with creativity, if I'm writing something I will put on music that correlates to what I was writing about and it tends to loosen the mind a little bit. I don't see why music couldn't be used as an energy medium in spellcasting, the world over music has such power.
"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#12 GardeningMommy

GardeningMommy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

I think using music that way makes perfect sense. Music is first and foremost an emotional release, is it not?
I play a number of instruments, guitar and piano being my favorite and the ones I'm best at.

The piano has always been my instrument of choice when depressed or angry, it seems to convey negative emotions for me quite well for some reason, though I've written a good number of happy, introspective, or even rockin' pieces on it too. There have been times when I was in just a black mood, and after 45 minutes at the keys, I finally felt drained.. or cleansed, is perhaps a better way to word it. I have a number of dirges I've written, some about as black as it gets, even emulating the bells which toll at a funeral all the way down on the bottom two A octaves. I have actually gotten goosebumps while playing on some occasions.
Guitar is overall, more energetic, introspective or mysterious for me -at least, they way I play and write it is - naturally, YMMV.

I second that about the piano... it definitely made my teenaged years a lot more bearable than they would have been otherwise. It was such a good way to burn of anger or the blahs, without ever having to touch alcohol or drugs like so many of my classmates did.

So you compose? That's awesome. The only time I do my own thing with the piano is when I need to think and I just want to get lost. I play and play and play, and when I'm done I've got whatever issue I had figured out, but I can never remember what I just played. This was especially helpful when I was in college... I solved so much of my physics homework in this manner :)

#13 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

I second that about the piano... it definitely made my teenaged years a lot more bearable than they would have been otherwise. It was such a good way to burn of anger or the blahs, without ever having to touch alcohol or drugs like so many of my classmates did.

So you compose? That's awesome. The only time I do my own thing with the piano is when I need to think and I just want to get lost. I play and play and play, and when I'm done. I've got whatever issue I had figured out, but I can never remember what I just played. This was especially helpful when I was in college... I solved so much of my physics homework in this manner :)

Weird thing about piano with me, I've really only ever played original pieces on it, since I was around 10. I just experimented all the time, I was drawn to it. I only know maybe 2 "commercial" songs total if that. (I started to teach myself Moonlight Sonata but it got to be too much to remember- I don't read music) I have a somewhat primitive technique, being self taught, but it gets the job done. After 40 years at it, I've gotten better and less and less primitive.
I also do a little home recording. I wrote, played and recorded our wedding song for my wife. Unfortunately for her, I also sang on it. :whistling:
Guitar, OTOH, very different. I do original and cover tunes. I consider it my main instrument. I've been in about 8 bands, some original, but mostly cover.

You should really keep a tape or digital recorder around for when those moments of inspiration strike. I'd have lost tens of pieces if I didn't do that. I've got tapes and tapes of stuff now.

BTW, drums (as in full drum kit) are another great outlet for anger or frustration. Fun as hell too, and good exercise! ;) But drumming has never struck me as all that magical, which is funny considering that it is for a great many people. Rhythm, alone, for me, feels like it's missing something.. I need a melody! (maybe that's why I hate rap)

9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#14 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

I love the idea of musical instruments as part of the spell.

I've always been drawn to african drums and strangley enough, I know how to play conga drums without any lessons. A few times in Disney (Oh how I love Disney world) At the Epcot center in the African land they have a group of drums for visitors to bang on. I always wind up sitting and playing them, becoming almost like in a trance and very much unaware of everyone around me. When I come to my senses I usually notice a crowd watching me and enjoying my beat. :)

I think for me, if I were to use instruments in any spell, drums would definitely be the instrument of choice.

I would love to hear some of your piano playing if ever you get some on audio sometime. :)

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#15 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

I have moved Grym's link to his own music and related posts to a new thread in Private chit chat.
This was in response to his last post "I just wish I had checked to see if this was a public or private forum first, d'oh! "
I have left the rest of the post here as the OP is a seeker and at present cannot access Private areas.
Sorry to the seekers interested in the beautiful music Grim composed, but you will be able to see and hear it when your membership upgrades!

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#16 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Very interesting post, GardeningMommy, has started. I had been pondering similar questions myself. I've yet to actually incorporate my musical instrument into spell casting but it's something I definitely will do in future.

I play piano as well although now i no longer have a piano - just a cheap keyboard. Very cheap, okay? we're talking 65 keys and not touch sensitive. I don't find the keyboard resonates very much energy. Perhaps I've not paid attention as I'm distracted usually by where the keyboard exists (in our basement). When I play my mom's grand piano, I'm always struck by the energy that surrounds the instrument.

I am also learning to play classical guitar. Every time i play, I instinctively first light a candle. It's just something I feel drawn to do. I light a candle and then begin to practice my technique and play my repertoire. The entire session seems to flow better when I treat the guitar playing as something sacred or magical?

I can't offer suggestions on how to incorporate the actual instrument into one's spells because this is something I need to ponder. I'm sure it will enhance the strength of the spell however. I do find the classical guitar quite haunting at times. I'd say the same of cello and violin. Even practising vibrato while doing a chromatic scales - takes me outside of myself. Quite moving!

#17 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

Thanks Tana!

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Here is another music in Craft thread . . . note I am too lazy to link them.

#19 Erda

Erda

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

And thanks again.

#20 Guest_Grimr_*

Guest_Grimr_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Chumbley mentions the Bone Trumpet (taken from the grave of a saint or criminal) - considering the nature of bone and the lore of trumpets, one can gleam from this a usage of summoning or 'calling' forth the dead. Same thing could be said of the Spirit rattle or the Skin-Drum. I think you were quick to write off the drum as simply for trance-flight - as considering its basic structure made from tanned skin it would be equally worthy an instrument for shape-changing and arts of warfare. Also, I would consider flutes made from specific woods, such as Elder and Alder, both with a strong magical pedigree. Na'amah was creditied with inventing the finger cymbals, as its sound was pleasing to idols. Also, the apocrypha Book of Job discusses the artes of singing bequethed unto his daughters via that of magical girdles from Heaven - It gave them all the voices of Angels and Archons.
Grimr

"Then rose the one whose name was Day (Yemima) and girt herself; and immediately she departed her body, as her father had said, and she put on another heart, as if she never cared for earthly things. And she sang angelic hymns in the voice of angels, and she chanted forth the angelic praise of God while dancing.

Then the other daughter, Kassia by name, put on the girdle, and her heart was transformed, so that she no longer wished for worldly things. And her mouth assumed the dialect of the heavenly rulers (Archons) and she sang the donology of the work of the High Place and if any one wishes to know the work of the heavens he may take an insight into the hymns of Kassia.

Then did the other daughter by the name of Amalthea’s Horn (Keren Happukh) gird herself and her mouth spoke in the language of those on high; for her heart was transformed, being lifted above the worldly things. She spoke in the dialect of the Cherubim, singing the praise of the Ruler of the cosmic powers (virtues) and extolling their glory." - Testemant of Job 23-28

Edited by Grimr, 19 November 2012 - 07:41 AM.