- - - - -

About newbies...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lurky_*

Guest_Lurky_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

I've noticed a lot of threads in the guest forum about being accepted. I understand that you want to protect your members, but is there a specific reason why so many seem to be rejected? It seems like they aren't given much of a chance, especially when the only place they can post is here, and there's generally no discussions taking place. I'm still trying to figure out if this board is the right place for me, but I'm trying to be cautious because it seems like the acceptance process is fairly arbitrary.

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

You're trying to figure out if this board is "the right place for you". Shoe on the other foot: are you right for this board? Acceptance is based on the applicant's answers to the questions posed and whether the staff feels the applicant would fit with our current membership.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 Guest_Lurky_*

Guest_Lurky_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

Thank you! That is a very honest and straight-forward answer. I've looked at the registration questions, but never gone through with answering them. I find them very open-ended and a good way to reflect on my practice. I do wish that there was a little more I could do for you to get to know me and vice versa rather than just answer questions without a follow-up (I'm sorry, I'm assuming there's no follow up.).

I was simple wondering by what criteria the questions were looked at. I get the "no Wiccans, no inflammatory individuals, no trolls," rule, but beyond that it seems rather subjective. You could be TOO nice (and appear needy) and turn an admin off. You could be not nice enough (and appear bitchy) and piss an admin off. You could have years of trad experience that some don't find "genuine" enough, or so on and so forth.

But on the bright side, like I said, these questions have made me reflect and really consider "What traditional witchcraft means to me?" and the evolution of my path. I just wish there was more opportunity in the forums for people to get to know one another. That's all.

Thank you, Mountain Witch.

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:49 PM

Or you could just answer the questions honestly and be yourself. Save everyone a bit of time and trouble, lol.

M

#5 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:13 AM

but beyond that it seems rather subjective.

Of course it is subjective. Applicants are accepted if we think they will fit in. We have only our opinion, formed by your answers to the questions, to go on. We don't claim this is infallible and indeed make mistakes. However this is the way we find works best and we make no apology for that. Answer the questions honestly and you may be pleasantly surprised.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#6 Guest_CelticMagnolia_*

Guest_CelticMagnolia_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

I was recently rejected, and I can see Lurky's point. I was open and honest, and from reading these forums I feel like I have a lot to offer and in common. I do wish I knew what about me doesn't fit, but to ask that would seem like a poseur IMO. Like I'm only asking so I can learn the secret to "get in." I agree with Michelle and Tana. The only way you know about the process is to go through the process. I'm not giving up. I plan on reading the forums and trying to start some convos in this forum (because it does lack anything of substance). Hopefully, in time, I can get to know those on the boards and they can get to know me. I won't change myself to join, but I will put myself out there to see what happens.

When I reapply, I will still be me, but perhaps the dynamics will have changed to where I'm accepted.

You'll never know unless you try. :) And in the meantime, there's a wealth of information to explore here.

#7 Guest_CelticMagnolia_*

Guest_CelticMagnolia_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:23 AM

And I meant that the guest forum tends to like conversations of substance, not the whole site. Just clarifying.

#8 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:09 AM

I was recently rejected, and I can see Lurky's point. I was open and honest, and from reading these forums I feel like I have a lot to offer and in common. I do wish I knew what about me doesn't fit, but to ask that would seem like a poseur IMO. Like I'm only asking so I can learn the secret to "get in." I agree with Michelle and Tana. The only way you know about the process is to go through the process. I'm not giving up. I plan on reading the forums and trying to start some convos in this forum (because it does lack anything of substance). Hopefully, in time, I can get to know those on the boards and they can get to know me. I won't change myself to join, but I will put myself out there to see what happens.

The questions are there I think to suss out whether or not you truly understand what Trad Witchcraft is and how you will fit in here. When I first applied, I was knocked back but I took some time and really thought about my answers.....and voila, here I am.

