Photo
- - - - -

Geode Lore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Last night a few of us were chatting about Geodes (Hi CG and Gramyr),

Posted Image

And I got to thinking about Thunder Eggs, a type of Geode common to my area (Oregon and Washington) and the lore associated with them. In fact they are Oregon's state rock, so of course I was raised learning about them and their lore. Thunder Eggs are a type of rock created by volcanic lava. And some thunder eggs are partially hallow inside so are also Geodes, some are not hallow inside. On the outside a thunder egg looks like a regular round or egg shaped rock. But if cut open they have beautiful formations of various types of crystal inside.

I think we had recently had a discussion about the role of crystals in Traditional Witchcraft, and I mentioned that although I don't tend to use crystals, that these ones are different, because they are a part of my local lore and of course I have one of my own (well actually we have a few in the house for decoration, but I have one in particular that is *mine*). Here is a little excerpt about the spirits who make and use the Thunder Eggs:

Legends of the Warm Springs Indians say that these nodules were hurled from Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson by the "thunder spirits" who lived in the craters of the mountains. The legends say the "spirits of the mountains" robbed the nests of the thunderbirds and hurled the "thunder-eggs" to the accompaniment of much thunder and lightning.
http://bluebook.stat.../teach/rock.htm

Native American legends abound with descriptions of the brothers Wy’east(Hood) and Pahto (Adams) battling for the fair La-wa-la-clough (St. Helens). Behaviors attributed to Wy’east include hurtling of hot rocks from gaping holes, sending forth streams of liquid fire, loss of formerly high summits, and choking of valleys with rocks. These are fair descriptions of Mount Hood’s reconstructed activity over the past two millennia (Excerpt from: Scott, et.al., 1997, Geologic History of Mount Hood Volcano, Oregon — A Field-Trip Guidebook: USGS Open-File Report 97-263)

As you can see the thunder spirits got up to various fights for various reasons depending on which tribe and what part of Oregon. But what they do have in common is that they threw fire and balls or rock at each other, and these were Thunder Eggs.

I look out at Wy'east every day through my window at work and I can spy La-wa-la-clough as I drive home on clear days. La-wa-la-clough used to be a perfect white mountain, a beautiful and tall point. However, only a week after I was born she blew her top (a bit of a change of events, maybe she wanted some attention from Wy'east or Phato and wasn't getting any?!) and now she has a flat round top. She still steams up now and then. She isn't a lava sort, she blows huge amounts of ash, but still quite damaging.

Anyways, that's what Geodes mean to me, I'd love to see CelticGypsy chime in as well as anyone else who relates to these special stones.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

only a week after I was born she blew her top (a bit of a change of events, maybe she wanted some attention from Wy'east or Phato and wasn't getting any?!)

Or maybe she was seriously PO'd about your birth? ;)

Saw some thunder rocks in a store when I was in OR many moons ago but there were no descriptions with them so I didn't know what I was looking at. Too bad. I'd probably have picked one up.

I don't use crystals in my normal workings, either, but I love looking at geodes. I could easily get lost in their sparkly depths. Never found any that 'spoke' to me, though, so I don't have any in the house.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

Or maybe she was seriously PO'd about your birth? ;)

Saw some thunder rocks in a store when I was in OR many moons ago but there were no descriptions with them so I didn't know what I was looking at. Too bad. I'd probably have picked one up.

I don't use crystals in my normal workings, either, but I love looking at geodes. I could easily get lost in their sparkly depths. Never found any that 'spoke' to me, though, so I don't have any in the house.

La-wa-la-clough looking at her reflection: mirror mirror mirror pond, whose the fairest in the land?
Mirror Pond: well ahem Queen La wa la clough, well it was you, until last week when this little white baby girl with white hair was born, her name means Princess.
La-wa-la-clough: WHAT!!!Posted Image

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#4 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

~ dingdingding~ I'm chiming in Sara ! lol ----- Great Post ----- By the way.

What Sara says is very true about a conversation in the Chat Room regarding Geodes. I inquired of her if she used stones in her tradition, when doing a working. She does, like a few of us here. My personal tradition is the use of numbers with stones. I have been fond of using 3 different stones when I initiate a working. I've used up to 8 stones depending on what I'm working or enhancing in my path working.

I had a revelation the other day about a certain stone in my cache of stones, it was the use of a Geode. When I study the stone on the outside, it's not very pretty, it's pretty much ordinary, but when I look on the inside, it's a wonderment. The stone is one half, can't tell you where the other half is, it's naturally broken. But I know that stone freaks love to cut stones in half and see what is inside.

