Stonehenge Decoded

anjeaunot

The National Geographic documentary Stonehenge Decoded explained the controversial theory propounded by Professor Mike Parker-Pearson of Sheffield University.

Viewers watched excavations in progress. Professor Parker-Pearson assembled fellow academics, scientists from other disciplines, and 270 volunteers to verify the new reason why Stonehenge was erected.

Stonehenge was a monument to dead ancestors. Two henges – one in stone and one in wood – were erected circa 2500 BCE.

Professor Parker-Pearson’s project excavated 1000 houses in the neighbourhood of Stonehenge. They are 4500 years old, and this complex is the largest prehistoric settlement in Northern Europe. Its existence had never been suspected.

The absence of farming implements confirms the new theory. This settlement housed the thousands of workers who erected both henges, which were in the same locality.

People came from all over Southern England to honour their ancestors at Midsummer Solstice and Midwinter Solstice.

The Rising Sun entered the focal point of Stonehenge exactly at Midsummer. The worshippers honoured the dead. On Midsummer Day they spent the day walking along the cursus praying to their ancestors for fertility of their land, their animals, and their families.

The Setting Sun sank below the horizon at the focal point of the wooden henge. The worshippers honoured the living. Many of the worshippers engaged in what the documentary coyly described as “marriages”. Many children would be conceived as a result of this propitious time to honour coming life.

The worshippers then traversed an avenue back towards the Stone henge. There had to be a connection (indeed a continuum) between the Home of the Dead and henge which honoured Life. The theme was fertility, and there had to be an interchange of energy between the two sites which honoured the ancestors.

Professor Parker-Pearson had to find this avenue to corroborate his revolutionary theory. Nobody had ever suspected such an avenue existed. Folklore was silent on this issue.

Excavation unearthed this avenue! It certainly looks as if there is substance in this novel theory.

I like the theory of ancestor worship. It sits well with me.

This does sound interesting, I'll have to look this up too! I had an opportunity to visit Stonehenge, but truly what a circus to get there, I declined the visit, after I saw all the fences and barriers at that time. I particularly and throughly enjoyed Avebury better.

Thanks anjeanot!!

Regards to you Both,

Gypsy

This does sound interesting, I'll have to look this up too! I had an opportunity to visit Stonehenge, but truly what a circus to get there, I declined the visit, after I saw all the fences and barriers at that time. I particularly and throughly enjoyed Avebury better.

Thanks anjeanot!!

Regards to you Both,

Gypsy

Dear Gypsy,

I just looked up "Avebury" and looked at the stones and I could see faces in them! Does everyone have such experience or is it just me?!

crystal-gazing.gif

Kind regards to you and everybody,

Heks

(PS am moving forwards on my path, and am very happy; reading, learning, and being!)

Greetings Heks,

Both time I had to opportunity to visit Avebury, I saw the "faces" also.

Good to hear you're happy, keeping your steps purposeful to your respected Path.

Regards,

Gypsy

Dear Gypsy!

Thank you for your reply! That's a relief then, as I already have started seeing faces in birch trees soon after embarking on my journey and I am glad you also see the faces in the stones! thankyou.gif

That is a real comfort to me. I guess that now is the time where the forum will help me progress, as feedback from others, like yourself, is invaluable.

Yes, thank you, I am progressing, and I remember that you told me that to keep growing is the main thing, so I read happily in both the books I have found to be recommended on this forum and also books I bought without previous knowledge; and all of it together keeps me growing, and it feels wonderful!

I do differentiate between books. Some, I allow to enter my soul, so to speak, such as "the Way of Wyrd" or Gemma Gary's book. Other books, which talk more about Paganism and the history of Witchcraft, they do not penetrate further through, their information staying purely in the rational part of my psyche.

Every evening, when the children are duly dispatched to bed, I am free to read and explore Paganism, Witchcraft and to "feel" what the Tarot cards have to say to me! I also purchased the Druid Animal Oracle Deck and pick out one card twice a day, to get a feel of the personalities of different animals.

I have a question: how can one find out which card from the Rider/Waite Tarot corresponds with which animal? I am looking for this, but am not finding it at the minute. Maybe I am not ready for that and it will come upon my path soon! bunny3.gif

I am very lucky to have been accepted on this forum and I am also grateful for all the wonderful help I received in my early stages of my journey! cloud9.gif

Kind regards,

Heks flyaway.gif

edited to say Sorry about posting non-relevant questions here! Won't do it again! kind regards to all! blush.gif

Edited by Heks