The best way to approach the questionnaire is to NOT think of answers you think the Mods would want to hear. Think of it more as a personal conversation - how would you answer if a friend asked you about Trad Witchcraft? That's the best way to approach it I think.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#9 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:31 AM

Spend more time reading the forums, there is so much stuff to read on here. My belief is that if a rejection makes you frustrated with the process or towards the moderators, then you won't likely be a good fit. The members here who had that attitude towards mods from the beginning did not fit in and eventually were deleted for their inability to accept moderator calls or left on their own because they didn't get our culture. Stacey was right on to keep studying and developing after her initial rejection. Sure one will feel a tad sore about being rejected, that's natural. This is not the only forum on the Internet, nor the only place to learn about traditional craft. So keep on working on you whether that be a person who is a good fit for TW or not. You will keep growing and benefiting.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#10 Guest_CelticMagnolia_*

Guest_CelticMagnolia_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:45 AM

Spend more time reading the forums, there is so much stuff to read on here. My belief is that if a rejection makes you frustrated with the process or towards the moderators, then you won't likely be a good fit. The members here who had that attitude towards mods from the beginning did not fit in and eventually were deleted for their inability to accept moderator calls or left on their own because they didn't get our culture. Stacey was right on to keep studying and developing after her initial rejection. Sure one will feel a tad sore about being rejected, that's natural. This is not the only forum on the Internet, nor the only place to learn about traditional craft. So keep on working on you whether that be a person who is a good fit for TW or not. You will keep growing and benefiting.

Oh, I am. It's killing me not to be able to contribute, but I'm learning a lot and seeing a lot of ideas and viewpoints that I can incorporate into my own practice. Found a thread on witch bottles that was particularly good, and since I'm not very experience with spells utilizing knots/cords, I've been taking a gander there. :-)

In my religious practices I'm a Celtic Reconstructionist, and my personal tradition is to spend a lot of my time between Samhain and Imbolc reevaluating and meditating on how to grow in the coming year. I think I may try my application again once this period is over.

#11 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Honestly, I'd say if you're worrying about whether or not you'll be accepted you should take that as a sign. Like others have said, think about what TW really means to you and continue to read through the forum. It took over a year for me to join and the first time I decided to, I was accepted. It's a process and there really is no rush. There is already so much information available to you without being a member. I think you can post various things here as a guest so you can start up topics you wish to talk about, right? :)
I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#12 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

Well maybe we will see you here as a member in February. Here's hoping right?
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#13 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

Honestly, I'd say if you're worrying about whether or not you'll be accepted you should take that as a sign. Like others have said, think about what TW really means to you and continue to read through the forum. It took over a year for me to join and the first time I decided to, I was accepted. It's a process and there really is no rush. There is already so much information available to you without being a member. I think you can post various things here as a guest so you can start up topics you wish to talk about, right? :)

That's true! There is no rush and the best thing one can do is explore the site first. For me, the process was a matter of hours, rather than a year, weeks or days but that's because I already had in mind what I was looking for, and the more I looked here, the most it resonated with me. I read over all the new and potential member announcements first and I was glad I did because it was 100% compatible with me to the point where it looked just like the things I might say. Then I read the posts, and found the information abundant but not only that, the members had a great sense of humor, and were themselves. No sugar coating or phony baloney stuff.

Advice I would give to guests looking to join would be first off, the questionnaire is important, do not leave it blank, they do care about what you say and if you don't take it seriously and leave it all blank, the mods/admins won't have a good enough idea of you to even give you a chance. When you fill it out, put yourself in their shoes. If you were them, you would want to know about the person, rather than canned what you think they want to hear responses. So honesty is the best policy as it is part of what helps you determine if you would be a good fit for the forum and so forth.

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#14 The Muse

The Muse

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

I think the best way is to simply be honest.

When I registered, I had literaly just come across the site. I'd scanned it and realised it was something that I definitely wanted to keep as I had been looking for something exactly like it for a long time. I then registered so I would be able to keep it in my email to find it again. I didn't even realise that you had to be 'accepted' until a notice came up at the end.