The Geode to me, symbolizes the heart or womb or tomb of the stone. To work with this symbology is meaningful to me, if I break it down piece by piece it tells me things.

1. Outside doesn't matter, it's what's inside that does, that private world, known only to the practicing Witch, keeping it with the darkness, and not caring whether or not they will be admired.

2. Traditional Witches like the Geode, do not care or give into the just the pretty parts of the Craft, they take the ugly for the beauty within.

3. Traditional Witches are not afraid of what lies beneath the outter side of the Darkness, they accept the Bright with the Dark. It is a balance, Traditional Witches will battle to keep.

4. The Geode is an earthly gift, it's from Nature, within its inner workings is where the magic is, concealed from ordinary folks, as the outside is not worth looking at, or warrents investigation.

5. The inside of a Geode, is to go beneath its crusty shell, and go to another world, inbedded within the stone. I can't say if it's the Underworld, but I don't know a Witch yet that does not investigate further.

Gramayr delighted us with some beautiful photographs of Geodes to give the conversation a focal point. At some point I will thread to this Post with some photos of my Geodes. I truely believe that this form of stone, would give any Witch information, not just me. I'd sure like to know what comes to mind for my Peers when they consider the Geode.

Thank you Sara for initiating this post.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#5 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:57 AM

Look at the one second from the bottom of the page stage right...has a pentagram.

http://www.rocksfork...R&M/geodes.html

#6 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:37 AM

I love geodes and all their symbolism. I only have one, half of one actually and its very small, about an inch in diameter. I found it while weeding my flower bed one day about 7 years ago. It's a beautiful little thing, felt like a lovely gift.

Great post Sara, voting it up.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#7 GardeningMommy

GardeningMommy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:35 AM

My husband laughs at me, because unlike a lot of females, I don't give a fling about shoes, clothes, or jewelery. However, hand me a plant or a rock or a seashell, and I'm the happiest girl in the world. Needless to say, my house is dripping in all three. Some of my most prized possessions are geodes, and I have two large, gorgeous ones sitting on my fireplace mantel. Yes, I love the lore behind them, but to me, geodes are all about peace. I don't know why, I don't know what ever gave me that idea, but I just find them to be so calming. In fact, my bff who lives a couple of states over in Kentucky gave me one that he found while hiking recently, and I actually sleep with it at night. I used to have a ton of trouble sleeping, but that's a thing of the past since I got my new geode. All I have to do is hold it in my hand, and no matter how trying my day has been, the tension just melts away.

#8 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

When researching the thunder eggs, I did see one site that described the properties of the rocks, and it was peace, because the natives say the rocks although tossed about by spirits in anger, become the quiet after the storm.

http://www.mindbodys...m/thunder_eggs. The description is pretty helpful up to the very end when she starts to get new age on ya. But I appreciate how these stones can be thrown in anger and storm but then clear the air for peace.

#9 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

I agree the Geodes are very soothing, and peaceful to look at. I get that from them too. Since Witches can jump into other places, I'd surmize that Geode Jumping would be a facinating journey.;)

Sara, I can't see the link you provided, I get an error message.Posted Image It may be ME, I can readilly accept that, but would you check and see from your side for me ? Thank you, I'd love to hear more.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

#10 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Thunder eggs
There was a full stop on the end of the URL stopping it from working.
Think that's got it :)

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#11 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

Here a some of my Geodes, I took 2 photos of them to show the difference between the "outside" and then the "inside". The outside of them are really dull, superficial, what they lack in character outwords, they make up for it on the "inside." One never knows what they're gonna kick up on a walk or a path. ;)

Regards,
Gypsy

Attached Files

#12 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

Here a some of my Geodes, I took 2 photos of them to show the difference between the "outside" and then the "inside". The outside of them are really dull, superficial, what they lack in character outwords, they make up for it on the "inside." One never knows what they're gonna kick up on a walk or a path. ;)

Regards,
Gypsy

Attempt # 2 to attach the other photo. :pumpkin_rolleyes: <~~ yes, a pumpkin head when it comes to this kind of stuff. lol !

#13 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

Posted Image

Finally, the BACKside of my Geodes........see nothing to really draw the eye.... like one of my Peers said to me...... " Hidden in Plain Sight "

Regards,
Gypsy