68 replies to this topic

#41 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

I watched one episode.  The story line was ok; a bit over-dramatized for my taste.  I found the odd camera angles disorienting.  Of course, I was watching late at night, cuddled up on the bed, half-asleep, so I may not be the best TV show reviewer.  LOL!

#42 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

Sorry, but I don't like it. I agree with Jevne, a lot of overacting going on (along with cleavage, lol).

#43 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Sorry, but I don't like it. I agree with Jevne, a lot of overacting going on (along with cleavage, lol).

Yeah, a lot of over-acting . . . trying too hard to be dark, brooding, etc.  It must be one of those things that you have to watch from beginning of the series to the end of the series to figure out what the hell is going on.

#44 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

Yes I enjoy it, but I agree on the over acting. You have to admire Kathy Bates for keeping her acting on a steady 14 on a scale of 10. while the rest of the cast def edges past ten themselves most of the time. Patti Lupone might give Ms. Bates a run for it from the little we have seen of her thus far. Strange show for sure.

#45 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

It hasn't aired here yet I believe its next week. I have been watching a series called Breaking bad. It is very good im really enjoying it

#46 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

I loved the first season. Havent watched the other two yet

Edited by NiamhBrennaDarcy, 04 February 2014 - 10:17 AM.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#47 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

Yep its shit.........just my opinion tho

#48 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

I just saw the season finale of this.  It was decent.  Its gets points for killing of the characters that were annoying. 

#49 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Although this season lost me in certain places, I did enjoy the finale. I was thinking how nice it would be if we could all just come out in the open and be accepted by society, without fear of persecution. I'm not going to hold my breath mind you.

Edited by Solanaceae, 31 January 2014 - 05:31 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#50 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

I think this season as a whole was pretty awful. Season 2 is still my favorite.
Ryan Murphy made Marie Laveau into a joke, and did the same with voodoo.
As far as the finale went. I had already called the new supreme by mid season. And the whole publicity thing was a crock of shit. Humans fear what that they don't know and can't control. Thousands of girls who have telekinesis, mind control, etc being accepted by the public would never happen. People would fear them constantly. I know if I knew a large select population could hurl me across the room by a flip of their wrist or make me walk into the middle of a busy interstate I wouldn't trust them.so I would like to think that as all of the witches on the show were horrible bitches as well that the witch hunters will come back in and annihilate the entire race.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#51 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Lol. Yes I liked season 2 the best so far.

#52 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

I think this season as a whole was pretty awful. Season 2 is still my favorite.
Ryan Murphy made Marie Laveau into a joke, and did the same with voodoo.
As far as the finale went. I had already called the new supreme by mid season. And the whole publicity thing was a crock of shit. Humans fear what that they don't know and can't control. Thousands of girls who have telekinesis, mind control, etc being accepted by the public would never happen. People would fear them constantly. I know if I knew a large select population could hurl me across the room by a flip of their wrist or make me walk into the middle of a busy interstate I wouldn't trust them.so I would like to think that as all of the witches on the show were horrible bitches as well that the witch hunters will come back in and annihilate the entire race.

Yeah I agree with that. The televised coming out party was very unrealistic, out of place and it felt to me, like a last minute add on.  The majority of the episode had to do with the supreme and then it felt like they had to fill the rest of the time slot and threw together the last bit of the plot.  I caught another couple episodes after I saw the finale and with as much killing and brutality that these chicks carried out, why should they be accepted?Granted I did not see the whole series and maybe if i did, it would fit, but as it stands, I was thrown off by that.  As a stand alone show it was pretty good, but taken in context with other episodes...no. It felt like it was mushing Charmed, the Craft, a little Harry Potter with the school aspect and modern horror. Not my favorite. 

#53 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Season 2 rocked. I found it unsettling that witches were depicted burning other witches at the stake.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#54 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Season 2 rocked. I found it unsettling that witches were depicted burning other witches at the stake.

While the historical accuracy of such claims could easily be called into question, given the lack of available verifiable evidence, I believe that Witches and related practitioners in the past (and today) would have been (and are) more than willing to turn on each other, under the right circumstances.  When faced with the possibility of being discovered and/or killed, turning the attention toward someone else would have been an option.  Witches do not all love and protect each other.  The instinct to survive is quite strong, so I imagine that some of the people, standing around watching others hang or burn at the stake, may have been Witches, thinking better him/her than me.

#55 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

While the historical accuracy of such claims could easily be called into question, given the lack of available verifiable evidence, I believe that Witches and related practitioners in the past (and today) would have been (and are) more than willing to turn on each other, under the right circumstances.  When faced with the possibility of being discovered and/or killed, turning the attention toward someone else would have been an option.  Witches do not all love and protect each other.  The instinct to survive is quite strong, so I imagine that some of the people, standing around watching others hang or burn at the stake, may have been Witches, thinking better him/her than me.

I can see that, Jevne. I think that's human nature (better him/her than me) I've heard this spoken aloud at funerals. I don't think it's far-fetched to imagine cunning folk turning attention from themselves to another (practitioner or not) to save their own hides. 

I just thought it surprisingly ironic to see Witches burn other Witches -- albeit, as a punishment for killing other Witches, not for being one. 

Makes me want to learn more about how stake burning came to be. 

- Pablo Neruda

#56 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

Makes me want to learn more about how stake burning came to be. 

I believe more were actually drowned and beheaded... but there are numerous online historical sites which give the history of burning as a means of death going back to medieval times..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#57 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:38 AM

I believe more were actually drowned and beheaded... but there are numerous online historical sites which give the history of burning as a means of death going back to medieval times..

I'm aware... and yes, you are correct. Thanks :)

I was thinking more along the lines of Witches burning each other at the stake as punishment... plus, how stake burning originated in general and/or which crimes were punishable by this method. 

But, like Jevne said, While the historical accuracy of such claims could easily be called into question, given the lack of available verifiable evidence... 

Should I find anything interesting, I'll post it. 

- Pablo Neruda

#58 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

WITH LINKS !!!!! winks

- Pablo Neruda

#59 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

WITH LINKS !!!!! winks

Burning people alive has been popular since the beginning of history. The use of a stake to secure the victim has been used since at least the 7th century. Death by fire has been used as punishment in nearly every crime imaginable, including thievery, homosexuality, blasphemy, mutiny, et cetera. It's just another method of execution through torture.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#60 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:27 AM

Burning people alive has been popular since the beginning of history. The use of a stake to secure the victim has been used since at least the 7th century. Death by fire has been used as punishment in nearly every crime imaginable, including thievery, homosexuality, blasphemy, mutiny, et cetera. It's just another method of execution through torture.

Oh, I think it goes way further back than the 7th century... heresy and adultery leap to mind, too. 

- Pablo Neruda