When I filled out the answers to the questions, I didn't realise that a mod would be deciding anything from it. I thought that it would simply be a part of my site bio.
It was simple. I think that maybe one of my answers had more than ten words.

Try not to overthink it.

#15 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

I have to agree with my peers, definately be honest. When I filled out my application I typed as if I was talking to the mods in person as if it were casual conversation. I just poured my heart out in to the questions because that is how I speak. I wasn't trying to construct the proper response to get in. Also, keep it simple. By keeping it simple I mean just be straightforward and answer the question. You don't have to write a book, but you don't have to have an answer that is one word or a couple words long either. Actually, the more you write, the more the mods can gauge your personality and that can be benificial or detrimential, but that is the only way we can get to know you. So basically, the questions are there for you to convey yourself accurately to complete strangers. If you fudge the questions or misrepresent yourself, then your word is worth nothing and you might as well not even bother because all we have on this forum are words.

#16 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

Hm! Some people I would suspect (having been on other sites), try to pull the wool over the Administrator's or Mediator's eyes. Having been an Admin staff, Mediator and an owner of some groups on Yahoo, and elsewhere, privately owned, we don't take kindly to beeing fleeced. When it happens, quite a lot of newbie's get bounced to Gehenna, Sheol or some other place of our choosing. ;) In short they are banned. It all depends on degree..Of course they can re-apply, but if their attitude is the same - and a lot of people don't like changing their view on life, the universe, and that their understanding that god is 42 or two white mice - might be wrong. It is in your hands how you play this (and others reading this post). Don't think the Mediators or the owners of this site are fools they are not! Here endeth the first lesson! foxman

#17 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

. . .  Don't think the Mediators or the owners of this site are fools they are not! Here endeth the first lesson! foxman

Having been a member of the TW Forum for going on 4 years, I can attest to the fact that the Owners and Moderators of the site are good people and certainly not fools.  They have both covered (and admonished) my slightly arrogant, but well-meaning ass on more than one occasion, which I respect.  If I didn't trust them to keep an eye on folks, including me ;) , I wouldn't be here.

However, who are you referring to when you say  . . . "Here endeth the first lesson"?  I am curious, because you have only been on the Forum for a few days, which technically makes you a Newbie, too.  Or did you mean it, as a general statement about the expectations for interaction on a forum of this nature?

Jevne

#18 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:40 AM

I've noticed a lot of threads in the guest forum about being accepted. I understand that you want to protect your members, but is there a specific reason why so many seem to be rejected? It seems like they aren't given much of a chance, especially when the only place they can post is here, and there's generally no discussions taking place. I'm still trying to figure out if this board is the right place for me, but I'm trying to be cautious because it seems like the acceptance process is fairly arbitrary.

Since this thread has been bumped from 2011, and going back to the OP, I will add a couple of things...

As well as unsuccessful applicants who obviously are very worthy and have lots to offer, but are wrong for the ethos of this site... we get a LOT of nutters applying!

I mean really off the wall, jaw dropping, astoundingly self-deluded nutters. They are the hidden 9/10th of the iceberg of applications, generally not hard to spot, and generally hilarious.

This is why we suspend applications around Samhain, because they really crawl out of the woodwork then!

More seriously though and as mentioned before, people do slip through the net. People lie on their applications etc, but we have the additional layer of the seekers level to weed these out. 

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#19 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

In short they are banned. It all depends on degree..Of course they can re-apply, but if their attitude is the same - and a lot of people don't like changing their view on life, the universe, and that their understanding that god is 42 or two white mice - might be wrong.

Are you saying that in order to be a member of your website/forum you would expect your members to change their world view to match yours?

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#20 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

Have been thinking a lot about this thread, and the mechanism we use to approve members.

For interest, or info, we are not looking for people with exactly the same views as ourselves. 'Yes witches' I call them.

We love diversity, both in character and opinion. That is what generates debate and keeps people interested in talking to each other through the slightly odd medium of online forums.

I endorse the advice above to 'be yourself'. When it is right, membership happens.

)0( Tana )o(